The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 November 2019, 03:56 AM   #61
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip8541 View Post
Look at it this way Im totally fine wearing it now. You can do as the dentist did, keep it in the safe for someone else to put its love on it, or be good with the fact that you were able to really own a new 16710 and make it your own. This watch is my own and i'm glad to wear it and it will never be polished. It doesn't come off my wrist now even to sleep and gets washed with Dial bar soap in the shower.

Thanks for sharing your story Chip. To distract myself, I bought another but this time was a well-worn 16710LN with nice patina. Absolutely loving the 5 digits GMT more and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JasonBetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 02:26 AM   #62
watchtung
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16700, bb 58, kira
Beautiful. I also have a 16700 but no where near in the same condition!

watchtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 07:13 AM   #63
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Great watch but it’s one of those crazy things that you can’t really wear isn’t it?

People will say just wear it but honestly I’d not have bought that watch if I wanted to wear it. You could get a really nice watch to wear and not fret over it but one that’s exceptional, almost unseen condition with a mint case back sticker isn’t something you buy to wear is it?

Seen it a few times over the years with people selling NOS Heuer’s and the like where they’re effectively just carers for the watch and then move them on to other collectors. Nobody in their right mind is buying a NOS watch for x times the price of a really nice one just to wear it when they could have just bought a wearer, saved money and not had to worry.

I’m all for people wearing the new ones to death but old survivors that are NOS?? Can’t just get one and enjoy peeling the 30 year old stickers off exactly can you? Be like buying a mint barn find Ferrari for a premium (that every collector would drool over) using it as a daily and making it into the condition of every other used Ferrari that you could have bought for half the price.

I almost feel like you’ve got some responsibility to keep the ball rolling when things get to a certain age remaining pristine.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 07:21 AM   #64
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Gorgeous watch. Enjoy it!
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 05:38 AM   #65
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
Great watch but it’s one of those crazy things that you can’t really wear isn’t it?

People will say just wear it but honestly I’d not have bought that watch if I wanted to wear it. You could get a really nice watch to wear and not fret over it but one that’s exceptional, almost unseen condition with a mint case back sticker isn’t something you buy to wear is it?

Seen it a few times over the years with people selling NOS Heuer’s and the like where they’re effectively just carers for the watch and then move them on to other collectors. Nobody in their right mind is buying a NOS watch for x times the price of a really nice one just to wear it when they could have just bought a wearer, saved money and not had to worry.

I’m all for people wearing the new ones to death but old survivors that are NOS?? Can’t just get one and enjoy peeling the 30 year old stickers off exactly can you? Be like buying a mint barn find Ferrari for a premium (that every collector would drool over) using it as a daily and making it into the condition of every other used Ferrari that you could have bought for half the price.

I almost feel like you’ve got some responsibility to keep the ball rolling when things get to a certain age remaining pristine.

I got to agree. Even though everything needs to be worn, you won't get this back. Like you said, you can beat it up in a few months and easily could have bought a cheaper one.

Someone on here bought a NOS 1675 once. It looks amazing and has to be amazing on the wrist but it's one of the few left. So I would store that one and buy another 1675 or whatever to actually wear and enjoy.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 03:37 PM   #66
jensonslee
"TRF" Member

Looks good and at $14k, it's a pretty good price. Last I saw on Chrono24, one sold for $20k but had the stickers and all.
jensonslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 03:49 PM   #67
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
So I would store that one and buy another 1675 or whatever to actually wear and enjoy.

The very reason I was hunting for a day to day 16700 to wear but found a nicely aged 16710. So yeah I'm looking for a normal 16700 to wear.

JasonBetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 05:30 PM   #68
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBetts View Post
Thanks for sharing Springer. Always learning something new from you.

Anyone happened to know or remember when did the barcoded sticker case started?

Barcode stickers began in 2006 I believe.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote