The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 May 2021, 12:49 AM   #31
colpol
"TRF" Member

Last Thursday night after work - trip to Inveraray
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FF06A5C5-B043-4FDE-AC36-4D95DEF99433.jpeg (120.5 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpeg 77E4713E-33B9-4285-A2BB-B5E373D30071.jpeg (192.6 KB, 235 views)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 07:51 AM   #32
aquajoe
Banned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aquajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 02:21 AM   #33
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by colpol View Post
Last Thursday night after work - trip to Inveraray
Love riding over that bridge and seeing the castle. With everything opening up, hopefully I'll be back for a ride again in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBear View Post
2004 fun wind therapy for sure and a real head turner but boy does it get uncomfortable lol :)
Then why ride it? I don't understand fashion/fad over function/purpose. That said, I go through the same thing with my wife over her shoes.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 02:52 AM   #34
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I'd just remove the ape hangers and add more comfortable handle bars.

I don't really get why people find them attractive anyways. They're just a throwback to choppers which were uncomfortable as hell in every way.
Old 18 May 2021, 02:59 AM   #35
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
Love riding over that bridge and seeing the castle. With everything opening up, hopefully I'll be back for a ride again in August.

Then why ride it? I don't understand fashion/fad over function/purpose. That said, I go through the same thing with my wife over her shoes.
Yah sometimes it doesn't start out as uncomfortable. A few expensive modifications that you can't re sell or justify removing and figure you're young enough it can't hurt.......... pun intended

Not to mention some of us can only ride 3-4 months out of the year. I'm not 16 anymore and it isn't my only mode of transportation anymore. I agree with your wife having a small shoe fettish myself... and really we're on a Rolex forum....
MDMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 03:03 AM   #36
RUSH2689
"TRF" Member

Watch: Recon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajoe View Post

Nice beamer!
RUSH2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 03:16 AM   #37
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

These 1200s and 1600s are such nice bikes.
Old 18 May 2021, 04:18 AM   #38
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSH2689 View Post
Beautiful Bonnie Bluside!

Thanks.

I had a few ElectraGlides, Goldwing, RoadKings and some BMWs along the way.

These days, I enjoy the smaller bikes. Although neither are getting much use since I broke my hip last September.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 04:20 AM   #39
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I'd just remove the ape hangers and add more comfortable handle bars.

I don't really get why people find them attractive anyways. They're just a throwback to choppers which were uncomfortable as hell in every way.
I don't get it either? I think it's because most riders want to give the impression they're badass bikers when in reality they're not.
Old 18 May 2021, 04:34 AM   #40
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthetime? View Post
I don't get it either? I think it's because most riders want to give the impression they're badass bikers when in reality they're not.
It’s exactly the same as all the Paris-Dakar “look alike” bikes with riders fully dressed in Gore Tex Klim wear head to toe .... to stand around at the coffee shop. To each their own.
Old 18 May 2021, 05:15 AM   #41
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMH View Post
It’s exactly the same as all the Paris-Dakar “look alike” bikes with riders fully dressed in Gore Tex Klim wear head to toe .... to stand around at the coffee shop. To each their own.
I agree there is a history of the Brit "cafe racers" which literally meant racing your stripped down Norton/BSA/Triumph to the cafe to sit and BS together AND the tough guy/dentist HD, bar to bar racers.

But in the case of the ape hangers in this thread, all he'd have to do is change out the handle bars and have a decently comfortable bike to tour around on.

Is there REALLY any shame in not showing off your arm pits. I don't know.

I remember those biker build-offs that used to be on Discovery channel or whatever and these guy would built these incredible uncomfortable choppers and then have to ride then a few hundred miles for the judging. By the time they got there they look like they wished they had participated in a cake bake-off instead. The bikes looked like a work of art BUT.......

Anyways some fun bikes on the thread.
Old 18 May 2021, 05:28 AM   #42
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree there is a history of the Brit "cafe racers" which literally meant racing your stripped down Norton/BSA/Triumph to the cafe to sit and BS together AND the tough guy/dentist HD, bar to bar racers.

But in the case of the ape hangers in this thread, all he'd have to do is change out the handle bars and have a decently comfortable bike to tour around on.

Is there REALLY any shame in not showing off your arm pits. I don't know.

I remember those biker build-offs that used to be on Discovery channel or whatever and these guy would built these incredible uncomfortable choppers and then have to ride then a few hundred miles for the judging. By the time they got there they look like they wished they had participated in a cake bake-off instead. The bikes looked like a work of art BUT.......

Anyways some fun bikes on the thread.
Hahahaha yah I agree with you... it’s not like your a a motorcycle war scout with the chance of beheading by piano wire strewn across the road... there is actually a comfortable ape hangar position/height but a lot of trial and effort required to say the least. I got rid of mine because the fronts of my shoulders would cry.... went to drag bars and ended up just sitting on my tail bone forward... not much better. My chiropractor thanks me though
Old 18 May 2021, 05:40 AM   #43
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hahahaha yah I agree with you... it’s not like your a a motorcycle war scout with the chance of beheading by piano wire strewn across the road... there is actually a comfortable ape hangar position/height but a lot of trial and effort required to say the least. I got rid of mine because the fronts of my shoulders would cry.... went to drag bars and ended up just sitting on my tail bone forward... not much better. My chiropractor thanks me though
You seemed to go from one extreme to the other. One of my previous bikes was a BSA Lightning and back then the seating was pretty neutral, then a few years the so called cruiser style which is kind of the HD posture was introduced on most bikes. That is not necessarily all that comfortable either for long distances.

Racing bikes that kids ride looks pretty hard on the wrists but its a joy to see the chick on the back of the bike in that position.

I guess the old guy preferred posture is the sport touring like the BMW 1200/1600.
Old 18 May 2021, 05:57 AM   #44
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blansky View Post
you seemed to go from one extreme to the other. One of my previous bikes was a bsa lightning and back then the seating was pretty neutral, then a few years the so called cruiser style which is kind of the hd posture was introduced on most bikes. That is not necessarily all that comfortable either for long distances.

Racing bikes that kids ride looks pretty hard on the wrists but its a joy to see the chick on the back of the bike in that position.

I guess the old guy preferred posture is the sport touring like the bmw 1200/1600.
nail on head!!! also love the "BackPack Chick" comment!!!! I don't know how anyone convinces someone to go 2 up on them.......
I always had a motto of "no dead weight" solo seats when possible. They might be your girlfriend but her parents will sue the cr*p out of you if you mess up.

I tough through the pain myself (which is highly exaggerated for posts sake)... got into Harley's (My Dad's influence) from Sportbikes 20 years ago because they're visceral. 100 year old tech... (besides the EFI) which if you owned one without ..would be worth the price of admission.
Again to each their own but sitting on a Lazy Boy with A/C, home theatre and traction/launch/stability control and even Gyro's so they don't tip over isn't what I love about riding.
Old 18 May 2021, 07:13 AM   #45
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
These 1200s and 1600s are such nice bikes.
I've loved all of mine. Two RTs, a 1600, and now only one GSA taking up room in the garage.

Put those really annoying Clearwater Lights on it.
Old 18 May 2021, 07:15 AM   #46
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
and really we're on a Rolex forum....
Best quote of the thread
Old 18 May 2021, 07:53 AM   #47
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I remember those biker build-offs that used to be on Discovery channel or whatever and these guy would built these incredible uncomfortable choppers and then have to ride then a few hundred miles for the judging. By the time they got there they look like they wished they had participated in a cake bake-off instead. The bikes looked like a work of art BUT....
I'm personal friend of Mike Pugliese and literally watched him fabricate & build his Shockwave which was on the Discovery biker build-off and they never even rode the bikes from point A to point B, they trailered them and when it was time for filming they took them off and rode for a very short time. So as you mentioned, they're show bikes and that's all.
Old 18 May 2021, 08:49 AM   #48
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
My R1
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 257FC5CD-7369-4EEA-B6FF-BC2E570A563C.jpeg (143.1 KB, 187 views)
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 08:56 AM   #49
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm personal friend of Mike Pugliese and literally watched him fabricate & build his Shockwave which was on the Discovery biker build-off and they never even rode the bikes from point A to point B, they trailered them and when it was time for filming they took them off and rode for a very short time. So as you mentioned, they're show bikes and that's all.
Yup. Show biz.

Must have been fun to watch the build. How much is the production/filming crew in the way when they're building the bikes.

I imagine its pretty intrusive and makes the build a lot longer. Creating all the drama and such.

"OMG the engine hasn't shown up and we only have a couple of hours before we have to hit the road!!!!"
Old 18 May 2021, 08:57 AM   #50
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Most???

People say ugly things about "most" Rolex owners too and we know how unfair that is.

Motorcycle threads always get stupid and preachy. Lots of guys have wives or mothers who won't let them have a motorcycle and it makes them say weird things to feel better about their emasculation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 09:31 AM   #51
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Mountain dirt roads, scenic valleys, abandoned RR’s, and old home places in VA this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18 May 2021, 09:53 AM   #52
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Mountain dirt roads, scenic valleys, abandoned RR’s, and old home places in VA this weekend.
Your road trips are the best. Keep up with the pictures.
Old 18 May 2021, 09:57 AM   #53
RUSH2689
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stunning - looks like some beautiful country to explore!

Old 19 May 2021, 07:45 AM   #54
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yup. Show biz.

Must have been fun to watch the build. How much is the production/filming crew in the way when they're building the bikes.

I imagine its pretty intrusive and makes the build a lot longer. Creating all the drama and such.

"OMG the engine hasn't shown up and we only have a couple of hours before we have to hit the road!!!!"
I was never there for any of the filming. I was there prior to the filming when he was fabricating the pieces for the build and starting to put the Shockwave together a little at time, and each time I went buy I watched the progression. I will say on Mike's behalf that he really didn't enjoy the filming and publicity being this is a passion of his way before any of these shows even existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Most???

People say ugly things about "most" Rolex owners too and we know how unfair that is.

Motorcycle threads always get stupid and preachy. Lots of guys have wives or mothers who won't let them have a motorcycle and it makes them say weird things to feel better about their emasculation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I don't get your point? And further more if I insulted you my apologies, and I did sat "most" so if I'm understanding your reply correctly do you fall into the "most" category?
I've also been on 2 wheels since the age of 7.
Old 23 May 2021, 07:33 AM   #55
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't get your point? And further more if I insulted you my apologies, and I did sat "most" so if I'm understanding your reply correctly do you fall into the "most" category?
I've also been on 2 wheels since the age of 7.
I just meant I don't agree that most riders are whatever it was you called them. Some..definately, but I have found it to be a minority. And no, I don't fit the negative stereotype.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 08:36 AM   #56
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I just meant I don't agree that most riders are whatever it was you called them. Some..definately, but I have found it to be a minority. And no, I don't fit the negative stereotype.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Old 23 May 2021, 08:50 AM   #57
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
My 1980 Yamaha SR500 project bike. Mostly not working on it, than working on it.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 10:33 AM   #58
RUSH2689
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
My 1980 Yamaha SR500 project bike. Mostly not working on it, than working on it.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Incredible! What are your plans for it?

Such a classic bike!

Old 23 May 2021, 12:05 PM   #59
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Back in the 80s my roommate had the XT500 . Same engine , but it was enduro . A lot of fun to ride with that 500 single .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 04:32 PM   #60
jhopes
Banned

I sold off all my bikes when my son took his last ride, and it was an incredible collection.
jhopes is offline   Reply With Quote