The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 14 August 2020, 11:09 AM   #1
AAP8
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LN
MontBlanc Disney vs Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal Dream

Hey All,

Looking for some opinions on these 2 pens:

Great Characters Walt Disney Special Edition https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/foun...411797996.html

Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal Dream https://www.visconti.it/en/homo-sapi...-fountain-pen/

My wife wants a new fountain pen and has been looking at these 2 - so I figured I would ask here. We have a few other pens, I have a Visconti Homo Sapiens Dark Ages, a MontBlanc LeGrand Diamond Ballpoint, and a bunch of other cheaper pens. These 2 are both in similar price range, wondering if anyone has a perspective on either of these.
AAP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 04:16 PM   #2
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
As far as the Disney, I don't like any pen with that much metal. Especially in the section where my hand has to touch / use the metal to write with.

The Visconti Crystal is a bit too new for me to decide. I like its design, but I will have to wait to see how the price of the pen goes over the next few months.

I do like being able to see the ink reservoir. Visconti creates a very nice pen and I own a 1/2 dozen or so, but they are expensive and in some ways not practical. For example their pen clips. For the most part, it's a two hander to put in your pocket. I do love their nibs. Mostly, they are worth the asking price, but to be candid, when I am going to spend the best part of $1000.00 on a fountain pen, I will wait long enough to save up for a nice Japanese Urushi such as a Namiki, Taccia, or Dani Trio and others! Nothing like them and so beautiful as well as useful. Raden strikes a soft spot in my FP soul.

Good luck!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 11:32 PM   #3
AAP8
"TRF" Member

Thank You, I hear what you are saying but in learning about the Urushi pens, I feel like they are too precious for daily use? What is your experience with using them daily? I feel that since each is a unique piece basically, service will be impossible 5-10 years from now. Which means it’s more of a “special events” type writer
Old 17 August 2020, 04:59 AM   #4
wesdaniel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
I'm far (very far) from a pen expert. But, if you can get the Disney Limited Edition, I'd say that one. To me, it's just mesmerizing. Between the two above, I can't really comment - I looked at the Disney Spedial Edition and just wasn't "wowed," and don't know the Visconti at all.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 06:21 AM   #5
AAP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
I'm far (very far) from a pen expert. But, if you can get the Disney Limited Edition, I'd say that one. To me, it's just mesmerizing. Between the two above, I can't really comment - I looked at the Disney Spedial Edition and just wasn't "wowed," and don't know the Visconti at all.
I think the Limited Edition would never get used - at that price point, carrying it daily would make my wife nuts and she would just leave it at home. But I do love the looks of it too.

At this point, I think the lean is towards the Disney as I have another Visconti that we can share as well.
Old 17 August 2020, 08:51 AM   #6
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAP8 View Post
Thank You, I hear what you are saying but in learning about the Urushi pens, I feel like they are too precious for daily use? What is your experience with using them daily? I feel that since each is a unique piece basically, service will be impossible 5-10 years from now. Which means it’s more of a “special events” type writer
Urishi products in my opinion and from my reading are as tough as steel!

Many urishi bowls and utensils have lasted for a 1000 years with no real evidence of wear.

Urishi is a tree sap / product that is superb in its characteristics. Please research it on Google and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by its strength and lasting beauty. It is quite a story!

And don't forget some of the artistry that is very often included with urishi. Some of it is astonishing!

Photo courtesy of Nibsmith!

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 03:01 AM   #7
AAP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Urishi products in my opinion and from my reading are as tough as steel!

Many urishi bowls and utensils have lasted for a 1000 years with no real evidence of wear.

Urishi is a tree sap / product that is superb in its characteristics. Please research it on Google and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by its strength and lasting beauty. It is quite a story!

And don't forget some of the artistry that is very often included with urishi. Some of it is astonishing!

Photo courtesy of Nibsmith!

Any ideas of good places online to learn about where to buy these? They dont seem to be at the 'bigger' online shops so I assume I am just looking in the wrong place.
Old 18 August 2020, 11:30 AM   #8
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Urushi has long been used as a surface treatment for everything from storage boxes and statues and dishes and bowls and building interiors and exteriors and armor and yes, fountain pens. It's been a choice for everyday use items as well as luxury art items. It's also a living surface that changes over time, becoming increasingly transparent to allow lower layers to be seen.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 11:37 AM   #9
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Any ideas of good places online to learn about where to buy these? They dont seem to be at the 'bigger' online shops so I assume I am just looking in the wrong place.
Start at the source. Go to the Nakaya English language site and to the Danitrio site and to Chatterley Luxuries and Nibs.com.

Also maybe you might enjoy a short piece I wrote on Urushi called "Playing with Poison Ivy" and on my introduction to the craft.

Last edited by jar; 18 August 2020 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: add links and PRON
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 05:03 AM   #10
Burlington
"TRF" Member

That’s a really great post - I enjoyed reading the poison ivy article very much. Thank you for sharing

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote