The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 June 2019, 10:39 AM   #1
Tucker10
"TRF" Member

Water Resistance

Hi all, I have a Breitling Superocean Heritage which is currently 3 years old. It has not been serviced as of yet. I am going on holiday shortly and may want to swim with the watch on. I have heard that over time they can loose there water resistance ? is this the case or do you think it would be fine in the water?
Tucker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

While it’s true you should have them checked/serviced (if necessary) every few years to check the water resistance I can say that I’ve had my Steelfish since 2008, never serviced, and continue to wear it in pools and the ocean without issue.

I’d say theee years old I wouldn’t even worry. Enjoy the trip
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 10:39 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Rolex View Post
While it’s true you should have them checked/serviced (if necessary) every few years to check the water resistance I can say that I’ve had my Steelfish since 2008, never serviced, and continue to wear it in pools and the ocean without issue.

I’d say theee years old I wouldn’t even worry. Enjoy the trip
I am the same way, my Steelfish is also a 2008, has never been serviced and had a pressure test two years ago and it was fine.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 11:04 PM   #4
watchmaker
TechXpert

I’d get it tested by an AD.

The Breitling warranty does not cover water damage if you do not have it tested every two years

‘The present warranty does not cover...water resistance problems and their consequences if the water resistance tests have not been performed every two years’

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/serv...onal-warranty/
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 02:24 AM   #5
figb
"TRF" Member

Mine has not had any issue since I have been using but you should check yours out before taking it for a swim.
figb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:52 AM   #6
Mad Hatter
"TRF" Member

Wouldn't give it second thought unless you know you've been very hard on the watch, in which case I'd get it checked out.
Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 05:55 AM   #7
Tucker10
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your input. Does anyone know how much it costs and how long it takes to have it pressure tested?
Tucker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 09:12 AM   #8
Jbizios
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker10 View Post
Thank you all for your input. Does anyone know how much it costs and how long it takes to have it pressure tested?
My Avenger II is also 3 years old and went through the same thought process as we entered the summer months.

In the end taking it to a local high end jeweler in town and had it pressure tested. Figured if the found any issues (which they didn’t ) I could then send it to an authorized service center to have the seals replaced.

They charged me $35 and took about a week to get back. Small price for peace of mind when swimming this summer!
Jbizios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 11:59 PM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker10 View Post
My watchmaker charges $20 and I watch him do it, took about 5 minutes
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 12:33 AM   #10
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitmer 1 B01
Unless you have disturbed the mechanical joints which comprise the water proofness of the watch, you're worried about a non issue. In fact, having it tested by other than Breitling (or Breitling certified watch service) you run a risk of compromising the joint seal integrity. I would have it pressure tested when you send the watch in, for service only. Otherwise go swimming and enjoy the watch. Note: The water resistance of the SOH is rated for 660 ft = 293.04 lbs / sq. in. If you dive to 20 feet the pressure on your watch will be 8.88 lbs / sq. in.

Regards,

Jim
Nucengineer is offline   Reply With Quote