The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 February 2023, 05:14 AM   #91
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I bought a bonsai, a book and some wire. My tree looks pretty gnarly right now but hopefully it can be tamed into a majestic little guy.

His name is “not dead 3”.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2023, 11:59 AM   #92
Carguy87
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Good luck Goat!! And thanks for sharing the cool photos and knowledge Peter it’s much appreciated!
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2023, 12:42 PM   #93
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Just let it grow dont be a hurry to trim tree when branches get to long then trim it back to what you want tree to look like.

Thank you, Peter. Really appreciate your advice.

I wish you well. Glad you are on TRF.

DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2023, 12:53 PM   #94
Robert Higgins
"TRF" Member

Wonderful photos and stories, Peter. I've enjoyed learning about watches from you for years. And now bonsai! Thank you for all of it!
Robert Higgins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2023, 05:39 PM   #95
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Thank you, Peter. Really appreciate your advice.

I wish you well. Glad you are on TRF.

DM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Higgins View Post
Wonderful photos and stories, Peter. I've enjoyed learning about watches from you for years. And now bonsai! Thank you for all of it!

Thanks guys although watches are a great hobby but in the end they are just watches. But with Bonsai to see what you have developed over many years gives me the most pleasure. My other hobby chameleons picture of my male Yemen chameleon he is around 4 years old, and easier to keep than the panther chameleons.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2023, 06:55 PM   #96
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Thanks guys although watches are a great hobby but in the end they are just watches. But with Bonsai to see what you have developed over many years gives me the most pleasure. My other hobby chameleons picture of my male Yemen chameleon he is around 4 years old, and easier to keep than the panther chameleons.

Madness. So so impressive.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2023, 06:44 PM   #97
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Japanese White Pine Kokonde around 40 years old what I plan to do with this one is graft a few lower branches from another white pine later in this year hopefully.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 18 February 2023, 06:56 PM   #98
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Japanese White Pine Kokonde around 40 years old what I plan to do with this one is graft a few lower branches from another white pine later in this year hopefully.

When you graft do you do what I know as the traditional “V” shape?
Old 18 February 2023, 08:09 PM   #99
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
When you graft do you do what I know as the traditional “V” shape?
What I do s make a shallow cut into trunk but be very careful not to cut into the hardwood of the tree. Next place the bark-less end of graft branch into the trunk most most important make sure cambial layers of both the graft and the trunk make contact. Then use wire or some elastic and wrap tight then hopefully in around 2-3 months should see signs of growth on branch, but will not remove the wrap for around 12 months. Afraid Bonsai just like nature nothing is rushed and instant its a waiting game.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 18 February 2023, 11:30 PM   #100
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I assume you fertilize the trees? If so, how often? Do you use a special bonsai fertilizer?
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2023, 01:34 AM   #101
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I assume you fertilize the trees? If so, how often? Do you use a special bonsai fertilizer?
Yes we use fertiliser nothing special for me but like the seaweed liquid which I normal start when first new buds start on my trees. Buts its all down to what you want to achieve young trees a little more through the year well establish trees less but never over feed.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 19 February 2023, 12:31 PM   #102
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I do s make a shallow cut into trunk but be very careful not to cut into the hardwood of the tree. Next place the bark-less end of graft branch into the trunk most most important make sure cambial layers of both the graft and the trunk make contact. Then use wire or some elastic and wrap tight then hopefully in around 2-3 months should see signs of growth on branch, but will not remove the wrap for around 12 months. Afraid Bonsai just like nature nothing is rushed and instant its a waiting game.
Thanks, really impressive.
Old 19 February 2023, 09:32 PM   #103
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

A few pictures from the Imperial Palace gardens in Japan not my pictures taken by a friend a few years ago, most all of these Bonsai trees are well over 500 years old.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 February 2023, 01:51 AM   #104
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
wow...
INC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2023, 04:32 AM   #105
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Thank God no silly nicknames in the Bonsai hobby.
Thank the God's! Beautiful trees Padi and Thank You for sharing your passion and pictures. I really love all of them.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2023, 06:01 PM   #106
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Thank the God's! Beautiful trees Padi and Thank You for sharing your passion and pictures. I really love all of them.
Well thank you much appreciated.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 February 2023, 08:27 PM   #107
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
A few pictures from the Imperial Palace gardens in Japan not my pictures taken by a friend a few years ago, most all of these Bonsai trees are well over 500 years old.

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing these pictures with us.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 06:24 PM   #108
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing these pictures with us.
Agree some wonderful trees in that garden and to think most are over 500 years old

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 21 February 2023, 06:36 PM   #109
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Picture of my male blue bar Ambilobe panther chameleon showing full colour, originally native to Madagascar and occur over most of the island.But this one was captive breed he is my main breeding chameleon but now getting quite old like me..

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 22 February 2023, 06:23 PM   #110
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

This is how a baby male blue bar Ambilobe panther chameleon looks like at around 8 weeks old will not get full colour till around 9-12 months old.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 22 February 2023, 06:39 PM   #111
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Cyprus Cedar tree under development now around 20 years old quite a rare tree seldom used for bonsai,I bought when it was very small tree from a garden nursery thought I would give it a try..

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 22 February 2023, 10:54 PM   #112
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Watching your pictures are relaxing and remarkably peaceful in themselves. Thanks for sharing these!

Ps: The baby chameleon is a real cute :)
INC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2023, 11:38 PM   #113
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is how a baby male blue bar Ambilobe panther chameleon looks like at around 8 weeks old will not get full colour till around 9-12 months old.

Peter, Are the chameleons friendly? Do you handle them?

Old 23 February 2023, 12:07 AM   #114
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Peter, Are the chameleons friendly? Do you handle them?

Yes quite friendly and love to come out of their vivarium one of my male panthers spends quite a bit of time out of his vivarium.And they get to know you in time,but Yemen chameleons can be a bit temperamental but are far easier to keep than the Panther ones and much cheaper to buy.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 23 February 2023, 12:37 AM   #115
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes quite friendly and love to come out of their vivarium one of my male panthers spends quite a bit of time out of his vivarium.And they get to know you in time,but Yemen chameleons can be a bit temperamental but are far easier to keep than the Panther ones and much cheaper to buy.

That is fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

I am astounded by your wealth of knowledge on so many diverse subjects.

Old 23 February 2023, 06:28 PM   #116
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
That is fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

I am astounded by your wealth of knowledge on so many diverse subjects.

Well thank you but as you get to a mature age my brain is like a huge cupboard, I know it is all in there, but sometimes now takes longer to get the right stuff out.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 23 February 2023, 08:47 PM   #117
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Picture of young 12 week old panther chameleon just starting to get a bit of adult colour shedding its skin, when young could shed every week or so as they grow. But when mature they could shed every few months or so, and when a few years old might shed in bits like head and tail and other body parts later. Important when they shed there skin keep humidity up bit more than normal.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 24 February 2023, 02:29 AM   #118
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

A very old Japanese white pine its used to be my grandfathers tree when he passed its now in my charge for the last 50 plus years tree is well over 120 years old. Have restyled this tree a few times hence wire on some branches plus put into a new pot picture taken last year after its repot.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 24 February 2023, 02:46 PM   #119
carwash66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Just amazed by your bonsai trees.
My wife and I have really enjoyed admiring them.
Thank you for taking time to share them with us!
Old 25 February 2023, 12:17 AM   #120
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

This male blue bar Ambilobe panther chameleon is a offspring from my old male blue bar, which will be my new
main breeding male now 18 months old.

Picture of my male Nosy Mitsio panther chameleon quite a rare chameleon now 14 months old when he gets a bit older will show more red around eyes and head depending on mood.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club