The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2023, 04:02 AM   #1
sxdcfv911
"TRF" Member

Royal oak concept tourbillon “spider‑man”

I think this is a quite a bit different than the Black Panther edition, this Spider Man just looks a bit too much like a kids watch? I think this is one of those love-it or hate-it pieces. Thoughts?
sxdcfv911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 04:21 AM   #2
Miker86
"TRF" Member

I thought it was a joke then it slowly dawned that’s it real…..
Miker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 04:27 AM   #3
construda
"TRF" Member

They really missed a golden opportunity here to introduce a new complication

construda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 04:54 AM   #4
CactusTreeFiddy
"TRF" Member

Spiderman
CactusTreeFiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 05:02 AM   #5
Mercutio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxdcfv911 View Post
I think this is a quite a bit different than the Black Panther edition, this Spider Man just looks a bit too much like a kids watch? I think this is one of those love-it or hate-it pieces. Thoughts?
Fully agree. In particular the communication around it was odd, to say the least - bridging worlds into pop culture beyond haute horology

Gave me strong Mille- and Vertu-vibes
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 05:18 AM   #6
ajw99
"TRF" Member

Please say it ain't so...

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
ajw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 10:11 PM   #7
ajw99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw99 View Post
Please say it ain't so...

The Black Panther, which I saw in-person, didn't seem toyish or garish to my eyes. It was actually quite exquisite when looking at it from a detail and finish perspective, even if you don't like purple or the character or character-based pieces in general.

The issue for me with Spiderman may be just the color ways and location of Spidey... It just doesn't look high-end or special because the bright red and blue are so bright, and the colorway and also the positioning and pose of Spiderman detract too much from the rest of the watch and seem a bit garish. I would like to see it in-person, regardless.

I imagine these will sell, regardless. If I were a massive Spidey fan, in addition to being a true AP fan, I see the allure.

My bigger concern is if AP start rolling out all these Avengers models. That would diminish the AP brand for me, even if they are technically amazing pieces (e.g., finishing, etc.).

ajw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 10:25 PM   #8
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw99 View Post
My bigger concern is if AP start rolling out all these Avengers models. That would diminish the AP brand for me, even if they are technically amazing pieces (e.g., finishing, etc.).
While I agree with your reservations regarding the in-your-face color way, the 3D perspective incorporated in the spiderman figurine is quite amazing. Makes the black panther look like it was run over by a steam roller, in comparison. I wonder if the effect works as well (or maybe better?) in real life as in pictures.

Seems the planned cadence is one every two years, so it will take a while to tour the whole Marvel canon.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 06:15 AM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Royal oak concept tourbillon “spider‑man”

Hard to take any AP seriously at this point….

Just sad.

Last edited by Cru Jones; 26 May 2023 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: https://www.ablogtowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Audemars-Piguet-Royal-Oak-Concept-Tourbillon-Spider-Man-6.jpg
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 08:47 AM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Hard to take any AP seriously at this point….

Just sad.

This is the way brands are going. Shock value and in your face for a lot of pieces. AP also has that music soundboard dial.

Even rolex did it with the bubbles and patek did it with that monstrosity the blue tiffany dial.

Zenith has a watch that is half black and white.

They are all going this route because brands like RM are successful and let's face it watches in general are boring.

AP has taken the Royal Oak as far as it can go.

So instead of a 38 mm diver offshore we get this.

That said Kurono has a new watch dropping tomorrow for 1800 bucks. There are still good options out there.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 06:16 AM   #11
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

I have to say, I love that they’re sticking with the theme. Mark my words, the day will come where we‘ll rever them for creating that as what we’ll eventually refer to as an „iconic“ genre.

You don’t have to like the piece itself, but you have to respect the boldness and the creativity they are bringing to the line.

If you want boring watches that look like last year’s model with a new color, it’s not like they didn’t have you covered in other product lines after all.

This is for entertainment, it’s free to all of us as none of us have to buy it to enjoy the fact it chases the boredom out of our feeds for a little while, so let’s take it for what it is and stay positive. This is fun

I mean how is this worse than a Skull or Pharell Astronaut RM?

Ordinary hard working people get convinced into spending what little money they should really be putting away for the kids’ college on a shoddily built and not frankly pretty Tag Heuer because Steve McQueen had a non speaking role in a boring car movie few have actually seen…

But somehow AP taking an Oligarch‘s money for superb craftsmanship because he likes Marvel comics is bad? Come one guys.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 06:31 AM   #12
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
I have to say, I love that they’re sticking with the theme. Mark my words, the day will come where we‘ll rever them for creating that as what we’ll eventually refer to as an „iconic“ genre.

You don’t have to like the piece itself, but you have to respect the boldness and the creativity they are bringing to the line.

If you want boring watches that look like last year’s model with a new color, it’s not like they didn’t have you covered in other product lines after all.

This is for entertainment, it’s free to all of us as none of us have to buy it to enjoy the fact it chases the boredom out of our feeds for a little while, so let’s take it for what it is and stay positive. This is fun

Ordinary hard working people get convinced into spending what little money they should really be putting away for the kids’ college on a shoddily built and not frankly pretty Tag Heuer because Steve McQueen had a non speaking role in a boring car movie few have actually seen…

But somehow AP taking an Oligarch‘s money for superb craftsmanship because he likes Marvel comics is bad? Come one guys.
I agree. It’s just a few pieces that reveal the playful creativity FHB has allowed. I think we’re going to miss him.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 01:34 PM   #13
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well put, Fred. Especially with the future character release(s) planned, the collection of these Marvel pieces will go down in history as something daring and special that only AP could pull off. The initial wave of naysayers is always expected, and even I have to check my attitude lest I miss the larger implication of each of the Marvel pieces. Moreover, your comparison to RM’s astronaut is notable, with this Spidey piece having the marvel (no pun) of AP’s openworking skills on display. Ultimately, it’s just a few pieces with various dimensions of significance and fun.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 02:24 PM   #14
Napaswar
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Totally agree. These kinds of watches may not be everyone cup of tea. Some may like while some may hate it.
I get that collectors who prefer PP 2499, or VC 222 or even FPJ may hate but there is a big chunk of collectors with big money who can pay for RM due to the expanded market now love it. Finally, prices reflect the demands.

AP wouldn't be struggling to find owners for 250 pieces around the world and I'd say congratulations to them as one of the milestones of haute horology x entertainment.
Napaswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 06:41 AM   #15
messikens
"TRF" Member

I agree it's a bit gimmicky but seriously there's only 250 of them WORLDWIDE. Unlikely any of us are ever going to see them in person let alone get the opportunity to buy one.

I'd much rather have AP do this once at a while vs PP making a big hullabaloo that their charcoal dial on the 5226 is "innovation"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 06:45 AM   #16
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
My opinion on this is the same as it was for the black panther:
1) It is not for you or me.
2) I hate it, but it is actually very well done. Look at the engraving and paint quality.
3) It is a collab piece, so it is meant to be obnoxious.
4) it will appear on the wrist of a basketball player or equivalent very soon.

Great PR for AP, even if most of it will be (IMO, unjustifiably) bad.
Old 26 May 2023, 03:24 PM   #17
gregouille
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
My opinion on this is the same as it was for the black panther:
1) It is not for you or me.
2) I hate it, but it is actually very well done. Look at the engraving and paint quality.
3) It is a collab piece, so it is meant to be obnoxious.
4) it will appear on the wrist of a basketball player or equivalent very soon.

Great PR for AP, even if most of it will be (IMO, unjustifiably) bad.

This !
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 07:18 AM   #18
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Seems to me some are taking either this watch or themselves (or both) a bit too seriously. I'm sure AP will have no problem finding 250 people who think this is a fun way to drop a few day's salary/income.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 26 May 2023, 07:41 AM   #19
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
https://youtu.be/DuEWaz9lnrg
Video and live pics.
The level of details and 3D they went in is quite extraordinary.
Price: 195k CHF
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 01:34 PM   #20
DonLee
"TRF" Member

I would love to have the same watch but without the Spider-Man blocking my view of the movement and tourbillon.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 04:00 PM   #21
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
I would love to have the same watch but without the Spider-Man blocking my view of the movement and tourbillon.
You can, in the 11.59 case

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 01:37 PM   #22
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I don’t understand the hate for this. To make something different, something g fun. Well done AP. Be some collection this and the BP
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 10:22 PM   #23
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsoftee View Post
I don’t understand the hate for this. To make something different, something g fun. Well done AP. Be some collection this and the BP
I wasn't a fan of this one based on the first leaks, but have already come around. Good for AP to have some fun with a fraction of a percent of their annual output. Prefer taking some risks to what passes as innovation elsewhere in the industry, where a new dial or bezel color or a literal re-edition of a half-forgotten 40-yr old design is the height of inventiveness.
Old 26 May 2023, 10:22 PM   #24
James.B
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, VC, AP & Rolex
195k Swiss Francs. bit much..
James.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 12:52 AM   #25
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.B View Post
195k Swiss Francs. bit much..

For a 250 LE concept with 50h hand finishing for the main figure I think it's probably about middle of the road for AP, certainly not overpriced. The ROO concept tourb (avocado) was 285k

And the buyers getting their hands on this certainly don't have to scrap together funds. It won't be their 4th or 5th AP, most likely it'll be their 9-15th AP...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 11:31 PM   #26
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

AP's 'colorful' limited releases continue to be home runs, in my opinion. If I had the status/ funds/ pull, my only request would be Venom instead of the symbiote Spider-Man.

I've got Amazing Spider-Man 252 at home...maybe someone will trade me one of these for my comic.
-dustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 12:31 AM   #27
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
The white gold deserves some photos here as well…

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 04:55 AM   #28
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
The white gold deserves some photos here as well…

Overall not a huge fan of superhero things anymore, probably too old now being closer to 40, than 30. However, I have to say the black version looks amazing, and absolutely cannot deny the phenomenal watch making prowess on display. Kudos to AP i say for doing something a bit more avant-garde

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 12:19 AM   #29
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Overall not a huge fan of superhero things anymore, probably too old now being closer to 40, than 30. However, I have to say the black version looks amazing, and absolutely cannot deny the phenomenal watch making prowess on display. Kudos to AP i say for doing something a bit more avant-garde
Agreed! The black Spidey version is truly cool and amazing. Also, seeing short videos of the Spidey watch really highlights how good the 3D effect is, so must be awesome in person.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 01:49 AM   #30
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Agreed! The black Spidey version is truly cool and amazing. Also, seeing short videos of the Spidey watch really highlights how good the 3D effect is, so must be awesome in person.
Third vote - the black spiderman piece unique looks amazing (pun intended). Not sure if $6.2M-fantastic, but definitely something that would be exciting for the $250-300k a regular LE might command.