The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 November 2017, 03:00 AM   #1
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Overseas - first time buyer

Hi,

I have been looking for a very nice stainless steel watch to rotate alongside my Royal Oak as a daily wearer.

I have tried all rolex, not quite fine enough finish that I’m looking for, nautilus the design just doesn’t quite do it for me, Audemars Piguet - well I have already bought the Royal Oak and it’s perfect, now just need something else like it.

So that saw me start looking at the Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph. I really would like a black dial most, so that means I’ve been looking st the previous model - reference 49150/b01a-9097.

How does that compare to the new model? Is it a bad idea to go for the previous model - price difference is not a concern. How good is the finishing on these watches? I am far away from any used or new dealers so need some help from TRF on this one!

I look forward to some feedback from you all, and please share all your photos!

RJ
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:18 AM   #2
PJ S
Banned

Nothing wrong whatsoever with considering the 49150, especially pre-owned.
There’s also a nice sporty LE with silver dial and red chrono hands to consider too – personally I prefer the grey with satin finished titanium bezel.
You should also look at the Girard-Perregaux Laureatos, but if a chronograph was something that you absolutely had to have, then the Chrono Hawks, including ceramic ones, are definitely worth contemplating – as too would the Parmigiani Fleurier Pershing 002 or Tonda Metrographe.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:58 AM   #3
justdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Nothing wrong whatsoever with considering the 49150, especially pre-owned.
There’s also a nice sporty LE with silver dial and red chrono hands to consider too – personally I prefer the grey with satin finished titanium bezel.
You should also look at the Girard-Perregaux Laureatos, but if a chronograph was something that you absolutely had to have, then the Chrono Hawks, including ceramic ones, are definitely worth contemplating – as too would the Parmigiani Fleurier Pershing 002 or Tonda Metrographe.
Thanks for the suggestions PJ, I will take some time to look through them.

I like the grey model, and it is available from WatchFinder who are my preferred used dealer, but a must have for me is a metal bracelet, and from what I can see that watch is strap only.

Chronograph complication is not a must have, I only require a date, everything else is negotiable.
Old 15 November 2017, 04:51 AM   #4
PJ S
Banned

You can buy the bracelet separately, but look at who has one already fitted, which will take some sting out of the ~£2K cost.

In that case, the Laureato may fit the bill too, as will the 47040 VCOs.
Old 15 November 2017, 05:31 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I really, really like the new model. For me though the price is what is keeping me from it as i do think its high for what it is.

Price not factored in i would get the new one vs the old one every time. I like how it looks better and the strap change system I would use a lot as its so easy to switch from strap to bracelet.

The finishing on both is outstanding and both are great watches. Ive tried them on many times but don't own one.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 09:52 AM   #6
justdate
"TRF" Member

Well had a look through lots of the watches, all the watches mentioned in this thread and the VC Overseas remains my preferred option. However I do think I am leaning towards buying a new model - (1) I really love to have the clear case back to admire the movement (2) on these watches with the wonderful finishes, it is always nice to have a new one rather than a used / polished one (3) For the optionality of quick change straps, that seems a nice bonus.

As such I may look at the date only Overseas, the 4500V with blue dial. I am not quite sure what the UK RRP is, but it seems to be around £18,000 which is relatively high given the £15,000 Royal Oak.

From what I can tell in the UK the only ADs would be in London, I can take a day trip there at some point, but does anyone know if the ADs in London will discount this model at all?
Old 16 November 2017, 12:59 AM   #7
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
A few days ago I read about that watch, looked it up for you:

https://uhrforum.de/vacheron-constan...n-muss-t318036

Lots of great pictures, if you scroll down he even shows the watch on bracelet and both straps.
He got it in South-Tirol (Italy) and if I understand his extremely long post correct he got it with a decent discount.
Old 16 November 2017, 03:53 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
Well had a look through lots of the watches, all the watches mentioned in this thread and the VC Overseas remains my preferred option. However I do think I am leaning towards buying a new model - (1) I really love to have the clear case back to admire the movement (2) on these watches with the wonderful finishes, it is always nice to have a new one rather than a used / polished one (3) For the optionality of quick change straps, that seems a nice bonus.

As such I may look at the date only Overseas, the 4500V with blue dial. I am not quite sure what the UK RRP is, but it seems to be around £18,000 which is relatively high given the £15,000 Royal Oak.

From what I can tell in the UK the only ADs would be in London, I can take a day trip there at some point, but does anyone know if the ADs in London will discount this model at all?
No they probably won't, I had a wonderful time in VC Bond St chewing the fat with the dashing salesman, and I enjoyed the blue dial very much and the nifty strap change, but when it came to price, just radio silence and no email replies either.

I prefer the 2nd gen too as it has the guilloche black dial which I associate with VCO, and the bracelet has a more defined 3d MC Motif. Plus prices are much better, finding it is the tricky part.

Hopefully Improviz will post his or PM him, he has the watch you are looking for.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 05:19 AM   #9
justdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
No they probably won't, I had a wonderful time in VC Bond St chewing the fat with the dashing salesman, and I enjoyed the blue dial very much and the nifty strap change, but when it came to price, just radio silence and no email replies either.

I prefer the 2nd gen too as it has the guilloche black dial which I associate with VCO, and the bracelet has a more defined 3d MC Motif. Plus prices are much better, finding it is the tricky part.

Hopefully Improviz will post his or PM him, he has the watch you are looking for.
Thanks for the info, that’s helpful
Old 16 November 2017, 05:20 AM   #10
justdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
A few days ago I read about that watch, looked it up for you:

https://uhrforum.de/vacheron-constan...n-muss-t318036

Lots of great pictures, if you scroll down he even shows the watch on bracelet and both straps.
He got it in South-Tirol (Italy) and if I understand his extremely long post correct he got it with a decent discount.
Good thread, thanks for the link!
Old 16 November 2017, 10:24 AM   #11
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
It's a great watch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8815.JPG (290.5 KB, 810 views)
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 05:11 PM   #12
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE
I like the grey model, but a must have for me is a metal bracelet...
.[/QUOTE]

My favorite combination as well but hard to find.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 02:05 AM   #13
bigd5506
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nautilus 5712
VC Overseas is amazing! Sold my ROO to get an Overseas and I am very happy with that decision. Fit and finish is what you expect from a holy trinity brand. I prefer the previous model.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
bigd5506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 04:09 AM   #14
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
I was in the same boat as you, OP: I wanted something on bracelet that kind of split the difference between my AP RO and the more pure-sport watches I own, with the same sort of beautifully detailed finishing and interplay of brushed/polished surfaces of the AP but more suitable for a casual setting. I very quickly zeroed in on the VC OSC. Fit and finish is sublime, very comfortable wear, and is a real stunner.

I purposefully waited until the new version came out and tried it out in person before ultimately purchasing its predecessor. While the new version is a lovely watch and I do like the quick-change strap option, there were a few things I don't like about it and others I like better on the previous-gen:

- The pronounced coke-bottle like taper of the bracelet after it leaves the body; to me, the old one's taper was less abrupt and smoother.

- The washer-like ring that goes between the case and the bezel which was added for this generation; I would prefer to see the intersection of the polished angular bezel and the beautifully-brushed case, no need for an interlocuter here in my view :)

- I like the dial of the previous-gen more; to me it is more unique-looking than the new one and I really like the double-date, also prefer the guilloche finish which provides more complex interplay with lighting.

- I do like the quick strap change of the new version but it wasn't a deal breaker as I normally go with larger diameter watches on straps and it's even faster to switch watches. :)

I would recommend trying both in person and deciding, it's really the best way to go. Others here have reached the opposite conclusion, it really depends upon your taste. Here's a wrist shot of mine:
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 09:20 PM   #15
justdate
"TRF" Member

Thank you all, those photos are very helpful - although they make a strong case for both models so I will definitely have to check in person as soon as I can.
Old 23 November 2017, 12:57 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Deep stream has to come on the MC bracelet if you are going there, like an AP RO it has to be on bracelet, the two best in the business imho. I bought a RG RO on strap and as it was my first PM piece I loved it and never thought then that I'd ever own one, but now I would def get it on bracelet.
Old 23 November 2017, 02:13 AM   #17
improviz
"TRF" Member

I agree with Neil: if you get the Deep Stream I'd recommend a bracelet for it as well, it looks brilliant on a bracelet and I gave this option some serious thought after seeing pics of that model on bracelet.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 23 November 2017, 10:55 AM   #18
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Thank you all, those photos are very helpful - although they make a strong case for both models so I will definitely have to check in person as soon as I can.
Bugger that! Live dangerously and get it bought already.

Old 23 November 2017, 09:00 PM   #19
fmc000
Banned

My contribution, although it's a first series 49140. Really an amazing watch.

fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 08:12 AM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

I was trying on a few VCs today and wasn't quite so taken with the grey so black guilloche for me.
Old 24 November 2017, 09:11 AM   #21
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I had the grey/Anthracite version and bought a bracelet OEM. I liked it but found i was not wearing it often enough to keep it. It is thin and small for a chronograph which was nice. i eventually sold mine. I have been considering the VC overseas world time though. I would like a world time piece because of my traveling and having to schedule calls with folks on different continents... :) I had the 49150 and prefer that over the newer model but both are nice.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 12:43 PM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

I was in a large PP AD today and after a conversation/lecture from me about the lack of any sports models in the building the exasperated sales guy finally said, actually you should really buy an Overseas, better bracelet and watch overall, just hasn't got the name or resale of a Nautilus. Funny, but he kept asking me if I worked for PP, he really thought I was undercover, and I had to show him my gold Rolex to set him at ease and stop feeding me boilerplate spiel
Old 29 November 2017, 10:46 AM   #23
justdate
"TRF" Member

Neil, absolutely, these watches really suit the bracelet so well. And that is a funny story at PP, very good compliment for the Overseas!

watchucallit Thanks for the feedback about the anthracite model, bigd5506 photos make a very strong case! That being said for me, I think I will go for the standard steel version now, improviz's photo has me convinced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Bugger that! Live dangerously and get it bought already.
Ok, Ok! As soon as one of the UK dealers I'm familiar with gets a black dial 49150 in stock I shall place the order.
Old 29 November 2017, 12:17 PM   #24
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
watchucallit Thanks for the feedback about the anthracite model, bigd5506 photos make a very strong case! That being said for me, I think I will go for the standard steel version now, improviz's photo has me convinced.
Just in case there’s the merest hint of confusion, the grey models (47040 and 49150, including the LE with yellow chrono hands) are Stainless Steel (just like all the other variants), apart from the bezel.
It, and it alone, is the only part which is Titanium.
Old 3 July 2019, 03:13 PM   #25
ROA
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
What do you think of the Overseas LE with yellow hands? Looks nice but almost too quirky. Do you think this will retain value vis-a-vis the blue or black guilloche dial?
ROA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 12:41 AM   #26
PJ S
Banned

No Overseas model retains its purchase price, all reduce, more or less, in line with the typical depreciation curve.
Maybe once the last of a particular version has been sold, then prices will firm up or even rise, but only for as long as there are people preferring the 2nd Gen to the current or future ones, and VC supports them for spares.
Old 4 July 2019, 04:33 AM   #27
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN

jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 04:34 AM   #28
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
I was in the same boat as you, OP: I wanted something on bracelet that kind of split the difference between my AP RO and the more pure-sport watches I own, with the same sort of beautifully detailed finishing and interplay of brushed/polished surfaces of the AP but more suitable for a casual setting. I very quickly zeroed in on the VC OSC. Fit and finish is sublime, very comfortable wear, and is a real stunner.

I purposefully waited until the new version came out and tried it out in person before ultimately purchasing its predecessor. While the new version is a lovely watch and I do like the quick-change strap option, there were a few things I don't like about it and others I like better on the previous-gen:

- The pronounced coke-bottle like taper of the bracelet after it leaves the body; to me, the old one's taper was less abrupt and smoother.

- The washer-like ring that goes between the case and the bezel which was added for this generation; I would prefer to see the intersection of the polished angular bezel and the beautifully-brushed case, no need for an interlocuter here in my view :)

- I like the dial of the previous-gen more; to me it is more unique-looking than the new one and I really like the double-date, also prefer the guilloche finish which provides more complex interplay with lighting.

- I do like the quick strap change of the new version but it wasn't a deal breaker as I normally go with larger diameter watches on straps and it's even faster to switch watches. :)

I would recommend trying both in person and deciding, it's really the best way to go. Others here have reached the opposite conclusion, it really depends upon your taste. Here's a wrist shot of mine:
Love the black dial. I have the same watch but white dial above.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 05:25 AM   #29
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Love the black dial. I have the same watch but white dial above.
Looks amazing, great pics! I went through a great deal of trauma choosing between the two dial colors, and quite frankly am confident that I'd have been equally happy with the white dialed beauty, both are stunners!
Old 4 July 2019, 05:37 AM   #30
eamonn345
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 blue dial
Wrist shots below for the VC Chrono second gen and third gen.

I much prefer the 3rd gen for the following reasons:

- easy to change strap system;
- love the panda dial;
- wears larger and has more presence. Perfect complement to my AP15202;
- Fantastic ease in increasing bracelet size. Much better than Rolex glidelock system which requires you to take the watch off;
- Pricing means very few ppl have it. A bonus not to see other ppl wearing the same model or brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eamonn345 is offline   Reply With Quote