The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2018, 10:32 AM   #61
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6988 View Post
Don’t you think asking to choose a Rolex or an Omega on TRF would just give you a bias answer?

Rolex Sub C ND is my vote.
Hi Ian, as they say “ no harm in trying “. But thank you for your subtle vote :)

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 10:36 AM   #62
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbombkid View Post
Would need some additional info

Is this your only watch?

Do you already own a Rolex?

Even without knowing that I would lean Sub.

I have nothing against Omega used to own one, but I still think Rolex has a little better product, better marketing, and definitely holds value better.

Sub is an iconic watch and if it’s only one do it. Now if you have a Rolex maybe I would get the Omega.

My biggest issue is they really don’t have special editions as they keep releasing.

BTW if you go the Omega route I would not buy from an AD at all. You can definitely get at least 20% off from a trusted seller.
Hi hbombkid! In answer to your query:

Is this your only watch? No
Do you already own a Rolex? Yes

I totally agree on your observation of Omega and Sub. It so happened that I was enamored onbtgis Omega Seamaster 300 60th anniversary timepiece. Plus the fact that it is difficult to get a Sub C ND from my AD, I thought this timepiece would add variety to my collection. It also fits nicely on my collection parameter.

Old 18 February 2018, 10:38 AM   #63
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
If you plan on keeping for a long time, then get the Omega. If you’re a flipper get the sub. If you plan on getting both eventually then get the Omega first then sub. The Omega is more of a unique watch while the sub is a regular production watch but the sub’s finishing is much better.
Thanks for your inputs! I intend to keep the Omega in my collection for a long time, as what I would always do with my other timepieces. :)

Old 18 February 2018, 10:39 AM   #64
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I’d go seamaster here. If I read correctly, you have a hulk, so the 60th LE seamaster adds some variety and is a very good looking watch.

I get what people say about omega and their LE’s, but they nailed these 3. They are very nice watches (but I would say that having a railmaster).
Nice to hear your opinion on this!

Old 18 February 2018, 10:41 AM   #65
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one10medic View Post
I had the no date Sub and sold it, now I want it back. It was so simple, classic, and just seem to shine all the time. I miss it, and will end up buying it again. You won't be sorry, buy the Sub.
Agree with you on this! When the Rolex stock situation clears out in the future, a Sub C ND will be in my list. For now I am veering towards this Omega Seamaster 300 60th anniversary. Thanks again for your inputs!

Old 18 February 2018, 10:42 AM   #66
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Wait a couple more days and post this in the omega section, just to get a balanced response.

Oh, btw Sub, all the way :)
I’ll do as suggested. Many thanks!

Old 18 February 2018, 10:45 AM   #67
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Hi folks, once again many thanks for your inputs and hope I was able to give a piece of my mind on this Omega Seamaster 300 60th anniversary timepiece.

Just a few hours ago, I sent an SMS to my AD to say I’ll be getting this timepiece. I shall be collecting this timepiece soon and will post them in this forum.

Again many thanks! The Sub C ND will be next, funds and stock permitting.

Old 18 February 2018, 12:14 PM   #68
Khans14
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. I too bought an Omega three years ago. It was my first mechanical watch. It goes without saying that it was not my last watch buy.....
If it is your first "nice" watch, it will always be sentimental to you. Enjoy it.
Khans14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:47 PM   #69
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
Somehow this Seamaster 300 60th sings to me nicely!
And it's pretty neat to know that the Seamaster 300 Master Co Axial Cal 8400 ( incl the Spectre watch) and Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Cal 8806 although at first glance they look similar to the untrained eyes but I'm referring to the movement inside both watches.The proprietary anti shock system in the upgraded 8806 are far superior and the amagnetic components of the staffs, pivots, plates, spring of the shock absorber etc are all new
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 01:07 PM   #70
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
there is NO Omega that will make me trade for a Rolex. Always hands down winner is the SubC.
but maybe, I can buy a Speedmaster Dark side of the moon, or is it the PINK side of the moon?
No, its the Purple side, or maybe, its the Orange side of the moon..:_)

As nice as Omeg is, the gimmick is really losing its class...for me at least.

jeffgo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 01:11 PM   #71
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdreg View Post
Wow,a limited edition omega, better snap that up quick as I doubt they’ll ever do another one, at least not this week.

Sad but true.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 01:17 PM   #72
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopheran View Post
Omega really dilutes their brand every time they release another “special edition.” That’s of the reasons the only Omega I will ever own is a Speedmaster Pro in Hesalite.
Agreed.
I do wonder what they will do for the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11?
The 40th is very nice
Old 18 February 2018, 01:18 PM   #73
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
The Submariner - hands down. The 114060 is the quintessential modern Sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 01:21 PM   #74
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Each Omega is a limited edition or an anniversary something. This has devaluated the brand imho and put me off.

Submariner by far
Yes, but the Speedy Pro Hesalite is and has always remained and absolute classic.
Old 18 February 2018, 01:32 PM   #75
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgo888 View Post
there is NO Omega that will make me trade for a Rolex. Always hands down winner is the SubC.
but maybe, I can buy a Speedmaster Dark side of the moon, or is it the PINK side of the moon?
No, its the Purple side, or maybe, its the Orange side of the moon..:_)

As nice as Omeg is, the gimmick is really losing its class...for me at least.
Would you say the same with the Snoopy version. I quite like it so for me it’s a hit and miss for Omega.

Old 18 February 2018, 01:33 PM   #76
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Yes, but the Speedy Pro Hesalite is and has always remained and absolute classic.
Hi Dirt! Yes that’s the quintessential Omega similar in nature to the Rolex Sub.

Old 18 February 2018, 01:49 PM   #77
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Dirt! Yes that’s the quintessential Omega similar in nature to the Rolex Sub.
Similar, but not quite the same.
The classic Speedy hasn't changed much internally. With the outside remaining unchanged. It's the very last of the absolute quintessential tool watches. Specially built for a purpose that grew into something sooo much more than anybody on Earth could ever imagine at the time of conception.
By nature it in some ways can't be changed and still remain compliant with it's current certification.

The Sub not quite so.
Old 18 February 2018, 01:49 PM   #78
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
And it's pretty neat to know that the Seamaster 300 Master Co Axial Cal 8400 ( incl the Spectre watch) and Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Cal 8806 although at first glance they look similar to the untrained eyes but I'm referring to the movement inside both watches.The proprietary anti shock system in the upgraded 8806 are far superior and the amagnetic components of the staffs, pivots, plates, spring of the shock absorber etc are all new
Thank you for taking the time to put on the movement comparison for the 2 Seamaster 300 timepieces. Much appreciated!

Old 18 February 2018, 01:50 PM   #79
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans14 View Post
Congratulations. I too bought an Omega three years ago. It was my first mechanical watch. It goes without saying that it was not my last watch buy.....
If it is your first "nice" watch, it will always be sentimental to you. Enjoy it.
Thank you for your greetings!

Old 18 February 2018, 01:51 PM   #80
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
Quote:
Would you say the same with the Snoopy version. I quite like it so for me it’s a hit and miss for Omega.
Snoopy Speedy is another version of Speedy pro...like the Dark Side, grey side. etc. There is evben some anniversary version.
withou the Speedy, Omega is dead in the water.
I do own one Speedy Pro Hesalite, and thats it.
Sold the Seamasters 2 years ago and used the funds to get the Hulk..:)
No regrets at all

jeffgo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 09:47 PM   #81
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgo888 View Post
Snoopy Speedy is another version of Speedy pro...like the Dark Side, grey side. etc. There is evben some anniversary version.
withou the Speedy, Omega is dead in the water.
I do own one Speedy Pro Hesalite, and thats it.
Sold the Seamasters 2 years ago and used the funds to get the Hulk..:)
No regrets at all
Same here - I own a Moonwatch Hesalite version and love it! I used to have a Seamaster 2002 version, sold it in 2012 because of the size at 34mm sword hands. But this Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary will be a keeper for sure.

Old 18 February 2018, 11:07 PM   #82
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Quote:
Agree with you on this! When the Rolex stock situation clears out in the future, a Sub C ND will be in my list. For now I am veering towards this Omega Seamaster 300 60th anniversary. Thanks again for your inputs!
I was very close to buying the 300 Master about a year ago when I was shopping in Ginza, Tokyo (very good prices there, insanely so; wish I’d gotten one), but a few things kept me off the watch and still do (polished center links, 21mm lugs, display back, thickness, and somewhat the vintage lume, though I have a Tudor Ranger that does vintage lume extremely well and I think the SM300 also a better example of vintage lume). Not all of those apply to the 60th.

I know a lot of people here don’t like special editions—apparently limited edition models that create demand because of their scarcity “dilutes” the brand somehow. I guess having a “regular production” model that’s essentially not available for two years except at steep markup is the more desirable course of action for a company—acting as if their stainless steel models were unobtanium. Oh, you wanted to buy a Daytona today? You’re going to need a time machine so you can go back two years and put a deposit down and maybe I’ll be able to sell you one for $18,000.

But the 60th won’t be around forever. I’m surprised they’re not sold out already. If you like it and can get your hands on one, there’s really not much of a reason not to get one. The only thing I can think of is that the 114060 seems to be in a stock shortage right now and there’s fear it may be going out of production come Basel. That might change your outlook.

I think I saw you had a green Submariner already, right? Well, if I were in your shoes, I’d sell the green meanie and get both the 114060 and the 60th! But I don’t really like the color green.
Old 18 February 2018, 11:11 PM   #83
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Many thanks again for your contribution to this thread. I sincerely appreciate the varied thoughts that went along with your choice. Overwhelmingly it is not surprising that the vote actually went for the Sub C ND being in a Rolex forum. And the comments were taken positively by the undersigned. Decisions have been made and pictures to follow. Many thanks again.

Old 18 February 2018, 11:12 PM   #84
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh man, I was a big fan of the older Snoopy (passed one up at around $2500 about 8 years ago, I’ve been kicking myself ever since), but the newer Snoopy is amazing. I am also a big fan of the Speedy Tuesday edition. I love the contrasting subdials.

I have a Speedmaster Professional, with the old inscription, and frankly I think it’s about the best chronograph ever made. I like that special editions allow Omega to experiment with the Speedmaster without changing the classic model and possibly mucking it up. Of course, Rolex uses Tudor for their more adventurous side, for the most part, Air King and Milgauss notwithstanding.
Old 18 February 2018, 11:19 PM   #85
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza_actual View Post
I was very close to buying the 300 Master about a year ago when I was shopping in Ginza, Tokyo (very good prices there, insanely so; wish I’d gotten one), but a few things kept me off the watch and still do (polished center links, 21mm lugs, display back, thickness, and somewhat the vintage lume, though I have a Tudor Ranger that does vintage lume extremely well and I think the SM300 also a better example of vintage lume). Not all of those apply to the 60th.

I know a lot of people here don’t like special editions—apparently limited edition models that create demand because of their scarcity “dilutes” the brand somehow. I guess having a “regular production” model that’s essentially not available for two years except at steep markup is the more desirable course of action for a company—acting as if their stainless steel models were unobtanium. Oh, you wanted to buy a Daytona today? You’re going to need a time machine so you can go back two years and put a deposit down and maybe I’ll be able to sell you one for $18,000.

But the 60th won’t be around forever. I’m surprised they’re not sold out already. If you like it and can get your hands on one, there’s really not much of a reason not to get one. The only thing I can think of is that the 114060 seems to be in a stock shortage right now and there’s fear it may be going out of production come Basel. That might change your outlook.

I think I saw you had a green Submariner already, right? Well, if I were in your shoes, I’d sell the green meanie and get both the 114060 and the 60th! But I don’t really like the color green.
Hi Raza, the AD has put me on the list for a Sub C ND. If it comes then great! If not, I’ll have the Hulk that I can enjoy.

As to the Omega Seamaster 60th anniversary edition, I agree wth you that it will not last forever. I also agree how the community currently “frowns” on SE and LE particularly from the Omega brand with some well thought reasons that were shared. Rightly so, those were good points. And thank you to all. Great forum, great people and great inputs! Much appreciated!

Old 18 February 2018, 11:24 PM   #86
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza_actual View Post
Oh man, I was a big fan of the older Snoopy (passed one up at around $2500 about 8 years ago, I’ve been kicking myself ever since), but the newer Snoopy is amazing. I am also a big fan of the Speedy Tuesday edition. I love the contrasting subdials.

I have a Speedmaster Professional, with the old inscription, and frankly I think it’s about the best chronograph ever made. I like that special editions allow Omega to experiment with the Speedmaster without changing the classic model and possibly mucking it up. Of course, Rolex uses Tudor for their more adventurous side, for the most part, Air King and Milgauss notwithstanding.
Ouch! That Snoopy white and the ST still sting to this date for me! I probably didn’t pay much attention to the LE and SE, but that’s ok. Lesson learned.

Thanks for your additional contribution to this discussion.

Old 18 February 2018, 11:26 PM   #87
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Raza, the AD has put me on the list for a Sub C ND. If it comes then great! If not, I’ll have the Hulk that I can enjoy.

As to the Omega Seamaster 60th anniversary edition, I agree wth you that it will not last forever. I also agree how the community currently “frowns” on SE and LE particularly from the Omega brand with some well thought reasons that were shared. Rightly so, those were good points. And thank you to all. Great forum, great people and great inputs! Much appreciated!
I hope you get it! I’ve had my 114060 for about 8 months now, and it’s been fighting hard with my Speedmaster for top spot on my wrist. The two get just about even wear time. The Submariner is a little less to worry about, I admit—sapphire crystal, modern bracelet (my Speedmaster is on a vintage 1171 bracelet and clasp because I don’t like the 1998 bracelet they ship with), greater water resistance—but I don’t think I could choose between the two.
Old 18 February 2018, 11:27 PM   #88
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I prefer the Submariner ND and would not pay a premium for the Omega.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 11:28 PM   #89
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
there are 5000 speedmaster and seamasters. enough to make them a dime a dozen.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 11:35 PM   #90
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Rolex Sub C ND or Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary

Here are some pics taken earlier at the OB. You can say I’m a bit of a camera shy taking the pics.

The red bag to store the Omega triple box

Omega triple box side view

The red presentation box: Having inherited a vintage Omega Seamaster, I would say the red box pays true homage to the said Seamaster reissue.

Here’s the Omega Seamaster 300 60th anniversary edition

Have a great week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk