The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 January 2018, 02:24 AM   #61
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post

Worrying about taking too much metal off with a Cape Cod cloth is like not painting your room because it makes it slightly smaller to live in.
This is awesome.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 08:10 PM   #62
GSJ
"TRF" Member

Looks fantastic!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
GSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 08:43 PM   #63
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Well done.

Ive fixed up a lot of watches with it and as long as you dont grind away like a maniac you do fine
Old 7 March 2018, 02:21 AM   #64
ALF61
"TRF" Member

LIKE NEW!!! what a nice Bluesy.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 03:19 PM   #65
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
LIKE NEW!!! what a nice Bluesy.
Yeap !!!! Beautiful, nice work ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 05:24 PM   #66
GSJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
I use them on my Milgauss Bezel .. that thing is a scratch magnet ...
Got any pics of it? I want to use It on DJ bezel but only half the bezel needs doing

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
GSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 09:28 AM   #67
gringtito514
"TRF" Member

Watch: None Yet....
Nice work with the Cape Cod cloth!!! Will need to buy some and store away!
gringtito514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 10:40 AM   #68
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
This stuff is awesome! It took out the entire years worth of wear, micro scratches, and general dullness of the gold and stainless in about 1 hour of work including masking the brushed sections. I wasn’t entirely happy with the rush job polish Beckertime did on the watch when I got it. Lots of directional scratches in the polish on the sides of the bracelet links and some on the case. All of those are gone and it looks better than when I got it. I used a dry silver polish cloth on the top of the bezel to polish the gold though to avoid wetting the bezel insert with mineral spirits. Also avoided polishing the brushed sides of the bezel. I re brushed those last year after finding some spots had been hit during the original lazy polish job.

This Cape Cod polish is interesting. It appears to be an abrasive cloth with a mineral spirit base. I don’t think there’s any “compound” left exactly after polish. Just residual petroleum distillates to remove with soap and water after a final polish with their buffing cloth. Really cool and very easy to use! I like it!

Nice work.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 10:46 AM   #69
darkside7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
Quote:
This stuff is awesome! It took out the entire years worth of wear, micro scratches, and general dullness of the gold and stainless in about 1 hour of work including masking the brushed sections. I wasn’t entirely happy with the rush job polish Beckertime did on the watch when I got it. Lots of directional scratches in the polish on the sides of the bracelet links and some on the case. All of those are gone and it looks better than when I got it. I used a dry silver polish cloth on the top of the bezel to polish the gold though to avoid wetting the bezel insert with mineral spirits. Also avoided polishing the brushed sides of the bezel. I re brushed those last year after finding some spots had been hit during the original lazy polish job.

This Cape Cod polish is interesting. It appears to be an abrasive cloth with a mineral spirit base. I don’t think there’s any “compound” left exactly after polish. Just residual petroleum distillates to remove with soap and water after a final polish with their buffing cloth. Really cool and very easy to use! I like it!

I like it
Old 10 July 2018, 10:52 AM   #70
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
@FORMULANSX great job on the polish. #Ballin.

I could never do it, no matter how easy, I am always the guy that it never works out for.
Old 10 July 2018, 11:47 AM   #71
Rolexgal2017
"TRF" Member

You should show the before pictures!
Rolexgal2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 12:10 PM   #72
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
The brushed velvet looks great too. Did you do anything for the brushed velvet links?

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 12:37 PM   #73
jvd99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Looks great

I'd happily do the same and such products are great for this, but be prepared for hoards of posters "berating" you for "ruining" your watch by polishing it and removing too much material, etc, etc ....blah...blah...blah...
Yes, I've heard if you polish a Rolex more than three times it will disappear completely
jvd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 12:51 PM   #74
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Looks great! I don’t have the guts to play with my Rolexes. Will wait till service.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 02:04 PM   #75
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I am glad for all who like to abolish the polish and equally happy for those who want their Rolex pretty.

So no love/hate towards either camp.

But if you wear it, and it suffers the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, you can proudly say...it’s a watch, not costume jewelry!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 02:25 PM   #76
kingSubTT
"TRF" Member

Watch: SmurfDaytonaBLNR
Either use cape cod or get brushed bracelets. Scratched pcls look like crap.
Old 10 July 2018, 03:47 PM   #77
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

Beautiful watch and your results are amazing. I would have believed it if you said it came back from RSC. Thank you for sharing your details. I'm now a believer.

Quote:
Worrying about taking too much metal off with a Cape Cod cloth is like not painting your room because it makes it slightly smaller to live in.

As an obsessed wis this is the best thing I've heard on TRF. It's hilarious but so true. Thank you for putting things in perspective.

We've become so obsessed with not polishing from seeing the horrible results of pawn shops or non professional sellers trying to hide usage or wear on a vintage watch. We've seen rounded lugs/crown guards/cases heavily diminished by heavy hands and scrupulous sellers in the past when the vintage market began taking off.

That type of polishing is not reflected in this thread unless you use a power tool or do this to your watch like it's brushing his teeth, fist thing in the morning and right before bed, it's not a child, it's a mini metal machine.

I do my brushed bracelet and clasp with a scotch guard pad about once a year, feels like looking at a new watch.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 05:17 PM   #78
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Looks great! Gives me comfort as I have been considering picking up a Cape Cod cloth to do some light touch up on a few of my watches. I've never used it before and have always been worried I'd be in the "overkill" department with regards to usage.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 05:31 PM   #79
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Looks terrific.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 07:55 PM   #80
Coffes4closers
"TRF" Member

Do you guys just follow the instructions on the cape cod tin? I never feel like I get good results with the cape cod. Do you primarily polish with the pink cloth or the dry white one? Circular movements? Any insight would be much appreciated!
Coffes4closers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 08:46 PM   #81
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I did it in the early stages of Rolex ownership. Now I don’t bother anymore. All the scratches blend in nicely.
Old 11 July 2018, 01:04 AM   #82
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:

I used to polish my bluesy about once every other month. Just a few minutes (not hours) with the CC, it took me longer to mask off the brushed sections and somehow the watch survived!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 01:12 AM   #83
TRM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
A cape cod will never round the metal or take off too much metal unless you are using a dremel to it or something. Its almost impossible to do with your bare hands.

Using your fingers and cape cod you can get amazing results with ZERO damage to your watch. Its a very simple thing to use.
peterpl, you are absolutely correct. Someone would have to work really hard to take off too much metal or round the edges using a Cape Cod cloth. Light scratches can simply be removed with a light rub and the results are pretty good.
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 01:15 AM   #84
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Good job, looks great
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 02:41 AM   #85
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
That's actually a really clever analogy.
Not really. One is reversible while the other isn't. You can't add material back on your watch but you can sand the walls back down again for repainting.

A better analogy would be not scrubbing ones bathtub because.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 02:55 AM   #86
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:

You did a great job The folks on TRF who are "afraid" to use this great product are the same ones who are "afraid" to wear a Rolex in a shower or swimming pool Not people you would want to be hunkered down in a bunker with!!!!
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 10:10 AM   #87
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
I am somewhat chagrined by everyone who is afraid to touch up a watch. Cape cod cloths work great. I have used them for years on Pateks, AP, Lange, Blancpain, JLC and even...Rolex.

The Rolex finish is really simple and very forgiving. Too much polish will dull the matte but even that can be touched up with a matte refinishing stone or brush.

If you want hard, try touching up an AP royal oak perpetual. That’s really temperamental.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 10:12 AM   #88
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffes4closers View Post
Do you guys just follow the instructions on the cape cod tin? I never feel like I get good results with the cape cod. Do you primarily polish with the pink cloth or the dry white one? Circular movements? Any insight would be much appreciated!

The pink cloth is the polishing cloth and the white is to wipe it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 12:20 PM   #89
Byrdguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C LV,
Nice job, the watch looks great. Gorgeous Blusey.
Byrdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 12:55 PM   #90
hai.tranhr
"TRF" Member

Can you share us how did you work so well with CC as yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hai.tranhr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape cod , polishing