The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 July 2019, 06:34 AM   #1
1984DateJust16030
"TRF" Member

First purchase - 16030 - all thoughts appreciated

Hello RF!

First time poster. As username suggests I will be taking delivery of a birth year (1984) vintage Datejust 16030 via l’eBay this week. I have 30 days to return so thought I would come here for some added expert advice / due diligence. Price was $3,600 shipped, from eBay seller “eztime watches” (99.5% rating).

This is my first Rolex - I am celebrating some nice things in my life so this is special and want to make sure the watch is up to snuff.

I have tried to do as much homework as possible - and I have a lot of questions and thoughts - but rather than steer anyone, curious to hear all of your thoughts. Primarily on authenticity, but also anything else these that pictures “tell” your keen vintage eyes.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!!! Just gobsmacked by the amount of knowledge on these boards.

Will post pics below soon as I figure out how to. If there are any other helpful facts I can share let me know.

1984DateJust16030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 11:52 AM   #2
1984DateJust16030
"TRF" Member

Photos

Images attached (hope this works) - let me know if anything else is of help here.

Here is description from seller:

ROLEX DATEJUST 16030 QUICKSET SILVER DIAL 1984 HOLES CASE STAINLESS STEEL WATCH
ROLEX DATEJUST 16030 QUICKSET STAINLESS STEEL WATCH

SILVER DIAL / 1984 HOLES CASE / ON OYSTER BRACELET

IN GOOD CONDITION

WORKING FLAWLESSLY

CASE DIAMETER: 36MM

Rolex is in good condition. All functions are working flawlessly and watch is keeping excellent time. Rolex is a quickset. Watch will fit very nicely on up to an 6.75 inch wrist. Watch shows signs of wear. Acrylic crystal is in good condition!!!

Note I've obscured the name on the IBM engraving.

Thanks again! Really appreciate any and all help / input / guidance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16030 - 1.JPG (73.4 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg 16030 - 2.JPG (108.0 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg 16030 - 3.JPG (68.3 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg 16030 - 4.JPG (60.5 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg 16030 - 5.JPG (59.0 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg 16030 - 6.JPG (53.5 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg 16030 - 7.JPG (47.7 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg 16030 - 8 edit.JPG (94.2 KB, 495 views)
Old 15 July 2019, 01:18 PM   #3
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Very nice! Fat case, the minute track is fairly rare but adds nothing to value. Love the engraving. Bracelet is a link short but those are easy to get if you need one.

The 5 marker is interesting, wonder what happened there? It's a nice 16030, if you plan to keep it consider a service if timekeeping deteriorates. Absolutely have it polished at service, it will be stunning!
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 03:41 PM   #4
RobW
"TRF" Member

I own a 16030 and wear it in regular rotation. It's a great watch. I do have one concern, though. The case looks pitted at the top left lug and there is an apparent gouge at the top right that someone tried to buff out. These flaws can be polished out, but the case already looks polished enough. The dial looks original, although Datejusts of this vintage often had dials swapped out. Still, yours appears period correct. I wonder if the Oyster bracelet is original to the watch and originally came with a Jubilee from the AD. But that is not a deal breaker by any means. All in all, I think you paid a bit too much given the condition of the case, but I am happy to see that you joined the 16030 club.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 15 July 2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

lol, never listen to people on the internet who try to make you think you paid too much unless they have an equal or better watch ready to sell you at a significantly better price. They never do. :)

Your case is in excellent condition. How can someone who actually knows tell? The lug holes are like wear indicators. From the factory they are centered from the top, bottom and end. As the lugs become worn the holes become closer to the edge where metal has been taken off the lug through wear or polishing. As you can see, your lugs are still quite well centered.

The depth of the lug holes tells you how much metal has been taken from the sides. A worn case will have the spring bars visible in the hole and the closer the end of the springbar is to the opening the more worn the case is. Some old soldiers actually have the springbar protruding from the hole. As you can see, you have excellent depth on your case.

When some rando trashes your watch on some forum always ask for exact information as to why. if it is not forthcoming ignore it.
Old 15 July 2019, 04:48 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
lol, never listen to people on the internet who try to make you think you paid too much unless they have an equal or better watch ready to sell you at a significantly better price. They never do. :)

Your case is in excellent condition. How can someone who actually knows tell? The lug holes are like wear indicators. From the factory they are centered from the top, bottom and end. As the lugs become worn the holes become closer to the edge where metal has been taken off the lug through wear or polishing. As you can see, your lugs are still quite well centered.

The depth of the lug holes tells you how much metal has been taken from the sides. A worn case will have the spring bars visible in the hole and the closer the end of the springbar is to the opening the more worn the case is. Some old soldiers actually have the springbar protruding from the hole. As you can see, you have excellent depth on your case.

When some rando trashes your watch on some forum always ask for exact information as to why. if it is not forthcoming ignore it.
Well said, but keep an eye on the dial as a couple of markers are showing signs of moisture.
Old 15 July 2019, 11:13 PM   #7
FloridaSam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16013

Congrats. You will love a silver 16030. Goes with everything. I like your Oyster band, I'm thinking of getting one to mix things up and save the Jubilee from everyday wear.
FloridaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 12:35 AM   #8
1984DateJust16030
"TRF" Member

Thanks all! Biggest sigh of relief is no concerns around authenticity so far.

Agree this is pretty “full” pricing - rather pay a bit more to get the one I wanted + good seller rating.

To fully nail down authenticity and how the movement is running, is there someone in Chicago you’d recommend take a look?

Also one thing that is hard to notice from pics, look between 8 and 9 - then you can see the slight discoloration. I am guessing this is from water infiltration but curious if any cause for concern. Personally don’t mind the look (will see how it looks in daylight).
Old 16 July 2019, 12:39 AM   #9
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Well said, but keep an eye on the dial as a couple of markers are showing signs of moisture.
Agree on the concerns related to moisture. Furthermore wonder if the hands are original, given the conditon of the seconds hand. Like the case and a light polish (eg JoolTool ) would really bring it to life
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 06:14 AM   #10
kwcsports
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch, get it serviced and water tested.
kwcsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 06:58 AM   #11
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
Agree on the concerns related to moisture. Furthermore wonder if the hands are original, given the conditon of the seconds hand. Like the case and a light polish (eg JoolTool ) would really bring it to life
I have a 70s Datejust where the seconds hand is the same.
Old 16 July 2019, 07:29 AM   #12
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
I have a 70s Datejust where the seconds hand is the same.
Noted and thanks for sharing that
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 08:00 AM   #13
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I made a very similar choice last year but as you can see, black dial. Hope you enjoy the lighter casework and bracelet compared to the bulkier contemporary DJ. I know I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 05:24 PM   #14
Marsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedie Pro
Nice to see a similar design Datejust dial. A 1985 two tone version purchased 2013.

[IMG][/IMG]
Marsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 07:41 PM   #15
RobW
"TRF" Member

Here's my 16030 with a silver dial from about 1979.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 16 July 2019, 10:01 PM   #16
1984DateJust16030
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for the posts and info

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcsports View Post
Beautiful watch, get it serviced and water tested.
For servicing, how do you go about requesting they clean everything but do not remove any material? I’d like it cleaned and checked and shined up but no buffing
Old 16 July 2019, 11:40 PM   #17
kwcsports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984DateJust16030 View Post
Thanks guys for the posts and info

For servicing, how do you go about requesting they clean everything but do not remove any material? I’d like it cleaned and checked and shined up but no buffing
Simple, just find a watchmaker who knows vintage watches and explain exactly what you want done- have the movement serviced, everything cleaned, light polish. It will look like a million bucks
kwcsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 03:27 AM   #18
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
Personaly, I think it’s a bit overpriced, though not by much – let’s try “walking the dog backwards” here …. (prices used in this post are GBP)

The dial and hands have suffered from moisture over the years, and they’re pretty roached – however, there are plenty of hand sets and dials for the 16030 – maybe if you take your time and look around, probably 200 for a set in excellent original condition, and period correct (not re-finished)

Where there is evidence of moisture damage, you want to get the movement serviced ASAP. There is no way in hell that only the dial and hands suffered. Fortunately, the good thing about Rolex, is that they can be refurbished pretty much infinitely. The 16030 parts market is going strong, so any competent watchmaker will have no problem – 500

The case – “that’ll buff out” as they say – normally done as part of a service, so we can put that down as “gratis”

So – that’s 700 to get that puppy back to pristine condition, if you go with an independent. If you go with RSC (who will be happy to oblige on a 16030), add another 400, as they will use a “brand new” dial and handset, not one from the second hand market – but hey, for that price, you’re basically getting a new watch

Now subtract that 700 from the purchase price, and you get a realistic base price. If you consider that the 16030’s are currently going for around 3250 for an decent condition service unknown one, and perhaps 3500 for a “serviced two years ago and comes with the receipt for that” in decent condition, it should give you a starting point for pricing yours

The only thing that concerns me about that one in particular, is how it got wet in the first place, and that leads us to “seal surfaces”. Yes, they can be resealed, but if the surface of the case the seal fits onto is in rough condition, then no amount of polishing is going to fix that, because if that surface is worn down by being polished, that in turn compromises the effectiveness of the seal

From looking at your pictures, that moisture damage could well have come from the crown being left open, and the watch resting for several years. This circumstance is unlikely to have affected the case condition, so you’ll be fine. Alternatively, it could be a result of a failed seal, (and the watch resting in the same position for a few years), which is much worse as far as the case goes

As (presumably) you now have the watch in your possession, it would be inappropriate for you to open up the back of the watch for inspection, as this would invalidate the return policy. So you now have two choices. Keep the watch, spend 700 on it, and accept that you can’t predict whether or not it’s waterproof (until you get feedback from that servicing) – or return it untouched, and keep looking

The above information is based on my 1988 16030 which I have had since new, the (black) dial is fine, so is the handset, the watch was recently serviced and pronounced in “fine fettle”, including the seals, and I wear it in the water regularly (as I have always done) with no hesitation – I’d put it at 3200 for a quick sale, or 3400 if I didn’t need the money in a hurry

3600USD is 2900GBP – you can do the math from there

In my opinion, you could do better, though as I said, it’s “close” – depends on the condition of the casing seal surfaces ….
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 05:13 AM   #19
yran
Banned

I think a great depends on how comfortable you are with the purchase, if you really like it, you should probably go ahead and make the purchase.
yran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 05:28 AM   #20
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Man, I must be getting grumpy in my old age, but that DJ would be a hard pass for me. That discoloration on the dial and the bad corrosion on the seconds hand would be an immediate deal-breaker. Assuming the issue on the dial is from moisture, what's going on with the movement? Have you seen a photo? If water got on the dial it almost certainly got into the movement.

These DJs are plentiful on the market, especially the silver-dial versions. Why not wait and get a pristine example, or as close as possible for a vintage DJ? They're not rare and great/good examples are not that hard to find.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 05:37 AM   #21
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

This is my mid-70s 1601. Notice the slight corrosion on the seconds hand. It’s being serviced right now and there’s no sign of moisture inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4323A3BA-F5AF-4447-880B-13CAA50F3E36.jpeg (232.3 KB, 348 views)
Old 17 July 2019, 07:06 AM   #22
Adamj79
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
This is my mid-70s 1601. Notice the slight corrosion on the seconds hand. It’s being serviced right now and there’s no sign of moisture inside.
How do you like the leather band?
I’m thinking of have a gator one made by Aaron Bespoke for my newly acquired 1601.
Adamj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 07:30 AM   #23
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamj79 View Post
How do you like the leather band?
I’m thinking of have a gator one made by Aaron Bespoke for my newly acquired 1601.
I haven’t worn it enough yet as I sent it off for service.
Old 17 July 2019, 07:42 AM   #24
1984DateJust16030
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the really detailed, thoughtful and informative responses!

To clarify I’d really only look to return the watch if there was a serious issue - eg related to authenticity or a critical mechanical issue - which seems to not be the case.

Think it’d be poor form for me to return for anything more borderline or if I overpaid a bit (not too concerned on that as I intend to hold this watch til I die...). I love the IBM tag too for personal reasons so there’s a bit of nostalgia value.

All the knowledge is super helpful for how I service and treat the watch going forward and exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate the help. Likely plan from here is getting it serviced at the RSC in Chicago, light polish, and if it doesn’t pass their water test I’ll just keep it out of the pool and shower.

I get back from vacation tomorrow and should have the watch in hand then. Will follow up with some pics of my own :)
Old 17 July 2019, 09:29 AM   #25
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial

@Richard Carver
Hi Richard, yes often times this is true, but not always. Case in point, I have a circa 1984 Ref. 16030 for sale on this forum that I'd venture to say is a much better acquisition than the OP's. Why? It's in better condition and it's a full set. Obviously there are many, many more examples owing to the prodigious amount of fine quality DJs out there. Alas, I'm not suggesting that the OP got burned (it's a serviceable example), I'm merely suggesting that sometimes an investment of a few extra hundred dollars can yield a much savvier purchase.
Old 17 July 2019, 09:49 AM   #26
1984DateJust16030
"TRF" Member

Compelling! Great looking watch onthedial and frankly can’t refute likely better value for price. Good to see there’s competition on the seller side too keeping folks honest. Wishing I’d have posted here first...live and learn.

Going to wait and see how it looks - eBay seller’s return policy is pretty open - just says 30 days return I think, no stipulations etc. IIRC. But again always hate to backtrack on purchase.
Old 17 July 2019, 09:50 AM   #27
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthedial View Post

@Richard Carver
Hi Richard, yes often times this is true, but not always. Case in point, I have a circa 1984 Ref. 16030 for sale on this forum that I'd venture to say is a much better acquisition than the OP's. Why? It's in better condition and it's a full set. Obviously there are many, many more examples owing to the prodigious amount of fine quality DJs out there. Alas, I'm not suggesting that the OP got burned (it's a serviceable example), I'm merely suggesting that sometimes an investment of a few extra hundred dollars can yield a much savvier purchase.
Good to see you! Of course it's possible to overpay. My complaint is with the yahoos who come on a thread and gratuitously trash a watch and the deal just to pretend they have knowledge they don't actually possess. I still feel that if someone wants to talk down the price they'd better have a link to an actual watch that is a better deal otherwise they just look foolish.
Old 17 July 2019, 10:44 AM   #28
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
My complaint is with the yahoos who come on a thread and gratuitously trash a watch and the deal just to pretend they have knowledge they don't actually possess.

@Richard Carver
Oh, I agree 100% Richard. The amount of bad advice and flat-out wrong information being offered is disheartening. I think it's a real danger for the earnestly interested, novice collector.
Be well!
onthedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 03:24 PM   #29
RobW
"TRF" Member

@Richard Carver

Old 17 July 2019, 10:46 PM   #30
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like a nice example to me, good case too!
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote