The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 26 December 2010, 12:54 AM   #31
venom43
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grail Daytona
Quote:
AS QUOTED BY: JNKAY
Other days I long for a blue dial instead of the platinum on my wrist, or maybe a champagne dial instead of the black dial on my wrist. Maybe I'm in the mood for pcls or a touch of gold. Those days I am thankful to have choices, and there are many of those days. I also get to appreciate a piece that hasn't seen wrist time in months, and then make it my daily wearer for a while...

In my case though, it's not about constantly flipping. It's about having some variety and sticking with what I have, not the flavor of the month. Just another perspective.

I would have to agree completely. It's good to have a variety to choose from.

I just can't see flipping a watch. Knowing I wanted it soooo bad and than taking less than what I paid for it. Especially when it has that sentimental thing going on there, like a gift. Also never understood getting a watch, then selling that watch, and end up buying it again.

I told myself a long time ago, that if i was going to actually start spending the money on these items and start saving for awhile, that I could never sell them. And also I should never regret buying an item that I've thought so hard about and saved for. Each purchase has been a great journey that had a great ending, just to start a great beginning. Another reason I could never think of flipping a watch. And even though they start to add up, like I said before, I love to have the selection and memories of the watch I have on my wrist.

AN EXAMPLE:
I still have my first watch, a casio G-shock DW-5600 screwback from '85-'86, that my dad gave me. Hell it still has the same battery it came with, and works great. I could easily sell it, but there's so much value to me personally that I never could do it. I would rather save and wait till I bought the watch I was looking at.

So to me when I read that Green Arrow traded his long time watch I thought to myself, wow so much history now gone. I do understand his reasons though. And it's sad to see someone leave cause of it. I wish him good luck, and hope he enjoys his 'lucky watch".

Just my
ROLEX:(116200)SS DATEJUST,(216570)SS EXPLORER II "POLAR",*(116518-0073)YG DAYTONA*,(116718)YG GMT MASTER IIc,(16610)SS SUBMARINER 50th LV,(16623)TT YACHT-MASTER ~BREITLING:SUPER OCEAN 44 ~JLC:NAVY SEALs ~OMEGA:PLANET OCEAN "LIQUIDMETAL LE" & (2201.51),SPEEEDMASTER PRO "METEORITE DIAL",SEAMASTER PRO GMT "GREAT WHITE" ~TUDOR:BLACK BAY(R)
Old 26 December 2010, 10:08 AM   #32
timeisfathaoftruth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Daytona,GMT,YM
All I can say, is that when I bought my 1st Rolex I wore it everyday (and loved it) and believed that I would never want to own a 2nd Rolex....then, after enjoying this forum, I bought my second Rolex...Now I enjoy both equally, ...one I wear 5 days a week and the other I wear 2 days per week and I have no desire to flip either of them. All I know is owning 2 Rolex (that you realy like) is more fun than owning one. Whether owning a third Rolex (that I realy like) is more fun than owning 2, remains to be seen. Right now, however, I am fine with two. I think the key is making sure that you only buy what you really really like and what you really can afford; and that you buy smart, of course.
Old 26 December 2010, 05:50 PM   #33
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
Exceptionally thoughtful thread.

I do enjoy a few watches.

Old 26 December 2010, 11:04 PM   #34
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Wow! Great topic. Makes a person think about what they are getting out of their collection.

For me, I was a one Rolex guy. Purchased a 1680 when I was 15 and it went everywhere with me. It holds such a sentimental value. I then began to add watches and now own quite a few. I am not a flipper as I enjoy each one tremendously and do wear each one fairly regularly except the 1680 that I am saving for my 2 year old. I have often wondered whether I should get rid of some of my collection but at the end of the day I can't. I love a variety to change them with different moods, dress, or activities.

I understand that others feel differently, some flip, some are happy with one, a few or many. Whatever their choice is really up to each person. I feel like TRF allows us to see the diversity of each owner, preferences, obsessions, dislikes, cravings and to embrace each others opinions, which are not right or wrong, just what they feel. I feel blessed that I have found many who share my passion and give me a forum to take my mind off some of the daily grind we face. To meet people that would never otherwise have ever met. So in the end, who cares whether a person has none, one, some or many, just enjoy them for what they all about, a true Rolex lover!
Old 26 December 2010, 11:21 PM   #35
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, SkyDweller
Amen to that. I was away from the forums for a few months recently, and I was happier - not thinking of flipping. When I am on here I am never contempt with what I have got - always looking at it thinking of something else. Think I too should get one "good for all" and get rid of the forums on my favourites etc. Not because I don't love it here, but because I will never find happiness however many watches I have

Great post

I think I will sell my date just and be done with it for now
Old 27 December 2010, 12:52 AM   #36
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

So, I also had seen some posts from JJ about thinning the herd. But, I have not seen much from him lately. Anyone hear from him. Is he ok? Did he get rid of the whole herd of Rolex watches and say buh bye to us?

Lee
Old 20 August 2011, 08:27 AM   #37
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

And so, now it is a year later, and......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
JJ started the ball rolling with his post about reducing the number of Rolexes he owns from 4 to 2 which is a number of Rolexes he finds makes him the happiest.

I was disquieted to see people commenting on his "wealth" or possible lack thereof related to how many Rolexes he has. I've never seen such postings on Jaeger LeCoultre, or Patek, or any other brand.

But it got me to thinking. I wore a two tone Rolex GMT Master II as my only watch from the time I was 32 years old in 1982 until 2004 when I traded it in on a watch I've come to know as "Bluesy" around these forums. I made the trade because the tritium had died on my 82 Rolex, and the relume in Superluminova was hopelessly deficient on my GMT.

That started me down the road of buying and selling, most times at a loss, around 40 watches. I stopped counting somewhere along the line.

But JJ's post and many of the replies got me to thinking. Has flipping through 40 plus watches from JLC to Rolex to Seiko, to Panerai, to Girard Perregaux made me any happier about watches than I was when I had the one watch I dove in, swam in, shot guns with, ran in, and used (wrongly I know but who cares?) with suits and even in a tux?

The answer turns out to be "no" for me.

So I decided to think about what I use a watch for. I want good lume, and in Rolex that means the blue lume. I like a touch of yellow gold. In that combination the number of potential watches falls off. I like a Rolex movement because I trust them to last forever. I like to time things, sometimes a run, sometimes how long I've been bar-b-queing, so that makes the choice more of a diver bezel than a GMT Master II C bezel thanks to the difference in the number of detentes on the bezel. I used to spend a lot of time in different time zones, but these days not so much, and there was just a thread on how to do that with a diver bezel.

So you guessed it. Black dialed, Submariner Ceramic Two Tone Rolex.

This purchase coincidentally coincides with a lucky event in my business world that is of some great help to me, so I am going to think of this as my "lucky watch".

Now in order to get used to being a one watch guy (well three if you include my Luminox, my Seiko Quartz Tuna SBBN015- but you get the idea) and to make sure that I'm done flipping and being tempted, I think I have decided that I need to get off of all of the watch forums permanently. I wasn't on any for the 22 years of happiness with my first Rolex, and I don't think I should be for the next 22 years I hope I have with my last Rolex.

It was the JJ thread that got me thinking about this, and all of you who influenced me. Enjoy the hobby, I'm off to go enjoy my Rolex.

Still have exactly the same watches.... no more, no less. This is a record for me. Wearing my TT Sub C right now, and I wear the Higuchi sourced Seiko when I'm out sailing (banging hard against things). I miss JJ being on this forum, and hope that he is in Rolex heaven. Good to see that Tony Geha is still here, and Tools, and some of the "old crowd". Seeing as how my Rolex TT Sub C just celebrated its first Birthday, I thought I'd go through some of the old threads. Very different world now than in 2007 when I joined this forum.
Old 20 August 2011, 10:28 AM   #38
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Thank you for re-opening this thread so us newbies could read. Best to you, Green
Arrow!
Old 20 August 2011, 11:51 AM   #39
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
Was a Teacher to us all!! A True gentleman
Old 15 April 2012, 11:08 AM   #40
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Just a Hello!

So now the Sub C is 1 and 2/3rds years old. Mine is the two tone gold and steel for a bit of dress up without the solid gold bling factor. It has been sailing quite a bit, keeping track of the time while I do yard work, and has seen a career change.
There are now so many small scratches that I have come to consider them "patina". It is still keeping time within a few seconds per day, and is now the second longest time I've just had one watch (well, still have the SBBN 15 Quartz Tuna, but I rarely wear it). For all practical purposes the black ceramic sub is my 24/7 watch.

Great watch! I would recommend one to anyone.

Take care everyone! And fond memories of JJ.
Old 15 April 2012, 04:20 PM   #41
m_allie
Banned

Watch: Deepsea,Patek 5980
JJ was always the man to go to for advise so much depth and knowledge. the forum is not same without him ... I used to love reading his post.
Closed Thread