The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 August 2019, 03:22 AM   #91
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I think they are evolving as a company. The old paneristis of the past might be gone but they are targeting a different type of clientele. I am a newbie rifled through many brands Ap, rolex, iwc, you name it. What they are doing is raising there's price points bringing out exotic material and we as customers get use to paying those prices. Before you can by 3 Paneris for under 20 now you can buy 2 . New customers are use to it. I truly think it's coming back strong.
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:08 AM   #92
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post
Rolex is a bit too vanilla...like a lexus car,it’s good,reliable but boring..whereas Panerai is a bit like Ferrari...exotic and different but it’s simply not for everyone (I won’t say it’s not for small wristed bunch as I have relatively small wrist but my daily wear is 47mm pam 375,it’s been almost 2 months on my wrist)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 11:12 AM   #93
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Honestly, I dont want the people that compare everything to Rolex to buy Panerai. Please just continue buying your Subs and Daytonas like good little sheeple. It really gets old listening to some of the same old horseshit from people who really aren't and never were fans of the brand.

Rolex is a great brand and as an entrepreneur I really love their business history and how they are actually a charitable organization. I bet 99.9% of the Rolex sheeple dont even know that. With that being said, Panerai is something totally different than anything out there. Panerai has great history and has a great story as well but let's not forget that the MODERN Panerai is only 20+ years old. Also remember Panerai is not TRYING to be all things to all people. It's always going to produce 50-70,000 watches a year and has no intentions of making 700,000 to 1,000,000 like Rolex.

So just stop with all the nonsense. Either buy a Pam and enjoy it or don't.
Couldn't agree with you more, Dan. Very well said

Cheers,
Joe
Old 19 August 2019, 11:34 AM   #94
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post

brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:48 PM   #95
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam, AP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post

Sick
lianghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 10:36 PM   #96
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianghee View Post
Sick

Old 21 August 2019, 10:04 AM   #97
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Honestly, I dont want the people that compare everything to Rolex to buy Panerai. Please just continue buying your Subs and Daytonas like good little sheeple. It really gets old listening to some of the same old horseshit from people who really aren't and never were fans of the brand.

Rolex is a great brand and as an entrepreneur I really love their business history and how they are actually a charitable organization. I bet 99.9% of the Rolex sheeple dont even know that. With that being said, Panerai is something totally different than anything out there. Panerai has great history and has a great story as well but let's not forget that the MODERN Panerai is only 20+ years old. Also remember Panerai is not TRYING to be all things to all people. It's always going to produce 50-70,000 watches a year and has no intentions of making 700,000 to 1,000,000 like Rolex.

So just stop with all the nonsense. Either buy a Pam and enjoy it or don't.
This is exactly why I am migrating away from Rolex. Even owning the “hot” Rolex models it is a bit too conventional for my style. After 30 years with Rolex ownership I am sick where the brand has gone. It’s certainly not about the watches or owners.
Panerai has always struck a chord with me years ago. Rolex are commodity flippers. I am a enthusiast.

Like wearing a a LaFerrari on the wrist.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 09:35 AM   #98
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Where are you guys finding all these PAMs with 30m WR.

I just bought a 1321 and it is rated 300m
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 09:50 AM   #99
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
This is exactly why I am migrating away from Rolex. Even owning the “hot” Rolex models it is a bit too conventional for my style.
+1 in a big way.

I owned Hulk, SS Daytona, YG Daytona, TT DJ, OP39, and let them all go.... and I've come back to Panerai. I like something funky and quirky and fun to wear. Wearing Rolexes for me just wasn't "fun". Personal opinion.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 11:27 AM   #100
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
This is exactly why I am migrating away from Rolex. Even owning the “hot” Rolex models it is a bit too conventional for my style. After 30 years with Rolex ownership I am sick where the brand has gone. It’s certainly not about the watches or owners.
Panerai has always struck a chord with me years ago. Rolex are commodity flippers. I am a enthusiast.

Like wearing a a LaFerrari on the wrist.
Nice carbotech
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 12:19 PM   #101
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Nice carbotech
Thanks. It has been a game changer in how durable and light weight a watch can be. It is by far the most comfortable watch I have ever worn at any price point.

Had it on many dives this summer and even hit it hard against a bridge pier under waiver and the watch still looks absolutely pristine.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 06:56 PM   #102
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Panerai is very close to my heart for watches. The first watch manufacture I got really enthralled by, in early 2000s. I owned many references, mainly betarini case, base models, handwound but a couple of automatics and also the wonderful 372. Even now I would be hard pushed not to say it was my favourite manufacture, and I haven't owned one for a while.

Without doubt the WR, snapback, push pins et al, put many of us off the brand aswell as the 'perception' that those in the inner circle were getting all the LEs and some were selling them on for big profit ..

I've read most of the posts and don't believe any have seriously addressed the issue of SIZE.

Panerai become a cult because of the history, rarity, style and the size of the watches. It was fashionable. Now I know this gets people excited but 47 or even 44mm isn't ideal to wear and it is also less fashionable now.

The history has been blighted by various 'tall' stories and twisting the truth. The rarity is gone. The size is loosing its fashion status.

I know people will site Rolex as increasing it's sizes generally, but Rolex is a slow to act lumbering beast, way behind current trends. In fact it would be a good indicator that when something the size of Rolex reacts, the trend has passed. Yes, I know we hate 'trends' ... but the subject is 'Panerai will come back' ... I'm not 100% sure (i really would love it if it did)

IMO, Panerai missed a trick by making their smaller references a 'dress' watch. They should have put their energies in trying to recreate the stylish, robust, tool watch ethic of the larger references in 42 and 40mm.

Imagine a 372 with plexi recreated in 42mm ... maybe that just wouldn't work ....who knows ? The old 40mm references were never that popular in the day, but I think they might be now, with some genuine tweaks. (not cost saving)
Old 8 October 2019, 08:49 PM   #103
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK
Imagine a 372 with plexi recreated in 42mm ... maybe that just wouldn't work ....who knows ?
As a historical homage piece, 372 wouldn't make sense in smaller case.
Old 8 October 2019, 09:00 PM   #104
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
As a historical homage piece, 372 wouldn't make sense in smaller case.
Well nor would any Panerai under 44mm ?

Not suggesting Panerai shouldn't have moved forward, but that it should have moved forward in a slightly different direction.

Maintaining quality, history (in terms of being a 'dive watch') and a tool watch, no matter who the market was that they were targeting ..
Old 9 October 2019, 12:16 AM   #105
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

One thing I realized with my "coming back to PAM" purchase is that I'm glad I bought a watch that I like, not a watch that I think I should like because a lot of other people like it (previous owner of 41mm DJ, a Hulk, Daytona, 39mm OP)...

So for me, I hope Panerai stays here and continues to make watches because its fun to browse all of them.
Old 9 October 2019, 01:06 AM   #106
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Panerai never left. Only the flippers looking to make a big profit left.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 12:02 AM   #107
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
One thing I realized with my "coming back to PAM" purchase is that I'm glad I bought a watch that I like, not a watch that I think I should like because a lot of other people like it (previous owner of 41mm DJ, a Hulk, Daytona, 39mm OP)...

So for me, I hope Panerai stays here and continues to make watches because its fun to browse all of them.
This is what makes Panerai more fun now than ever, and makes Rolex collecting a bit frustrating at the moment.
I collect various brands and have always liked both Rolex and Panerai. Panerai is more fun now in many ways because I can pretty much buy whatever I want, and the hobby isn’t flooded with “investors” and “speculators” like it used to be. Most of those people have now moved to Rolex for now. To each their own, but I like collecting, not investing, in watches. It’s fun to talk about Panerai again because every owner likes their watch for what it is, not what it’s worth! Rolex is now filled with people buying “Hulk” and “Pepsi” only because they think it’s a good investment or want to brag on instagram
This hobby is filled with sheep who like to follow the herd. I did not like the new releases from Panerai, but it had nothing to do with collectibility. I certainly don’t like every Rolex either, and that’s okay.
To me, Panerai represents a unique style that is timeless! Now is a good time to buy
Old 16 October 2019, 12:08 AM   #108
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
This is what makes Panerai more fun now than ever, and makes Rolex collecting a bit frustrating at the moment.

I collect various brands and have always liked both Rolex and Panerai. Panerai is more fun now in many ways because I can pretty much buy whatever I want, and the hobby isn’t flooded with “investors” and “speculators” like it used to be. Most of those people have now moved to Rolex for now. To each their own, but I like collecting, not investing, in watches. It’s fun to talk about Panerai again because every owner likes their watch for what it is, not what it’s worth! Rolex is now filled with people buying “Hulk” and “Pepesi” only because they think it’s a good investment or want to brag on instagram

This hobby is filled with sheep who like to follow the herd. I did not like the new releases from Panerai, but it had nothing to do with collectibility. I certainly don’t like every Rolex either, and that’s okay.

To me, Panerai represents a unique style that is timeless! Now is a good time to buy

Nicely said. And I could not agree more with you.

Old 16 October 2019, 07:39 AM   #109
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Sublovin, agreed!!
Old 16 October 2019, 08:19 AM   #110
socalbreeze
Banned

Watch: AP, Rolex, hublot
the days of panerai as a collectible are long gone....just enjoy them as what they are now, a novelty brand with nice looking watches
I still own 1 pam, a 438 ceramic and love it
socalbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 09:25 AM   #111
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Just picked up another Panerai at a great price point. So nice to ne able to get an excellent watch at non inflated prices and not have ro beg for the right to own one.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 10:05 AM   #112
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I collect various brands and have always liked both Rolex and Panerai. Panerai is more fun now in many ways because I can pretty much buy whatever I want, and the hobby isn’t flooded with “investors” and “speculators” like it used to be. Most of those people have now moved to Rolex for now. To each their own, but I like collecting, not investing, in watches. It’s fun to talk about Panerai again because every owner likes their watch for what it is, not what it’s worth! Rolex is now filled with people buying “Hulk” and “Pepsi” only because they think it’s a good investment or want to brag on instagram
Good post.

I find when Panerai comes up it piques the interest of true watch guys because its not an "it" brand (anymore). Panerai owners usually bought the watch because they liked it, not for likes on instasham or some ridiculous attempt at investing. It's like Seiko in many ways. The posers aren't interested, and that's a real draw for those who have a passion for the watch.

I'm not buying new Panerai either. Richemont has done their best to destroy the brand, but because of that some of the best of Panerai can be had for quite reasonable prices right now. Now is definitely a good time to buy.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 02:08 PM   #113
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
BRAVO! Agreed!
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 10:58 PM   #114
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post
Panerai is very close to my heart for watches. The first watch manufacture I got really enthralled by, in early 2000s. I owned many references, mainly betarini case, base models, handwound but a couple of automatics and also the wonderful 372. Even now I would be hard pushed not to say it was my favourite manufacture, and I haven't owned one for a while.

Without doubt the WR, snapback, push pins et al, put many of us off the brand aswell as the 'perception' that those in the inner circle were getting all the LEs and some were selling them on for big profit ..

I've read most of the posts and don't believe any have seriously addressed the issue of SIZE.

Panerai become a cult because of the history, rarity, style and the size of the watches. It was fashionable. Now I know this gets people excited but 47 or even 44mm isn't ideal to wear and it is also less fashionable now.

The history has been blighted by various 'tall' stories and twisting the truth. The rarity is gone. The size is loosing its fashion status.

I know people will site Rolex as increasing it's sizes generally, but Rolex is a slow to act lumbering beast, way behind current trends. In fact it would be a good indicator that when something the size of Rolex reacts, the trend has passed. Yes, I know we hate 'trends' ... but the subject is 'Panerai will come back' ... I'm not 100% sure (i really would love it if it did)

IMO, Panerai missed a trick by making their smaller references a 'dress' watch. They should have put their energies in trying to recreate the stylish, robust, tool watch ethic of the larger references in 42 and 40mm.

Imagine a 372 with plexi recreated in 42mm ... maybe that just wouldn't work ....who knows ? The old 40mm references were never that popular in the day, but I think they might be now, with some genuine tweaks. (not cost saving)
I get what you are saying. I think Panerai did address this with smaller Radiomir models and the new Due line. A 42mm Radiomir is no less dressy than an IWC Portuguese 7 Day (which is a classic oversized dress watch in my opinion).

I think Panerai shines most in the 44-47mm range. Even as larger watches have gone out of style somewhat, Panerai shouldn't lose its identity. It seems as though the brand is looking to do too much with too many different materials and complications. These novelties are interesting and maybe even innovative, but they are largely ignoring the quality of their regular production models as you rightly pointed out.

I think it is ridiculous that we have so many Submersible variations in different case materials and complications, but lack a regular production "higher end" model in the 1950 case at 44mm. I know we have the 1024, but there's nothing in the 1950s case between 42mm and 47mm. The fact that Panerai withholds sandwich dials, domed crystals, etc from most of their entry or base models is a problem. People should be paying more for complications and case materials, not just to get the proper DNA of the brand.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 01:08 AM   #115
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I get what you are saying. I think Panerai did address this with smaller Radiomir models and the new Due line. A 42mm Radiomir is no less dressy than an IWC Portuguese 7 Day (which is a classic oversized dress watch in my opinion).

I think Panerai shines most in the 44-47mm range. Even as larger watches have gone out of style somewhat, Panerai shouldn't lose its identity. It seems as though the brand is looking to do too much with too many different materials and complications. These novelties are interesting and maybe even innovative, but they are largely ignoring the quality of their regular production models as you rightly pointed out.

I think it is ridiculous that we have so many Submersible variations in different case materials and complications, but lack a regular production "higher end" model in the 1950 case at 44mm. I know we have the 1024, but there's nothing in the 1950s case between 42mm and 47mm. The fact that Panerai withholds sandwich dials, domed crystals, etc from most of their entry or base models is a problem. People should be paying more for complications and case materials, not just to get the proper DNA of the brand.
I agree with this. We don't need more Submersibles. I'd love to see some nice clean 44-47mm Luminor/1950 models. Personally, I'd buy a 44mm PAM 372. That would be an amazing watch. And the whole snap on caseback, lack of sandwich dial, and spring bars on base models doesnt make sense to me either.
Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 04:28 AM   #116
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post

Yes, I know we hate 'trends' ... but the subject is 'Panerai will come back' ... I'm not 100% sure (i really would love it if it did)

I used part of your dialogue from above and have to say it is really confusing. You seem to be passionate about the brand, yet you say you no longer own one...why is that? It’s not a game of follow the leader...just because others have left doesn’t mean you need to.
Old 17 October 2019, 04:46 AM   #117
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyb69 View Post
I agree with this. We don't need more Submersibles. I'd love to see some nice clean 44-47mm Luminor/1950 models. Personally, I'd buy a 44mm PAM 372. That would be an amazing watch. And the whole snap on caseback, lack of sandwich dial, and spring bars on base models doesnt make sense to me either.
That's where I am at. I've been of the opinion (and voiced it here) for some time that Panerai needs to tune up the regular production offerings significantly. We don't need "bargain" models that cut corners.

What I'd like to see is a solid lineup of 44mm Luminor models with distinct sandwich dials, minimal complications, screw on casebacks (display or not), screw in lugs, and in house reliable 3 day movements. The dials don't require unnecessary text. Basically the PAM 911 but in a black dial. This is the "modern" line. This is where you add a ceramic or DLC case, a white dial, whatever.

The Luminor 1950 and Radiomir 1940 models should range from 44/45-47mm, have more of a vintage look, gold hands, domed crystals. This is your historic line. The cases should run on the larger size. Cut out the vast majority of the chronograph and GMT complications. Leave 1 or 2 like the PAM 233.

The Radiomir line should be simple and elegant and run from 42-47. Complications should be minimal. Get the logo and 8 days off the dial. Offer California and SLC dials here like they already have.

If the brand were to follow this simple, return to grassroots plan I think they'd do really well. Right now the brand has lost its identity aside from a few select models.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 10:57 PM   #118
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
i do think panerai is indeed coming back! look at this gorgeous pam 1036, DLC
coating with a luna rossa sail dial and red gmt hand. isnt it beautiful?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1036 real.jpg (280.3 KB, 419 views)
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 04:44 PM   #119
Erson
Banned

opinion about luminor due?
Erson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 12:34 AM   #120
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erson View Post
opinion about luminor due?