The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 January 2023, 10:00 PM   #1
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Potential incoming

My SA just emailed me saying she has a 15510 RO Blue dial available for me if I want it. The issue is she just got me a 26240 ROO black in March ‘22 and a ROC silver dial in October. I was expecting to wait a year or two for this one and yet here we are.
I’m in Okinawa so would have to fly to Tokyo to pick it up, but right now I can’t afford it outright unless I offload some (26240 and an 116622 blue dial yachtmaster - which I was going to do at some point anyway).

Depending what I get for the others, I would definitely pocket some money as the 15510 is only 26K once I pay for plane tickets there (2.5 hours).

Thought? Am I crazy for debating whether I should? I absolutely love my ROC.
Should I email her and ask if there will be ramifications to selling my ROO after only 10ish months?

Thought?
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 10:28 PM   #2
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

You can be open with her, but my strong feeling is that yes there will be ramifications of selling the 26240 within 10 months.

If I were in your shoes and I want a 15510 blue at some point, I'd politely decline and explain your situation as you have here. It sounds like she's taking care of you and you don't want to ruin the relationship.
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 10:48 PM   #3
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
First thing I would say is to make sure you don't ruin the relationship with your SA as it sounds a good one, based on what you've had and are being offered.

Secondly the blue 15510 is fantastic so I'd say yes for definite.

Thirdly - find a way to do it. Can you offload the YM and find the balance from elsewhere? Savings? Or finance the rest? Not advocating debt here but just a thought.

NB/ not sure emailing and saying you're thinking of selling is the best way forward. If you decide on that route, I'd suggest on the phone or face to face myself.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 11:05 PM   #4
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I agree with above, you’ve clearly got a great relationship to be allocated 3 watches in a 12 month period.

I wouldn’t be afraid to just be honest and say that the timing isn’t right but could you be considered for the next one. At least that would take the pressure off. I’d still sell the Yachtmaster without delay though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 12:16 AM   #5
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Just sell the yacht master and buy the 15510. Sounds like you were going to sell anyway. Congrats on the allocation
Old 31 January 2023, 12:42 AM   #6
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the input. Given the recent purchases I’m afraid I can’t afford the watch if I don’t sell the ROO. Selling the Rolex is really just me capitalizing on an opportunity if I’m going through the process already. For simplicity sake I’ll probably do so through one of the trusted dealers here whom I’ve done business with in the past.

I guess I should probably ask my SA about the ramifications of selling the ROO. I don’t want to ruin a good thing, however, I also question my ability to get this lucky again.

An added factor I failed to mention was that I’ll be leaving Japan this summer so unlikely to use this SA again, as unfortunate as that is… technically I could still contact her but I’m not sure I’ll want to fly from the US to Tokyo to pick up a watch…
The military doesn’t pat THAT well haha.
Old 31 January 2023, 01:07 AM   #7
messikens
"TRF" Member

Honestly I wouldn’t overdo it. You’ve lucked out and got allocated two great watches in less than a year. Enjoy them, they fit you beautifully

If you can't COMFORTABLY swing selling the YM and going for the 15510 then don't. It's just a watch at the end of the day and not something needed that should be a stretch financially. Now of course military may be different and you expect to have a steady income go forward, then maybe with it.

I'd recommend have a Convo with your SA and tell her that you'd have to let go of your ROO to make room and that perhaps she could consider you for one in 2024.

I'm sure they work with you and the sale goes to someone else in 2min anyway...
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 01:13 AM   #8
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
Thank you all for the input. Given the recent purchases I’m afraid I can’t afford the watch if I don’t sell the ROO. Selling the Rolex is really just me capitalizing on an opportunity if I’m going through the process already. For simplicity sake I’ll probably do so through one of the trusted dealers here whom I’ve done business with in the past.

I guess I should probably ask my SA about the ramifications of selling the ROO. I don’t want to ruin a good thing, however, I also question my ability to get this lucky again.

An added factor I failed to mention was that I’ll be leaving Japan this summer so unlikely to use this SA again, as unfortunate as that is… technically I could still contact her but I’m not sure I’ll want to fly from the US to Tokyo to pick up a watch…
The military doesn’t pat THAT well haha.
Um yes then buy the watch 100%
jgottsman11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 01:15 AM   #9
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

This won’t be popular, but are there any other APs you want in the future?

If you are leaving will need to start a new relationship and this is your last AP for several years, and you like the RO more then your ROO….might be a worth while consideration to sell without telling them.

It’s not like you are a flipper.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 01:22 AM   #10
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Suggest you find a friend who wants the ROO and would agree to keep it registered in your name.

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 02:16 AM   #11
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Dump the YM, AND keep your AP relationship in good standing.

Take advantage of the opportunity now because I think you'll find the US boutiques much less generous with you (reset of relationship, generally I think reading these threads you'll find that getting an offer of blue RO even with much larger purchase history is hard so you likely won't get this opportunity again after your move).

You'll likely get hosed on the ROO so no point in dumping it to get cash back. It looks good for your body build to boot.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 02:27 AM   #12
tcpx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Dump the YM, AND keep your AP relationship in good standing.

Take advantage of the opportunity now because I think you'll find the US boutiques much less generous with you (reset of relationship, generally I think reading these threads you'll find that getting an offer of blue RO even with much larger purchase history is hard so you likely won't get this opportunity again after your move).

You'll likely get hosed on the ROO so no point in dumping it to get cash back. It looks good for your body build to boot.
This is the way
tcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 03:23 AM   #13
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
technically I could still contact her but I’m not sure I’ll want to fly from the US to Tokyo to pick up a watch…
I'm splitting my time between Taiwan, the US and Europe - for my last watch I had a scheduled trip 1/2-way around the world in any case, but would also have booked a weekend trip just for pickup. Makes it more of an event.

So, I'd try to find a way that doesn't burn the relationship with the AP and the SA.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 03:29 AM   #14
DonLee
"TRF" Member

having extra cash for emergency and what not is very important for overall life balance and stress. Though the watch may sound like a no-brainer deal, i think it's better to be honest, saying that you have purchased several AP models recently and that you are grateful. This is an expensive hobby, and it's ok to wait, rather than sell a new piece and get blacklisted.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 04:44 AM   #15
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your service. My dad was a Marine, did 2 tours in Vietnam well before I was born, and spent time in Okinawa. I wish he had bought a Rolex at the BX while he was there to pass on to me. If he had I wouldn't have to spend so much time and energy chasing the next piece in this hobby.

Like others said ditch the YM and find a way. Maybe even sell the ROO unless it sings to you. But in the end if it doesn't work out I am sure you will be fine with tour superb collection as it is.
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 06:50 AM   #16
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

I might be slightly biased (because I own one), but the 15510ST blue dial is SO SO SO unbelievably beautiful!!! I would personally get it and sell the non AP pieces you were planning to sell anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 15510ST.jpeg (257.9 KB, 1546 views)
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 06:59 AM   #17
bmaier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14790ba
Quote:
My SA just emailed me saying she has a 15510 RO Blue dial available for me if I want it. The issue is she just got me a 26240 ROO black in March ‘22 and a ROC silver dial in October. I was expecting to wait a year or two for this one and yet here we are.
I’m in Okinawa so would have to fly to Tokyo to pick it up, but right now I can’t afford it outright unless I offload some (26240 and an 116622 blue dial yachtmaster - which I was going to do at some point anyway).

Depending what I get for the others, I would definitely pocket some money as the 15510 is only 26K once I pay for plane tickets there (2.5 hours).

Thought? Am I crazy for debating whether I should? I absolutely love my ROC.
Should I email her and ask if there will be ramifications to selling my ROO after only 10ish months?

Thought?
I asked my SA about selling a piece to get another and he essentially said we would prefer if you didnt do that...
Old 31 January 2023, 07:28 AM   #18
slim
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD,SD43,Pam104
Did you explore all other financial solutions to keep all your current timepieces and acquire this? I think it's a great opportunity for you! I'm headed to Tokyo next week, I wish I had that opportunity. =*(
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 08:13 AM   #19
ase_sbhwatch
"TRF" Member

My 2 cents: I’d be afraid that a year from now, you’ll regret turning this allocation down. It’d be different if they were offering you a Code or another ROO. But this is the allocation you’ve been working toward — albeit a bit early so it’s a stretch. AP is clearly rewarding you for your loyalty. At least that’s how they they see it. And they most-assuredly had to go to bat with corporate to offer this to you. (These purchases are supposed to hurt a bit — whether its 26K or 260K — “oomph” as John Mayer would say!) Pull the trigger! You wont regret it.
ase_sbhwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 08:17 AM   #20
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
Goodbye Rolex and hello to 15510 in blue. Have to admit you have a great SA!
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:09 AM   #21
Armis
"TRF" Member

I can relate to this situation. Besides the concern over ruining your AP relationship, having a ROO suits you very nicely, in addition to having a diversified collection. If there was a friend staying on past the year then you could defer allocation for another few months or year and then consider having friend pick it up for you and mailing. I know, easier said than done.
I hope you can make it work.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:49 AM   #22
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
Um yes then buy the watch 100%
+ 1 buy the watch - not to be a dick here since OP is serving in the military and our country but how do you have 2 APs + rolex but can't afford to buy a 30k watch if you get at least 50% back from selling the rolex?

based on other people's experience you are extremely lucky to be allocated 3 watches in 12 months, especially a blue 15510. BUY IT or be honest that you can't do it right now but DO NOT mention anything related to selling the ROO, huge mistake.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 12:23 PM   #23
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

All great input and valid depending how you look at it.

It is a stunning watch and I am concerned I may not get another allocation, or that I only get one after I leave Japan.

I also acknowledge just how fortunate I’ve been in receiving as much as I have in such a short timeframe. Maybe the Tokyo market is just less demanding than it is in the US. I guess it’s possible. Alternatively, I’ve just found a SA who likes me and I am reaping the benefits.

To answer the above, I bought the ROO, and when I was unexpectedly allocated the RO I said - I can’t afford not to.. so I made that happen, but stretched the budget a little to do so. I cant, while maintaining a semblance of fiscal responsibility, do the same again.
Selling the yachtmaster will get me part of the way there, and selling the ROO would actually put money back in my pocket.

I think I’ll call the SA and let her know what I’m considering and see what she says. If she says she doesn’t recommend it then I either take the chance or simply say I have to pass.
Old 31 January 2023, 12:30 PM   #24
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
I might be slightly biased (because I own one), but the 15510ST blue dial is SO SO SO unbelievably beautiful!!! I would personally get it and sell the non AP pieces you were planning to sell anyways.
Truly stunning, and exactly why I am struggling! Haha
Wear in good health!
Old 31 January 2023, 12:56 PM   #25
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Truly stunning, and exactly why I am struggling! Haha
Wear in good health!

More importantly and I think someone else touched on this what else is on your wishlist going forward ? If this is it I mean f*** it, buy it and see what if they catch you.

You could also sell the ROO naked without card should make it harder to trace you but unsure if this is true

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 01:02 PM   #26
chaucer
"TRF" Member

If you are really moving and your relationship with the boutique is ending, I think you can’t afford not to buy the blue dial and move the ROO if you have to
chaucer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 02:47 PM   #27
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think I’ll call the SA and let her know what I’m considering and see what she says. If she says she doesn’t recommend it then I either take the chance or simply say I have to pass.
I commend you on sticking to your gut/conviction to be direct and ask her outright. You’ve read all the recs given here and are still inclined to ask her, which says something. And I’m realizing with your character and conduct that this will be respected and appreciated by the SA, who clearly likes you and will advise you as best she can. Then you weigh your options and make your decision. Ultimately, you do you and you’ll make the best decision for you.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 04:29 PM   #28
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Time to sell the ROO. Buy 15510.

Wait...

Then sell ROC.

Let's be real you'll end up selling all of them as more of them come in.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 05:13 PM   #29
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Tough call here. How would you go about selling the ROO? From what I’ve seen they are really taking a beating right now and dealers could very well not buy it outright and instead only take it on consignment.
psm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 08:32 PM   #30
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

I contacted the SA and asked her what she thought. She appreciated and thanked me for my transparency but recommended that I not sell it as it might negatively affect headquarters’ desire to to allocate this RO to me as well as future watches. The fact we are within a year of its initial purchase is certainly a key factor.

So now I have to choose if I buy it and then sell the ROO after and accept I will probably ruin future allocation opportunities, which may or may not be good depending on whatever SA I end up with back in the US, or I pass on it.
The yachtmaster will only get me approx 10K and although I could try to sell my DSSD (I love this watch and bought is at grey for MSRP), I’m not sure how close that would get me. Only reason to go this route would be to sell the ROO in a year or two and then buy another DSSD again haha. Seems feasible I guess although a bit silly.. how many RO’s does one need anyway?!? Would I really need more than a silver ROC and a Blue RO?

#SILLYFIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS