The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 January 2021, 08:27 AM   #1
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

No more AP in Canada

Just spoke with my AD and was told they got dropped by AP January 1. That was the only store in all of Canada.

I wonder if they’re planning on opening a boutique anytime soon or what their plans are I was just inquiring about getting a piece and was surprised on the news. Super sad for me, especially because getting a Rolex I want is next to impossible from them.

Well looks like I gotta move to the states.
116610LV GONE WILL BE MISSED
IsaakZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 08:38 AM   #2
SPeters79
"TRF" Member

If only there was some kind of secondary market. ;)

Jokes aside though, that absolutely sucks and I hope a boutique pops up somewhere here in Canada. Which Rolex?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
SPeters79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 08:59 AM   #3
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

This is why it's short-sighted to go Boutique only. It might work for RM, but no one really buys RM anyway, so few are sold in comparison. (Side note: I love RM)

There are many "wealthy" regions in the US, even, with no AP boutique and no AD remaining since AP closed all those doors.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 09:05 AM   #4
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

I’m waiting for a Pepsi for 3 years but recently have fallen for the Sky Dweller Stainless Steel with black dial. I know Blue is impossible so I decided to go with Black as a backup which should be much easier.

And yeah going grey is great and all I’ve done it before but there’s nothing that beats the feeling of getting a call and paying retail for a watch you’ve always wanted. The 26331 should’nt be as hard to come by as a 15500 or 15202.

The problem is now in the grey market in Canada they will be going for MUCH more of a premium since you simply cannot get it anywhere else but grey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 January 2021, 10:33 AM   #5
Vipes
"TRF" Member

AP is going all boutique and eliminating ADs that carry AP. I assume AP will open boutiques in Canada. Watches from the big 3 (Rolex, PP and AP) will continue to be hard to get. I miss the old days of being able to get watches.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 12:41 PM   #6
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
AP is going all boutique and eliminating ADs that carry AP. I assume AP will open boutiques in Canada. Watches from the big 3 (Rolex, PP and AP) will continue to be hard to get. I miss the old days of being able to get watches.

Agreed with you here. Looks like I have to stick to my one watch collection

Old 17 January 2021, 03:07 PM   #7
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
if AP doesn't even want to entertain the notion of doing business with us, I personnally won't make backflips all over the world (especially right now) to procure their watches, however beautiful they are. Greys in Canada don't have stock either because AP never had much business in the country to begin with. Plenty of other high horology brands that at least made the effort of having retailers here and will take my money instead from now on.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 03:47 PM   #8
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

I know this is the AP section of the forum. But there's more than AP in life man. Unless you can't live without one, even in the sports watch category there are enough brands to appreciate. I love my 15300 and 15450 but if one day I don't have them anymore I'm OK.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 08:48 PM   #9
GS93108
"TRF" Member

That’s a shame, but it has to be part of the bigger plan.
AP isn’t abandoning the USA or Canada, there has to be a greater plan, but as with all plans I imagine that there have been set backs. Fingers crossed it’s just a temporary cessation of AP’s representation in Canada and that there’ll be an alternative some time in the future.
I’m not saying that we in the UK have the same problem, but now AP is ONLY in London, having closed non-owned AD’s just this year.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 09:11 PM   #10
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
I know this is the AP section of the forum. But there's more than AP in life man. Unless you can't live without one, even in the sports watch category there are enough brands to appreciate. I love my 15300 and 15450 but if one day I don't have them anymore I'm OK.
+1
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Seiko: SRPA21, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 12:48 AM   #11
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaakZ View Post
Just spoke with my AD and was told they got dropped by AP January 1. That was the only store in all of Canada.

I wonder if they’re planning on opening a boutique anytime soon or what their plans are I was just inquiring about getting a piece and was surprised on the news. Super sad for me, especially because getting a Rolex I want is next to impossible from them.

Well looks like I gotta move to the states.
Unless you were planning to get a code 1159 or RO offshore any AP SS piece will be just as hard if not harder to get than SS Rolex. So if you are waiting forever for your Pepsi, I wouldnt expect AP SS to be any faster
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 12:52 AM   #12
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
if AP doesn't even want to entertain the notion of doing business with us, I personnally won't make backflips all over the world (especially right now) to procure their watches, however beautiful they are. Greys in Canada don't have stock either because AP never had much business in the country to begin with. Plenty of other high horology brands that at least made the effort of having retailers here and will take my money instead from now on.

Like VACHERON I’m assuming.

Patek there’s only 2 dealers in all of Canada both of which make you have a minimum spend before entertaining any purchases of anything decent. It’s horrible what we have to go through here to get into a watch

Old 18 January 2021, 12:54 AM   #13
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Unless you were planning to get a code 1159 or RO offshore any AP SS piece will be just as hard if not harder to get than SS Rolex. So if you are waiting forever for your Pepsi, I wouldnt expect AP SS to be any faster

I’d imagine a boutique would be easier to deal with than an AD who plays games constantly making you spend on jewelry and unwanted stuff to get in their good graces. But than again who knows.

There is obviously much more to life than AP, but we’re on a watch forum so I mentioned AP LOL

Old 18 January 2021, 01:30 AM   #14
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’d imagine a boutique would be easier to deal with than an AD who plays games constantly making you spend on jewelry and unwanted stuff to get in their good graces. But than again who knows.

There is obviously much more to life than AP, but we’re on a watch forum so I mentioned AP LOL

AP is so hot now that it is not that different from Rolex. They don’t make you buy unwanted stuff but for you to “build your relationship” you have to buy more pieces and buying popular pieces won’t help. Buying less popular pieces like Codes and ladies watches will help.

I bought an AP 26315 from a newly opened boutique. I asked about being on a waitlist for the 15202. They said it was a “relationship type of piece”. I interpreted as I didn’t spend enough to be on the waitlist. I was cool with this and I will come back to AP when they are more accessible.
Old 18 January 2021, 01:31 AM   #15
goosehd
"TRF" Member

Is the AD, RDV in Toronto? I haven’t been there in a few years, but their selection of brands seems greatly diminished.
goosehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 01:34 AM   #16
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosehd View Post
Is the AD, RDV in Toronto? I haven’t been there in a few years, but their selection of brands seems greatly diminished.

Yes that’s correct that was the only AD in Canada and they are no longer carrying AP.

Many other brands but AP is gone.

Stainless Rolex is impossible unless you’re VIP and that’s pretty much it besides VACHERON CONSTANTIN

Old 18 January 2021, 01:34 AM   #17
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
AP is so hot now that it is not that different from Rolex. They don’t make you buy unwanted stuff but for you to “build your relationship” you have to buy more pieces and buying popular pieces won’t help. Buying less popular pieces like Codes and ladies watches will help.

I bought an AP 26315 from a newly opened boutique. I asked about being on a waitlist for the 15202. They said it was a “relationship type of piece”. I interpreted as I didn’t spend enough to be on the waitlist. I was cool with this and I will come back to AP when they are more accessible.

So still playing games but with watches. That’s atleast ok. I’d rather lose on a watch than an overpriced diamond or piece of gold.

Old 18 January 2021, 04:41 AM   #18
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Stainless Rolex is impossible unless you’re VIP and that’s pretty much it besides VACHERON CONSTANTIN
Overseas is nice, but the price hike for the latest iteration of the chronograph was pretty ambitious.
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:37 AM   #19
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Overseas is nice, but the price hike for the latest iteration of the chronograph was pretty ambitious.

From VC or AP? They both increased from my knowledge

Old 18 January 2021, 08:16 AM   #20
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:
Like VACHERON I’m assuming.

Patek there’s only 2 dealers in all of Canada both of which make you have a minimum spend before entertaining any purchases of anything decent. It’s horrible what we have to go through here to get into a watch

I have seen 4 ADs on Patek website last time I checked, still better to play those silly games over not playing at all to be honest. So yeah, Patek, VC, Lange, all more deserving of my hard earned money over a brand that is busier making limited editions for the Middle East and Japan than building a world wide presence for their customers.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:18 AM   #21
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
I have seen 4 ADs on Patek website last time I checked, still better to play those silly games over not playing at all to be honest. So yeah, Patek, VC, Lange, all more deserving of my hard earned money over a brand that is busier making limited editions for the Middle East and Japan than building a world wide presence for their customers.

Those Patek ADs want you to spend 100+k per month on jewelry not watches to be considered for a piece over here in Canada not sure if I’ve been living in the dark or what

Old 18 January 2021, 08:19 AM   #22
Vipes
"TRF" Member

VC is a good alternative. I have the VC dual time and it is a really nice watch. VC just had a price increase and there are rumors of the blue dials going boutique only.
Old 18 January 2021, 08:32 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
This is news to me but good to know. I never bought at RDV anyways.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:35 AM   #24
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
This is news to me but good to know. I never bought at RDV anyways.

Sucky, but in reality you wouldn’t be able to get one even if you wanted. Obviously you know how it goes with them over there lol. Lucky I was able to scoop an explorer 2 in 2019 and a rootbeer for my birthday in 2020

Old 18 January 2021, 09:55 AM   #25
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
From VC or AP? They both increased from my knowledge
Well, both, but I was referring to the VC overseas chronograph at $30k+ - I used to think of it as a nice ~$15k watch.
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 02:06 PM   #26
tcpx
"TRF" Member

Wow this is news to me. Glad I was able to snag my RO from Louis Black when it was still an AD. Wonder what APs plan is for Canada..
tcpx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 08:09 AM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’d bet a Toronto boutique is in the plan.

I do feel for people in Canada. Getting watches can be royal pain which is the exact opposite of the situation just 5 years ago.
Old 19 January 2021, 11:55 AM   #28
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’d bet a Toronto boutique is in the plan.

I do feel for people in Canada. Getting watches can be royal pain which is the exact opposite of the situation just 5 years ago.

Doubt it with current situation I think they’re pulling out for a while if anything Vancouver might be the next step. The situation is unbelievable. Hoping things will change as soon as possible

Old 19 January 2021, 01:25 PM   #29
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Doubt it with current situation I think they’re pulling out for a while if anything Vancouver might be the next step. The situation is unbelievable. Hoping things will change as soon as possible

Seems nuts. Do you guys have retail outlets for Journe?
Old 19 January 2021, 02:37 PM   #30
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

I too feel for our Canadian brethren with the lack of options....May I suggest “building a relationship” with an AD in Las Vegas or something, where a huge portion of their client list is non-local?

I’d also put a strong vote in for the Vacheron Overseas. The chono is a little too chunky for my tastes but the three hander and dual time are awesome and your dollar will go father in terms of features.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrBlahBlah is offline   Reply With Quote