The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 February 2018, 10:25 PM   #1
rafteur
"TRF" Member

5512 & 5513 service dial and hands

Hi all,

Wanting to buy a 5513 (matt dial) or 5512 for my 50th B'day.

I am thinking of finding me a nice specimen with service dial and hands. Pricewise, it would still be "affordable" and would have that look that keeps me coming back to those.

What do you guys think?

Best - rafteur
rafteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 12:09 AM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Well, yes, cheaper, but you might always long for one with an original dial every time you look at the watch. And reselling vintage Subs lacking the best vintage/original part (dial) can be difficult. If it were me, I'd save up and try to find an original.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 12:36 AM   #3
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

^ I agree with Aaron, better to get a watch with the original dial and hands if budget permits. An alternative to getting a 5513 that has had the original matt dial replaced would be to get a later 5513 from 1984 onwards that had a gloss dial fitted when originally manufactured. They are obviously not as sought after as a matt dial 5513 but that is reflected in the price.
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 01:07 AM   #4
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

I think it's a great idea as long as you're sure that's what you want!

I do have a few friends that wear an older 5513 with service dial and hands because they get the best of both worlds that way.
If the intention is to have the older case, plexi, and modern practicality(luminova), as well as no intent to sell but to enjoy the watch for years to come, then definitely go for it!

If you also worry about value and want something "period correct", as well as wanting to enjoy older specs, I would suggest a 14060 with holes in the case. Also a very practical watch. Good luck with the decision / hunt!
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 02:13 AM   #5
rafteur
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your opinions.
I am indeed smitten with the case, plexi, and the overall allure of the watch.
I can't really speak for the future, but I am not looking for an investment piece however, may come a time when I may have to free funds... losing on the resale vs paying for a historically correct which value may increase...

Although I would love a historically correct piece, the price of acquiring one is just too high that I would not be able to enjoy it and it would end in the safe... along with the kermit which I must have worn maybe once in 3 or 4 months.

the prices in Japan for a a 5513 or 5512 with service dials/hands is already 8~11 thousands USD... the prices on a 5513 with the glossy dial is about 2 k more when you can find one which is patinaed...

I almost pulled the trigger on a 14060 at least 5 times, but always felt that something was missing. I owned a 16800 matt dial with patina as a compromise for the 5513 and ended up selling it to fund the kermit because... while close in spirit, it still was not spot on.

Sorry, I am not very good at articulating it, but I feel that unless I get the 5513, I will be moving around pieces. tbh, even the 5512, to me is not a 5513. The only reason I consider the 5512, while a great watch on its own rights, is because I found a fully serviced one for about 10 thousand USD...

This is not easy...
Old 4 February 2018, 03:50 AM   #6
storm66
"TRF" Member

Go for what you can afford at this present time........it’s all very well saying buy this or buy that but if is out of your price range at this current time then get what you can currently afford!
Go for it and enjoy
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 05:19 AM   #7
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds

This is my 5513 dated 1967 with service replacement hands and dial, in my eyes as long as their Rolex service replacements then this is acceptable, also they are getting harder to find and the prices continue to rise...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.jpg (262.1 KB, 348 views)
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 08:42 AM   #8
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafteur View Post
Although I would love a historically correct piece, the price of acquiring one is just too high that I would not be able to enjoy it and it would end in the safe...
^^
This. I’ve never seen the point of owning a watch that you’re too scared to wear
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 08:54 AM   #9
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Thanks guys! I really appreciate your opinions.
I am indeed smitten with the case, plexi, and the overall allure of the watch.
I can't really speak for the future, but I am not looking for an investment piece however, may come a time when I may have to free funds... losing on the resale vs paying for a historically correct which value may increase...

Although I would love a historically correct piece, the price of acquiring one is just too high that I would not be able to enjoy it and it would end in the safe... along with the kermit which I must have worn maybe once in 3 or 4 months.

the prices in Japan for a a 5513 or 5512 with service dials/hands is already 8~11 thousands USD... the prices on a 5513 with the glossy dial is about 2 k more when you can find one which is patinaed...

I almost pulled the trigger on a 14060 at least 5 times, but always felt that something was missing. I owned a 16800 matt dial with patina as a compromise for the 5513 and ended up selling it to fund the kermit because... while close in spirit, it still was not spot on.

Sorry, I am not very good at articulating it, but I feel that unless I get the 5513, I will be moving around pieces. tbh, even the 5512, to me is not a 5513. The only reason I consider the 5512, while a great watch on its own rights, is because I found a fully serviced one for about 10 thousand USD...

This is not easy...
To get started in the 5513 world, there is a mid-level that has not been mentioned, a nice “transitional” 5513 ! A good original watch is still available at a reasonable price, and starting to appreciate in value.

Old 4 February 2018, 10:10 AM   #10
rafteur
"TRF" Member

Thanks all! I truly appreciate all your feedbacks.
@exador: reaching a price point, dinging a 15 K watch is bound to be traumatizing; the fear of dinging it spoils the pleasure of wearing it. At least in my case.
@spoilsofwar: thx for the pic - it does look great!
@dlrides: can you tell me more about the transitional model?
thx!
Old 4 February 2018, 04:22 PM   #11
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
@dlrides: can you tell me more about the transitional model?
thx!

5513’s made from +/- 1984 to +/- 1989.

Gloss dials with hour marker surrounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk