The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 19 August 2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

My thanks to JJ and all the forum members

JJ started the ball rolling with his post about reducing the number of Rolexes he owns from 4 to 2 which is a number of Rolexes he finds makes him the happiest.

I was disquieted to see people commenting on his "wealth" or possible lack thereof related to how many Rolexes he has. I've never seen such postings on Jaeger LeCoultre, or Patek, or any other brand.

But it got me to thinking. I wore a two tone Rolex GMT Master II as my only watch from the time I was 32 years old in 1982 until 2004 when I traded it in on a watch I've come to know as "Bluesy" around these forums. I made the trade because the tritium had died on my 82 Rolex, and the relume in Superluminova was hopelessly deficient on my GMT.

That started me down the road of buying and selling, most times at a loss, around 40 watches. I stopped counting somewhere along the line.

But JJ's post and many of the replies got me to thinking. Has flipping through 40 plus watches from JLC to Rolex to Seiko, to Panerai, to Girard Perregaux made me any happier about watches than I was when I had the one watch I dove in, swam in, shot guns with, ran in, and used (wrongly I know but who cares?) with suits and even in a tux?

The answer turns out to be "no" for me.

So I decided to think about what I use a watch for. I want good lume, and in Rolex that means the blue lume. I like a touch of yellow gold. In that combination the number of potential watches falls off. I like a Rolex movement because I trust them to last forever. I like to time things, sometimes a run, sometimes how long I've been bar-b-queing, so that makes the choice more of a diver bezel than a GMT Master II C bezel thanks to the difference in the number of detentes on the bezel. I used to spend a lot of time in different time zones, but these days not so much, and there was just a thread on how to do that with a diver bezel.

So you guessed it. Black dialed, Submariner Ceramic Two Tone Rolex.

This purchase coincidentally coincides with a lucky event in my business world that is of some great help to me, so I am going to think of this as my "lucky watch".

Now in order to get used to being a one watch guy (well three if you include my Luminox, my Seiko Quartz Tuna SBBN015- but you get the idea) and to make sure that I'm done flipping and being tempted, I think I have decided that I need to get off of all of the watch forums permanently. I wasn't on any for the 22 years of happiness with my first Rolex, and I don't think I should be for the next 22 years I hope I have with my last Rolex.

It was the JJ thread that got me thinking about this, and all of you who influenced me. Enjoy the hobby, I'm off to go enjoy my Rolex.
Old 19 August 2010, 07:11 AM   #2
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
I thank JJ for introducing me to sports models and I thank you for your voice of reasoning. Eventhough I still purchased a 116718 your advice drove home the point of ALL GOLD pieces and the perception that others would think of especially in today's economy. Now owning a Masterpiece and an ALL GOLD GMT I am starting to feel like I was not missing out on anything at all... As I stated before, it's 10 Rolex pieces for me then my set would be off to the auction house. Thanks JJ and GreenArrow...
Old 19 August 2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Hey: Buy-Sell -Flip Do whatever you must do , but please enjoy every one along the way. I know I have and still do. I believe JJ's message is watches are not everything! He has spent a lot of time on this forum and has treated everyone with respect, Now having said that I realize he is not going anywhere and weather he has 2 watches or 4 watches or 40 watches he will be bugging us for a long time to come. I for one am looking forward to it
Old 19 August 2010, 10:45 AM   #4
kcmo
"TRF" Member

I am really impressed with this thread and have contemplated the very same thing....as in what makes me happy when it comes to watches. I, too, have experienced many different models over the last few years...made some money along the way and lost some too. For sure, I have definitely had a LOT of fun! But, at the end of the day, I can only wear one at a time....too many can really defeat the purpose of building that 'special' relationship with one of them.

P.S. Enjoy that Sub, Green Arrow!!!
Old 19 August 2010, 10:58 AM   #5
mpkRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO Jubilee
Excellent thread!!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I havent flipped many watches so far but I am only 33 and my watch hobby started in 2007. I wont say I will not flip watches but I can tell one thing for sure that I will never own more than two Rolex at a time. I agree with Karis.. I think that defeats the purpose of making a connection with the watch. Ever since I bought ss gmtiic my ss sub has been sitting collecting dust. My daytona is long gone. May be I have found THE watch for atleast come time to come....

Enjoy your watches..!!
Old 19 August 2010, 11:45 AM   #6
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
This makes a lot of sense to me.

Since I am not a collector, I waited to get the single Rolex that I now wear most of the time.
Old 19 August 2010, 11:58 AM   #7
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Respect your decision. Keep well Green Arrow and know you may come back anytime.
Old 19 August 2010, 12:12 PM   #8
davestan
"TRF" Member

I think owning a Rolex or more than one Rolex will mean different things to different people. There are those who will have one watch and enjoy wearing it in all contexts of their life. That will satisfy them. Then there will be others who who collect timpepieces or see it as a hobby. Others may have more of a view to trading. There are those who take an interest in the Company Rolex, the history and intricates of watchmaking, design, accessories etc.
And then there's the social interaction. With me and many others I'm sure its all of the above.
There are many dimensions to what draws us to this site and our interest in Rolex.
No one member or their style of ownership/interest is any more or less important than any other in this respect.
Old 19 August 2010, 01:09 PM   #9
tulsaokusa

Watch: 2010 SS/Black SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestan View Post
I think owning a Rolex or more than one Rolex will mean different things to different people. There are those who will have one watch and enjoy wearing it in all contexts of their life. That will satisfy them. Then there will be others who who collect timpepieces or see it as a hobby. Others may have more of a view to trading. There are those who take an interest in the Company Rolex, the history and intricates of watchmaking, design, accessories etc.
And then there's the social interaction. With me and many others I'm sure its all of the above.
There are many dimensions to what draws us to this site and our interest in Rolex.
No one member or their style of ownership/interest is any more or less important than any other in this repect.
This post should win the 'post of the month' award!
Old 19 August 2010, 03:09 PM   #10
pradeep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Dates
not sure I agree on that..

There are certainly lots of people who own a rolex because they want to be someone else, or look like someone else, or because it 'buys' them respect. I think this sort of ownership has zero 'value' in comparison to someone who truly appreciates the time piec for what it is.
Old 19 August 2010, 03:19 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
No one member or their style of ownership/interest is any more or less important than any other in this respect.
Well said, buddy.......excellent post!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 19 August 2010, 03:21 PM   #12
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
well said.
Old 19 August 2010, 03:25 PM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

To the OP: Thanks for the acknowledgements!!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 21 August 2010, 12:36 AM   #14
jdH
"TRF" Member

I think JJ owned atleast 30 or more rolex models read it here in TRF. He flips it and gets another one. For example, bluesy sold it got different watch sold it got bluesy again sold it got a different watch. Why do you keep flipping your watch and in the end your going to purchase the same watch all over again. It just makes no sense..
Old 21 August 2010, 02:22 AM   #15
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdH View Post
I think JJ owned atleast 30 or more rolex models read it here in TRF. He flips it and gets another one. For example, bluesy sold it got different watch sold it got bluesy again sold it got a different watch. Why do you keep flipping your watch and in the end your going to purchase the same watch all over again. It just makes no sense..

I've wonderd about that too.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Old 21 August 2010, 05:18 AM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
I've wonderd about that too.
So has my poor wife...............she's eventually given up!!

Old 21 August 2010, 05:27 AM   #17
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdH View Post
Maybe because he's the Master Flipper.......no?

Old 25 December 2010, 08:10 AM   #18
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Happy Holidays One and All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgator View Post
Respect your decision. Keep well Green Arrow and know you may come back anytime.
Just dropping in to wish one and all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Loving the ceramic sub. Already have it pretty scratched up, but it is keeping time almost to the second. Fabulous watch. Have fun, everyone.
Old 25 December 2010, 08:16 AM   #19
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
JJ started the ball rolling with his post about reducing the number of Rolexes he owns from 4 to 2 which is a number of Rolexes he finds makes him the happiest.

I was disquieted to see people commenting on his "wealth" or possible lack thereof related to how many Rolexes he has. I've never seen such postings on Jaeger LeCoultre, or Patek, or any other brand.

But it got me to thinking. I wore a two tone Rolex GMT Master II as my only watch from the time I was 32 years old in 1982 until 2004 when I traded it in on a watch I've come to know as "Bluesy" around these forums. I made the trade because the tritium had died on my 82 Rolex, and the relume in Superluminova was hopelessly deficient on my GMT.

That started me down the road of buying and selling, most times at a loss, around 40 watches. I stopped counting somewhere along the line.

But JJ's post and many of the replies got me to thinking. Has flipping through 40 plus watches from JLC to Rolex to Seiko, to Panerai, to Girard Perregaux made me any happier about watches than I was when I had the one watch I dove in, swam in, shot guns with, ran in, and used (wrongly I know but who cares?) with suits and even in a tux?

The answer turns out to be "no" for me.

So I decided to think about what I use a watch for. I want good lume, and in Rolex that means the blue lume. I like a touch of yellow gold. In that combination the number of potential watches falls off. I like a Rolex movement because I trust them to last forever. I like to time things, sometimes a run, sometimes how long I've been bar-b-queing, so that makes the choice more of a diver bezel than a GMT Master II C bezel thanks to the difference in the number of detentes on the bezel. I used to spend a lot of time in different time zones, but these days not so much, and there was just a thread on how to do that with a diver bezel.

So you guessed it. Black dialed, Submariner Ceramic Two Tone Rolex.

This purchase coincidentally coincides with a lucky event in my business world that is of some great help to me, so I am going to think of this as my "lucky watch".

Now in order to get used to being a one watch guy (well three if you include my Luminox, my Seiko Quartz Tuna SBBN015- but you get the idea) and to make sure that I'm done flipping and being tempted, I think I have decided that I need to get off of all of the watch forums permanently. I wasn't on any for the 22 years of happiness with my first Rolex, and I don't think I should be for the next 22 years I hope I have with my last Rolex.

It was the JJ thread that got me thinking about this, and all of you who influenced me. Enjoy the hobby, I'm off to go enjoy my Rolex.
Nicely put !
Old 25 December 2010, 08:19 AM   #20
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Very interesting.

Old 25 December 2010, 08:38 AM   #21
Tunacan26
Banned

Watch: Hulk, DJ, Bluesy
Let's all say a prayer for JJ.
Old 25 December 2010, 08:43 AM   #22
PeterTB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunacan26 View Post
Let's all say a prayer for JJ.
I second that.
Old 25 December 2010, 08:57 AM   #23
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Old 25 December 2010, 09:05 AM   #24
Sixxgrand1
Banned

Watch: EXP I & II
Have been through five Rolex in the last 20 months. Can not put a finger on it. Love the building a special relationship with one model - however owning each Rolex is like an affair - a change of look and style while maintaining all the wonderful virtues of wearing a Rolex.
Old 25 December 2010, 09:26 AM   #25
rxonmymind
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex woot! woot!
I've wondered why people collect so many watches at onetime. Does each new purchase make you that much more happier than the last? Is it OCD? With art at least it serves the purpose which it was intended. So unless you hang your ten or thirty watches on a wall what's the point? Instead you lock them away. I will stop my collection at two also. To each their own.

Also my compliments to green arrow & davestan for such a well written and thought out post.

Oscar Wilde

Last edited by rxonmymind; 25 December 2010 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: also....
Old 25 December 2010, 09:41 AM   #26
Badfish179
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam24, Seamaster
I don't think wearing a Rolex can "buy" anyone respect. Honestly, nobody gives a rat's rear end what is on your wrist. Most people in the 21st century couldn't care less about wrist watches. Back in the 80's having a Rolex was a big deal. Because of "homage" watches,today almost every watch looks like a Rolex.

My father wore a Timex; however, he encouraged me to have a "good" watch and strongly believed "a man should have a good watch". I honor him by wearing what I consider the best and I'm proud to have three of them in my collection.
Old 25 December 2010, 12:27 PM   #27
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
Some days I wish I was a 1 watch guy so that I would not need to deal with the temptation from the watches in the winder flirting with me to change up even though I'm loving the one that's on my wrist. Maybe it's the way one of the dials in the winder is catching the sunlight coming through the window as I walk by that makes me want to change what's on my wrist, or maybe it's my mood.

Other days I long for a blue dial instead of the platinum on my wrist, or maybe a champagne dial instead of the black dial on my wrist. Maybe I'm in the mood for pcls or a touch of gold. Those days I am thankful to have choices, and there are many of those days. I also get to appreciate a piece that hasn't seen wrist time in months, and then make it my daily wearer for a while...

In my case though, it's not about constantly flipping. It's about having some variety and sticking with what I have, not the flavor of the month. Just another perspective.
Old 25 December 2010, 01:40 PM   #28
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Old 25 December 2010, 01:52 PM   #29
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
I own two Rolex watches and bought my first one three years ago. I have wanted a Rolex watch for over fourty years and now I own and wear my dream watch...a GMT Pepsi. I am a collector at heart and someday will probably own more but for now I'm content, grateful and happy!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Old 25 December 2010, 03:08 PM   #30
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

So many thoughts. So much common ground among watch owners and wearers. I wonder if the Wisdorf family could have ever dreamed of the bond between people, and the bond with people's time pieces that they would ultimately be responsible for.

A wonderful Holiday Season to you all, and may you always have the financial security to wear Rolex, and the joy of life to enjoy the people and places you love.

Best regards

Larry aka Green Arrow.
Closed Thread