The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 December 2017, 02:47 PM   #1
es_webdev
"TRF" Member

Need help identifying vintage model/value?

Hello, I am very new and have little to no knowledge of Rolex watches. I inherited this watch from my grandfather, I believe it to be 1955-1965. I took it to Ben Bridge to get a full service but they turned me down and told me I had to go to a private dealer or possibly Rolex for service. The watch sat in my grandfathers study in Hawaii for 15+ years. It tracks time if I wind the watch daily, it does not keep time if you just wear it like I thought they did? Again I apologize for very beginner questions.

My questions being:

1. What is the model and year? If anyone knows by looking, I realize you can take off the band and get the model number but I am not at a position to do that myself.
2. What would the service fee be generally speaking?
3. If it worth servicing the watch or just buying a new one? I would like to wear the watch but if the service fee is too high it may not be worth it? Any idea what the value may be?
Any help would be most appreciated I'm a total beginner when it comes to Rolex watches. I have seen that most people recommend Bob Ridley in Texas. Thanks so much

Here are the pictures, I apologize for the quality they were taken on my phone, If anyone needs more pictures to help me indemnify I can take some with my DSLR.

es_webdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 07:23 PM   #2
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

I would think close 1000 to service refurbished

I would go independent not Rolex they will want to change too many things and it has history to preserve it was your grandfathers, wear it with pride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 December 2017, 11:33 PM   #3
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Love that tropical dial. Bracelet looks like it has seen better days. Not sure I’d trust it. These can look quite smart on a nice brown leather or crocodile strap. Michael Young in HK for bracelet restoration if that much gold is to your liking. And yes, it should be automatic so something funky’s going on inside (however I’m no expert on this reference).

Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 01:32 AM   #4
Nunez. Jacob
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Love that tropical dial. Bracelet looks like it has seen better days. Not sure I’d trust it. These can look quite smart on a nice brown leather or crocodile strap. Michael Young in HK for bracelet restoration if that much gold is to your liking. And yes, it should be automatic so something funky’s going on inside (however I’m no expert on this reference).

what he said
Nunez. Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 02:20 AM   #5
es_webdev
"TRF" Member

Thanks very much for the replies!
Old 21 December 2017, 03:35 AM   #6
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by es_webdev View Post
If it worth servicing the watch or just buying a new one? I would like to wear the watch but if the service fee is too high it may not be worth it? Any idea what the value may be?
Value is very subjective. You mean how much could you sell it for? How much is wearing your grandfather's vintage watch worth to you? Either way, I don't think spending $1000 on a major service (which it looks like it needs) is a bad investment. You could certainly sell it for more than that.
Old 21 December 2017, 04:05 AM   #7
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Value is very subjective. You mean how much could you sell it for? How much is wearing your grandfather's vintage watch worth to you? Either way, I don't think spending $1000 on a major service (which it looks like it needs) is a bad investment. You could certainly sell it for more than that.
I think so too.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 07:18 AM   #8
es_webdev
"TRF" Member

I didn't plan on selling it more so just holding onto it, perhaps purchasing a newer model to wear. I was curious on the value in relation to its current condition and then it's value at a full service. thanks
Old 23 December 2017, 01:50 AM   #9
es_webdev
"TRF" Member

I have contacted Bob Ridley and will be proceeding with his services, I appreciate all the answers and help.
Old 23 December 2017, 03:08 AM   #10
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
Make sure to post up some "after" pics!! Great looking watch!!
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 04:10 AM   #11
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpefy3 View Post
make sure to post up some "after" pics!! Great looking watch!!
+1
Old 23 December 2017, 04:34 AM   #12
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Cannot wait to see this when BR is done with it. Throw it on leather and store the bracelet is my suggestion. Maybe send to Michael Young in HK just so it is ready to go if the fancy strikes you. Bracelet will not be cheap to restore though.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Vlad
"TRF" Member

maybe everyone is right, but I don't think that this is a 6605. I would lean more towards 6105 due to shape of the case, shape of the case back, bezel, and even the crown looks like a super oyster crown. $1000 is not unreasonable estimate for a COA, but unlike later calibers, there are less and less watchmakers who know how to properly COA a bubble back - Tommy is one of them.

As far as the band, Michael can fix it, but many years ago he used to charge $1,000 for pres bands, not sure what he's charging now.

Is there a date code on the band clasp?
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2017, 03:41 PM   #14
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I would lean more towards 6105 due to shape of the case, shape of the case back, bezel, and even the crown looks like a super oyster crown.
Quick google image search show you’re certainly correct!
Old 27 December 2017, 04:10 AM   #15
es_webdev
"TRF" Member

I will most definitely post after pictures when BR is finished, he stated he does do bracelet repair, I am fond of bracelet on it now and would prefer to keep it on. He stated he does do bracelet repair. I am sending the watch to him tomorrow and will keep everyone updated on his findings. Thanks