The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 June 2023, 01:18 AM   #31
Ketler
"TRF" Member

I had two Daytonas many years ago...

Very comfortable watch and very nice looking...

Ended up selling them, as the legibility was poor and because of the Screw-Down pushers, the Chrono feature was to much trouble to actually use...
Ketler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 01:19 AM   #32
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

I never wanted one, for all the reasons stated above (mostly the “too busy” reason) … then I made the mistake of putting one on my wrist at the AD, and I fell in love.

I now have 3, and am on the waitlist for a 4th … that will be it … I think.

I send pictures of watches to friends all the time … there may be 5-8 mixed brands watches in a single email from me … some that know watches, some that don’t .., they all come back saying, “I like that white one, with the black rings … that’s a good looking watch”.

I think that’s why they’re popular … they’re good looking watches.
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 01:28 AM   #33
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Hi! My very first question here! Why is the Daytona so popular

It’s true that many (maybe the majority of) people want/own the Daytona for the hype, but to dismiss it as purely a hype watch and nothing more is a disservice in my opinion. Personally, from an aesthetic and horological perspective, it is exactly what I want in a watch.

I’ve always been attracted to chronographs (although I will readily admit I have little use for the complication), but I also prefer a smaller, slimmer wearing watch on the wrist. There are very few chronographs on the market that fit the bill, examples from most brands being 42mm+ and chunky. The Daytona wears very well on the wrist at about 38.5mm and only a little over 12mm thick. The lugs are super slim and the case is nicely curved and svelte in the classic oyster shape more akin to the Datejust, Day-date, etc. than the other popular sports models like the Sub and GMT - a matter of preference of course, but this is most definitely MY preference.

The dial is busy, but in a way that makes sense and give it an industrial look. The symmetry of the dial goes a long way in informing the overall design. Many people will legitimately claim that they have problems with the legibility, and I totally get that. But I’ve never had that issue. I look down at my wrist, and I see the time - simple as that.

And finally there’s the movement. As a few have already mentioned, the 4130 is a masterful work of horology. It is incredibly accurate, the chronograph function is silky smooth and precise, and it manages with significantly less parts than the average chronograph movement, making it less prone to issues and easier to service.

Apologies for the rant, and not that the Daytona necessarily needs much defending, but I just wanted to make it clear that many of us are not just into the watch for the hype. In fact, as an owner, my biggest issue with the Daytona is its overwhelming popularity and reputation as a status symbol.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 01:29 AM   #34
Bazil
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are for fun
All I know is I want one ..
Old 8 June 2023, 02:45 AM   #35
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex Rolex View Post
I never wanted one, for all the reasons stated above (mostly the “too busy” reason) … then I made the mistake of putting one on my wrist at the AD, and I fell in love.

I now have 3, and am on the waitlist for a 4th … that will be it … I think.

I send pictures of watches to friends all the time … there may be 5-8 mixed brands watches in a single email from me … some that know watches, some that don’t .., they all come back saying, “I like that white one, with the black rings … that’s a good looking watch”.

I think that’s why they’re popular … they’re good looking watches.
Every man, woman, kid, girl, I showed the Panda to liked it. Non watch people just notice the look of the watch, they don't care about legibility, how the timer works, etc. It's the looks, design, and size that matters. Panda always came out with flying colours.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 02:52 AM   #36
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketler View Post
I had two Daytonas many years ago...

Very comfortable watch and very nice looking...

Ended up selling them, as the legibility was poor and because of the Screw-Down pushers, the Chrono feature was to much trouble to actually use...
I tried a display model on about 2 weeks ago, and I found the legibility to be not good for taking a quick glance of the time. But it did feel lite and comfortable for the 5 minutes I had it on my wrist.
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 03:26 AM   #37
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
They had trouble giving these away years and years ago. Then people started to pick up on them and then the supply and demand issue happened...

There are still people who despise them, people who want to purchase only to FLEX and they know nothing about the watch or its history. Then there are those who appreciate the watch for what it is, the movement (pre and post El Primero, etc).

I want one, not for the hype but because I like the aesthetics and always liked them from when I was a kid. Same with my Submariner. It may be ubiquitous, but it's engrained in your mind that you saw one as a child and now needed to purchase one.

Basically purchase what you like and not for the hype or the flip. The chase is one of the best parts of our hobby and this one could go on for a long time with a Daytona, once you are able to contain it then go through the honeymoon period. If you're not a fan then sell and trade for something else a bit upmarket.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 04:18 AM   #38
Hurricane
"TRF" Member

I started with a Datejust but always wanted a GMT like my dad, so I finally bought a TT GMT Master II a while back to scratch that itch. When my father passed away, I inherited his 1981 GMT Master as well.

I'm drawn to the Daytona because of its history and association with racing. (I'm a huge sports car nut.) I only wish I had a time machine - I would have picked up one years ago, before the hype.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 06:07 AM   #39
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

My interest in Rolex actually started out with Daytona. Although the watch that caught my eyes were the Artisans De Geneve's skeleton Daytona. At the time I was all about skeleton watches. Then it introduced me to the panda Daytona and I really liked the look.

For me, it's the strong connection to motorsports, the Rolex name, the relatively thin case, the dial. what I like AND hate at the same time, is the screw down pushers. I think it wouldn't be a Daytona without it, but it does make it kinda useless tbh. I mean the watch is the prize for the 24hr race. I kinda wish they do that also with Formula One, but I understand that can't happen given IWC to Mercedes, Tag to Redbull etc.

At the end of the day, a watch is an emotional object. It's build quality. But without both, you're not getting a Rolex.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 06:09 AM   #40
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Daytonas have always been and continue to be a cool watch. All the comments about wearing small, hard to tell time, crowded dial etc, all rubbish! Cool watch!
Old 8 June 2023, 06:31 AM   #41
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
“Keeps pretty good time if you wind it”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 06:36 AM   #42
Law52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmmm
They are just cool watches. Compact and comfortable to wear.
Just sold mine, deal I couldn’t refuse, but I’ll have another soon..
Law52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 07:04 AM   #43
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
IMO -the Daytona's popularity is the result of great marketing by Rolex, so many better chrono's to buy.
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 07:12 AM   #44
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
a minority wants it because they like the history, the cachet and because it's a solid watch you can pretty much wear / do anything with (a miniscule proportion of people will further tell you that they actually use the chrono function)

the large portion of owners like it because of signaling. Aka it shows they can afford to wear it, are important enough to get / have it and have taste & wealth
+1
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 09:27 AM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
So many people have the need to time events, it seems.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 09:35 AM   #46
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
When I was offered a black dial 116520, initially said no. Then I tried it on. So comfortable. I now have the white dial 116500. I don't have an issues with legibility and my eye site isn't the best. I just think it's a perfect fit.
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 09:46 AM   #47
Scholar
"TRF" Member

I'm with you. I don't like any of the Daytonas after the 4-digit. I recognize the quality of the movement, but I don't find the watch attractive.

Speedy Pro over any Daytona, for me, but with the 4 digits and Pre-Daytona chronos, the Rolex comes close.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 11:31 AM   #48
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Let's not forget the impact of Paul Newman...his wife gave him a Daytona many years ago and the watch became synonymous with him. He owned several over the years.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 11:45 AM   #49
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

This…….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
Let's not forget the impact of Paul Newman...his wife gave him a Daytona many years ago and the watch became synonymous with him. He owned several over the years.
And it sold for $17m….
Dawgprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 11:49 AM   #50
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Because they look great and fit well
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 01:12 PM   #51
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
People started king the relationship to Paul Newman, Daytona, Interesting dial and push buttons.
Then hard to obtain for a longtime = I made it. It has resale value. And in 30 years will it be worth 500$k?

The majority think wears small or won’t admit ( I have one and it firs)

The PM ones and TT amwear bigger are heavier and better looking. Those are real models with “weight”
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 02:29 PM   #52
kl2244
"TRF" Member

It is because a lot of people want to buy it and there is a huge fuzz about the waiting list.
kl2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 02:50 PM   #53
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500

it's only the greatest steel sports watch ever.
That, and the Submariner, of course.

Here's an awesome video from Hodinkee's "A Week On the Wrist" Series covering the 116500 White Dial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__KqBEg5bFc

Can't go wrong with a steel daytona.
Old 8 June 2023, 05:01 PM   #54
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
[QUOTE=JSCP;12803251]
Sorry for typos on my original post…was typing while in an uber….after a couple of martinis 😏

A lot of people started liking the relationship to Paul Newman, Daytona races/car racing —it’s an interesting dial, and the side push buttons + crown adds to the cool aesthetics. It’s masculine, yet softer than other tool watches, has a certain kind of elegance to it. Most Rolex do. The design(s) are timeless.

The fact that’s hard to obtain , going on for a longtime now, = I made it. It has great resale value. And in 30 years will it be worth 500$k? Being hard to obtain, and with so many ubiquitous Subs out there, makes it a rare model , it sets you apart from the crowd. I always get ask in public, by those who know, how did you get it?! Great watch.

Women like the “boyfriend watch” aspect of it too.

Take out the Paul Newman-masculine equation and part of the mystique is gonz. Most people never use or know how to use the function.

I do prefer my rose gold one but the Panda it’s dressier it calls attention through its design, “your eye” likes it….

The majority think the SS “wears” small but might not admit it (I have one, and it does, yet a lot of people love that fact).The PM ones and TT wear bigger, are heavier and better looking in a way. Those are real models with “weight”

Hype is a big factor at the end.

I was lucky to ask for a Panda, got it in 4 months, a bit before the hype, like 4 years ago, yet it’s been hard to get in steel for a long time in steel.

Drive carefully….
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4419.jpeg (90.1 KB, 128 views)
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG

Last edited by JSCP; 8 June 2023 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: photo
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 05:50 PM   #55
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
For me it’s the size of the Daytona plus it’s history that I love. I have a smaller wrist and Daytona’s just wear so much better, in my opinion, versus Subs and GMT.

Add to the above that I grew up watching F1, am named after Niki Lauda and my youngest is named after Ayrton Senna, so I feel that the Daytona fits in well with my interests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2023, 06:06 PM   #56
Subb
2024 Pledge Member

I'd say it has a timeless durability and it is luxurious.
Subb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 12:55 AM   #57
drew0020
"TRF" Member

I don’t get it either. Such an ugly and barely legible watch. If I wanted to flex I’d show a $1M+ supercar not a watch lol.
drew0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 01:40 AM   #58
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

My least favorite Rolex model. Appreciate the history but don't desire one. Too busy, cluttered, small, hard to read, useless functions, etc.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 02:08 AM   #59
Man o Steel
Banned

Fantastic input here.
Man o Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 02:25 AM   #60
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Aesthetics and in this case function are two very indivudualistic things when judging why something, watch or otherwise, is popular.

The responses you have received are so divided you learn nothing from them really.

Just have a look at one, try it on and see what you think.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote