The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 July 2016, 08:27 PM   #31
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I love this post...someone who knows absolutely nothing about watches (read that is not meant as a criticism IN THE LEAST) who gets a BRILLIANT original gilt 5513 as a gift from his father....who gets to go through the entire process of learning all about vintage Rolex and vintage mechanical watches in general. Incredible...I love the "umm no sir I'm currently wearing an Apple watch" :-)

It is so innocent...you can't put a price on this.

So can we ask how old you are and what prompted dad to give you a fantastic watch like this and where did he get it and how long has he owned it etc.?

Here is my dad's watch that he left to me when he passed away.

I restored it myself...and took it on a trip to the place where it was made in 1948!

This is the now more or less abandoned original headquarters of Rolex in Bienne Switzerland. This was the original Aegler S.A. factory where the movements were made in the early part of the 20th century.

R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2016, 11:51 PM   #32
freed0m
"TRF" Member

Thank you jban5. I love Rolex Forums members

Quote:
Originally Posted by jban5 View Post
freed0m, this is easy. Both your Apple watch and the submariner work on energy.

The Apple is electrical from a battery, the Submariner is a coil spring and you are the charger.

In order to charge the spring you use the crown device which is connected to it with gears.

First you need to be made aware of how the crown works. As part of making the watch waterproof Rolex came up with a crown that screwed down and sealed with gaskets. You unscrew the crown counter clockwise a couple of turns and the crown will "pop" up and it is automatically in the wind position. Just turn the crown 20-30 times and you will have enough power transferred to the spring. Now what you can do, without using too much force, is pull the crown out just a tad bit more, hardly a measurable amount, you will feel a slight click. Turn clockwise again and the hands will rotate. When you get to the correct time just push the crown in. Apply downward pressure and turn the crown clockwise and it will screw down and seal again. From this point on as long as you wear the watch your movements will keep the watch wound up.

You might still want to have the watch serviced if it sat up for a lot of years. At least you should be able to tell if something is broken or not.
freed0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 12:30 AM   #33
Dries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
I love this post...someone who knows absolutely nothing about watches (read that is not meant as a criticism IN THE LEAST) who gets a BRILLIANT original gilt 5513 as a gift from his father....who gets to go through the entire process of learning all about vintage Rolex and vintage mechanical watches in general. Incredible...I love the "umm no sir I'm currently wearing an Apple watch" :-)

So can we ask how old you are and what prompted dad to give you a fantastic watch like this and where did he get it and how long has he owned it etc.?

I restored it myself...and took it on a trip to the place where it was made in 1948!

This is the now more or less abandoned original headquarters of Rolex in Bienne Switzerland. This was the original Aegler S.A. factory where the movements were made in the early part of the 20th century.
Looks great
Dries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 12:35 AM   #34
freed0m
"TRF" Member

Hi RWT, I am 51 and in a market for a Rolex (Submariner 116613 or 116613LB). I mentioned my interest to my dad and he basically said "Son, you can have my Rolex, it is as old as you are." He was in the US Army Special Forces (Vietnam War), he got it in the 60s during that era.

Quote:

Old 13 July 2016, 12:43 AM   #35
dominic.warren
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor LHD
I do like threads like this but one question I have. Your dad wore this piece for so many years and gave you one of the most collectible Rolex watches and didn't explain how it worked? Even my father who knows nothing about his 1995 TT Datejust knows how it works. And how to function his watch that he wears everyday. Just wondering sounds a bit crazy to me.
dominic.warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 12:59 AM   #36
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Very nice it is a real keeper congrats
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 01:20 AM   #37
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
Thanks everyone, your valuable insight and recommendation is sincerely appreciated. No RSC it is :) I'll contact the local independent to get it working again.
Well, I wouldn't go for the "local independent" path: I would send the watch to a very well known watchmaker who knows how to deal with very valuable vintage pieces like this one. Names were already written in this thread by other members.

If that watch were mine, I'd have the movement serviced and the crystal polished to remove the scratches. That's all. Keep the watch as far as you can from any polishing wheel. If the bracelet is too worn out, just remove it and wear the watch with a distressed leather strap.

And congratulations, it's a real beauty of a watch.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 01:58 AM   #38
freed0m
"TRF" Member

He hasn't wear this particular watch in a very long time (30+ years). Just been put away as he has other watches that he wear, I am guessing. Yes, he gave this one to me as I mentioned to him that I am looking for a Rolex Submariner :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic.warren View Post
I do like threads like this but one question I have. Your dad wore this piece for so many years and gave you one of the most collectible Rolex watches and didn't explain how it worked? Even my father who knows nothing about his 1995 TT Datejust knows how it works. And how to function his watch that he wears everyday. Just wondering sounds a bit crazy to me.
Old 13 July 2016, 08:22 AM   #39
aaamax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
...And the RSC will not return the very valuable items that they swap off. They put them up their nose when the supervisor is not looking, take them home and sell them on eBay...
Lol. I say that is probably not far off!
-Friends Don't Let Friends RSC-
aaamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 05:51 PM   #40
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi RWT, I am 51 and in a market for a Rolex (Submariner 116613 or 116613LB). I mentioned my interest to my dad and he basically said "Son, you can have my Rolex, it is as old as you are." He was in the US Army Special Forces (Vietnam War), he got it in the 60s during that era.
Interesting it sounded as if you might be quite a bit younger. I do have some friends my age (59) and older who have gone for the Apple Watch but I would think it would be more of a 20-30 somethings fav.

Anyway...as for your quest for a 116613 or 116613LB...I think if you wait a little while...and let it sink in...and of course hang around here a bit more you will realize he gave you the prize already!

Better yet...it was his...and there is nothing like having something of your father's that he has had since new!

You can ALWAYS get a 116613 etc...but finding a treasure like a basically untouched gilt mid 60's 5513, from the original owner...who is your father...few have that golden opportunity!

It's a killer watch.
Old 14 July 2016, 12:06 AM   #41
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
What a beautiful watch and a great story. Some good suggestions given here. That watch is very special and will keep appreciating in value as long as you keep it original.
I love the 116613 but this is much more special, especially since it was a gift from your father. Keep it and add a 116613 to start to very nice Sub collection.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2016, 01:11 AM   #42
freed0m
"TRF" Member

Hi RWT, thank you for the kind words and advice. I've been working in technology (Silicon Valley) most of my career. Just moved to Dallas, TX to be near my parents and help out as much as I can.

Quote:
Interesting it sounded as if you might be quite a bit younger. I do have some friends my age (59) and older who have gone for the Apple Watch but I would think it would be more of a 20-30 somethings fav.

Anyway...as for your quest for a 116613 or 116613LB...I think if you wait a little while...and let it sink in...and of course hang around here a bit more you will realize he gave you the prize already!

Better yet...it was his...and there is nothing like having something of your father's that he has had since new!

You can ALWAYS get a 116613 etc...but finding a treasure like a basically untouched gilt mid 60's 5513, from the original owner...who is your father...few have that golden opportunity!

It's a killer watch.
Old 14 July 2016, 01:12 AM   #43
jnfuga2
"TRF" Member

Very nice watch indeed!

Might be worth it to sit down with your dad and talk some more about watches, if he had that sitting in a drawer, who knows what else he has laying around! Definitely better to do it now while you are able to sit together and get to know the history of the pieces, rather than the alternative of finding them later and not being able to hear it from him.

I don't recall seeing this mentioned, but until you have the watch looked at and pressure tested, I would stay away from submerging it or even showering with it really. Just a nice damp cloth to wipe it down on occasion should do the trick to keep it clean.
jnfuga2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2016, 04:33 AM   #44
dominic.warren
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor LHD
Quote:
He hasn't wear this particular watch in a very long time (30+ years). Just been put away as he has other watches that he wear, I am guessing. Yes, he gave this one to me as I mentioned to him that I am looking for a Rolex Submariner :)
Congrats and wear her in good health.
dominic.warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2016, 05:53 AM   #45
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
What a story.

He needs urgent training on what this watch represents.

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2016, 06:57 AM   #46
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Wow great heirloom. Take good care of it.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2016, 08:41 AM   #47
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
freed0m, did the watch take a wind and time setting? What's the operational status?
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2016, 12:25 PM   #48
freed0m
"TRF" Member

Hi, yes I followed recommendations from forums members to wind and set the time. In the past two days, things seems to be working and time is keeping accurately when compared to my iPhone time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jban5 View Post
freed0m, did the watch take a wind and time setting? What's the operational status?
Old 14 July 2016, 08:12 PM   #49
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Congrats! Lucky you your dad kept it original!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2016, 09:28 PM   #50
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

This is a fantastic story. In terms of monetary value, it is at least five figures. In terms of sentimental value, it is invaluable. I agree with the rest of the wise TRF members - this beautiful gilt 5513 is a true keeper. You can get a 116613 any time, they are plentiful. However, this watch is truly a heirloom worth holding onto with such a great history. Congrats!
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2016, 08:56 AM   #51
freed0m
"TRF" Member

My sincerest thanks and appreciation to all the forums members here for your kindness and guidance on helping me to stay on the right path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
This is a fantastic story. In terms of monetary value, it is at least five figures. In terms of sentimental value, it is invaluable. I agree with the rest of the wise TRF members - this beautiful gilt 5513 is a true keeper. You can get a 116613 any time, they are plentiful. However, this watch is truly a heirloom worth holding onto with such a great history. Congrats!
Old 16 July 2016, 02:42 AM   #52
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Most welcome!

I'm sure in time...this may become your favorite watch!

Fantastic history, legacy...and one family ownership....iconic model, all original....simply unbeatable.
Old 16 July 2016, 03:08 AM   #53
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
hi op. as was mentioned earlier. please keep it dry until you get the chance to have a pressure test done.
Old 16 July 2016, 09:18 AM   #54
freed0m
"TRF" Member

Yes sir, will do. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
hi op. as was mentioned earlier. please keep it dry until you get the chance to have a pressure test done.
Old 16 July 2016, 09:36 AM   #55
Nyquist
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak 15300
What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing and congrats!
Tudor Prince Date + Day
Omega Speedmaster
Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 05:58 AM   #56
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Very nice watch and great story. Some great advice given re service etc. Enjoy!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 06:04 AM   #57
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Great story, wear it well!
Old 19 July 2016, 07:36 AM   #58
acf321
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270 /16610
Welcome Freed0m, great story. I can concur with what all the experts have just said on here. I am very very new to vintage Rolex's too and just bought a really nice 1967 5512 off a forum member here Michael Morgan. What I have learned - in very short order - and want to share with you is that its absolutely critical NOT to take that watch to a Rolex Service Centre... as strange as it may seem!

Like they say, send it to LA Watch works, ABC or another recognized independent expert. The interest and therefore (massive) value of your very watch lies in it's complete authenticity, just as it was the second your Dad took it out of the drawer. Any change AT ALL from that condition, could totally destroy it's value. Just ask the experts like JBan, RWT and others on here if you have any questions and most importantly enjoy that very lovely and hugely desirable vintage Rolex ...
acf321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 07:48 AM   #59
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Awesome watch and even better story. I would take everyone's advice and still have it serviced by a reputable independent. Have whoever does it throw in an appraisal as well (for insurance purposes).
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 08:34 AM   #60
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Very Old Submariner

Too often these great items get handed down only after a loved one has passed. Great that he has shared it with you now.

There are great watchmaker's who specialize in restoring vintage movements without compromising originality of the dial, crystal, bracelet, etc.

Take your time choosing a watchmaker on this one - you'll want to have it working - but not at the expense of losing most of its value.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote