The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
kmpowell
"TRF" Member

Icon5 GMT Master 116710LN - undated papers

Via a reputable pre-owned dealer I've been offered a boxed unworn late 2007 SS 116710LN for £4k, which I think is a great price given the current market for them.

What concerns me though is the papers are undated. The dealer says he acquired the watch from somebody who used to work at an authorised dealer. The person who sold it to him said he bought it and kept in his collection but never dated the papers. The card does have the original dealers name on it.

The watch really is in mint condition, and the £4k price tag is shouting at me to buy, but for some reason the undated papers are worrying me...

Thoughts on what I should do?
kmpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 08:41 PM   #2
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
It would be out of warranty anyway. If u want papers, send it in for service. The total still equals a great price and u have peace of mind and a warranty. Go for it!!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 08:51 PM   #3
kmpowell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
It would be out of warranty anyway. If u want papers, send it in for service. The total still equals a great price and u have peace of mind and a warranty. Go for it!!
Thanks for that - what further confuses me is the dealer says it's recently been serviced...
Old 13 April 2012, 08:58 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpowell View Post
Via a reputable pre-owned dealer I've been offered a boxed unworn late 2007 SS 116710LN for £4k, which I think is a great price given the current market for them.

What concerns me though is the papers are undated. The dealer says he acquired the watch from somebody who used to work at an authorised dealer. The person who sold it to him said he bought it and kept in his collection but never dated the papers. The card does have the original dealers name on it.

The watch really is in mint condition, and the £4k price tag is shouting at me to buy, but for some reason the undated papers are worrying me...

Thoughts on what I should do?
Rolex so called papers = a warranty paper/card valid for two years much like the same bit of paper you get with a TV.After the warranty its just a bit of paper/card,now if watch has been serviced by the RSC there should be a service paper which is a valid two year warranty dated from time of service.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 09:18 PM   #5
RyanJames
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTiic
It's past it's warranty anyway so don't worry as padi said.

That's a very good price as well so I'd snap it up I paid more for my preowned from 2011.

Ryan
RyanJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 09:44 PM   #6
TimingIsEverything
Banned

The watch cannot be past warranty if the papers are undated. The warranty takes effect two years from the date the papers are dated. It's actually a good thing to have open papers/warranty card, IMHO that drives the price of the watch up
TimingIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 10:13 PM   #7
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimingIsEverything View Post
The watch cannot be past warranty if the papers are undated. The warranty takes effect two years from the date the papers are dated. It's actually a good thing to have open papers/warranty card, IMHO that drives the price of the watch up
Took the words out of my mouth. Your 2 year warranty starts now.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 10:18 PM   #8
up2nogood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexplorerII View Post
Took the words out of my mouth. Your 2 year warranty starts now.
If filled in by an AD. Otherwise she's grey market and you'd have a challenge on your hands in a claim. Still, good price so why not anyway?
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 10:37 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimingIsEverything View Post
Cannot understand why it would drive the price up for any watch. If the watch was sold via a AD then the bar code would have been scanned at point of sale, so Rolex would have a record when sold if grey you will have no Rolex warranty.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 April 2012, 10:42 PM   #10
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
So what's the point in dating the card then?
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 11:02 PM   #11
kmpowell
"TRF" Member

To add more fuel to the fire, the dealer is now saying he will "date" the card Sept 2011.

If I understand correctly what I've read in your responses so far, what he is suggesting is to falsify the warranty card?!?
Old 13 April 2012, 11:13 PM   #12
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
Ask him to date the card then issue you a receipt. That way when the need arises and you are challenged for a claim you have ammo.

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 12:11 AM   #13
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Cannot understand why it would drive the price up for any watch. If the watch was sold via a AD then the bar code would have been scanned at point of sale, so Rolex would have a record when sold if grey you will have no Rolex warranty.
Nailed it
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 12:18 AM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
keep it simple.

buy it, wear it, enjoy it.

when you need service, send it in and get a valid warranty.

simple.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 01:04 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Thanks for that - what further confuses me is the dealer says it's recently been serviced...
Fiddlesticks.. If there isn't paper to show that it was serviced, you must assume that it has not been.. This "pre-owned Dealer" may be less than honest.

No reason in the world to service a watch only a few years old, so why would it have been..

As mentioned "undated" papers are also of no value.. If you take it in for "warranty" work because you wrote in your own date, Rolex would look at their database for this watch and see that it was sold in the marketplace years before your "date"..

Rolex tracks every serial number and the history on every watch.. It's a bit naive to think that you can date your own papers and a large hi-tech company like Rolex will be completely unaware..
Old 14 April 2012, 01:06 AM   #16
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Never, ever take someone word that a watch has been serviced without real proof..............
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 01:09 AM   #17
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
I would jump on it for that price sounds great
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 01:14 AM   #18
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

The price seems good.

The dealer seems a little skittish. Trying to be too helpful and losing your confidence in the process.

Trust your senses.
Welshwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 01:21 AM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexplorerII View Post
So what's the point in dating the card then?
Simply because all ADs are required to do so at point of sale.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 April 2012, 01:50 AM   #20
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Rolex so called papers = a warranty paper/card valid for two years much like the same bit of paper you get with a TV.After the warranty its just a bit of paper/card,now if watch has been serviced by the RSC there should be a service paper which is a valid two year warranty dated from time of service.
X2. Padi you should make a macro for that response.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 02:25 AM   #21
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
To add more fuel to the fire, the dealer is now saying he will "date" the card Sept 2011.

If I understand correctly what I've read in your responses so far, what he is suggesting is to falsify the warranty card?!?
you could ask why that particular date. perhaps this date was when the ad first registered the watch as sold.
Old 15 April 2012, 12:00 AM   #22
kmpowell
"TRF" Member

Ok, given it's Saturday and I could spend some time unrushed, I hopped on the tube and went to chat this through with the dealer. I spent a good 30mins with him and the watch specifics are as follows:

The owner of the dealer is an ex AD empolyee, the person who sold the watch to the dealer still works at the AD and used to work with the him at the AD. That is the connection.

2007 "M' Serial
Original Box
Undated Warranty/Serial Card (card does have the original Dealers Name on it)
Mint 'unworn' condition
NOT serviced

Window price is £4750, but he is willing to do a deal circa £4k providing I don't pay by Credit Card (for obvious reasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Rolex tracks every serial number and the history on every watch.. It's a bit naive to think that you can date your own papers and a large hi-tech company like Rolex will be completely unaware..
Now, this is the only nagging doubt in my mind. I brought this very point up and he disputes it, saying that Rolex do not track every watch and if he dated my warranty card Sept 2011 I wouldn't have any problem with any Warranty claim. He also says that the watch does not need a service and won't do for a long time to come.

So as far as I see it I have 3 options:

1. Buy it and have him date the Warranty Card, and get a dated receipt from him.
2. Buy it and ask him to leave the Warranty Card blank, and get a dated receipt from him.
3. Walk away

What would you do?

:)
Old 15 April 2012, 03:45 AM   #23
kmpowell
"TRF" Member

Nobody?
Old 15 April 2012, 03:55 AM   #24
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
I'd go for it whether he dates the card or not. I still is a nice watch you can enjoy. I'd be willing to bet you'll enjoy the watch much more than the warranty card. I'd you want the watch go for it!!!!

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2012, 04:00 AM   #25
ally
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
It's not a bad price at all for a BNIB 116710 LN

Why not buy it and get the dealer to offer you a years warranty of his own then you're covered worst case. Probally the chances of using the warranty is slim anyway

Where is it coming from if you don't mind me asking?o
16610 LV.
ally is offline   Reply With Quote