The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 June 2023, 09:14 PM   #61
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
We're planning to leave Hong Kong this year (after 35 years) and I'm starting to sell off our Rolex collection locally but will hang on to my Tudors, Grand Seikos and Seiko divers. This is mainly because it's a major red-tape headache importing high-value items into the country we're moving to, but I won't be replacing them later.
Old 6 June 2023, 09:44 PM   #62
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
We're planning to leave Hong Kong this year (after 35 years) and I'm starting to sell off our Rolex collection locally but will hang on to my Tudors, Grand Seikos and Seiko divers. This is mainly because it's a major red-tape headache importing high-value items into the country we're moving to, but I won't be replacing them later.

Hey. That’s a good long stint!

Pls PM if you have anything you still want to unload.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 11:11 PM   #63
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Wow, hard to believe you will not miss at least some of them at some point. Best wishes in your re-location.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 02:04 AM   #64
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
After my latest Rolex (126613LB), I ventured into high horology territory with a VC Patrimony 85180, my grail. Although I love my VC, my sweet spot remains Rolex/Omega, more rugged for daily wear.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 02:16 AM   #65
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyall View Post
Not necessarily moving on but unwilling to go gray and the wait at my AD seems interminable so I have branched out to a comparable Swiss brand and non-Swiss micro-brands to scratch my itch. Good value to be found elsewhere. If AD comes through with something I do not already have a reasonable substitute for, I will probably get it. I may even be so bold as to ask the AD to extend the factory warranty with an in-house one on anything with a 32xx movement. If they will not do it, I could easily pass.
If you don't have an issue within the 5 years you most likely not have an issue with the movement. I keep an eye on my datejust 41 as it's not about 6 months old with 32XX. It's been running well, but will most likely switch to add another diver into the rotation. If I take it out of the box and wind it in a couple months and everything is running well then that is also a tell-tale sign of it will probably be ok in the long run.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 02:30 AM   #66
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
I did this back before Rolex started really updating their watches. I felt like the 90’s/2000’s watches were just a bit redundant/tired. I feel much different now.
I did literally everything you could think of, but 10-15 years ago. I’ve been buying/selling/collecting since 2003 or so. I’ve owned a lot of stuff.

IWC (before Richmont)
Sinn (3 or so)
Looked @ Pan’s
Looked @ Omega
New Tudor (Pelagos and the new version of Montecarlo Chrono)

I’m die hard vintage rolex/Tudor only now. My last new Rolex was the 2011 polar Exp 2 42mm, I loved that watch for 5 years or so but I grew tired of it.

I don’t want to talk smack on the design downfalls as I think it’s in bad taste. I used to be more open with my opinions on newer Rolex but I don’t want to be that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 03:07 AM   #67
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

I don't think I've "moved on" but I did venture into PP, to me they're two very different brands but both are really good at what they do; at the end of the day though Rolex is and will always be the more practical choice for day to day wear for me.
Old 7 June 2023, 03:40 AM   #68
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Rolex is still my favorite, but I find myself gravitating to less ubiquitous brands now and then. Omega (with their price increases) doesn't do it for me much anymore.

The brand that piques my interest at the moment is GO, many of which can be had at 4 figures after discount. Pre-Owned JLC also interests me lately.

That said, I'd still buy one of my desired Rolex references at retail over any other brand.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 05:33 AM   #69
deskdiver
"TRF" Member

I've moved on, sold all my Rolexes, jumped to other brands, and lost interest in watches. Then I get a call from AD women and I'm right back where I started.
deskdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 06:43 AM   #70
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Moved on to GS and Tudor. Haven´t bought a Rolex since medio 2017.

Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 07:07 AM   #71
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I’m good with one or two Rolex watches (have a Sea Dweller, want a 36mm Explorer). I get your point about the redundancy. Yes, a GMT would be nice too - but honestly, I’m pretty sure that I’ll pick a Tudor GMT instead just because the design is different and I’m my opinion nicer. They’re all solid and very usable.
Beyond that it’s a matter how much you want to spend. Dream watch for me would be a VC overseas dual time. Patek and AP wouldn’t tickle me. Top notch for a reason but I don’t get the design language. For dress watches I’m perfectly happy with “lowly” JLC and Blancpain. GS spring drive is something special. IWC has some cool watches.
My favorite brand is still Omega and I would alway find something there.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 07:11 AM   #72
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
Quote:
Can't you just wear them to your new destination?? Maybe have each family member wear one?? Sounds sad that you have to sell for this reason.
doublevanose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 07:19 AM   #73
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Moving on from Rolex

I have been a loyal and dedicated Rolex fan for 30 years, having purchased my first, a GMT Master, in 1993. Since then, I have owner dozens of models and this year I sold them all and kept one Omega, a Seamaster for my daily wearer (when I wear a watch).

The decision to move on was based largely on Rolex canceling accounts with about 9 local (to me) ADs, many of which I had good relationships with and leaving two ADs in our State. One in a mega-buck area where I have no relationship and the other which is closer to me where I have a good relationship, however getting any model comes with a cost -- current market value, one way or another they leverage current market value out of their customers for any model that sells for over retail in the aftermarket.

This state of affairs with the Brand has caused me to move on.....
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 08:30 AM   #74
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Wow, hard to believe you will not miss at least some of them at some point. Best wishes in your re-location.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanose82 View Post
Can't you just wear them to your new destination?? Maybe have each family member wear one?? Sounds sad that you have to sell for this reason.
I'm really fine with letting them go, they don't get much wrist time anyway.
Old 7 June 2023, 09:02 AM   #75
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
With everything going on with the market, I’m done too. I got my last Rolex a couple months before Covid. I’ll likely not add another. It has helped me find my collecting wheelhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 11:31 AM   #76
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
It’s been nearly 3 weeks since I’ve worn any watch other than my Apple Watch, which I wear working out. I work from home, don’t go out much (as in out socially, trying to eat better and drink less… I don’t mean I’m a shut in) and just haven’t had an itch to wear a watch at all. Haven’t missed wearing one a bit.

I’m wondering if I’m not only moving on from Rolex, but from wearing watches altogether. Maybe I need a new watch to reignite the passion. Enabler thinking at its finest!
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 01:25 PM   #77
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I think a collection of vintage Heuer Carreras would be amazing. There are so many different ones, and I think they are just as interesting and cool as Daytonas and Speedmasters.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 09:49 AM   #78
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5212a
Not to answer my own thread, but the VC overseas has been the best rebuttal I’ve found to the Rolex sport model. I love it and am looking for something on par or that would surpass the 4500v. While bearing the Geneva seal, it is robust, versatile, iconic. The steel bracelet has some on the fly adjustment, which I love about Rolex. The new Nautilus (5811) would be incredible but out of my price range.
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Daytona (116519), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex SkyDweller mint green (336934), Rolex Submariner (124060), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Aboutderntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 10:12 AM   #79
Todd Turbo S
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex, PAM
I’m not moving on but was fortunate enough to buy to PP from my AD, I already have a couple of PAMs. Looking to add AP next. Loving my Nautilis PP, next level watch with such amazing attention to detail, fit and finish. The quality is outstanding, and so extremely comfortable on the wrist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2102.jpeg (107.7 KB, 190 views)
Todd Turbo S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 12:25 PM   #80
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Ive got a ss gmt and a yg sub, both sporty watches. My last purchase (yesterday) was another Rolex but, I wine for a different look. I got a TT diamond dial DJII. So the look is completely different.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 03:08 PM   #81
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I still enjoy the Rolex watches in my opinion. However, now I only want to buy rare dials with Rolex as the others are not so much of interest to me, as I have quite a few in my collection. I moved to AP and acquired my first piece last year, since then have been able to acquire another, and hopefuly another before the end of the year. Having made the switch I tend to find myself researching AP more, engaging in more posts with AP than Rolex. I have also found since I switched from Rolex only it has opened my eyes to such watches as Mosier. It’s been a journey, I guess my collecting has matured.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 02:06 AM   #82
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Many folks have tunnel vision when it comes to Rolex, but there are many other fine looking watches out there. The lack of availability of Rolex and rude AD's have me looking at other brands and I find it rather nice. You are right though in that Rolex generally doesn't stray too far from the formula for their success and many of the professional models rather look the same. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 03:08 AM   #83
dswchoi
"TRF" Member

I have a number of Rolexes - I concur with PAM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAM000.jpg (78.7 KB, 119 views)
dswchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 08:37 AM   #84
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
I haven't "moved on" so to speak, but I did have the opportunity a couple of years ago to purchase a new Patek 5711 with a green dial (for retail), at a Dallas, TX AD. I do not regret that purchase . . . the 5711 wears so nice and comfy, I end up wearing it all the time - great watch....Secondary market values for this watch are stoopid, but I'm keeping mine, so I really don't care what kind of $$$ it can fetch.
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2023, 08:50 AM   #85
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Can’t see me ever parting with my Rolex collection, although I do think about it sometimes, but I’m less interested in the brand now purely because of the hype, grey market prices and BS from AD’s.
Apart from certain Speedmasters, Omega just don’t have the aesthetic I like.
Right now I’m going through a G Shock Square phase having never owned one until recently and it’s a hugely refreshing change wearing a truly indestructible watch with Atomic time accuracy and solar power. In fact solar watches are really peaking my interest a lot lately.
I’m on the same waitlist as everyone else for a BLRO, but I’ve left the building already on that one. I can see a 1908 in my future.
Rolex offer timeless beauty, heritage and brand history which will always be a draw to someone like myself but the supply issues and games of the last few years have almost killed my desire for another. For now, at least.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote