The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 June 2023, 10:37 PM   #1
Man o Steel
Banned

Hi! My very first question here! Why is the Daytona so popular

Seems like everybody wants one?
Man o Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 10:40 PM   #2
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

No clue, the dial doesn't seem very readable and I'm still trying to figure out what those three little circles do.
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 10:46 PM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
You've asked and already answered it yourself.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 10:53 PM   #4
Man o Steel
Banned

Funny post!

I suppose it's two questions.

1. Why so popular

2. Why everyone wants one
Old 7 June 2023, 11:05 PM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man o Steel View Post
Funny post!

I suppose it's two questions.

1. Why so popular

2. Why everyone wants one
1. Because everyone wants one.

2. Because it's popular.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 11:08 PM   #6
messikens
"TRF" Member

A minority wants it because they like the history, the cachet and because it's a solid watch you can pretty much wear / do anything with (a miniscule proportion of people will further tell you that they actually use the Chrono function)

The large portion of owners like it because of signaling. Aka it shows they can afford to wear it, are important enough to get / have it and have taste & wealth
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 11:09 PM   #7
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
lets be honest , it's super popular and unobtainable due to being worth more than retail. it's like the AD handing you about $15K cash.
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 11:11 PM   #8
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Because of a self-perpetuating false sense of exclusivity; people want it because it’s hard to get and the harder it is to get the more people want it.

Welcome to the forum.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 11:15 PM   #9
Man o Steel
Banned

I'm unable to quote with less than 10 posts...

Thanks KoL!

If someone can afford to buy an wear a 10-15 thousand dollar watch are they really buying these for the money?

You guys must be very wealthy!!!
Old 7 June 2023, 11:16 PM   #10
MrLemon
"TRF" Member

not me, I think the dial is too busy, no date,
no real useful functions to me
I have GMTs, they are pretty useful to me as I used to travel to Asia a lot
I do not like Daytona, but I still put my name on Waiting list for a Panda
bc it is the only popular sports model I am missing in my watchbox
MrLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 11:16 PM   #11
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
I don't get the attraction. To small for my taste and even if it was bigger I probably would not want one. Too many people think of this piece as an attention getter but I do not need or want that kind of attention. It is the ultimate hype piece.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 11:18 PM   #12
JarheadJim
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 43 & DSSD J/C
For me...
The overall design does it for me, coupled with the motorsports theme/heritage. I think the aesthetics of the crown, pushers and bezel all work together so well.
I enjoy motorsports watches as I am a big bike/car/racing guy. I like the busy nature of the dial as well. It has always been my favorite watch, even before I got deeper into the timepiece hobby and learned how difficult it can be to obtain one. (from an AD at least)

My two favorite pieces have always been the Tag Heuer Carrera 1887 CAR2A11.BA0799 and the Daytona. I currently own one of these two pieces...I'm sure we all can guess which.
JarheadJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 11:22 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The answer depends IMO. There are two buyers for practically all Rolex IMO …

1. If you’re into Rolex and the history of this reference, the rock solid movement it will appeal to you.

2. If you want a recognizable flex watch, it will appeal to you.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 11:33 PM   #14
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Its partly popular for a few reasons

1. Paul Newman. Look him up in you're not familiar with him

2. Scarcity. Even before the pre ceramic hype the SS models werent readily available. People want what they cant have. Well some people

3. Racing heritage. Its called a Daytona for a reason

4. Its one of the best movements. Work horse

5. For some its a great looking watch

This is my take. I have owned quite a few over the years. 523 520 500 and actually wearing my 515 as I type this. I've loved em all. Some more than others. Granted I wish it was a tad bigger and I know I'm get blasted for this but I'd love to see a date between 4 and 5 like A P. But 2 models. Date and no date.
Old 7 June 2023, 11:36 PM   #15
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The ss Daytona has always been the most guarded model for decades. When every other model sat in the display case with a discount, the ss Daytona was not. Factor in the 4130 movement is the best modern Rolex movement shows it has what it takes under the hood even if you don’t know anything about automatic movements. Its size and design wears more comfortably than any other model, especially with its flat caseback. That factor alone gives it more mass appeal.
It’s historically popular at the race track and with celebrities for a long long time. Rolex regards it as the tip of the spear of their catalog and has handled it so from the beginning which validates its street hype.
It has been the Rolex “Rock Star” model long before the hype and inflated secondary prices started to soar. Some love to hate it because it’s so overwhelming popular and sought after which just pushes it even more exclusive fueling their hate even more.

“Hype” sells art, music and everything else in this world and always have so at this level of popularity the Daytona has garnered over the decades it’s a validation of accomplishment and not a negative.
Old 7 June 2023, 11:43 PM   #16
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
No clue, the dial doesn't seem very readable and I'm still trying to figure out what those three little circles do.
After wearing mine for 1 year, I find it extremely readable.

I think it is those who glance at it quickly, perhaps at the AD, who make a quick assumption.

I thought it would be difficult to read before buying it after reading what others thought, but it's been quite legible in all lighting.
goldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 11:45 PM   #17
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The ss Daytona has always been the most guarded model for decades. When every other model sat in the display case with a discount, the ss Daytona was not. Factor in the 4130 movement is the best modern Rolex movement shows it has what it takes under the hood even if you don’t know anything about automatic movements. Its size and design wears more comfortably than any other model, especially with its flat caseback. That factor a lone gives it more mass appeal.
It’s historically popular at the race track and with celebrities for a long long time. Rolex regards it as the tip of the spear of their catalog and has handled it so from the beginning. It has been the Rolex “Rock Star” model long before the hype and inflated secondary prices started to soar.
It was a one point, the slowest selling Rolex in the catalogue way back when it first launched - lets not forget that.

But yes the modern Daytona's have been the most desired for decades.
goldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2023, 11:52 PM   #18
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy View Post
It was a one point, the slowest selling Rolex in the catalogue way back when it first launched - lets not forget that.

But yes the modern Daytona's have been the most desired for decades.
When Rolex put their own in-house movement in it and then handled its distribution in a more secretive way at dealers is when the watch went exclusive before anyone knew what watch exclusively was. I remember watching this transition from the Zenith movement and all of a sudden AD’s would speak of this new ss Daytona as a mythical model.

FYI: As far as legibility: My eyes are not as good as they once were and I have no issue glancing at my white Daytona and instantly reading the time from an arms length away. Certainly a simpler dial like a Sub is easier but not that much unless your eyesight is seriously impaired. With how complicated and busy our cell phone displays are, I can’t imagine anyone legitimately having a legibility problem with the Daytona. You can also leave your pushers unscrewed for instant timing and its water resistance is not compromised.

Old 7 June 2023, 11:59 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man o Steel View Post
Seems like everybody wants one?
Speaking for myself not a fan of the modern day Daytona,but the Daytona must be one of the most hyped Rolex watches ever.And today hype sells watches as many buy the hype to wear it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 12:02 AM   #20
zi464
"TRF" Member

Celebrity effect , hype in marketing.
It makes most of us the normal ppl regarded as final goal/puzzle
zi464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 12:13 AM   #21
TomInNJ
"TRF" Member

I've never understood the popularity of the Daytona.

The dial is hard to read, and the center of the sub-registers is higher than the midpoint. The screw-down pushers are ugly and impractical if you plan on ever actually using the chronograph. People will cite "history," but the only history I'm really aware of is that when NASA tested Rolex's "cosmograph" for space flight, it couldn't pass a single test.

I think the Speedmaster is superior in just about every way. Readability, design, history, etc.

The Daytona is popular because and highly sought-after because it is popular and highly sought-after.
TomInNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 12:14 AM   #22
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
When Rolex put their own in-house movement in it and then handled its distribution in a more secretive way at dealers is when the watch went exclusive before anyone knew what watch exclusively was. I remember watching this transition from the Zenith movement and all of a sudden AD’s would speak of this new ss Daytona as a mythical model.

FYI: As far as legibility: My eyes are not as good as they once were and I have no issue glancing at my white Daytona and instantly reading the time from an arms length away. Certainly a simpler dial like a Sub is easier but not that much unless your eyesight is seriously impaired. With how complicated and busy our cell phone displays are, I can’t imagine anyone legitimately having a legibility problem with the Daytona. You can also leave your pushers unscrewed for instant timing and its water resistance is not compromised.

Interesting on the legibility, and didn't know that about the instant timing feature so I guess some of the appeal of the Sub timing ability. I admire the Daytona and like the proportions, just not for me, especially at today's prices.
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 12:17 AM   #23
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
Interesting on the legibility, and didn't know that about the instant timing feature so I guess some of the appeal of the Sub timing ability. I admire the Daytona and like the proportions, just not for me, especially at today's prices.

The watch “looks” very technical and that’s one of its appeals but in reality is very easy to use and live with everyday.
Old 8 June 2023, 12:23 AM   #24
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Because it's hard to get and a status symbol. There's better designed, proportioned, and mechanical chronos out there.
Old 8 June 2023, 12:53 AM   #25
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
Why is the Daytona so popular?

Because guys like it, and chicks dig it!!
4 Aussies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 12:55 AM   #26
JarheadJim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Aussies View Post
Because guys like it, and chicks dig it!!
The accuracy of this post cannot be denied.
Old 8 June 2023, 12:58 AM   #27
EvelynWaugh
"TRF" Member

I for one prefer the look and feel of the older all steel Daytona from the past generations. It is more appealing to me precisely because it is not as much of a flex watch as is the modern day ceramic versions of it, but still retains the esteem and cachet of the Daytona motorsport heritage. With that said, I think it is a very attractive piece that goes well with almost anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58.jpg (292.1 KB, 729 views)
EvelynWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 01:00 AM   #28
JarheadJim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynWaugh View Post
I for one prefer the look and feel of the older all steel Daytona from the past generations. It is more appealing to me precisely because it is not as much of a flex watch as is the modern day ceramic versions of it, but still retains the esteem and cachet of the Daytona motorsport heritage. With that said, I think it is a very attractive piece that goes well with almost anything.
That is amazing in my opinion.
Old 8 June 2023, 01:15 AM   #29
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
When you go to the theater or the opera, you usually wear a shirt. When you visit Europe, you visit Paris, London or Rome. When you collect Rolexes, the Daytona is a must-have in the box. A small sporty, compact and comfortable watch that does not sin with the readability of indications. For a true lover of the brand, it is like sunglasses for hot days.
Old 8 June 2023, 01:17 AM   #30
Dragline
"TRF" Member

It's THE flex. For a watch.
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote