The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 28 September 2019, 10:06 PM   #1
Sub993
"TRF" Member

SCAMMED for $10K....my story

Not the 1st post you want to see from a new member but I came on here to warn everyone of a potential scam.

So my story goes like this.....

After saving for my dream watch a Rolex non date Submariner. I was finally ready to pull the trigger so I visited multiple ADs in the Toronto area. As you can imagine walking into a AD with ZERO previous purchases and asking for a S/S Sub gets you pretty much laughed at in most cases. I was even told by one of the boutiques in the city that they dont even get ANY S/S Sport models(totally BS, just to get me out). I was told by the majority there is no waitlists any more for any S/S watches. After being let down hard I figured, no problem I'll just go the grey market and NOT PLAY the games of the ADs. I only wanted a SubMariner No Date, so the market up wasn't like a Daytona or Pepsi.

So I went on to the WatchUseek forum 1 night and came across a FS post for a 114060 just like I wanted. After checking out 3 References, talking to the seller on the phone and going thru all 200+ posts of the seller, getting a pic of his license. I felt comfortable enough to wire the funds the next day.

Before I turn this into a 5 page post here is the link to my scam and since the actually sale post was taken down...

**I can't post a link since I dont have 10 posts, I will post it below once I can

I'm NOT writing this post for advice, I understand NOW NOT TO WIRE MONEY to a seller that doesn't have 100+ sales.

I'm just here to expose the scammer. The person I delt with with Lopez Osuna and the money went into Maria Osuna bank account, They are from the Pomona California Area.

So in the end lesson learned on my part, and I wish the horror upon NO one else. After saving up $10,000 CAD for my dream watch and getting my dreams absolutely crushed. I am in no position finicially to just plop another $10K down and buy a watch and move on.

I just hope my story helps others and exposes the scammer.

Thank you for your time.
Sub993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:08 AM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What is the scammer’s user ID on WUS?

Did you also report this on WUS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:12 AM   #3
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Sorry to hear it. Start a go fund me page. I'll donate some money. Next time buy from a grey dealer. You may pay more but you won't get ripped off. Fellow Canadians can point you to a good grey.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:16 AM   #4
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
10k for a sub no date? That seems way over matket price as I see them for sale around 8.5k

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:17 AM   #5
healer
"TRF" Member

I’m so sorry to hear this. I hope you can get your money back. Never ,never ,buy anything with wire transfer. No matter what other people will say. Never assume that bec they have a lot of post that there legit. When you do wire transfer your at the mercy of the receiver. Something has to be done. I’m brand new here and already saw to many post that they got scammed.
healer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:18 AM   #6
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
I can only imagine the sickening feeling.

Without a doubt go to the authorities. That kind of money can lead to jail time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 September 2019, 12:22 AM   #7
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolextellstime View Post
10k for a sub no date? That seems way over matket price as I see them for sale around 8.5k

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
He's talking CAD

Sorry to hear OP
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:25 AM   #8
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
Dang, what a heart break. I am sorry to hear this and I hope that everything gets resolved - and definitely report to the authorities.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:32 AM   #9
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:
Originally Posted by healer View Post
I’m so sorry to hear this. I hope you can get your money back. Never ,never ,buy anything with wire transfer. No matter what other people will say. Never assume that bec they have a lot of post that there legit. When you do wire transfer your at the mercy of the receiver. Something has to be done. I’m brand new here and already saw to many post that they got scammed.
Absolutely right!! I see sooo much about “buy the seller” which certainly is important but the only Sure way to protect yourself is NEVER wire transfer, period. OP so sorry to hear this happened.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 01:30 AM   #10
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear.

If I read your post correct you could do this again if seller has 100+ sales?
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 01:30 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m genuinely sorry to hear about his.

Can you post the seller ID here so that all can see? I wonder if the mods would maybe make an exception to your post count ...

There are. A few great trusted sellers here in Canada but the same principles apply of buying the seller.

I’d go so far as to encourage you to contact an AD about getting a Submariner. They do pop up every now and then at AD’s.

All the best of luck to you
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 01:43 AM   #12
kwcsports
"TRF" Member

I read your story, again, very sorry for the situation. I hope local police in CA can do something and good on you for posting to warn others. I agree on the Go Fund Me idea, I'd give you some cash.
kwcsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 02:38 AM   #13
tmur
"TRF" Member

Did you call/text his references he provided and see if they were legit. If you deal with someone that is reputable they will take care of you. The watch world is small and if you plan to stay in it for the long haul- you can’t screw people over.

I feel for you but when I buy and sell watches and I have never done a deal with them before I usually pay via PayPal goods and services. To protect both parties.

tmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 03:12 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Terrible.

I can guarantee you you're not the only one.

I'd splatter those names locally in Craigs and Kijiji and mention the bank. As long as your story is all true, its not defamation.

Just keep posting and renewing with keywords like Rolex, Pawn Shop, Scam, Thief etc... Someone will notice.

Its not just about getting the money back, its about making life miserable for the scammer and informing others.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 07:00 AM   #15
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
I’ve done one deal on Kijiji. I was very lucky. Met the seller though, face to face at MY jeweler and got the go-ahead from him before money changed hands.

Trusted Seller or not, wiring thousands to someone is a very ballsy move that I could probably never do. I’d sooner fly down to wherever and do an old fashioned F2F deal.

That’s just me I suppose.

Sorry to hear about this OP. Definitely post the name and as many details as you can share, to prevent further victims. Also, as mentioned above, posting on the other platforms is a great idea as well.

Best,
Haven.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 11:58 AM   #16
Thumpr
"TRF" Member

SCAMMED for $10K....my story

Sounds like you did your due diligence in checking out the seller and we’re still taken.

If I see a watch I want to purchase and the individual states that they will only accept a wire transfer, I move on.

Scams happen with wire transfers, credit cards and PayPal but if I am purchasing an expensive item from someone I have never met, I don’t care who you are, how many references you have or how many watches you’ve sold, I’m not wiring you money.

I hope you are able resolve this.
Thumpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:17 PM   #17
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Brutal. So sorry. It’s a jungle

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:58 PM   #18
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear about what happened. Maybe you can help the community out by posting the username on WUS. It would be worth reporting also to the P.D. local to the scammer. You should have their name, contact info and address - that’s a good starting point.
Old 1 October 2019, 09:07 AM   #19
Sub993
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, sorry for not responding sooner just catching up now.

So yes I reached out WUS and they have since then taken down the for sale post and banned the member not that we would be posting any more.

Looks like a dead end trying to retrieve my money back, so it was a hard lesson learned to say the least....

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 2 October 2019, 04:01 AM   #20
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub993 View Post
Hey guys, sorry for not responding sooner just catching up now.

So yes I reached out WUS and they have since then taken down the for sale post and banned the member not that we would be posting any more.

Looks like a dead end trying to retrieve my money back, so it was a hard lesson learned to say the least....

What did the local police say? Did you file a theft report? Did you call the other persons bank (receiving party) and report it? Sometimes the bank account is hacked and money gets wired in and out before the real owner even knows what’s happened. In some cases the receiving bank can freeze the funds
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 04:09 AM   #21
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Also I realize it’s not much consolation now but in the future you can usually find these watches at grey dealers that have actually stores/businesses. DavidSW has one in stock now and they take credit cards, etc.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 04:34 AM   #22
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Very sorry to hear and I hope you get your money back, somehow.
Good luck
Old 2 October 2019, 05:47 AM   #23
Sub993
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
What did the local police say? Did you file a theft report? Did you call the other persons bank (receiving party) and report it? Sometimes the bank account is hacked and money gets wired in and out before the real owner even knows what’s happened. In some cases the receiving bank can freeze the funds
I called the local Pomona police, the said I have to go thru my local police and they will get in touch with them. I did file a report with my local police. As well filled a report with the FBI online with their fraud website. I called Wells Fargo which is the scammers bank, filed another report there as well.

I spent a better part of 2 days trying every avenue to report too.

The only ones I didn't was Rolex and bitch about not having the watch I saved up for in stock. Walking into a AD as a young 30 something adult and asking to by a Sub is next to impossible I found. And I tried 6 ADs in my area...

I don't blame anyone but myself..... I'm just broken from the whole ordeal I guess. Oh well Life goes on...

Old 2 October 2019, 03:48 PM   #24
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Don’t give up. Hope something good comes out of the police report.
Old 2 October 2019, 04:44 PM   #25
rolehex

Don't give up! Hire a Private investigator from the Pomona area to search for Maria Osuna because that's the bank account and she had to use an ID to open it. Lopez Osuna is a mix of surnames so I doubt that's a real person. Did they provide an address? What bank account you wired to? Post their information here!

I bet they have opened a new account here and are watching this thread.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 09:47 PM   #26
Sub993
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
Don't give up! Hire a Private investigator from the Pomona area to search for Maria Osuna because that's the bank account and she had to use an ID to open it. Lopez Osuna is a mix of surnames so I doubt that's a real person. Did they provide an address? What bank account you wired to? Post their information here!

I bet they have opened a new account here and are watching this thread.
Hiring a PI is a expensive option that might not even get me my money back. I've already lost enough money and can't afford to lose more.

I agree that Lopez is just a named they used or stole.

And this is the home address I got for the wire

Maria Osuna
2579 Valley Blvd
Pomona CA
Old 2 October 2019, 11:24 PM   #27
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

The address is legit and there is a Familia Osuna connected with that address. I would definitely contact local police or local FBI office. This is international wire fraud.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 08:20 AM   #28
Liquid Snake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Oysterquartz
I really hope they catch that scammer and I really hope you get your 10k back. Hopefully Justice will be served.
Liquid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 03:21 PM   #29
rolehex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub993 View Post
Hiring a PI is a expensive option that might not even get me my money back. I've already lost enough money and can't afford to lose more.

I agree that Lopez is just a named they used or stole.

And this is the home address I got for the wire

Maria Osuna
2579 Valley Blvd
Pomona CA
P.I. probably would cost around $50 dollars an hour to knock on their door and ask some questions, put some scare into them with a threat of local police involvement and threaten lawsuits. Probably cost you around $200 dollars max.

You are new here but I have seen this same scenario many, many times on this site and those that push back a little...get results. I truly recommend you search past posts in the Watchout section here and you will see many times, a little bit of pressure yields results.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 11:17 PM   #30
Sub993
"TRF" Member

Just an update...

I opened a fraud case with Wells Fargo directly. If anyone works for Wells Fargo directly and could PM that would be great. Thanks