The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 June 2016, 05:58 PM   #1
RyanJames
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTiic
GMTiiC Bezel loosening from case

Hi all,

Good to see the forum still active and thriving :)

I thought I'd ask for some advice from you chaps regarding an issue I've just noticed with the bezel on my ceramic GMT. The watch is coming up to 4 years old and I wasn't planning on servicing until next year as it's working great still.

However it seems to have developed a problem with the bezel working itslf slightly loose from case and its developed some play when being held either side you can rock it slightly making a slight noise as it hits the crystal.

I can also lift it somewhat from the case, whereas in the past I'm certain it was very flush.

Pic's attached, showing the difference between resting postion and when I apply pressure. Any input would be great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0370.jpg (60.7 KB, 1076 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0368.jpg (59.3 KB, 1085 views)
RyanJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2016, 06:03 PM   #2
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
I know a certain amount of spring/play is a trait with the ceramic bezels due to how they are mounted but never heard of being able to make them catch on the crystal.

Pop into a RSC for a proper check or go compare to a new 116710 at a local AD
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2016, 06:04 PM   #3
FXR
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
I own a 116710 from 2014. It's exactly the same. No worries.
FXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2016, 06:08 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
All the rotatable ceramic bezels sit on 3 spring-loaded ball-bearings plus a spring-loaded click stop so there will be some up and down movement all normal.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2016, 06:16 PM   #5
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All the rotatable ceramic bezels sit on 3 spring-loaded ball-bearings plus a spring-loaded click stop so there will be some up and down movement all normal.

Had the same concerns and this is exactly what RSC explained to me when I showed them mine. Some degree of "play" is perfectly normal. It did take me about 6 months before I noticed and I was almost certain that there was something wrong.
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2016, 06:29 PM   #6
RyanJames
"TRF" Member

Just to clarify when I take hold of the bezel at for example the 12 and 6 position and move my grip up and down it also has some play in this manor and makes a clearly audible noise is it makes contact with I presume the crystal. Also when I hold the watch and give it a light shake I can hear the bezel making contact with something as it moves. When holding the bezel still and shaking the noise is gone.

So up and down movement is normal due to spring loading. Presumably the side to side movement of the bezel around the crystal is also normal? I'm fairly sure it never made such contact noise in the past.

Appreciate the responses so far.
Old 5 June 2016, 06:39 PM   #7
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
On the GMT IIC bezel, there is a circular spring and no click-stop
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2016, 06:43 PM   #8
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJames View Post
Just to clarify when I take hold of the bezel at for example the 12 and 6 position and move my grip up and down it also has some play in this manor and makes a clearly audible noise is it makes contact with I presume the crystal. Also when I hold the watch and give it a light shake I can hear the bezel making contact with something as it moves. When holding the bezel still and shaking the noise is gone.

So up and down movement is normal due to spring loading. Presumably the side to side movement of the bezel around the crystal is also normal? I'm fairly sure it never made such contact noise in the past.

Appreciate the responses so far.
Imo, the springs from the bearings should push the bezel up strong enough so that it does not move up and down when you are giving it a shake.

Has someone previously removed the bezel and reinstalled it without the spring-loaded ball bearings?
Old 5 June 2016, 06:44 PM   #9
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

OP,
Mine has the lateral movement and noise exactly as you describe.
There's also some noise when I shake the watch but can't quite tell whether it's the bezel or the bracelet.
Old 5 June 2016, 06:49 PM   #10
RyanJames
"TRF" Member

In case my second explanation of the other movement is a bit trickier to decipher. Here's another pic showing the area between the bezel and crystal where there is also some movement an play that makes an audible noise when shaken or the bezel moved side to side, up and down etc. I would add it's a very small amount of movement and doesn't feel like the bezel will come off but I'm pretty sure it wasn't always this way and didn't always move.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0372.jpg (60.6 KB, 1000 views)
Old 5 June 2016, 06:52 PM   #11
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

The slight circular movement is normal for the C bezels but they should not make noises when you shake them.
Old 5 June 2016, 06:57 PM   #12
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

This movement is exactly what I have, too.
RSC said it's normal. To be very honest, I also was pretty sure it shouldn't be that way. However It's now been more than a year and despite the heavy use, it hasn't come any looser than that.
Old 5 June 2016, 07:26 PM   #13
nch209
"TRF" Member

Mine is nice and tight. Perhaps just swap that bearing and see if it tightens up? I bet it will...
Old 5 June 2016, 11:23 PM   #14
Suboc
"TRF" Member

Any movement of the bezel should have a bit of tension from the springs. If it has an audible rattle I'd take it it and have it looked at.
Suboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2016, 12:20 AM   #15
RyanJames
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm fairly confident it wasn't always this way although I'm somewhat bemused as to what could have caused it unless some of the innards of the bezel mechanism have worn loose. It still rotates smoothly and holds its position but has this fraction of a mm play that I'm not too happy about.
Old 6 June 2016, 12:26 AM   #16
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
A little play is ok. But the noise, not so normal.
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2016, 04:57 AM   #17
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

You did not reply to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
Has someone previously removed the bezel and reinstalled it without the spring-loaded ball bearings?
Old 6 June 2016, 05:31 AM   #18
RyanJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
You did not reply to this:
Sorry I appear to have missed that reply. To my knowledge the only time the bezel was/may have been removed was when I had the watch serviced in June 2012 as I'd acquired it pre owned and I sent it in for a service and piece of mind to RSC Kent.
Old 6 June 2016, 08:18 AM   #19
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJames View Post

Sounds like there is too much play in it if merely moving the watch is causing it to rock or slide, or is scraping against the crystal if you rock/slide it. Cheaper to have the underlying spring etc looked at now than lose the bezel completely and have to buy a new one.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2016, 05:35 PM   #20
RyanJames
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses so far. I've decided to get the watch looked at but I'm having great difficulty finding a Rolex accredited watchmaker in the North West of England that is willing to work on a ceramic bezel due to fear of cracking the insert.

I'm considering RSC Kent but I'm sure they will just force me into a full service. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 7 June 2016, 12:32 AM   #21
RyanJames
"TRF" Member

Just an update on this. I went to Mappin and Webb (Local AD) today on my lunchtime and compared my watch to an off the shelf GMT. The brand new watch had some play albeit very little. The in house watchmaker took my watch and offered to change the nylon ring free of charge to see if that was causing the looseness. This had no effect and the watch was returned as I brought it in. The watchmaker was at a loss as to what may be causing this other than the fact the watch is 4 years old?? he assured me it's not likely to come off but I'm somewhat at a loss as to what to do now. Rolex confirmed over the phone they won't do a one off piece of work so I'm now forced with paying in excess of £500 to potentially have my watch remedied and fully serviced when it's not needed. Very unhappy to say the least.

I was also told today that the GMT isn't spring loaded and only the Submariner has springs. Very confused.
Old 9 June 2016, 07:32 AM   #22
RyanJames
"TRF" Member

After discussing minute_man in more detail and him kindly sending me a video clip with exactly the same issue I'm having. Here's a clip of the movement in experiencing. FYI it appears I'm pushing down on the bezel but I'm actually sliding it to and from the crystal bilaterally. This isn't present on the brand new GMT I handled in store the other day.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i37a8bilriiy6ai/IMG_0423.MOV

This bezel movement occurs also when shaking the watch and makes a clink clink noise as it makes contact.
Old 10 June 2016, 09:14 PM   #23
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Perhaps some more knowledgeable members can chime in as to which part secures a snug fit of the bezel or better, which one could be the culprit. I understand (from a diagram kindly shared on a related thread) there's some plastic ring involved in the assembly.
Fwiw though, tolerance has remained the same (not worsening) in almost 2 year of ownership.
Old 10 June 2016, 10:26 PM   #24
RyanJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
Perhaps some more knowledgeable members can chime in as to which part secures a snug fit of the bezel or better, which one could be the culprit. I understand (from a diagram kindly shared on a related thread) there's some plastic ring involved in the assembly.
Fwiw though, tolerance has remained the same (not worsening) in almost 2 year of ownership.
Agreed, would be interesting to gather some more input!
Old 9 September 2016, 10:15 AM   #25
traf
"TRF" Member

Watch: me ride bikes
My blnr does the same thing as of last week... Only 1 year old. Did anything become of this @ryanjames and @minute_man?

Sent from my  iPhone 7 using Tapatalk
traf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:21 AM   #26
Longhorn02
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Just noticed this play in my LN yesterday and found this thread while searching for answers. I've had my LN for 1.5 years and never noticed it until now. I guess it is pretty normal, but I certainly thought there might be something wrong as soon as I discovered the bezel play!
Longhorn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 08:33 AM   #27
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Pretty sure it’s normal. My LN does the same and it’s a couple years old now, but it’s no different from when I bought it new.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 08:40 AM   #28
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
EDIT: just saw this is a old thread revival. I'm out.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 03:18 AM   #29
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Reviving an old thread.

My two and a half year old BLNR ( bought new ) has just started with the movement that the OP had with side to side and up and down.
The bezel has never been off and seems very strange that it should go like this all of a sudden.

Although it seems to be normal, it certainly feels like something is a miss.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 04:30 AM   #30
islandtime
"TRF" Member

There's a Hyrtel ring that I guess acts as a bearing surface for the bezel. Since it is some sort of plastic or something it would seem normal that it would have some wear over time. I think only the RSC can fix this for you.
islandtime is offline   Reply With Quote