The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 November 2019, 09:48 PM   #1
bathducks123
"TRF" Member

Buying in Chrono 24

Any1 mind sharing their experiences purchasing with chrono24 for an omega

Im thinking to buy 1 since the country im in does not have an extensive omega AD

Its price range arnd 4.2k usd or 3.8k euros
bathducks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 10:45 PM   #2
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Check the seller’s profile and history. I bought a Seiko on Chrono24 and I like that they kept the money in escrow until I received the watch, inspected it and gave them the green light to release the mo way to the seller. Do your due diligence and check prices, some are over priced and others are very reasonably priced.
Finally buy the seller before the watch. Check check check their history and credibility

BTW, a lot of great trusted sellers on TRF will ship internationally so I also encourage you to check on here
Best of luck!
Old 20 November 2019, 11:53 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I agree with the answer DoctorA posted and it’s good advice for any online selling platform.

Chrono24 has different levels of sellers so be especially watchful for who is truly trusted versus private individuals.

Remember that even a Chrono24 account can be hacked so ask for pictures to be taken with the watch hands set to a particular time of your choosing. Not a perfect method but it does sort out the amateur scammers.

Most of all, research the seller’s name for any online Who’s Who type of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 12:57 AM   #4
bathducks123
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, i just prefer shopping in a platform with an official 3rd party handling the payment

But ill check out TRF sellers as well and see if they have what i want.

Cheers
bathducks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 01:13 AM   #5
0-60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Check the seller’s profile and history. I bought a Seiko on Chrono24 and I like that they kept the money in escrow until I received the watch, inspected it and gave them the green light to release the mo way to the seller. Do your due diligence and check prices, some are over priced and others are very reasonably priced.
Finally buy the seller before the watch. Check check check their history and credibility

BTW, a lot of great trusted sellers on TRF will ship internationally so I also encourage you to check on here
Best of luck!

This.
Old 21 November 2019, 01:14 AM   #6
Morrison0
Banned

Watch: 116500 BLRO SubLB
Get the watch inspected and hold the money on escrow, it works well. I bought a PAM and a Rolex and it worked out well.
Morrison0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 01:22 AM   #7
Toony
"TRF" Member

Many great sellers here. Check the reviews and make your own choice.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 02:30 AM   #8
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I have purchased on C24 and had zero issues
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 02:56 AM   #9
SydR
"TRF" Member

I had my first problem with a Chrono24 transaction this week when one was damaged on arrival. Contacted Chrono24 and the seller. The latter is bending over backwards to get things resolved as the funds are still frozen in escrow.
SydR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 06:47 AM   #10
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydR View Post
I had my first problem with a Chrono24 transaction this week when one was damaged on arrival. Contacted Chrono24 and the seller. The latter is bending over backwards to get things resolved as the funds are still frozen in escrow.
Please let us know the outcome, I hope it all works out
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Old 21 November 2019, 07:08 AM   #11
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison0 View Post
Get the watch inspected and hold the money on escrow, it works well. I bought a PAM and a Rolex and it worked out well.
It always works out if you buy from a decent seller with or without Chrono.
You have to ask yourself what is Chrono doing if it does not work out as you expect ?

The term trusted seller is highly misleading since all sellers are on that platform, even the ones selling rubbish.

One should always do the homework in vetting a seller
Old 21 November 2019, 07:13 AM   #12
SydR
"TRF" Member

Buying in Chrono 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
Please let us know the outcome, I hope it all works out

Thanks. In the grand scheme of things it’s an inexpensive watch (sub £1k) but one that caught my eye. The seller is content for me to take it to a local, highly recommended, watch maker to get it assessed. It’s possible in may just be a cracked crystal and, if so, he’ll pay for the repairs and I’ll accept it. I suspect, from the photos he’s asked for, he will be claiming against the carrier.

Anything else I send it back and get my money back. He did first suggest I send it back and he have his own watch maker look at it but that brought too many unknowns.

The Chrono24 team have approved that deal and asked I keep them in the loop.
Old 21 November 2019, 07:45 AM   #13
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

For me it would be a big let down as when opening that box you would expect it be packed well enough to protect from damage and if the crystal is cracked and it was packed well what type of impact would it have to have taken to crack it, I would be concerned about internal damage on an impact that hard
Old 21 November 2019, 08:17 AM   #14
SydR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
For me it would be a big let down as when opening that box you would expect it be packed well enough to protect from damage and if the crystal is cracked and it was packed well what type of impact would it have to have taken to crack it, I would be concerned about internal damage on an impact that hard

I’ll know more once I get it looked at locally and still have the backup option to reject if necessary.
Old 21 November 2019, 09:12 AM   #15
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

Bought a GMT through Chrono just this month. Messaged the seller, which was an individual, and we had a good convo through email. That helped a lot. The fact that he accepted escrow payment also was a good sign. I should also mention that the watch belonged to a solid TRFr before (cheers 037!). He confirmed a bunch of things about the watch so I was confident in the transaction. When buying from an individual I would try to check professional credentials (nowadays anyone can be searched) as well. Nothing like the fear of being exposed in case something goes bad!
Cooper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 03:59 AM   #16
brianrbenton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post

Best of luck!
Follow every word of this message!!
brianrbenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 05:55 AM   #17
SydR
"TRF" Member

Update on my damaged watch.

Dropped watch off yesterday and heard back today that, other than the cracked glass, it is in very good condition. Watch maker also verified its as described in the Chrono24 write up.

Repair cost was send to seller who has already wired money through.

Overall happy with how seller dealt with it.
Old 24 November 2019, 12:14 AM   #18
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydR View Post
Update on my damaged watch.

Dropped watch off yesterday and heard back today that, other than the cracked glass, it is in very good condition. Watch maker also verified its as described in the Chrono24 write up.

Repair cost was send to seller who has already wired money through.

Overall happy with how seller dealt with it.
Glad it worked out and your happy with the deal
Old 24 November 2019, 12:57 AM   #19
JD305
"TRF" Member

Watch: Long E 1675
>>> What DoctorA posted above <<< ... and I'd like to add

There is always the chance of issues when shipping a watch. Problems happen even to the best of sellers. The question is, how does the seller handle the issue ... that's what separates the best Sellers from the regular guys.

Packages get tossed around and movements and/or hands get jarred loose ... though I've never seen a cracked sapphire crystal during shipping? The crystal may have been previously chipped and the seller did not mention?

Places like Chrono24 do provide a buying space where a buyer wants to use escrow type transaction. Ebay is also very protective of the buyer (although many sellers refuse to sell there because there are many scam buyers out there), this format may be good if you are buying a lower tier luxury brand.

Many of the reputable private sellers on TRF will go the extra mile because their reputation is at stake. Some men that handle thousands of dollars worth of watches are still humble, live by their word and a handshake.

Best Sellers:
1. They pristinely clean the watch before photographing ... that's a sign of someone that really cares about their watches (if you are selling thousands of dollar watch, why would you leave sweat and crud on the watch?)
2. clear and closeup photos of every angle of the watch .. and they are not afraid to photograph nicks and dents on the watch .. their photos do not try to hide cosmetic defects
3. they tell you everything that is mechanically/cosmetically wrong or off. (it runs +5s per day, or the date wheel does not align when it flip to 31)
4. they have no problem posting additional photos
5. they provide a direct number home or work where you can call them right up
6. BONUS: if the seller takes photos of the movement (forget all that pushback you may hear "oh, the WR warranty would be void, I can't do that") ... you are buying 3rd hand, the WR warranty is void already.
7. BONUS: if they provide video of the watch running and adjusting date, etc
8. References and references do help ... though I do feel that talking to that person on the phone, you can get a good feeling about their character
9. They will assist the buyer if the watch arrives with any issue apart from the ones originally stated.

Regular Seller:
1. do none or very poor of the above
2. they have poor attitude and follow through if there is an issue

Scam seller:
1. be careful with guys with low posts setting up additional accounts posing as buyers in order to give themselves positive feedback (even on other forums) .. this happened to a member on Paneristi, and was scammed out $5K+
2. won't provide phone or additional photos
3. be careful with trade scams ... I would only trade with very reputable members, too many things can go wrong.
JD305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 11:04 PM   #20
SydR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD305 View Post
... though I've never seen a cracked sapphire crystal during shipping? The crystal may have been previously chipped and the seller did not mention?

Possibly. The crack had formed from the very edge of the case and there is a chance any damage may have gone unnoticed before being sent.

Willing to give the seller the benefit of the doubt as he seems genuinely apologetic and I got an prompt solution.
Old 27 November 2019, 06:46 AM   #21
onnomon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD305 View Post
>>> What DoctorA posted above <<< ... and I'd like to add

There is always the chance of issues when shipping a watch. Problems happen even to the best of sellers. The question is, how does the seller handle the issue ... that's what separates the best Sellers from the regular guys.....
Then there are the RE-SELLERS.

These are entities that sell watches they don't possess. They often use only one or two stock images of the watch. They may also quote between 2 to 8 weeks for delivery. Consider them "buying agents".

IMHO I find their presence on C24 a bit annoying.
onnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2019, 09:55 AM   #22
JD305
"TRF" Member

Watch: Long E 1675
This some really F'kd up stuff ... creating a forum account and listing, so you can collect a finders fee on selling a 3rd party watch?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnomon View Post
Then there are the RE-SELLERS.

These are entities that sell watches they don't possess. They often use only one or two stock images of the watch. They may also quote between 2 to 8 weeks for delivery. Consider them "buying agents".

IMHO I find their presence on C24 a bit annoying.
JD305 is offline   Reply With Quote