The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 November 2019, 05:48 AM   #1
Adirondoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak 16315
City of Sails Chrono?

While casting about for a suitable companion to my elegant silver-dialed 15450, I kept coming across the City of Sails limited edition Chrono, Ref. 25979ST.0.0002CA.01

To my 16.5" wrist, it seems a nice balance size-wise, as the Offshore is just too big for my taste, and my 15450 is smaller and dressier. With its silver, greys, black and touch of red, I find it quite fetching and a counter to the dressier 15450. Without being ostentatious, there is so much more going on in the dial, something that creates visual interest. The few reviews I saw have extolled its virtues, but are offered by those with one to sell, so I take that with a pinch of salt. Why are there a number of these rather limited-run chronos available and towards the cheaper end of the scale? In fact, in any search, the cheapest 39mm chronos are the Sails. Were there any glaring shortcomings? As price is set by demand, I'd like to know that maybe the looks weren't to everyone's tastes. That's ok. If, however, this watch has bad bones, that's another story altogether. Can anyone share anything on this enigmatic chrono?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COS.JPG (38.1 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg 0c0223770a94e364b955fe3a4e6d9157.jpg (236.6 KB, 408 views)
Adirondoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 08:13 AM   #2
Adirondoc
"TRF" Member

Ironically, the City of Sails version commemorates a winning Swiss Alinghi team but at a mere 1000 units made, is quite easy to come by. In contrast, the Be Happy chronograph commemorates a team that, in losing, was anything but happy. Kind of don't like the colors either, but to each their own. I'm sure it will appeal greatly to Swedes. In comparison to the City of Sails, the Happy is relatively scarce and somewhat pricier. Each uses the venerable 2385 caliber.
Old 19 November 2019, 11:04 AM   #3
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
One of my patients was a crew member on Alinghi. He has this watch (the first one). He tried to sell it years ago and was not offered much for it.
He sent me a picture of his collection of watches that were gifted to him over the years as a team member. They sit in boxes and he rarely wears them.
Im not sure this would be among my first choices for an AP. The red swirly thing is just odd.
If you are in to sailing, the watch makes sense. Otherwise you are always going to have to explain the watch and watch peoples eyes glaze over with disinterest over a 15 year old race.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 11:11 AM   #4
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Well I've considered it but have owned the 25860 and currently a 26022/25960 rose gold ROC. I'd definitely consider this watch if it were 100m WR so I could travel with it, but I've seen conflicting information. While I love their bracelets, I wear mine on rubber in the summer so this watch could easily work for me.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 01:30 PM   #5
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Always liked it but I don't know much about it. The one in your pictures looks very soft though.
Old 19 November 2019, 05:51 PM   #6
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I have never owned the City Of Sails but I have owned two other A/P 39mm chronos and I can tell you that they are beautifully made and function extremely well. I believe the caliber is based on the FP1185 movement which is a ubiquitous chronograph movement in luxury watches. The reason for the lower cost of the COS is that it lacks the bracelet which is an expensive and desirable feature on Royal Oaks.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 11:45 PM   #7
Adirondoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I have never owned the City Of Sails but I have owned two other A/P 39mm chronos and I can tell you that they are beautifully made and function extremely well. I believe the caliber is based on the FP1185 movement which is a ubiquitous chronograph movement in luxury watches. The reason for the lower cost of the COS is that it lacks the bracelet which is an expensive and desirable feature on Royal Oaks.
Ahh, of course that makes sense. I'll admit, I'm rather taken with all the 39mm ROCs and believe they share the same wrist dimensions regardless of flavor. Owing to a recent purchase of a rather simple 15450 silver dial which comes off as dressy, my rationale has been getting something on the opposite side of the spectrum. Perhaps I'm looking for something that splits the difference between the offshore and ROC, as my 6.5" wrists look awful when encumbered with that much watch. Truth told, spending the extra 10K for a ROC on bracelet so soon after the 15450 leaves me with irreconcilable guilt! Oh, what will the wife say this time!?
Old 19 November 2019, 11:51 PM   #8
aproo
"TRF" Member

This is my Alinghi COS. Perhaps this will help you gauge how it looks with bracelet. I had a 1.5 link added to get a better fit.

Good luck on your decision.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
aproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 05:23 AM   #9
Adirondoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aproo View Post
This is my Alinghi COS. Perhaps this will help you gauge how it looks with bracelet. I had a 1.5 link added to get a better fit.

Good luck on your decision.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I think it looks great! Getting an AP with superlative movement at a steep discount seems an excellent way of stepping up in my eyes. The dial may not appeal to everyone, but compared to many of the Offshores, it seems rather sedate! While I have little interest in sailing, I think this model stands on its own and the sailing bit wouldn't be a plus or a minus. I see people wearing the Shaq Offshore who wouldn't know the color of a basketball. Your bracelet completely changes the look, not that the rubber strap is anything to sneeze at. Looks like it has a lot of presence on the wrist. What size is your wrist? Does it wear comfortably? Big difference from the way it felt on a band? Well done and thanks for posting.
Old 20 November 2019, 05:54 PM   #10
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

The RO chronograph is considerably thicker than the time only 15450. The white hands make it extremely legible. The dial of the COS definitely gives it the look of the ROO without the monstrous size. And you will probably never encounter someone else wearing one.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 01:21 PM   #11
Adirondoc
"TRF" Member

I had a visit with my local high end AD who noted they'd be a participating AP boutique by next month. While there, I tried the ROO Diver and despite its appearing fine on a 6.5" wrist on videos, it was clearly pushing the limits of acceptable as an everyday wearer. Don't even ask about the ROOC. Laughable. I did try on this very handsome 38mm ROC which, to my eye, fit very well. I can imagine that the 39mm would likely fit as well, maybe even better. I confessed to him it looked a bit too similar to the silver 37mm RO I was wearing. Trade it in, he said. Tempting but pricey. I can't help but think the COS edition looks like a ROO and fits like a ROC. That at $10K less. Either that or trade in my one month old RO at a big loss and pony up a lot more for the benefit of three small blue sub-dials. Ouch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75292994_560560344515989_259704281408471040_n.jpg (270.9 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 979e5fbf53c9ad03b2b6937d7945424a.jpg (64.5 KB, 175 views)
Old 21 November 2019, 02:43 PM   #12
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Tough call ... in my humble opinion, the 38 ROC fits you better than the 450, at least from those pics (and it is a nicer watch than the COS). I would trade it. Somebody like DavidSW will give you a better deal for your RO. If you paid retail you should be more / less ok.
Old 21 November 2019, 10:41 PM   #13
Adirondoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Tough call ... in my humble opinion, the 38 ROC fits you better than the 450, at least from those pics (and it is a nicer watch than the COS). I would trade it. Somebody like DavidSW will give you a better deal for your RO. If you paid retail you should be more / less ok.
I happen to agree. The 450 wears a bit small on me. It's a classic tale. The 15500, way too big. The 202, unobtainable. I went small which is doable over too large which is a non-starter. I may well part with the 450. I've asked the boutique for some numbers and will go from there. I paid a bit over MSRP at $19 and expect to take a hit. Hopefully not completely clobbered. I do appreciate your candid opinion, so thanks.
Old 22 November 2019, 10:16 AM   #14
Adirondoc
"TRF" Member

Done

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Rolex TT Daytona Arabic Panda / Rolex GMT II Pepsi / Rolex Explorer II Polar / '53 18K Datejust / Rolex 41 SS Datejust / PP Calatrava Date / IWC Flieger Chrono / AP Royal Oak 15450 / AP Royal Oak Panda Chrono 26315 / OP Radiomir 210 / OP Luminor 1392
Old 22 November 2019, 10:29 AM   #15
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondoc View Post
Done

That was quick! Congrats OP. Enjoy your new AP

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 22 November 2019, 10:42 AM   #16
aproo
"TRF" Member

congrats...! looks great.
aproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 11:04 AM   #17
Adirondoc
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

Rolex TT Daytona Arabic Panda / Rolex GMT II Pepsi / Rolex Explorer II Polar / '53 18K Datejust / Rolex 41 SS Datejust / PP Calatrava Date / IWC Flieger Chrono / AP Royal Oak 15450 / AP Royal Oak Panda Chrono 26315 / OP Radiomir 210 / OP Luminor 1392
Old 22 November 2019, 11:10 AM   #18
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Sweet! Looks amazing! Very well done!