The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 February 2018, 10:42 PM   #1
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
amazon echos

who has one?

just got a spot for my wife. enjoying it thus far.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:47 AM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I gifted one to my God-daughter last Spring add they like it a lot. The Amazon implementation seems to be smoother, and more open to users than the Apple HomePod.

I tried the HomePod on launch day - for exactly one-half day - suffice it to say you made the right choice with Amazon. Even the Google android speaker takes 2nd place in user utility.

I did break a record with the HomePod according to the manager at the Apple Store. I was the first to return one

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:56 AM   #3
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I have one.

Pretty convenient. Use it to:

- Set alarms
- Set reminders
- Weather
- News
- Music
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:16 AM   #4
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I have one.

Pretty convenient. Use it to:

- Set alarms
- Set reminders
- Weather
- News
- Music
Yeah, but how much a month in subscriptions fees does it cost you? If I have Amazon Prime already are the subscription fees already paid for?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:19 AM   #5
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Yeah, but how much a month in subscriptions fees does it cost you? If I have Amazon Prime already are the subscription fees already paid for?
The echo? I have an echo dot connected to a Bluetooth speaker. It was $50 or less. $30 maybe?

The stuff I use mine for doesn't require any extra subscriptions. I guess maybe Amazon music or whatever it's called. Only the stuff you get with prime.

Oh, I use it for my audiobooks as well. Picks up from where I left off on my phone.
Old 18 February 2018, 02:28 AM   #6
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The echo? I have an echo dot connected to a Bluetooth speaker. It was $50 or less. $30 maybe?

The stuff I use mine for doesn't require any extra subscriptions. I guess maybe Amazon music or whatever it's called. Only the stuff you get with prime.

Oh, I use it for my audiobooks as well. Picks up from where I left off on my phone.
For some reason I always thought it might entail some sort of monthly fee. I just checked it out online kinda looks interesting. I just might have to give this some more thought. Also need to figure out how many and what type of devices I would need to access this from more than a few rooms.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 February 2018, 02:33 AM   #7
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
For some reason I always thought it might entail some sort of monthly fee. I just checked it out online kinda looks interesting. I just might have to give this some more thought. Also need to figure out how many and what type of devices I would need to access this from more than a few rooms.
I just checked, the echo dot is 40 and I'm pretty sure it goes on sale for 30.

Which even as a novelty to try out isn't bad at all.

It's just another little gadget but you can get a a lot of functionality out of it. Especially for home automation like lighting, thermostats.

I could live without mine, but it's become one of those little conveniences in day to day life.
Old 18 February 2018, 02:36 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

im not a paranoid person, but voice activated + connected to the internet is something im not ok with.

Anything that is voice activated is always listening as its waiting for a voice prompt. I turn off voice activated Siri on my iPhone too so at least i have to engage it if i want to use it and its not passively listening all the time.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:41 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just checked, the echo dot is 40 and I'm pretty sure it goes on sale for 30.

Which even as a novelty to try out isn't bad at all.

It's just another little gadget but you can get a a lot of functionality out of it. Especially for home automation like lighting, thermostats.

I could live without mine, but it's become one of those little conveniences in day to day life.
Yeah, that’s kind of what I am wondering whether it isn’t just another novelty or not. Sounds like it might be able to do certain things but i’m not convinced it’s going to be something I can’t do without.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 February 2018, 02:53 AM   #10
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Several at home. They love it
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 02:58 AM   #11
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
im not a paranoid person, but voice activated + connected to the internet is something im not ok with.

Anything that is voice activated is always listening as its waiting for a voice prompt. I turn off voice activated Siri on my iPhone too so at least i have to engage it if i want to use it and its not passively listening all the time.
Bingo.

I haven’t seen the use agreement, but there is probably some language that allows them to collect data from you and use it as they wish.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:22 AM   #12
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I have an Echo in the living room, a Tap in the bedroom, and a Dot in the kitchen.

I think they're convenient for setting timers and listening to music while in the shower, but as far as the Internet of Things (lights and stuff), that just hasn't worked out for me, which is not overly important in my small apartment.

As far as asking questions, I do sometimes ask for the time after I get out of the shower, don't have my glasses on, in a hurry, and need the time.

I think that of the ones I have, the Tap is the most useful for me because it's portable. Like I said, I use it to listen to music while in the shower and I can also take it with me wherever I might go where I might need Bluetooth speaker to pair with my phone.

The Spot wouldn't be of much use to me, personally, but I can see that it might be a good option for others.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:40 AM   #13
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

There may be a line somewhere between always listening and engaging that sort of functionality, but it's not well defined.

Most of us carry phones with audio, video, and GPS functionality.

If someone really wants to listen in, they will.

I can understand the logic behind it, as an an individual, there are lot more things to be worried about than the idea of big brother listening in on you. We don't really care, we just think we do.

Like internet based ads. Every damn time I buy something, I get bombarded with ads for it even after I've already bought it! Someone needs to fix that.
Old 18 February 2018, 03:46 AM   #14
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Bingo.

I haven’t seen the use agreement, but there is probably some language that allows them to collect data from you and use it as they wish.
the us govt can see all your base are belong to us.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 18 February 2018, 03:58 AM   #15
Syed117
"TRF" Member

We've surrounded ourselves with microphones and cameras.

The on/off switches are software based.

Used to feel somewhat similar, but not strongly enough that I won't try new technology. My phone which is almost on me has a microphone, my computer has a microphone, and even my TV remote has a mic. My TV doesn't even turn off. Just goes to standby.

Although my computer Webcams do have a piece of black electrical tape on them. They can hear me, but they won't be able to see me!
Old 18 February 2018, 04:04 AM   #16
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
No we can’t-I mean... No they can’t.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 04:09 AM   #17
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Can you rephrase that in English?
Old 18 February 2018, 04:09 AM   #18
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Have two, ones unplugged under a desk and the other is still in the box sitting in the mud room...
Old 18 February 2018, 04:10 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We've surrounded ourselves with microphones and cameras.

The on/off switches are software based.

Used to feel somewhat similar, but not strongly enough that I won't try new technology. My phone which is almost on me has a microphone, my computer has a microphone, and even my TV remote has a mic. My TV doesn't even turn off. Just goes to standby.

Although my computer Webcams do have a piece of black electrical tape on them. They can hear me, but they won't be able to see me!

there is a lot of info on so called smart devices that these home hubs interact with. Smart dishwashers and other appliances as well as a host of other things. The difference between the internet of things devices and a computer is that there are procedures to update and patch security flaws on a computer. With a connected appliance they often use basic security and are very vulnerable and some have no way to update and patch security flaws. If you have a compromised computer you can find out, you wouldn't even know if your refrigerator was compromised. One of the largest botnet attacks recently involved a bunch of compromised smart refrigerators.

Im all for technology but if i had a smart stove a hacker could burn my house down.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 05:34 AM   #20
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I have one. Got it when there were by invitation only. Lol. I’ve used it twice. I’m just not a command guy. I tried it again recently when they were integrated with Sonos and the commands were just too difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 February 2018, 05:37 AM   #21
Toony
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Love the Zero Wing reference.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 05:49 AM   #22
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony View Post
Love the Zero Wing reference.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 20 February 2018, 02:09 AM   #23
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I love my Echo. Yeah, the Gov't might be listening, but it does not really bother me. However, it kinda freaks my wife out so she unplugs it from time to time. Not a huge deal as well only use it for music and timers while in the kitchen and when having people over.

For those of that are conspiracy people - Amazon never turned a profit until the Echo. Many people think they made a deal with Gov't to gain access through the Echo. You can find several articles through a Google search.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...amazon/374632/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/norma...b_4824854.html
Old 20 February 2018, 04:47 AM   #24
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I am a technology Geek, always want to have the latest, but I just can't see me using this. I mean, I walk in to my bedroom and turn on the light. It would take five times as long to say: "Hey Fred, turn on the bedroom light"
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 04:58 AM   #25
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
I love my Echo. Yeah, the Gov't might be listening, but it does not really bother me. However, it kinda freaks my wife out so she unplugs it from time to time. Not a huge deal as well only use it for music and timers while in the kitchen and when having people over.

For those of that are conspiracy people - Amazon never turned a profit until the Echo. Many people think they made a deal with Gov't to gain access through the Echo. You can find several articles through a Google search.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...amazon/374632/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/norma...b_4824854.html
The government has some constraints, whereas companies can do pretty much whatever they want. If they want to sell your life story to criminals who would exploit you, there’s not much you can do about it. If little snot nose Tommy gets bored at work and wants to take your privacy public, not much you can do there either (you can’t unring the bell).

It’s a technology ripe for abuse that is trading on the naivety of users. My $0.02.
Old 21 February 2018, 04:47 AM   #26
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bingo.

Quote:
The government has some constraints, whereas companies can do pretty much whatever they want. If they want to sell your life story to criminals who would exploit you, there’s not much you can do about it. If little snot nose Tommy gets bored at work and wants to take your privacy public, not much you can do there either (you can’t unring the bell).

It’s a technology ripe for abuse that is trading on the naivety of users. My $0.02.

I have a friend that works in govt/military tech sector. He never goes into detail but stresses that Bluetooth is the absolute worst thing out there. People constantly leave the Bluetooth enabled on phones, tablets, cars, computers, etc. He stresses that the right tools/people can access anything almost instantly via an enabled Bluetooth device - regardless of you pairing up to something or not.