The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 December 2017, 09:56 PM   #1
daveycrawford
"TRF" Member

1680 Sub Movement Numbers?

Hi Room.
The 1570 movement in my sub has a series of numbers starting with the letter "D" stamped onto it.
Does anyone know what the significance of these "serial numbers2 that are stamped onto the movements?
I can remove the case back to get the exact number, but from memory it is
D****** (where the asterisks signify a 6 digit number preceded by the letter D)
Any help would be appreciated.
Kind Regards
Davey
daveycrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 12:58 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
It is the serial number for the movement.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 03:54 AM   #3
daveycrawford
"TRF" Member

Hi
Thanks for the reply
Can the serial number signify anything? As in date of manufacture or model belonged to etc.
Just curious to see if it can yield any useful information.
Old 28 December 2017, 04:48 AM   #4
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
The capital D signifies that it is a movement with a date. That is all that I know.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 06:25 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I've read and suspect that a movement serial number can be matched with a case serial number to confirm originality, but only via inside Rolex.

Years ago, I had a mid-'70s 5512 Sub with a partially worn-out case serial number. You couldn't make out several of the numbers because the bracelet end links had worn them away. However, when I had the watch serviced at RSC NY, they were able to provide me with the full correct serial number of the case/watch, which they put on the service paperwork. I remember asking the Rolex service guy how they figured out the case serial number, and all he said was, "We have our ways."
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 06:39 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I've read and suspect that a movement serial number can be matched with a case serial number to confirm originality, but only via inside Rolex.

Years ago, I had a mid-'70s 5512 Sub with a partially worn-out case serial number. You couldn't make out several of the numbers because the bracelet end links had worn them away. However, when I had the watch serviced at RSC NY, they were able to provide me with the full correct serial number of the case/watch, which they put on the service paperwork. I remember asking the Rolex service guy how they figured out the case serial number, and all he said was, "We have our ways."
You are correct. Rolex has a data base for the movements/case numbers.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 06:41 AM   #7
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

My 1968 GMT has a COSC certificate which came with it that has the movement number in the top right hand corner, so my movement is original to my watch. It is also dated, I will try and sort a pic in the next couple of days.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 06:10 PM   #8
daveycrawford
"TRF" Member

Thanks gents
I would be very interested to see if the movement is original to the case.
May make enquiries with Rolex to see if they can do this as a service detail etc.
I now know what the "D" means! :-)
Any UK members in that can recommend a good UK service centre or Rolex watch repair/refurbisher? Could do with getting the movement serviced at the same time.
Thanks guys