The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 June 2023, 04:42 AM   #1
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Anyone familiar with owning property in Alaska?

I’ve been contemplating buying a 10-50 acre tract pretty much anywhere in Alaska that I can halfway easily access. My plan is to build our own small cabin like they did in the old days. I will use a chainsaw instead of an axe and modern sealant in between my “Lincoln log” cabin, preferably using timber fallen on the property to build with. It has been on my radar for a while and now it’s got the ability to come to fruition.

I have looked at many properties online and I know what will need to be done physically to build my cabin. I expect after a season or two of building we will use it for around a month a year and let family and friends use it the rest of the time. Anyone here ever done something similar? Live/lived in Alaska? I am open to any knowledge learned you’re willing to share.

As of right now I’m looking at properties that abut water that’s large and calm enough to land a sea plane (she isn’t happy about me buying a seaplane but I think waterfront would be better in the long run) or properties that have road or trail access. I’d be open to properties that are landlocked by others for cheap if I can work out an easement access.

It’s always been a goal of mine to have a desolate cabin where it’s only my family and nature.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 04:48 AM   #2
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
One of the cable channels has a show "Building Off the Grid." There's another show called "Buying Alaska." Great info as a starting point.
Old 8 June 2023, 04:48 AM   #3
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Get plenty of bear spray.
Old 8 June 2023, 04:56 AM   #4
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
One of the cable channels has a show "Building Off the Grid." There's another show called "Buying Alaska." Great info as a starting point.

Thanks!! I will look them up.

Old 8 June 2023, 04:57 AM   #5
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
Get plenty of bear spray.

I’m not worried about the bears. They want to wreck my cooler to get some food I’m not gonna try to stop them.

Old 8 June 2023, 04:58 AM   #6
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I had a friend do a self-build log cabin on a few acres outside of Durango, Colorado.

Their biggest lesson was do not buy any piece of land that does not have a sufficient enough well flow to handle at least 150% of your predicted needs. What they thought would be adequate fell well short and they ended up having to haul water up once every couple of weeks. This turned out to bite them hard when they had to sell.

Since you are building with logs you cut on property, I recall they also had to let the downed logs site dry for about 3 years to get down to an acceptable moisture content to build without worrying about twisting and shrinking blowing out the chinking. They lived in a trailer on site during this time as they had a septic field and well done first.

They also bought some type of fitting (which I believe went on their portable saw mill) that let them notch the logs and get even more r-value than stacked logs alone.

It took them 4 years to build (they also had full time jobs) once the foundation went up. This was the only part they contracted out. The place was nice but, in the end, they felt they should have bought a log shell kit and saved several years of work.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 05:02 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I have no experience but this honestly sounds amazing
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 05:03 AM   #8
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I had a friend do a self-build log cabin on a few acres outside of Durango, Colorado.

Their biggest lesson was do not buy any piece of land that does not have a sufficient enough well flow to handle at least 150% of your predicted needs. What they thought would be adequate fell well short and they ended up having to haul water up once every couple of weeks. This turned out to bite them hard when they had to sell.

Since you are building with logs you cut on property, I recall they also had to let the downed logs site dry for about 3 years to get down to an acceptable moisture content to build without worrying about twisting and shrinking blowing out the chinking. They lived in a trailer on site during this time as they had a septic field and well done first.

They also bought some type of fitting (which I believe went on their portable saw mill) that let them notch the logs and get even more r-value than stacked logs alone.

It took them 4 years to build (they also had full time jobs) once the foundation went up. This was the only part they contracted out. The place was nice but, in the end, they felt they should have bought a log shell kit and saved several years of work.

Thank you for the insight. This is what I need.

The romantic and builder in me thinks I can spend a few months out of the year and have an acceptable little cabin. Clearly that’s not going to work unless I truck timber in. One of the properties in looking at is 224’ above sea level. I presume a 400’ well would be sufficient but also, I’m used to Florida where our water table is 3’. Thank you for bringing up great points to consider first.

Old 8 June 2023, 05:05 AM   #9
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I have no experience but this honestly sounds amazing

Don’t tell Paul but I will make sure you and Andrea have a room if you ever want it!!

Old 8 June 2023, 05:18 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Don’t tell Paul but I will make sure you and Andrea have a room if you ever want it!!

Oh man that would be simply fantastic!

I don't think Paul gets out of his kooshy layer in So Cal

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 06:14 AM   #11
ras47
"TRF" Member

BLACK bears want to get into your cooler. Or trash.
BROWN bears want all that, and maybe to get into YOU.
Old 8 June 2023, 06:39 AM   #12
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
BLACK bears want to get into your cooler. Or trash.
BROWN bears want all that, and maybe to get into YOU.

Well. Inuit people have lived in Alaska and surrounding areas for years and they’ve figured out how to deal with the bears. I’m sure I am capable as well. I’d rather not live in fear.

Funny thing is one of my life goals is taking a Christmas picture of me catching salmon by hand in waders with grizzlies in the background doing the same, it’d be even better on my own property in my own stream. Yeah, there is potential of being mauled but there is also potential for epic life experience. I will take life experience over fear most any day of the week. Hell, I could be killed tomorrow in a car accident because of someone else.

Live your life how you want, I will LOVE mine on my own terms.

Thanks for the contribution anyways!!

Old 8 June 2023, 06:49 AM   #13
ras47
"TRF" Member

My own terms include protecting myself for worst case scenarios. While I'd hate to have to kill a bear, even worse would be being killed by a bear. Last couple times I was in serious bear country I was well armed.
Old 8 June 2023, 06:53 AM   #14
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My own terms include protecting myself for worst case scenarios. While I'd hate to have to kill a bear, even worse would be being killed by a bear. Last couple times I was in serious bear country I was well armed.

That goes without question.

Old 8 June 2023, 06:56 AM   #15
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Not gonna contribute much but wanted to say good luck and I'm sure you'll be able to sort it out. I was born in Pacific (living in CA) and already bought a small piece of land back home, 7 years ago right next to a river (flows into the ocean). Ain't much ..has a falling apart house but liveable. I 'rented' it out to natives ...no rent..they just maintain the property and pay utility bills. I'm flying back next month to check up on it...

It's my retirement (or vacation) property depending on how things go for me in next 10 years (48 right now and planning to hang up my office job at 59). The main factors for me to buy that piece was plumming/public water/electicity and ease of transportation (suv accessible). No internet available but I had tested my phone which worked fine ..lol.

Like ya, also a fisherman here so looking forward to those days of waking up and deciding whether to go fishing or planting cassava in my backyard or starting a coconut farm. Nice problems to have :).
TheVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 06:58 AM   #16
colpol
"TRF" Member

If only intending to use a month a year - I’d just rent the best place I could find which ticked every box if Alaska the place you want to stay for a month. Seems a lot of time/ effort/ money for just 1 month a year.

Would there not be somewhere say 3/ 4 hours away that far enough to be ‘away’ & different so that you could use more often ??

Just me thinking out loud ….
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 07:02 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
That goes without question.

Sounds amazing first and foremost but it’s Alaska right so you can prob adequately protect yourself to the max! As a Florida man you’re accustomed to that but it’s a daydream for us NYers lol
Old 8 June 2023, 07:24 AM   #18
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by colpol View Post
If only intending to use a month a year - I’d just rent the best place I could find which ticked every box if Alaska the place you want to stay for a month. Seems a lot of time/ effort/ money for just 1 month a year.

Would there not be somewhere say 3/ 4 hours away that far enough to be ‘away’ & different so that you could use more often ??

Good thoughts. All the contracted services to construct a livable site will be outrageously expensive there. The construction will be prohibitively expensive for most folks (hence the reason most don’t try it). Then getting a month’s supplies in once per year… all for such a short holiday.

Dreams are dreams, but this will cost more than a suite at the Four Seasons for the time spent.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 07:55 AM   #19
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
Good thoughts. All the contracted services to construct a livable site will be outrageously expensive there. The construction will be prohibitively expensive for most folks (hence the reason most don’t try it). Then getting a month’s supplies in once per year… all for such a short holiday.

Dreams are dreams, but this will cost more than a suite at the Four Seasons for the time spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpol View Post

I understand what you guys are saying. Please bare in mind, I build subdivisions daily. I know the costs. I can drill my own well, clear my own land, build my own cabin. That’s the allure. It’s all me and nature.

A hand built cabin in Alaska will be a nostalgic family gathering spot as well as (there will be a shortage of wilderness at some point or another or many wanting to get off the grid) that I presume it will only go up in value potentially significantly. Wilderness getaways will be the next beach house vacation rental.

All of that said, the times I’m craving being away in nature I’d rather stay in my log cabin in Alaska than the four seasons or the Fontainebleau or the Ritz. Because to me as ironic as it is, I’m getting very tired of all the congestion and hustle and bustle of city life.

Old 8 June 2023, 09:30 AM   #20
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand what you guys are saying. Please bare in mind, I build subdivisions daily. I know the costs. I can drill my own well, clear my own land, build my own cabin. That’s the allure. It’s all me and nature.

A hand built cabin in Alaska will be a nostalgic family gathering spot as well as (there will be a shortage of wilderness at some point or another or many wanting to get off the grid) that I presume it will only go up in value potentially significantly. Wilderness getaways will be the next beach house vacation rental.

All of that said, the times I’m craving being away in nature I’d rather stay in my log cabin in Alaska than the four seasons or the Fontainebleau or the Ritz. Because to me as ironic as it is, I’m getting very tired of all the congestion and hustle and bustle of city life.

You can do all those things once you get all the materials and equipment to the property. Are you planning to move heavy equipment on your seaplane?
Old 8 June 2023, 09:43 AM   #21
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You can do all those things once you get all the materials and equipment to the property. Are you planning to move heavy equipment on your seaplane?

I don’t own a seaplane. Yet. I was speaking more about ease of access once the property is built in reference to the plane. I’m sure a barge can be found on Norton Sound that can float equipment to the shore.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Old 8 June 2023, 09:46 AM   #22
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Do you want to be completely remote or in vicinity to airport and shopping (groceries etc)?

The distances are great between civilization, lots of folks fly? Is that a skill set you have available?

I took a motorcycle ride around some years back. Visited everything off the main triangle. (Tok / Fairbanks / anchorage) also hit homer and Seward. Rode through the north west territories, locals in toad river talked about a 4 hour trip to get beer.

I recall the folks in Fairbanks telling me how they would take a whole day just to go shopping in anchorage and back.

Or are you going to hunt and fish and live off the land?

police and medical services are a long way off.

I’m sure you have considered all this. Worth extra contemplation as critical as it can be.

Is Amazon delivery important?

Also to your point of the value of wilderness destinations, I recall speaking with a local travel guide. He shared the most common request he got was from German tourists who wanted to go out in the wilderness and did not want to see another person for several days.
Old 8 June 2023, 10:20 AM   #23
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t own a seaplane. Yet. I was speaking more about ease of access once the property is built in reference to the plane. I’m sure a barge can be found on Norton Sound that can float equipment to the shore.

Where there is a will there is a way.

It’s your dream and you have the means to do it. By all means, don’t miss out on the opportunity to live the dream.

Do take care to make the cabin predator proof. You want to relax and sleep well there, not live in fear that you or your party are on the menu. Research how to construct the possible bear entrances into the cabin so that you are secure in your bed at night.
Old 8 June 2023, 10:42 AM   #24
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Do you want to be completely remote or in vicinity to airport and shopping (groceries etc)?

The distances are great between civilization, lots of folks fly? Is that a skill set you have available?

I took a motorcycle ride around some years back. Visited everything off the main triangle. (Tok / Fairbanks / anchorage) also hit homer and Seward. Rode through the north west territories, locals in toad river talked about a 4 hour trip to get beer.

I recall the folks in Fairbanks telling me how they would take a whole day just to go shopping in anchorage and back.

Or are you going to hunt and fish and live off the land?

police and medical services are a long way off.

I’m sure you have considered all this. Worth extra contemplation as critical as it can be.

Is Amazon delivery important?

Also to your point of the value of wilderness destinations, I recall speaking with a local travel guide. He shared the most common request he got was from German tourists who wanted to go out in the wilderness and did not want to see another person for several days.

I am open to almost options as long as there is access by truck or plane.

I am in the process of getting my private pilots license. By the time we would be staying there for a week or so at a time during the spring/summer I would guess we own either a sea plane or a bush plane if the property has access for one. If the property is accessible only by truck then we will have it stored in Nome, same with the plane.

Being away from civilization isn’t a problem. Although I’d prefer to be within an hour or so of a city just so we can do something or get something if needed. Not to mention, I don’t want to travel hours and hours into the bush when I’m already tired from a flight.

The place we are looking at is about 11 miles from the shore and 14 miles from Nome if I remember correctly. It’s only accessible by truck. There is a smaller property farther away from everything that’s on the water. It’s only accessible by sea plane or boat. Both are options but I think it’d be best for us and the family if we aren’t too far from a city.

I’ve killed enough things in my day so no, I plan on bringing rations for the duration of our trip. If something was to happen I have a multitude of MRE’s and shelf stable water and presume I would have enough shelf stable water and MRE’s at the property in case all hell broke loose to survive for a month or so. If I need to kill something to eat I have no issue with it and am proficient but it would be because of necessity. I much prefer to watch a big buck or bill walk past, knowing I could do him yet letting him go on to live another day and do his thing.

Amazon delivery means nothing. I feel that defeats the purpose of the entire idea. That said, I’m sure we will have a P.O. Box wherever so we can receive mail in case there is something business related.

Medical services is a big deal but it’s not at the same time. I carry a trauma kit in all of my vehicles. I have given stitches and staples not to mention tourniquets, nasopharyngeal airways and chest seals among the normal first aid to stabilize and stop bleeding. As long as the golden hour isn’t too far off I’m comfortable.

Police I’m not worried about. I doubt they’re that responsive anyways when you’re outside a town.

They always say Europe is 10 yrs ahead of us. So it doesn’t surprise me those Germans were trying to escape. I presume many Americans as well as those from all lands will be looking for an escape from technology and electronic tethers sooner than later.

Please bare in mind, we’re not running. We would maintain all of our properties in Florida and still reside here permanently unless something drastic was to happen. We are just looking for another piece of property that is different from everything else we have and see everyday.

Old 8 June 2023, 10:45 AM   #25
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It’s your dream and you have the means to do it. By all means, don’t miss out on the opportunity to live the dream.

Do take care to make the cabin predator proof. You want to relax and sleep well there, not live in fear that you or your party are on the menu. Research how to construct the possible bear entrances into the cabin so that you are secure in your bed at night.

Thanks for the words and thought.

I figured Timbers 8-10” thick sealed between each and a limited amount of windows and doors. 1 window per room, size depending on room. All windows hurricane rated. Solid wood doors to maintain the rustic lodge/cabin feel. I’ve never thought of it would be bear proof or not though. This raises a good question.

Old 8 June 2023, 11:16 AM   #26
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the words and thought.

I figured Timbers 8-10” thick sealed between each and a limited amount of windows and doors. 1 window per room, size depending on room. All windows hurricane rated. Solid wood doors to maintain the rustic lodge/cabin feel. I’ve never thought of it would be bear proof or not though. This raises a good question.

There is a lot of bear country experience out there. I’m sure you can find the designs that work best for the threats in your home site.
Old 8 June 2023, 01:46 PM   #27
John Deaux
"TRF" Member

This was taken in Alaska, no zoom! Even our guide was like ..holy S$@t!! He walked by us about 3-4 feet away. No bear spray needed....thank God.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bear.JPG (178.1 KB, 161 views)
John Deaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 01:54 PM   #28
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
I’ve been contemplating buying a 10-50 acre tract pretty much anywhere in Alaska that I can halfway easily access. My plan is to build our own small cabin like they did in the old days. I will use a chainsaw instead of an axe and modern sealant in between my “Lincoln log” cabin, preferably using timber fallen on the property to build with. It has been on my radar for a while and now it’s got the ability to come to fruition.

I have looked at many properties online and I know what will need to be done physically to build my cabin. I expect after a season or two of building we will use it for around a month a year and let family and friends use it the rest of the time. Anyone here ever done something similar? Live/lived in Alaska? I am open to any knowledge learned you’re willing to share.

As of right now I’m looking at properties that abut water that’s large and calm enough to land a sea plane (she isn’t happy about me buying a seaplane but I think waterfront would be better in the long run) or properties that have road or trail access. I’d be open to properties that are landlocked by others for cheap if I can work out an easement access.

It’s always been a goal of mine to have a desolate cabin where it’s only my family and nature.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

You know Alaska isn’t Nebraska. They do have contractors and realtors who’ll do all this chopping and searching for you.

(This place is being taken over by van life hipster poors)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 01:55 PM   #29
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deaux View Post
This was taken in Alaska, no zoom! Even our guide was like ..holy S$@t!! He walked by us about 3-4 feet away. No bear spray needed....thank God.
I have a rug that looks like him.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 02:00 PM   #30
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I’m just following this thread because it is awesome. I used to travel to AK 3-4x per year and I learned

a. Not to wear a suit and definitely not to wear a tie
b. Salmon are way more fun to catch than halibut
c. Zero interest in bear encounter
d. Biggest mosquitos I’ve ever seen. :)

Be safe and on a serious note - access to civilization is a priority. If they have to air drop necessities and the weather is bad it can be hairy.

One of my buddies goes up every year with a bunch of guys. They took a float plane to get to the cabin. This year - one key member passed away. The pilot crashed and didn’t survive. Luckily for my friend that was for a different group; pilot was very experienced -decades worth of bush piloting.

Might not want to have your wife read this thread.

They have shotguns with slugs and a Desert Eagle. I’m not even sure a 50 cal is enough but that’s just me.

YOLO in any event - it might be the most satisfying project of your life!
lig is offline   Reply With Quote