The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 11 January 2010, 03:12 PM   #61
haitek

Watch: Citizen quartz ;-)
Drsd

Hey ParisDakarBmw!

I bought the watch new from a Rolex dealer in Hobart, Tasmania in the early 1970's. It has circumnavigated the globe a couple of times on my wrist. I never took it off for many years. It has always kept good time, to a couple of seconds per year. I dove (dived) with it many times and never had any issues.

Regards,
Abi Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post
Dude...Get ready....I'll let the pro's fill you in on the specs. How did you happen upon this watch? The crystal looks to have been polished after the damage (needs new), no pearl on the bezel. The bezel insert may have been replaced after the incident that scuffed the crystal. In the meantime, can you get pics of the movement. These guys will need to see the inside to give you the full scoop. Good luck!
Old 11 January 2010, 03:20 PM   #62
oinkitt
"TRF" Member

Dial

Hi Abi,

This looks to be a mark 2 dial - the serial number is also consistant with the mark 2 dial. The patina on the hands appear to be different than the markers.

Looks good to me.

Regards,

Adrian.
Old 11 January 2010, 03:54 PM   #63
haitek

Drsd

Hey Adrian!

The hands were never replaced, I can see what you mean though, to the naked eye the hands look a bit greener than the hour markers which have a bit more yellow in them.

Regards,
Abi Nathan
Old 11 January 2010, 04:04 PM   #64
onkyo
Banned

Well abi, you have a nice collectible watch on your hands. If I was in your position I would get it cleaned up with a new crystal and pearl insert.

There are many good places to sell it including here, vintage rolex forum, timezone, watchnet, and others. One problem for you may be lack of references. A potential buyer would probably want to do a face to face deal which ofcourse eliminates much of your market. Or you could sell it to a dealer though the money would be less.
Old 11 January 2010, 04:06 PM   #65
oinkitt
"TRF" Member

Im interested - and I only live down the road (in Australian terms)
Old 11 January 2010, 04:08 PM   #66
jets
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post
idk01, I think I would have jumped in the A-team van, and blazed a red stripe across the outback. If the van's in the shop take the Pinto!
That van still looks cool.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
Old 11 January 2010, 04:14 PM   #67
onkyo
Banned

Abi, I don't know if anyone asked already but do have the original box and papers? If not, any service papers?
Old 11 January 2010, 04:19 PM   #68
haitek

Drsd

Hey oinkitt!

Thanks for your message. I'm going to wait a few days to find out more about it. I was thinking of a trip to Sydney in the near future. I could bring the watch with me, I would like to get it Authenticated/Appraised, I really have no idea of what it may be worth. A viewing is not out of the question

Regards,
Abi Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkitt View Post
Old 11 January 2010, 04:24 PM   #69
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
Quote:
Nice to see you on my friend, its been a while, all ready for the GTG on Friday

Old 11 January 2010, 04:24 PM   #70
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Why is it always the most unbelievable finds always have the worst photos in the world??
Old 11 January 2010, 04:26 PM   #71
haitek

Drsd

Hi onkyo!

No, unfortunately I have no paperwork or box. They were mislaid in my worldly travels. The watch did have some work done on it in the early 1990's by a German Watchmaker, Karl Pieper. I don't know what was done to it aside from cleaning. No papers but Hey! I've still got the watch and it is for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
Abi, I don't know if anyone asked already but do have the original box and papers? If not, any service papers?
Old 11 January 2010, 04:33 PM   #72
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitek View Post
Hi onkyo!

No, unfortunately I have no paperwork or box. They were mislaid in my worldly travels. The watch did have some work done on it in the early 1990's by a German Watchmaker, Karl Pieper. I don't know what was done to it aside from cleaning. No papers but Hey! I've still got the watch and it is for sale
Hi abi, a service is due then even if the watch is running perfectly. If you take it to rolex you will get service paperwork which essentially authenticates the piece. Make sure to explicitly tell them not to change dial/hands/bezel/case.
Old 11 January 2010, 04:37 PM   #73
haitek

Drsd

Hey Zirotti!
Perhaps it's because I'm not a photographer. I bought the watch because it was the toughest watch I could find at the time, not to take pictures of it.
Sorry!

Regards,
Abi Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirotti View Post
Why is it always the most unbelievable finds always have the worst photos in the world??
Old 11 January 2010, 04:42 PM   #74
oinkitt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk01 View Post
Nice to see you on my friend, its been a while, all ready for the GTG on Friday
Hi Dave,

Looking forward to the GTG - hoping my 4500 arrives before then so I can bring it along.
Old 11 January 2010, 04:44 PM   #75
oinkitt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi abi, a service is due then even if the watch is running perfectly. If you take it to rolex you will get service paperwork which essentially authenticates the piece. Make sure to explicitly tell them not to change dial/hands/bezel/case.
Abi,

Dont take it to Rolex - they wont service it as it is too old for them.

There is a good place in Sydney you can take to and they will look at it on the spot and confirm its real.
Old 11 January 2010, 04:54 PM   #76
haitek

Drsd

Thanks again onkyo!

Since finding out more about the watch, I was expecting a face to face deal to occur with this kind of thing anyway. I have no real idea of it's value, I think it's a watch you have to see to appreciate/drool over............a

Quote:
Well abi, you have a nice collectible watch on your hands. If I was in your position I would get it cleaned up with a new crystal and pearl insert.

There are many good places to sell it including here, vintage rolex forum, timezone, watchnet, and others. One problem for you may be lack of references. A potential buyer would probably want to do a face to face deal which ofcourse eliminates much of your market. Or you could sell it to a dealer though the money would be less.
Old 11 January 2010, 04:56 PM   #77
haitek

Drsd

Hey oinkitt!
Can you give me the name/address of this good place in Sydney, thanks.........a

Quote:
Abi,

There is a good place in Sydney you can take to and they will look at it on the spot and confirm its real.
Old 11 January 2010, 04:57 PM   #78
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Abi,

I know rolex USA won't touch it. Rolex aus won't touch it either?
Old 11 January 2010, 05:06 PM   #79
oinkitt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex Australia wont either - you know how our leaders like to follow you guys - LOL

Their service is real expensive too - better to go to

Max Schweizer Swiss Watch Service
Suite 313 Level 3
375 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000 Australia

Max is an authorised Patek Philippe service centre, he is also Rolex trained - very cost effective too!!
Old 11 January 2010, 05:20 PM   #80
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Rolex Australia wont either - you know how our leaders like to follow you guys - LOL

Their service is real expensive too - better to go to

Max Schweizer Swiss Watch Service
Suite 313 Level 3
375 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000 Australia

Max is an authorised Patek Philippe service centre, he is also Rolex trained - very cost effective too!!
Lol... The reason I recommended rolex is to maximize the market value of the watch. Rolex papers are recognized world wide. There are some centers which will still service vintage (uk and hk for example)
Old 11 January 2010, 07:58 PM   #81
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
The reason I recommended rolex is to maximize the market value of the watch. Rolex papers are recognized world wide.
Exactly.....

Do we know for a fact that Rolex Sydney will not service the watch? Out of my morbid curiosity I'll give them a call in the morning and ask the question.
Old 11 January 2010, 09:39 PM   #82
Lol-x
Facilitator

I suggest taking it to Max the watchmaker in Sydney.
He has a parts account with Rolex and has an excellent reputation.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 12 January 2010, 04:41 AM   #83
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Quote:
Quote:
Rolex USA won't touch that watch... it's too old.

In terms of the band .... it has a 9315 folded link bracelet. You can still find them used in good condition. I would look around for one to keep it vintage correct.

A great watch.

Thats what you told me onkyo, and you were wrong. If he is indeed the original owner, they might service him. Its possible they will, but not with that bracelet on the watch. I suggest you take the bracelet off the watch before you go into any certified Rolex dealer. They frown on aftermarket parts on watches. Read my service agreement and the bold type at the bottom. I noticed that you said the stem is broken so that will also need replacing. I would also try and see if the Rolex dealer in Hobart, Tasmania has any records of the original sale.

Quote from Ebay: "Needs work as follows: Crystal is badly scratched and needs replacing, date/time adjust knob has come off the spindle, luminous dot at 12 o'clock on rotating elapsed time bezel needs replacing, non-orioginal wristband."

Also, try to take a picture of the dial thats very close, like this one. Try to use/borrow a camera with a macro, or super macro setting that is usually represented by a flower symbol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (42.9 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg closeup.jpg (19.8 KB, 254 views)
Old 12 January 2010, 05:35 AM   #84
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
Thats what you told me onkyo, and you were wrong. If he is indeed the original owner, they might service him. Its possible they will, but not with that bracelet on the watch. I suggest you take the bracelet off the watch before you go into any certified Rolex dealer. They frown on aftermarket parts on watches. Read my service agreement and the bold type at the bottom. I noticed that you said the stem is broken so that will also need replacing. I would also try and see if the Rolex dealer in Hobart, Tasmania has any records of the original sale.

Quote from Ebay: "Needs work as follows: Crystal is badly scratched and needs replacing, date/time adjust knob has come off the spindle, luminous dot at 12 o'clock on rotating elapsed time bezel needs replacing, non-orioginal wristband."

Also, try to take a picture of the dial thats very close, like this one. Try to use/borrow a camera with a macro, or super macro setting that is usually represented by a flower symbol.
DW, there is an exception to everything. Nothing is 100% with Rolex (or in life). In general, Rolex USA will NOT service these vintage piece. If someone asked me today 'does Rolex USA service vintage pieces'.. my answer answer is 'no' and I would be correct 99% of the time. I was not sure about Rolex AUS but I guess they follow the footsteps of the USA (unfortunately).

The benefit of getting Rolex to service his watch is proving to a potential buyer that this is the real deal. Abi already knows its real since he bought it new.
Old 12 January 2010, 05:44 AM   #85
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
DW, there is an exception to everything. Nothing is 100% with Rolex (or in life). In general, Rolex USA will NOT service these vintage piece. If someone asked me today 'does Rolex USA service vintage pieces'.. my answer answer is 'no' and I would be correct 99% of the time. I was not sure about Rolex AUS but I guess they follow the footsteps of the USA (unfortunately).

The benefit of getting Rolex to service his watch is proving to a potential buyer that this is the real deal. Abi already knows its real since he bought it new.
I tend to agree that getting Rolex to service a watch of this age is a "slippery slope" to say the least. I think (not certain) that the chances/percentages for having them service a watch goes from 1% to a much higher percentage IF the watch was never sold in the aftermarket. For example, my watch was never "sold" to anyone but the original owner. I think this is a hugh factor. If he can establish his was never sold to anyone and that he is the original owner, it will definately increase his chances right off the start. Its not the only thing they will take into account, but its a start. You never know until you try.
Old 12 January 2010, 08:45 AM   #86
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

I have just called RSC Sydney and was told that yes they are still servicing watches from the 60's and yes they can service a 1968 Sea Dweller as they still have parts. In typical Rolex fashion he said that they would need to see the watch first (they always say that) but in principle it would not be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
If he can establish his was never sold to anyone and that he is the original owner, it will definately increase his chances right off the start.

RSC Sydney says that previous ownership of a watch is not in any way a factor with its ongoing serviceability.
Old 12 January 2010, 08:46 AM   #87
haitek

Drsd

Hi again y'all!

Is anyone prepared to have an educated guess at the value of this watch as it is? I can't afford to have it repaired at this time and really have no idea as to it's real value today. I definitely want to sell it. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.............a
Old 12 January 2010, 08:51 AM   #88
haitek

Drsd

Thanks for taking the time to call them Mike, very kind...........a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjp6 View Post
I have just called RSC Sydney and was told that yes they are still servicing watches from the 60's and yes they can service a 1968 Sea Dweller as they still have parts. In typical Rolex fashion he said that they would need to see the watch first (they always say that) but in principle it would not be a problem.

RSC Sydney says that previous ownership of a watch is not in any way a factor with its ongoing serviceability.
Old 12 January 2010, 08:57 AM   #89
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Abi, I guess one really needs to view recent sales of comparable watches but I'll take a guess somewhere more than $30K but not sure of the more...
Old 12 January 2010, 09:05 AM   #90
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitek View Post
Hi again y'all!

Is anyone prepared to have an educated guess at the value of this watch as it is? I can't afford to have it repaired at this time and really have no idea as to it's real value today. I definitely want to sell it. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.............a
Bout 500 AU. Seriously though, you need to supply good pictures. The condition will greatly effect the value and desirability.
Closed Thread