The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 January 2021, 09:11 PM   #1
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
Franck muller

On holiday the now and on the motorway I noticed this huge big billboard with a Franck muller crazy hours on it and thought that’s really quite nice.
What happened to Franck muller ? When I first got into watches around 15 years ago I remember them being a good brand but have heard or seen anything about them in years. Is the brand dead ? If buying one could you push for a discount? Are they lost money, meaning you take a massive hit if you decide to flip ?Kind of like the thought of having a fun watch like the crazy hours.
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 11:28 PM   #2
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Muller was caught putting cheap Russian Poljot movements in his watches, and marking them Swiss Made.

It was a big scandal at the time and its pretty hard to recover from that level of dishonesty.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 01:11 AM   #3
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

What about now what movements are in the new vanguard crazy hours ?
Old 17 January 2021, 01:39 AM   #4
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Muller was caught putting cheap Russian Poljot movements in his watches, and marking them Swiss Made.

It was a big scandal at the time and its pretty hard to recover from that level of dishonesty.
I think this accurately sums up why interest decimated amongst watch enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleven View Post
On holiday the now and on the motorway I noticed this huge big billboard with a Franck muller crazy hours on it and thought that’s really quite nice.
What happened to Franck muller ? When I first got into watches around 15 years ago I remember them being a good brand but have heard or seen anything about them in years. Is the brand dead ? If buying one could you push for a discount? Are they lost money, meaning you take a massive hit if you decide to flip ?Kind of like the thought of having a fun watch like the crazy hours.

Above said, I agree with you MrEleven in that I can recall them being a big thing when I first started noticing watches. I have always LOVED LOVED LOVED the Crazy Hours. The folks who essentially ‘invented and made’ the original ones no longer do so and from what I have heard (which may be biased hearsay but straight from the horses mouth) is the newer generation who assembles the Crazy Hours line is not cut from the same cloth. I have my sight peripherally on a Crazy Hours made from the era when the big guns were in charge (circa 2003-2007/8). This of course also helps with the infamous “value” question buying pre-owned as well. In particular I am looking for a Crazy Color Dreams in YG or a Totally Crazy.

As far as resale, I think they would be challenging to unload. As far as brand identity, see above. It’s just a matter of if that is important to you. I could care less that if folks “look down” on my any of my watches. The vast majority of folks think FM only makes the Vanguard line as a Richard Mille homage watch anyways lol.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 03:57 AM   #5
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I think this accurately sums up why interest decimated amongst watch enthusiasts.

Above said, I agree with you MrEleven in that I can recall them being a big thing when I first started noticing watches. I have always LOVED LOVED LOVED the Crazy Hours. The folks who essentially ‘invented and made’ the original ones no longer do so and from what I have heard (which may be biased hearsay but straight from the horses mouth) is the newer generation who assembles the Crazy Hours line is not cut from the same cloth. I have my sight peripherally on a Crazy Hours made from the era when the big guns were in charge (circa 2003-2007/8). This of course also helps with the infamous “value” question buying pre-owned as well. In particular I am looking for a Crazy Color Dreams in YG or a Totally Crazy.

As far as resale, I think they would be challenging to unload. As far as brand identity, see above. It’s just a matter of if that is important to you. I could care less that if folks “look down” on my any of my watches. The vast majority of folks think FM only makes the Vanguard line as a Richard Mille homage watch anyways lol.
Yea ive always loved the look of the crazy hours. Going to go to the mall on Monday they have a franck muller store and i will try a few on. If there for me ill start looking at pre owned unless there offering a nice discount in store.
Old 17 January 2021, 03:59 AM   #6
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yea ive always loved the look of the crazy hours. Going to go to the mall on Monday they have a franck muller store and i will try a few on. If there for me ill start looking at pre owned unless there offering a nice discount in store.
Nice. Enjoy your trip and please share an update upon return:)
Old 17 January 2021, 05:10 AM   #7
base924
"TRF" Member

You should be sure to get a discount. They are probably not so easy to unload if you just want to take it for a spin a year or so.

I recently bought this at an auction. It is probably a womans watch, but I really like the look of the red gold case and the guilloched and blue enameled dial. Only bidder, so got it cheap.

It's from 1995 so actually a very early example and from a time before the cocaine, money laundering and russian movements. Inside is the FM 7500 which is basicly a manual Peseux ebauche. A little tractor that keeps on ticking forever.

Check out some of the early stuff. There are some really nice ones amongst those.

Sendt fra min VOG-L29 med Tapatalk
base924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 06:19 PM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I loved the watches. I had 2 Casablanca anniversary models years ago. They were huge but so comfortable. Just found a smaller triple calendar model which is just incredible value nowadays. The movement and other issues, now buried online devastated the brand. I see a slow resurgence now.
Sadly mine arrived with a chrono problem and is being returned for repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20FB4B9E-56C8-47D5-B96E-082E2013CA12.jpeg (227.6 KB, 251 views)
Old 17 January 2021, 09:51 PM   #9
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Tried on the yellow vanguard crazy hours, I did like it but the black vanguard skeleton that was nicer. Woman said the conversion rate it would be around £40,000 I will need to look again but I’m sure I seen a good few new ones for sale at £16/£18k
Old 18 January 2021, 09:46 AM   #10
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tried on the yellow vanguard crazy hours, I did like it but the black vanguard skeleton that was nicer. Woman said the conversion rate it would be around £40,000 I will need to look again but I’m sure I seen a good few new ones for sale at £16/£18k
Unless I’m missing something, a yellow or black non skeleton vanguard crazy hours, I think it should be closer to 9-10k USD. The skeleton I thought was around 25 and the gem set closer to 40. I recall a few on C24 for that ballpark. Will look into it.

There will never be a FM subforum here but I think there are enough of us to have an FM appreciation/pic thread. I don’t have any contributions to start but if anyone does, I’ll happily frequent it
Old 18 January 2021, 01:26 PM   #11
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Unless I’m missing something, a yellow or black non skeleton vanguard crazy hours, I think it should be closer to 9-10k USD. The skeleton I thought was around 25 and the gem set closer to 40. I recall a few on C24 for that ballpark. Will look into it.

There will never be a FM subforum here but I think there are enough of us to have an FM appreciation/pic thread. I don’t have any contributions to start but if anyone does, I’ll happily frequent it
Yea i had a look on Chrono24 last night, carbon skeleton i tried on can be had new for £18,000 not bad considering its a £40,000 watch. The yellow crazy hours £8,500 again new. I do think a FM will be my next watch. I really love the look of the crazy hours but the skeleton was just so nice on. Decisions decisions lol
Old 18 January 2021, 11:25 PM   #12
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yea i had a look on Chrono24 last night, carbon skeleton i tried on can be had new for £18,000 not bad considering its a £40,000 watch. The yellow crazy hours £8,500 again new. I do think a FM will be my next watch. I really love the look of the crazy hours but the skeleton was just so nice on. Decisions decisions lol

Another idea for no other reason than to muddy the consideration process even more lol:
For the price of 1 skeleton vanguard, consider 2 FM pieces: a Crazy Hours (perhaps in a Long Island format) and a Yachting Vanguard. I’ve personally always liked the Yachting, depends on if you do also. (Caveat: Fully expect every watch snob to scoff and every new age social media type to think that you bought some RM knockoff).

Or we can all save up and do a group buy for the Aeternitas and take turns wearing it. Timeshare on the wrist lol.
Old 19 January 2021, 03:39 AM   #13
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
refused to adopt to the times. i think he was against the internet as well. others have mentioned bigger missteps. is a master of complications someone who puts out eta based movements? i mean i know there were some very incredible movements but to me it cheapens the brand when movements are one of the selling points.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote