The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 6 June 2023, 05:54 AM   #1
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

When can I sell my AP ?

Hi,

Unfornatelly the boutique here in Dubai was very blunt about my chances to get " ever" a jumbo let a lone a skeleton .

Currently I own 3 APs :

1- 41MM blue dial 15500st
2- 38mm Chronograph blue panda 26315ST
3- 33mm Ladies RO diamond bezel white dial .

I reached a dead end with the boutique and they requested me to buy at least 7 more pieces / 3 of them needs to be gold and code 11:59 to be considered.

So my question is if I decided to do sell one of my pieces? when is the acceptable time by AP to sell any of my watches and to buy from grey ? Specially the blue 41 will become redundant if I purchase a blue jumbo ?

Thanks and regards
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 06:03 AM   #2
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Jumbo and a blue 15500/15510 are not redundant at all. They look, feel, and are completely different.

You can sell after 2 years no problem.

7 pieces for a jumbo sound ridiculous imo, but perhaps UAE is very different with way more high net worth individuals than in other places.

I would think 2 of the three: ROO, Code, Ladies; and then both a RO, ROC…so 4 total watches would be enough for a Jumbo these days. And then perhaps 1-2 more between a ROO, Code, Ladies to get to a 15407 (6-7 total pieces)
In-N-Out is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 06:46 AM   #3
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnuaimi View Post
Hi,

Unfornatelly the boutique here in Dubai was very blunt about my chances to get " ever" a jumbo let a lone a skeleton .

Currently I own 3 APs :

I reached a dead end with the boutique and they requested me to buy at least 7 more pieces / 3 of them needs to be gold and code 11:59 to be considered.

So my question is if I decided to do sell one of my pieces? when is the acceptable time by AP to sell any of my watches and to buy from grey ? Specially the blue 41 will become redundant if I purchase a blue jumbo ?

Thanks and regards

Dubai boutiques are a total joke. 10 pieces to get be considered for a jumbo or double balance is just silly, it’s not like that anywhere else - they’re just milking you.

Typically, you can sell 1-2 years after buying but at you’re rate, it’s not a sustainable strategy if you’re buying to flip in the hopes that you get a jumbo / double balance. You’re better off going grey with the current depressed prices versus playing their games and not get all the brain damage and depreciation in the interim
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 06:56 AM   #4
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Dubai boutiques are a total joke. 10 pieces to get be considered for a jumbo or double balance is just silly, it’s not like that anywhere else - they’re just milking you.

Typically, you can sell 1-2 years after buying but at you’re rate, it’s not a sustainable strategy if you’re buying to flip in the hopes that you get a jumbo / double balance. You’re better off going grey with the current depressed prices versus playing their games and not get all the brain damage and depreciation in the interim
Absolutely .. I think im going grey tbh .
Old 6 June 2023, 06:58 AM   #5
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Wow, sorry to hear that. 10 pieces to get a Jumbo is silly. I guess the wealth where you are makes the competition stiffer than other parts of the world.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 07:32 AM   #6
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Tough position, that’s quite crazy how they’re doing you. I’d keep all 3 pieces TBH. Hi Greg as previously said
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 07:53 AM   #7
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi,

Currently I own 3 APs :

Thanks and regards
Wow.

To be honest, if the boutique is telling you that you will not get what you really want from them, why does the relationship with them even matter? Just sell the pieces and get yourself exactly what you want on the grey market.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 08:40 AM   #8
MrBigSmiles
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/PAM/Rolex
I’d go grey if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrBigSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 09:29 AM   #9
CactusTreeFiddy
"TRF" Member

That's total BS, sorry to hear you're dealing with that

Depending on the price at which you can sell one or more of those, Grey is totally the way
CactusTreeFiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 09:29 AM   #10
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

My SA told me no sooner than 2 years.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 10:52 AM   #11
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
IMO if the watch is clearly used and the paperwork is at least from 12+ months ago, selling is not going to cause anyone any issues.

The thing that will cause a problem is buying a watch, not even using it, and selling it on within a few weeks / months in brand new condition.

That’s my opinion anyway. To be extra safe you could wait 2 years as suggested. Alternatively sell to a trusted friend / contact at a favourable price on the basis they will not resell for x amount of time.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 12:48 PM   #12
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
It's likely they looked at how hot the watches you have are and then decided they didn't make you buy enough to earn a 15500st blue or 38mm panda from them.

Your best bet is likely to use the profit from your existing watches and purchase a 15202 or 16202. Couple of my friends have done so. They paid market price but let go of their retail APROs at market price.

Second choice is to "move" out of the area and continue your relationship elsewhere who will look at that profile and say, oh yeah this guy should get a 16202 next! or at least ask for like 2 codes instead of 10.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 01:22 PM   #13
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds a bit crazy from Dubai boutique. Are you dealing with someone senior?

Also, 2 years is what I understood as well.

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 04:42 PM   #14
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
Im surprised they are saying that, I have found the guys at Mall of Emirates to be first class professionals. accommodating and never discussing sure things as "min purchases to acquire this.." Just my 2 cents. Not questioning you OP in anyway, just my own personal encounters.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 06:08 PM   #15
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsoftee View Post
Im surprised they are saying that, I have found the guys at Mall of Emirates to be first class professionals. accommodating and never discussing sure things as "min purchases to acquire this.." Just my 2 cents. Not questioning you OP in anyway, just my own personal encounters.

Try Fahim or Jason at MOE. Top notch

Old 6 June 2023, 06:39 PM   #16
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyjo View Post
Try Fahim or Jason at MOE. Top notch

However, would the OP even be able to switch “relationship” to another boutique without being told “you have to start over,” or “you should continue where you started” given all these boutiques are connected?
They are all owned (co-owned?) by one guy in UAE, I believe. So I wonder how feasible. It’s very sad to read how the OP and i’m sure others in Dubai are squeezed.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 07:02 PM   #17
Napaswar
"TRF" Member

41mm and Jumbo 39mm seem not to be redundant since they are different in look & feel except you don't want 2 watches with Blue dial, getting openworked would be a great choice if you can get one.
Napaswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 09:25 PM   #18
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
However, would the OP even be able to switch “relationship” to another boutique without being told “you have to start over,” or “you should continue where you started” given all these boutiques are connected?
They are all owned (co-owned?) by one guy in UAE, I believe. So I wonder how feasible. It’s very sad to read how the OP and i’m sure others in Dubai are squeezed.

Quote:

Siddiqi has they license /agency for AP, and they they consider your spend across all brands (they literally have exclusive on every major brands - AP, Rolex, PP, Moser etc). My experience w Seddiqi had always been first rate.

https://www.seddiqi.com/

I’ve never heard anything like what the OP has been asked. You should try to talk to the boutique manager directly w/o anyone else around.

Old 6 June 2023, 10:47 PM   #19
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyjo View Post
Siddiqi has they license /agency for AP, and they they consider your spend across all brands (they literally have exclusive on every major brands - AP, Rolex, PP, Moser etc). My experience w Seddiqi had always been first rate.

https://www.seddiqi.com/

I’ve never heard anything like what the OP has been asked. You should try to talk to the boutique manager directly w/o anyone else around.

No more. its direct boutique now .

Seddiqi has no longer relation in terms of allocation . all my purchases from AP except the first one are not added to my Seddiqi profie.

Thanks
Old 6 June 2023, 10:48 PM   #20
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsoftee View Post
I know the guys and my wathces were from them . And from one of the staff directly it was rejected and said even people with 10 watches cant get Jumbo or open work .

In fact they said clearly that I have no chance and there is 5000 people ahead of me and im no platinum tier ... apparently there is tiers and categories now lol

no doubt about their professionalism as they said the truth
Old 6 June 2023, 10:49 PM   #21
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napaswar View Post
41mm and Jumbo 39mm seem not to be redundant since they are different in look & feel except you don't want 2 watches with Blue dial, getting openworked would be a great choice if you can get one.
Thats exactly my thought
Old 6 June 2023, 10:50 PM   #22
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its direct AP boutique now .. not anymore with seddiqi .. I think i might had better chance with Seddiqi given my profile with them
Old 7 June 2023, 12:15 AM   #23
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
IMO if the watch is clearly used and the paperwork is at least from 12+ months ago, selling is not going to cause anyone any issues.

The thing that will cause a problem is buying a watch, not even using it, and selling it on within a few weeks / months in brand new condition.

That’s my opinion anyway. To be extra safe you could wait 2 years as suggested. Alternatively sell to a trusted friend / contact at a favourable price on the basis they will not resell for x amount of time.
Agree with you. I buy watches and wear them for 6m before deciding if I like them or not. Why on earth would I endure something I got bored of to please a random human is beyond me.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 04:05 AM   #24
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I think if you buy 500k jeweled ROO, you can sell your other lesser pieces in under 2 years and no one cares. If you sell your first and only RO, you still wont get anything even after selling it after 2 years. i.e. whales can do lots of things, minnows or plankton should be careful are cashing in on the AP lotto ticket.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 06:47 AM   #25
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
When I’m allocated my own Jumbo I don’t see it clashing with my Blue dial 15500 at all so both would absolutely stay in the collection.

They’re sufficiently different imv.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 10:19 PM   #26
genoxy
"TRF" Member

That's interesting
genoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 02:19 AM   #27
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No more. its direct boutique now .

Seddiqi has no longer relation in terms of allocation . all my purchases from AP except the first one are not added to my Seddiqi profie.

Thanks

Ah. Thanks for the update. Makes sense re their strategy. Still seems off what you were told.

Old 8 June 2023, 02:33 AM   #28
lifeback88
Banned

The boutique i was at told me they do not like it and try to keep a watchful eye on buyers. I have no intention on selling my piece, but I know alot who do. I dont know if they are serious or if it is the opinion of that specific boutique, but exclusivity is What they pride themselves on, so I would be somewhat weary. I were ever to sell I would contact the boutique where I got my time piece. This would not only give some good will but they could potentially find a buyer, too.
lifeback88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 02:48 AM   #29
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Unless I am reading the OP incorrectly, I'd say sell whenever he would like. The only reason not to sell is to preserve the "relationship" which seems pointless if the two watches the OP wants aren't obtainable.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 12:48 PM   #30
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its direct AP boutique now .. not anymore with seddiqi .. I think i might had better chance with Seddiqi given my profile with them
Ah, I didn’t think anything horological could happen in UAE without going through seddiqi.
Regardless, as far as selling pieces without threatening the relationship with one’s boutique, I learned something interesting from the SA that actually reminded me of Commandopat’s story in Japan. The SA was telling a story where they explained to a client that if he was planning to sell a piece they’d allocated to him then he should speak to them about it because an SA can make a notation in their record, as opposed to the SA getting notified that there’s been a change in ownership (per warranty registration) to the surprise of the SA. Commandopat did the same and his SA actually appreciated the fact he was frank and discussed it with her. So, for those who find themselves needing to sell, it is worth letting your SA know in order to preserve the relationship as much as possible.
Hope that helps someone.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote