The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 January 2021, 06:05 AM   #1
Moose500
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
JLC Master Control Chronograph Calendar purchase advice

Hello!

I am looking to buy the 2020 release Master Control Chronograph Calendar, and I need some advice.

There are no ADs near me, so will probably need to purchase on-line. I am happy to drive if a good AD is located in the Midwest.

I am not opposed to Grey market either, but have not seen many of these for sale out in the wild yet.

This is my first time planning to buy JLC. Do you suggest the AD route or Grey?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good AD or reseller for JLC?

Also - what type of discount if any can I expect from a JLC AD?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Moose500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 01:14 AM   #2
mcch2233
"TRF" Member

If you're looking to buy a brand new one online, then Mr. Porter has it listed for $700 under retail (although this may be a mistake): https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/...32202865751141

Overall though, it depends on what's important to you. If you're looking to use this as a way into an AD, then the AD route would be best. I've read around here that discounts can be in the 10-20% range, but not sure how well that will apply to new models.

If all you want is the watch alone, then it will likely end up being cheaper on the grey market in a little while, judging by how older Master Controls are doing.
mcch2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 12:13 PM   #3
Justindo
"TRF" Member

You can usually get an okay discount on JLCs from AD but considering this is a new and popular watch, I wouldn't count on much of a discount. These aren't yet really available on the grey market and so I'd just go ahead and buy one from an AD, especially considering how great JLC's new warranty is. If you wait a year or two, however, things will be different.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:31 PM   #4
Moose500
"TRF" Member

Thank you Mcch2233 and Justindo! That is helpful information.
Old 15 January 2021, 03:34 AM   #5
Isbell
"TRF" Member

Hello Moose. I used to live in STL and remember when Simons was an AD for JLC. Too bad those days are gone! I now live in Chicago and we have a couple of good ADs in the area. Marshall Pierce on Michigan Ave is decent, but I don't think their selection is worth the drive (unless you were just itching for a roadtrip!)

The only other AD in the area is Burdeen's located in Buffalo Grove. This store is absolutely fantastic. They are an AD for JLC, IWC, Omega, Breilting, ALS & Grand Seiko (and I may be forgetting some!). I recently went in there to look at the new Master Control Date and was offered a price of $5,700, so about a 15% discount off MSRP, which for a new model was as much as I reasonably could have expected. Since the chrono is a little more hyped, the discount could be less, but I'm not totally sure that would be the case. Though I ended up deciding to save a little more money before buying the watch, I will definitely buy my first JLC at Burdeen's as this store had great employees that were knowledgeable and very easy to work with. It also boasts one of the best pre owned watch selections I've seen, with tons of Journes, Nautiluses, Royal Oaks, Mosers, new Rolex releases, ALS, etc. I'd say this store is worth a trip both from the JLC AD perspective as well as just seeing some cool and pretty rare watches.

Hope this helped. Good luck with the hunt!
Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 09:00 AM   #6
Moose500
"TRF" Member

Thanks Isbell!

Simons is my AD for Rolex, but unfortunately they have dropped both JLC and Panerai.

I will definitely go up and check out Burdeen's next time I am up in that area.

I love visiting Chicago. It is a great town!
Old 17 January 2021, 07:50 PM   #7
LDesp
"TRF" Member

I purchased a new Master Control Geographic (ref. 4128420) from an AD just before Christmas. I received a discount of 16.02% as well as a free custom made dark blue alligator strap.

The AD did tell me that this kind of discount is rather large on a brand new model.
LDesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 12:43 AM   #8
Moose500
"TRF" Member

Wow, that sounds like a good deal!
Old 19 January 2021, 03:22 PM   #9
saint777
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Looks like we are both looking to buy the same watch. I’m checking around on the prices here in LA. I’ll let you know the best price I get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
saint777 is offline   Reply With Quote