The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 April 2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Flying Cat
"TRF" Member

Two Rolex GMT Master II from AD with Dust Specs

During recent business trip to Orlando, FL, I decided to go to AD (Rolex Boutique) at Millenia Mall and get the Rolex GMT Master II. To save state tax, I asked them to ship the watch to my home.

As soon as I received it few days later, I pulled out my loupe to admire the watch and to my surprise I find two big dust specs on the dial! I called the AD, they were extremely nice and asked me to ship back so they could send replacement. After some investigation I decided to use USPS Registered Mail. What a torturous 14 days I had; there is no feedback or update until the watch ireaches its destination!

Few days later I receive replacement watch; which I quickly inspect with a loupe; just to find poor quality printing on the dial and a minute dust spec near the "Swiss Made" text.

After this second bad experience, I decided to take a detour from another business trip, go to Orlando to return the second watch in person. At this time, a month has passed by. The AD was extremelly nice, and did not give me any hassle when I told them I wanted to return the watch and get a credit on my credit card.

A week later I purchase same Rolex GMT Master II from a local AD. This time I brought my loupe to the store.

Here are pictures of the watches I ended up returning to Orlando AD.

Watch # 1: Picture 1: Dust spec between "Superlative" and "Chronometer"
Picture 2: Dust spec between letters "R" and "O"

Watch # 2: Picture 3: Notice variety of thickness of vertical lines in word "OFFICIALLY." Note difference in thickness between first and second "L" or first and second "I". Also, may be hard to see, but there is dust spec on top of "E" in "Swiss Made"

Moral of the story, if you are a bit of a perfectionist or OCD, make sure you bring a loupe with you when you are going to buy your Rolex.

Cheers.
Old 3 April 2014, 12:36 PM   #2
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Where are the pics?
Old 3 April 2014, 12:43 PM   #3
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
It's a watch and not perfect. First issue is looking at a mass produced product under a loupe IMO. I am sorry to hear of your issues however this is something I would never do as I am sure I have the same issues with my pieces... I say wear and enjoy and stop using that darn loupe. Congrats on the new watch and would love to see some pics.
Old 3 April 2014, 12:45 PM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Cat View Post
During recent business trip to Orlando, FL, I decided to go to AD (Rolex Boutique) at Millenia Mall and get the Rolex GMT Master II. To save state tax, I asked them to ship the watch to my home.

As soon as I received it few days later, I pulled out my loupe to admire the watch and to my surprise I find two big dust specs on the dial! I called the AD, they were extremely nice and asked me to ship back so they could send replacement. After some investigation I decided to use USPS Registered Mail. What a torturous 14 days I had; there is no feedback or update until the watch ireaches its destination!

Few days later I receive replacement watch; which I quickly inspect with a loupe; just to find poor quality printing on the dial and a minute dust spec near the "Swiss Made" text.

After this second bad experience, I decided to take a detour from another business trip, go to Orlando to return the second watch in person. At this time, a month has passed by. The AD was extremelly nice, and did not give me any hassle when I told them I wanted to return the watch and get a credit on my credit card.

A week later I purchase same Rolex GMT Master II from a local AD. This time I brought my loupe to the store.

Here are pictures of the watches I ended up returning to Orlando AD.

Watch # 1: Picture 1: Dust spec between "Superlative" and "Chronometer"
Picture 2: Dust spec between letters "R" and "O"

Watch # 2: Picture 3: Notice variety of thickness of vertical lines in word "OFFICIALLY." Note difference in thickness between first and second "L" or first and second "I". Also, may be hard to see, but there is dust spec on top of "E" in "Swiss Made"

Moral of the story, if you are a bit of a perfectionist or OCD, make sure you bring a loupe with you when you are going to buy your Rolex.

Cheers.
I've been told to never take a lupe to my Rolex unless I want to disappoint myself. I have followed this advice.
Old 3 April 2014, 12:45 PM   #5
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats and welcome
Old 3 April 2014, 01:11 PM   #6
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
If your'e OCD on a mass produced watch you ought to check out the side paint spatter on the painted white gold hands of just about any 16570 Polar Explorer II.
Loupe use beware!
Doesn't bother me, still a beautiful watch...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.6 KB, 674 views)
Old 3 April 2014, 01:17 PM   #7
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Congrats and welcome and agree I always inspect the watch with a loupe BEFORE I leave with the watch

I have gone through three changes on a watch also and every time I find any little tiny thing, same experience AD just gets another one
Old 4 April 2014, 04:45 AM   #8
Flying Cat
"TRF" Member

Attaching pictures now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RLX-4.jpg.jpg (75.7 KB, 606 views)
File Type: jpg RLX-2.jpg.jpg (75.7 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4395.jpg (57.5 KB, 601 views)
Old 4 April 2014, 04:53 AM   #9
nickb732
"TRF" Member

Wow, those are huge. Thank God I do not have a loupe..

Nick
Old 4 April 2014, 04:53 AM   #10
Flying Cat
"TRF" Member

What I am surprised is that none of my other, less expensive, watches (Omega, Breitling, Baume Mercier, and Tag) have dust specs.

Anyway, I am very pleased with Rolex GMT #3. It has no dust specs, printing on dial is impeccable, and runs about +2 a day.
Old 4 April 2014, 04:58 AM   #11
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer-PAM233
Are they really under the sapphire??
Old 4 April 2014, 05:00 AM   #12
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Cat View Post
What I am surprised is that none of my other, less expensive, watches (Omega, Breitling, Baume Mercier, and Tag) have dust specs.

Anyway, I am very pleased with Rolex GMT #3. It has no dust specs, printing on dial is impeccable, and runs about +2 a day.
I am sure if the Omega and Breitling users pulled out a Lupe they would find the occasional dust spec also. Interesting to note the font differences between the dials. Especially the GMT- and GMT - spacing mine has the GMT- version with no space. Maybe I can put it up for sale as an 'error dial'
Old 4 April 2014, 05:30 AM   #13
enkrypt
"TRF" Member

I have the same issue on my otherwise perfect Sub 114060. A tiny dust speck, not on the dial, but stuck to the inside of the crystal.
I bought it brand new through a trusted grey market dealer.
Inspected the watch carefully (without a loupe) during the transaction and didn't notice anything.
Two days later when wearing the watch in bright daylight I noticed it. It's been bothering me, but since it's not an AD I cannot simply exchange it. I've contemplated taking it to RSC to have the dust removed, but I'm sure they would scratch something else.
I'll either sell it and take a loss, or keep it and get over it (it's really tiny, only visible by naked eye when you've got good vision and you get up close, similar to Flying Cats pictures here).
I was quite disappointed by it, but at least I've learned from this forum that it happens quite often. I've got a crazy eye for detail and great eyesight, that doesn't help of course.
Old 4 April 2014, 06:02 AM   #14
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Never look at your watch with a loop, divorce (between you and your watch) will happen almost immediately..
Old 4 April 2014, 06:02 AM   #15
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
NY RSC cleaned a couple of dust specs off the dial of my sub no problem (under warranty).

Unfortunately and as already said -- this is not unheard of.

Eric
Old 4 April 2014, 06:16 AM   #16
NoahF
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Sub 116613LB
I had a really annoying dust speck in my Sub at first, the Toronto RSC cleaned it free of charge (I was a walk-in and it was done in less than an hour).
Old 4 April 2014, 06:26 AM   #17
Flying Cat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE 0 SE7EN View Post
Are they really under the sapphire??
Yes, dust specs are on the dial, under sapphire crystal.
Old 4 April 2014, 06:33 AM   #18
Flying Cat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
.... Especially the GMT- and GMT - spacing mine has the GMT- version with no space. Maybe I can put it up for sale as an 'error dial'
Good catch. I had not noticed difference in spacing and length of dash after GMT.
Old 4 April 2014, 06:41 AM   #19
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Wow, you're going to give yourself a heart attack with that loupe.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 4 April 2014, 07:32 AM   #20
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

You did the right thing. Good Luck and enjoy your new watch.
Old 4 April 2014, 07:50 AM   #21
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Never looked at my watches under a loupe and never plan to!

Wear and enjoy nothing in life is perfect.
Old 4 April 2014, 11:04 AM   #22
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
I have some dust. Had removed and just noticed one more. I'll ignore it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
Old 4 April 2014, 12:23 PM   #23
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Never look at your watch with a loop, divorce (between you and your watch) will happen almost immediately..
Old 4 April 2014, 12:51 PM   #24
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I got drunk one night and tried inspecting my watch with a loupe. Didn't find a thing.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 13 February 2018, 10:21 AM   #25
David5807
"TRF" Member

This unfortunately just happened to me with my newly purchased BLNR. After noticing what looked to be a speck of dust beneath the sapphire crystal or a scratch I reached out to the AD that I bought the watch from and informed them of what I saw. The AD had me send them a few pictures which I did and bring the watch in for inspection. They looked at the watch today and informed me that the speck that I saw was actually inside the crystal and then sent it off to Rolex in NYC to be serviced.

I'm both surprised and incredibly disappointed that something like this would happen with a Rolex. These aren't cheap watches...

Does anyone know if something like this happens from time to time or should i be seriously concerned?

Any suggestions etc. would be appreciated.

Old 13 February 2018, 10:24 AM   #26
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Please just start a new thread, otherwise most people will just be answering the OP from 2014. Thanks.
Closed Thread