The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 June 2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
YM...Platinum...or Not ??

There's always some discussion on if parts on the Yachtmaster are Platinum...or just plated. Rolex term for their Stainless Steel and Platinum (bi-metal) watches is Rolesium just as their term for their bi-metal gold and stainless is Rolesor. Here is an excerpt from Rolex:
"Rolesium
Material Features
Many Rolex watches are available with the now-legendary combination of yellow, white or Everose gold and steel known as Rolesor, but Rolesium is a creation specific to the Yacht-Master. While the case and bracelet are in rugged 904L stainless steel, the bezel of the Rolesium versions is made of 950 platinum, imparting a silvery whiteness and vibrant luminosity for an unmistakable sense of luxury."
With Jocke's help....Let's find out:

Photography by Jocke

First, we're going to need some tools.

A knife and some tape should do it: oh.....and a Yachtmaster (I don't have one...let's use Jockes).

Let's tape up the watch case to help prevent scratches and choose a suitable blade for the job:

Carefully working around the perimeter of the case:

Until it pops off. Careful of that click spring....we'll need it after we're done::

Taking a close look at the Bezel, we can see it is in two parts with the insert on the left and the bezel to the right, Rolex informs Jocke that it can only be separated at the RSC during refurbishment, so no insert changes for this baby:

Checking the backside of the bezel we do not find any halmarks, so this piece is unclear; is it platinum, or not ? Rolex says that both pieces are machined from solid platinum...

Let's do a weight check: Hmmm...10 grams

Compared to the Sub bezel at 4 grams....without doing the math and conversion, I would say the YM is heavier Platinum:

Well, we've gone this far...What say we go all the way.....OK !

Let's first pull the wings.....I mean hands of this beauty:

Hmm...No halmarks on the hands either...but, we would expect these to be the same white gold as found in other models:

So, let's pull off the dial too.
This thing looks as good naked as it does fully dressed:

The backside of our dial says Rolex 2, and is stamped with the Platinum halmark PT950:

So we have some facts and some clues..

It's safe to say that the bezel weighs 3 times that of the Sub, so is likely Platinum, and the halmark on the backside of the dial doesn't leave any room for argument....Solid Platinum..

Last edited by Tools; 1 September 2014 at 01:10 AM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2014, 01:14 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Moved from the Amateur Watchmakers Corner to it's own Thread..
Old 1 September 2014, 03:34 AM   #3
Ector495
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing and passing along the information. It makes me appreciate mine even more.