The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 April 2023, 04:18 AM   #31
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
All I can say is that it would be extremely helpful when determining whether to get a more expensive rice cooker what actual benefits do you get from using a more expensive rice cooker over a cheaper one to begin with?

Not that I'm actually considering it, it's just that I noticed of all those recommending the more expensive model no one has actually mentioned why.
Something I have debated for years. I had a cheap $20 cooker all through college and law school and it worked great until it just kicked the bucket. Then I bought one with a Teflon coating that lasted 6 months. Then I went back to stove top. However, it really is hit or miss except when cooking a set quantity of plain Jasmin.

Now that we are doing many different varieties, including sushi and brown, we have less consistent result. From what I understand the fuzzy logic models will modulate cooking temp and times to get optimized results every time. Plus, they keep the rice warm for hours so I can prepare a pot early afternoon so my daughter can have a bowl as a snack after school (which she loves) and we are ready for dinner hours later.

I ended up buying a mid range Zoji ($140) with the fuzzy logic and will report on the results.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 05:26 AM   #32
albertf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, hopefully I’m not asking too much from the good people of TRF.
High end ones should have the ability to monitor the rice and adjust temp/cook time to have your rice come out perfectly. They'll have timer/warming features so that you rice isn't dried out when you're ready to eat.

I think some will have better quality materials/heating elements so that temp is distributed more evenly and the rice doesnt crust up along the edges of the pot.

I've been perfectly happy with a simple/non-electronic rice cooker. Just learn how much water to add to your rice and you'll have consistent results. I haven't felt the need to upgrade.
albertf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 06:01 AM   #33
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I’ve had several over the years. I lays return to a simple pot on the burner. Rice cookers can be a real pain to clean.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 09:20 AM   #34
sickened1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Quote:
I noticed of all those recommending the more expensive model no one has actually mentioned why.
Sorry, forgot to mentioned features.

https://www.zojirushi.com/category/r...functions.html
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 03:15 AM   #35
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

An update….

The Zojirushi is awesome. Well worth the cash for the fuzzy logic. I have not had anything other than perfectly cooked rice every time and, yes, it does taste slightly better as well.

I am renting a condo now on Maui with a cheap, traditional pot cooker like I used for years and there is no comparison. Even my wife, who initially complained about the cost and need for another kitchen appliance, said the rice is awful here.

Now the only problem is I feel I should have gone for the larger model as we are eating nearly twice the amount of rice per dinner that we used to.

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 05:57 AM   #36
steversaurus
"TRF" Member

I got one of the zojirushi ones a couple of years back. I don't think I can ever go back. When I bought it, the 8 cup cooker was about $75 cheaper than the other models. Which is funny because we really only cook 2-3 cups.
steversaurus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 06:14 AM   #37
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

I opened this to see photos of expensive rice cookers, guess I had high hopes =(
Old 8 June 2023, 06:23 AM   #38
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I have the most expensive rice cooker ever devised. It's the "Anne" brand and I married it.
Old 8 June 2023, 07:04 AM   #39
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ sounds hot and steamy. :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 10:24 AM   #40
Redfoot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos FXD!!!
My Chinese American in laws have had the same rice cooker they got as a wedding gift in 1980- still going strong. The kids are already fighting over who gets that vast inheritance.

We love the Jasmine rice in burlap bag from Costco- my wife rinses the rice, then measures with her finger (as others have noted) and it always comes out right. Plus, the bags are cool and we find uses for them.

I cooked professionally for 10 years, and my rice never comes out as good as hers.
Redfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 11:15 PM   #41
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Married to a Filipina so we always have rice cooking. For what we need the basic $40 models are fine. I think it’s a Panasonic. My wife puts in rice and measures the water height with her fingers. We pretty much stick with Jasmine rice but also cook yellow rice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Married to a Thai. Panasonic is highly revered in Asian community for sure. A lot of the ’upper end’ rice cookers in the USA are catered towards non-Asians who cook rice ten meals per year but just want the nicest of everything. Like the people who buy the most expensive kitchenaid mixer to make bread 1x per year.

With that being said, we have the basic Zojirushi for use in America https://shop.zojirushi.com/products/...36289616642208

Works great
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote