The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 July 2019, 04:32 PM   #1
dannymanchester
"TRF" Member

Help Needed - Rolex Submariner 6536/1 - Unseen Service Dial?

Hi All

First post - but need your collective experience!

I have just acquired a 1956 (Q2) Submariner 6536/1 with a 155. serial number. I asked a jeweler to open up and everything looks good. However, the service dial (based on SWISS T<25) has 2 strange issues:

1) Its a 200m = 660 ft - rather than the 100m you would expect
2) The SUBMARINER is printed above the depth rating !

I have trawled the internet for similar dials and have come up with one thread from 2013 where a gent in the US inherited his dads 5508 that had the same dial (though 100m). Apart from that there is nothing. I have asked a few people in the UK and they have never seen this and asked a few forums but no response.
I am making an assumption that if you were to fake a 6536/1 dial you would have the common sense to copy all the other dials (ie SUBMARINER below depth)!

I have noticed on the case back that there is a marking to suggest that a service took place in 08/70 - which would tie with the 2013 thread I found who discovered that this was a rare service dial from the late 60s.

Any input into this greatly appreciated. I have plenty more pictures but cant seem to upload due to size/format - happy to send direct.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex-Submariner-6536.jpg (27.8 KB, 251 views)
dannymanchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:16 PM   #2
Mike Wood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Listen & Learn!
It's a repainted dial, and is not a Rolex service replacement, hence the inaccuracies in the text.

MW
Mike Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:04 AM   #3
dannymanchester
"TRF" Member

Mike - thanks for the input.

It seems crazy that someone would take a 6536/1 (all markings are correct in the watch - between lugs, on the caseback, workings etc) and then add a repainted dial with all the wrong details!
In my research I have now found 2 others so far - both vintage subs.

Strange!
Thanks!
Old 19 July 2019, 01:06 AM   #4
Mike Wood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Listen & Learn!
Worn dials were frequently sent away for repainting during servicing by small independent watch repairers who didn't have access to replacement dials from Rolex. There were a number of dial restorers in the UK years ago, including a few in Shude Hill near you, so not uncommon.

I'm more intrigued to see the Jubilee band fitted to your watch.

MW
Mike Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:47 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Refinishing dials was, and still is, very common in the watch industry. Having a vintage watch with a dial that was refinished 40 or 50 years ago when the watch had little value was not uncommon at all

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 02:59 AM   #6
dannymanchester
"TRF" Member

Thanks - appreciate that.

I understand. I suppose I am struggling to fathom why someone who is obviously skilled enough (assumption!) to repaint the dial would repaint it with the Submariner and depths in the wrong order/place!

Also - I have found 2 other examples of this dial (both from same time period on Subs) - both in the US. I know this is strange but that fact that there are other examples suggests either an prolific illiterate dial re-painter or something more to it?

The 1st watch that I found with this was in a thread on reddit from 2013 - the owner suggested that he inherited the watch from his dad and ultimately found out (dont how or if true) that it was a rare Rolex service dial from the late 60s?!
Old 19 July 2019, 03:47 AM   #7
dannymanchester
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info.

I understand your point - I am just trying to fathom how a skilled (assumption) dial-painter could make such a mistake as putting the submariner and depth in the wrong place/order.

I have included some images of other vintage (same time period) subs that have the same dial (though 100m) - one other 5508 wont upload. If my watch was a one-off I would concur - however, the fact there are a few more (look US based) suggests that there maybe more to it - or just a prolific, illiterate dial-painter?!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6538.jpg (70.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 5508 2.jpg (63.3 KB, 146 views)
Old 19 July 2019, 04:09 PM   #8
clem2192
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymanchester View Post

I understand your point - I am just trying to fathom how a skilled (assumption) dial-painter could make such a mistake as putting the submariner and depth in the wrong place/order.
I have no idea but could it be to do with the watchmaker wanting to raise awareness that the dial had had some previous work done? If the watch was re-painted exactly as per the factory then there is a chance that this wouldn't get picked up later in life (a long shot I know as they were obviously not aware that the watches would rise in value so much in the ensuing years).
clem2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:40 PM   #9
dannymanchester
"TRF" Member

So apparently these dials are quite rare - they are known as "Inverted depth" dials - and are all service dials - I have now found 5 examples - most on 5508's.