The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 July 2016, 01:06 PM   #1
bumpssi
"TRF" Member

16800 questions

To start off- Thank you in advance for any help.

So im looking to pickup a 16800, not an expert here. Had a few questions as I'm hoping to get a nice example.

First I have seen 16800 with both matte and gloss dials, is one better than the other? Is matte the only original dial?
I've read a lot and have studied my best to understand matching lume on hands dial etc. I've seen matching lume on both gloss and matte dials so I was confused on which is proper.

What is the correct end link / bracelet number for this reference. I'm partially looking at some from 1982-1983 years.

Would it be ok after I purchase to have the watch pressure tested and then if need be seals replaced. I want a nice example but also something I can wear. Thank you again in advance.
bumpssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Nielsmpe
"TRF" Member

1982/83 should have matte dials. If it's glossy with WG it's a service dial - if the watch is from 1982/83. I think they switched to gloss dials sometime in 1984.
Nielsmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2016, 10:01 AM   #3
DevinH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I prefer a gloss dial with WG. I am partial though since I own and currently wearing a 84/85 16800.
DevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2016, 10:43 AM   #4
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
[QUOTE=bumpssi;6847289]To start off- Thank you in advance for any help.

So im looking to pickup a 16800, not an expert here. Had a few questions as I'm hoping to get a nice example.

First I have seen 16800 with both matte and gloss dials, is one better than the other? Is matte the only original dial?

I don't know if one is better than the other, matte dials are more desirable than gloss dials, but it really comes down to personal preference and price. You will pay more for a matte dial.

I've read a lot and have studied my best to understand matching lume on hands dial etc. I've seen matching lume on both gloss and matte dials so I was confused on which is proper.

Normally the lume will be close or match on both the dial and hands. A significant difference with the lume on the hands not matching the dial might indicate the hands have been changed at some time.

What is the correct end link / bracelet number for this reference. I'm partially looking at some from 1982-1983 years.

The correct bracelet is an Oyster 93150 with 593 end links.

Would it be ok after I purchase to have the watch pressure tested and then if need be seals replaced. I want a nice example but also something I can wear. Thank you again in advance.

Having a watch pressure tested for leaks is always a good idea - especially with a recent purchase.

Below is one of my previously owned Submariner 16800s with a matte dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_5617.smallest.jpg (76.6 KB, 174 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2016, 09:17 PM   #5
bumpssi
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much guys for the responses, I've actually found two one which is original and unpolished to my knowledge and another that has been polished and had hands and bezel insert. I'm going to pick them both up I think and will post pictures when I receive
bumpssi is offline   Reply With Quote