The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 June 2023, 11:25 AM   #1
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5212a
Moving on from Rolex

I love my Rolex watches and have experienced a number of the sport models. They are robust and excellent timepieces that capture many of the icons in the watch world. I will probably never part with most of my current Rolex pieces.

That being said, sometimes they feel a bit redundant especially with regards to the dial (sub, gmt, exp ii, YM, etc).

I’m curious to know if there are any die hard Rolex fans that have made a jump to another brand that has captured a collection loyalty.

If so, I would be interested to hear about the brands (models) that caught your attention post Rolex and your experience with that process.
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Daytona (116519), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex SkyDweller mint green (336934), Rolex Submariner (124060), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Aboutderntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 11:29 AM   #2
ducatiti
Banned

I've been going back and forth with Omega since Rolex is not readily available.

Love Omega's movement and finishing but there is something about Rolex that keeps me luring back. Rolex is my very first watch, and been a fan for years so this plays a huge part.
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 11:42 AM   #3
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

I think if one is in the position to collect Rolex, then the logical next move is to PP/AP/VC.

You’re 100% correct in the redundancy of Rolex sports models but watches were never meant to be collected. If they are, you’ll have redundancy no matter what brand you collect.

Personally, i wouldn’t want any more than maybe 3 watches from any brand….well, I might want them, but I wouldn’t buy them due to the redundant factor.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 11:51 AM   #4
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

I only have an Exp II and hoping to get a GMT in due course, but after that I would be happy. I agree on the redundancy point. I enjoy the Omegas, Panerai, and IWC in my collection very much.

For me, Omega is the brand that i'm the most naturally drawn to as a peer to Rolex.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 11:57 AM   #5
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I too have had my run with Rolex. They are great watches, among the very best in my collection, but I’ve had the ones that I want.

Omega makes a first rate watch, my Aqua Terra and Planet Ocean are rock solid, aesthetically pleasing, give me pleasure whenever I wear them.

Likewise, Grand Seiko, beautiful finishing, precision movements and eye catching dials. They aren’t all as robust Rolex, but they are beautifully made time pieces.
Old 5 June 2023, 11:57 AM   #6
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
I think if one is in the position to collect Rolex, then the logical next move is to PP/AP/VC.

You’re 100% correct in the redundancy of Rolex sports models but watches were never meant to be collected. If they are, you’ll have redundancy no matter what brand you collect.

Personally, i wouldn’t want any more than maybe 3 watches from any brand….well, I might want them, but I wouldn’t buy them due to the redundant factor.
Second this
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 12:16 PM   #7
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I’m not post-Rolex but I’m in acquisition stasis for the moment. I have a solid array of watches and don’t yearn for anything but inevitably that day will come. I have the same number of Panerai as I do Rolex but that’s not a statement or a strategy. As far as the process it’s totally organic, I buy what I want when the opportunity presents itself.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 12:25 PM   #8
pendlepants
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Rolex was my first luxury watch and I’ve bought a number of them, but have since moved into a lot of other brands for the reasons you mention. I’ve got a Panerai for the distinctive design, love Omega for the finishing and quality of the movements, have some smaller/micro brand watches like Grand Seiko and H. Moser for the value/quality ratio of their finishing, and have started seriously collecting Cartier for the balance of their history in watchmaking and the quality of their pieces.

I think that some diversification over time is natural and part of a move from love of a watch to love of watchmaking. That’s something to be celebrated!
pendlepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 12:29 PM   #9
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I enjoy a blended collection of Rolex and Panerai. Many don’t understand Panerai, which is fine with me. I have been wearing them for 20 years or so and like the older references that stay close to the DNA of their origins. Nice counterpoint to Rolex every now and then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5627.jpeg (126.1 KB, 1838 views)
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 12:29 PM   #10
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

My Omega Seamaster 300M is as good if not better than my Submariner ever was. It is also readily available and much less expensive. I still love Rolex, but I can definitely recommend Omega especially if you are looking for bang for the buck.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 12:39 PM   #11
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
To me a collection is not every one of the newest Rolex watches. Mix it up
Old 5 June 2023, 12:56 PM   #12
tictoc1
"TRF" Member

Among well known brands, I like zenith and JLC as brands that offer a large variety in there line up

Also Check out
- Christopher Ward, that has a nice striking hour watch which is a steal at the price its offered at
- Yema
- King Seiko
- Aventi, unique design but its a little bold for most people
- Frederique constant
tictoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 12:57 PM   #13
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
I went from Rolex to AP/PP but the shenanigans there have me coming back to Rolex, and frankly, Omega. Omega has a lot of interesting vintage, Neo-vintage, and modern pieces, which have become interesting to me again.
Old 5 June 2023, 01:07 PM   #14
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I haven’t moved on from Rolex. The three I have are fairly different (Polar Explorer 2, LV sub and OP). The two brands that interest me the most recently are JLC and Zenith. I think they have some interesting watches. I’ll eventually get an Omega.
My AD has me on the list for a Patek 5212, but I’m not holding my breath.
I’ve personally have no interest in AP or VC.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 01:10 PM   #15
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Moving on from Rolex

I’m thinking about this myself. Thinking of limiting my Rolex collection to two or three core pieces and then moving on. I really want to try an omega though I don’t always love their aesthetic. I’d also like a Santos, a couple GS, a Navitimer, etc… I feel like it’s time to break loose a little bit. Could def do a Panerai or something of that ilk if the right model were to come along…

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 01:16 PM   #16
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I like Rolex Sea Dwellers and Explorers , IWC and Breitling Pilot watches and Omega Speedmasters .These are the watches I enjoy . I do have an issue now , I really want the Ti YM . Damn it .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 01:22 PM   #17
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Moving on from Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
I like Rolex Sea Dwellers and Explorers , IWC and Breitling Pilot watches and Omega Speedmasters .These are the watches I enjoy . I do have an issue now , I really want the Ti YM . Damn it .

I really want the titanium Yachtmaster as well. If I get it I will likely sell my LV sub since I have a rule that I can only have one example of a particular movement in my collection. It kind sucks because that watch was hard to get, lol.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 01:28 PM   #18
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Rolex does it for me, but I’ve hit a note with my collection that has satisfied me. I’ll still study and follow releases or threads, but my acquisition of more (at this time) has subsided. I appreciate other brands, but I’m not going to be a collector of watches, I’m a collector of Rolex. But that’s just me…
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 01:31 PM   #19
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Rolex does have a strong continuity of design language which is part of the strength of the brand. One thing to keep in mind is that until recently Rolexes were seen as a "One watch for life" kind of watch. Even with the different iterations, a Rolex looks like a Rolex (The different Cellini's being an outlier but even these are extremely well thought out and executed dress watches)

Rolex basically has 3 designs. Rotating bezel sports watches. 3-handers in a variety of flavors. And the Daytona. The YM2 and Skydweller are kind of outliers but YM2 DNA is Daytona and Skydweller DNA is DJ.

For me, one Rolex is enough. If I were to branch out I would get something like a Santos. If I wanted to spend car money on a watch a Nautilus maybe.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 01:46 PM   #20
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

I’m a huge Rolex fan, but I wouldn’t necessarily say I’ve made a jump to another brand. I intend to get more Rolex, but I’ve also got Omega and H. Moser and would love to add an AP, PP, and VC someday.

I put Rolex and Omega on the same level when it comes to build quality. Obviously Omega are readily available and cheaper than a similar Rolex. For my first all precious metal watch I’ll be going with Rolex hands down. I just think they do a better job in that area. I do like Omega’s movement tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 05:21 PM   #21
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I told myself one watch per brand.

But lately, I been thinking a second Rolex again…. Breaking my own rules…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mmbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 05:41 PM   #22
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It's not about brands for me, it's about watches I like. My last significant watch purchase was an Omega and my next one is likely to be the same, because Omega make a model I particularly like and would like to have in my collection as soon as I think I've earned it. The advantage over Rolex is that I can walk into my AD, point, and get a discount, as I did with my last Omega, and the one before that.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 05:52 PM   #23
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Imo Rolex do sports watches the best. Daytona, GMT and Sub belong in any collection. I also like the DD40, so that’s 4 Rolex watches that I think don’t overlap too much. Although personally I have a BLNR and haven’t got a sub.

After that though, I think branching into other brands is a good idea. AP and JLC is what I went into, the Royal Oak and Reverso gave my collection great variety.

Next I want to go into PP and Lange, but again trying to avoid overlap and having variety in my collection.
Old 5 June 2023, 06:08 PM   #24
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post

I agree, personally I sold any Rolex models once I’d made the step up as never wore a Rolex again, they become redundant and unloved
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 06:35 PM   #25
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I stay loyal to my hobby so if Rolex continue to produce watches I like, I'll keep buying.

This hobby is diverse, many brands, Rolex is just one of them.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 07:31 PM   #26
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Agree with you. The professional models look too similar. I ideally would like to own 1 exp 1, 1 exp 2, 1 gmt master 2, one dd36. Perhaps a daytona. The rest is all too similar looking.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 07:47 PM   #27
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Agree with you. The professional models look too similar. I ideally would like to own 1 exp 1, 1 exp 2, 1 gmt master 2, one dd36. Perhaps a daytona. The rest is all too similar looking.
Isn't that the case with many brands though?

I'm another old time Panerai guy and whilst their range is mainly split into Luminor and Radiomir they also look 'samey' and I'm quoting a friend who said Rolex watches were 'samey'.

Ignoring the not so popular 11.59, AP with their various is royal oak lines are churned out year after year.
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 08:14 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I like Panerai for their unique aesthetic.
I like Omega for their space history.
I like Patek and Lange for their beauty.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 08:20 PM   #29
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
I agree 100%, especially those that are basically the same watch except for a dial color or bezel color. I ended up selling those that were similar or redundant, and have not looked back since...
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 08:56 PM   #30
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

This is a Rolex Forum so everyone pretty much has appreciation for the brand. For me, growing tired of the AD hoops and secondary market pricing. Certified Rolex offering 116900 Air-Kings at $11,750? David SW has one at $8,775 as I write this. You could grab that get it Rolex Serviced and have the same peace of mind for much less money.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote