The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 June 2023, 07:17 PM   #31
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
One second????? That's not even an issue.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 09:47 PM   #32
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
08 Explorer II 16570, bought in March '21 with a full service form an AD.

Until a few weeks ago, I could keep the watch within 1 sec of my iPhone with the old overnight resting position trick.

Over the last few weeks I've been losing 1 sec a day despite resting face up at night.

My activity level and wear has not changed.

Something has changed but is it significant or unusual?
I think if it was significant, you'd be losing more than 1 second.

What was it running at before the old overnight trick? If the watch is consistently -1 sec p/day then it's more a regulation than a accuracy issue.

Of course, it is still well within spec and if it stayed that way I would be more than happy with a watch that performed in that way, day in and day out.
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 10:00 PM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
It's within Rolex spec and I wouldn't worry about it. If in doubt, get it serviced.
Exactly
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 10:38 PM   #34
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
08 Explorer II 16570, bought in March '21 with a full service form an AD.

Until a few weeks ago, I could keep the watch within 1 sec of my iPhone with the old overnight resting position trick.

Over the last few weeks I've been losing 1 sec a day despite resting face up at night.

My activity level and wear has not changed.

Something has changed but is it significant or unusual?
Hope this is a joke about 1 second difference but if its not remember there are 86400 seconds in a day. Gravity affects mechanical watches the most thats why they are tested in 5 different positions. And in those different positions there will be slight deviations almost daily in the timekeeping. Dont forget this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times. And the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, mainspring power-reserve, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on. The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep perfect time, very close yes but perfect no. Just forget about the 1 second and just enjoy your watch its fine and nothing wrong.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 10:40 PM   #35
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Maybe try experimenting with different resting positions.
Old 7 June 2023, 10:41 PM   #36
swexlin
"TRF" Member

I understand what the OP is trying to say, as it has happened to me as well, on two Tudors, that were running +1-2 fast, until they weren't. Suddenly both started running 3-6 slow, with no change in habits.

My SD43 lately has been spot on, with light wearing and winding every other day. Except now - I set and wound it Monday morning, yester day was 1 slow, today was 2 slow, so yes, all of a sudden, became -1.

Yes, in spec. Yes, silly....but I understand what the OP is asking.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 11:37 PM   #37
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the inputs, I'll get back to update ) if I remember
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 02:20 AM   #38
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

The error of measurement has got to be greater than one second. I guess I see what the OP was going for, but expecting this level of precision is almost nonsensical in a mechanical watch.

The specs also are listed in terms of *average* rate of gain or loss. There is no expectation that day to day the value will be the same as it was the day before. There’s just too much variation in movement on arm, temperature, resting position, to expect it to be that consistent day to day.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 02:31 AM   #39
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I'll add my own experience just for data. I've had my sub for about 4.5 years. Serviced right after I bought it. I wind and reset it once a week. On the average it's about +2/spd. BUT... Some weeks it's +1ish and some it's +3. I've never been able to consistently assign the variation to anything. FWIW timekeeping seems slightly more accurate when the weather is warm but I might just be more active. Timekeeping is slightly better when PR is higher so I do give it wind once a week. But yeah, it will vary a little week to week.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 03:32 AM   #40
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
I know the OP is getting ribbed on there for his question, but some guys are just sticklers for this thing and if Rolex says it should run a X seconds per day then it needs to run at that. My sub ran 1.5 SPD slow for like 2 years, then last December it decided it needed to run at 1 SPD fast. Is amplitude the reason for the flip, WTFK?

Here's a little bit of advice, consistency is much better than accuracy. I would rather have a watch that ran out of Rolex spec at +4/-4 all the time, then one that jumped from -1 to +2 to -3 to +4 to -2 over time.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 03:48 AM   #41
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Not a stickler, just an old
Bored engineer trying understand a change.

Satisfied now knowing it’s not a malfunction but a not unheard of phenomena
Old 8 June 2023, 08:20 AM   #42
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
I think the OP is asking about the delta. Not that it happens to be running at -1spd now, but that it’s changed from its previous consistency.

I’m sorry you’re getting so much negative feedback, OP, I understand your concern.

I would say that the change depends upon how long it is since it’s last service. The change in its current accuracy, whatever it happens to be, may indicate either a slight jarring somewhere or that the oils are starting to do their job a little less well.

More info is really needed on the watch in order to give you a better answer. That it’s only just out of what it was suggests nothing serious has occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 09:18 AM   #43
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
I think the OP is asking about the delta. Not that it happens to be running at -1spd now, but that it’s changed from its previous consistency.

I’m sorry you’re getting so much negative feedback, OP, I understand your concern.

I would say that the change depends upon how long it is since it’s last service. The change in its current accuracy, whatever it happens to be, may indicate either a slight jarring somewhere or that the oils are starting to do their job a little less well.

More info is really needed on the watch in order to give you a better answer. That it’s only just out of what it was suggests nothing serious has occurred.

But even if he’s talking about the delta. It’s a change of *1 second*. Sometimes people expect a bit too much out of these watches

Old 8 June 2023, 09:31 AM   #44
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
00Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 11:05 AM   #45
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Lastly, these with companies guarantee specs based on accuracy (how close the measurement is to a given standard). As far as I know, there are no guarantees as to precision (how close the measurement is to the previous measurement). Which is what the OP is talking about.
Old 8 June 2023, 03:41 PM   #46
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
But even if he’s talking about the delta. It’s a change of *1 second*. Sometimes people expect a bit too much out of these watches

Yes, I get that — but it’s an anomaly that the OP is looking to explain.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 03:48 PM   #47
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Hope this is a joke about 1 second difference but if its not remember there are 86400 seconds in a day. Gravity affects mechanical watches the most thats why they are tested in 5 different positions. And in those different positions there will be slight deviations almost daily in the timekeeping. Dont forget this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times. And the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, mainspring power-reserve, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on. The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep perfect time, very close yes but perfect no. Just forget about the 1 second and just enjoy your watch its fine and nothing wrong.
If this👆👆👆isn’t the perfect answer I don’t know what is. You learn something new everyday
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 04:16 PM   #48
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
1 second?? It is getting weirder…

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 06:08 PM   #49
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Lastly, these with companies guarantee specs based on accuracy (how close the measurement is to a given standard). As far as I know, there are no guarantees as to precision (how close the measurement is to the previous measurement). Which is what the OP is talking about.
Have to agree first the bare uncased movements are still tested at the Swiss COSC to a AVERAGE of -4 to +6 seconds to own the right to bare the word chronometer on the dial. And in this test the movement could vary by up to 10 seconds on any single day in the first 10 days of testing and still pass the COSC test. Now Rolex further tests on a machine with movement in its case to this new precision -2+2 test. What does this mean well in the real world at time of testing on a machine in a controlled environment at time of testing movement met the spec. Does this mean it will perform exactly the same every day for life, absolutely not as there are many variables on the wrist such as owners wearing habits, mainspring power-reserve plus many others. Much like they test cars for fuel consumption and miles, and now electric cars for range how many actually achieve there quoted figures .Not many simply because there are many variables driving basically its the same for mechanical watches.

Below test on a machine this movement test would still pass the -2+2 Rolex precision test.

Position Of Watch seconds Per Day
Dial Up +2
Dial Down -1
6 o’clock +3
9 o’clock -3
3 o’clock +5

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 01:35 AM   #50
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 04:23 AM   #51
kuuttingg
"TRF" Member

Watch: CK2998.SD43.D5000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Better throw it away

kuuttingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 10:25 PM   #52
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Added a little wind and reset

Rests on its back at night

Seems to be steady at < - 1 sec/day
Old 27 June 2023, 01:02 AM   #53
JJGreen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675 or 1016
LOL

You might be one second late for meetings and other commitments. Take that into consideration.
JJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 01:09 AM   #54
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Retired,‘don’t do meetings
Old 27 June 2023, 03:52 AM   #55
dgkula
"TRF" Member

Dont worry about it!
dgkula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 04:01 AM   #56