The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 November 2015, 07:32 AM   #31
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi32 View Post
I saw that watch when it first came up on their site. One of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen and for a fleeting moment I thought about liquidating some of my collection to get it. I think it's that nice.
Same here. It is my birth year too, which makes it more appealing. I have literally been looking at gilt Subs at every source I can find everyday for at least two years now and this is the best example I have seen. I was told it was the nicest 5513 they have ever seen and they have seen a lot of 5513's...

I am really in the market for a gilt Sub I can wear in my regular rotation and as much as I love this piece, it just may be too nice for my needs if that makes sense.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2015, 07:42 AM   #32
seattleal
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Gilt Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
The $49,000 one at HQ is incredibly confusing to me. Don't get me wrong, I love those guys and have bought a few pieces from them, I honestly don't under stand the price tag on this one. I mean....it's a damaged dial, yes? What am I missing?
http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1966...ossy-gilt-dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi32 View Post
I saw that watch when it first came up on their site. One of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen and for a fleeting moment I thought about liquidating some of my collection to get it. I think it's that nice.
Love is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't understand the appeal of most of the damage dialed watches offered for sale - especially when offered at a price premium.
seattleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2015, 07:43 AM   #33
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Same here. It is my birth year too, which makes it more appealing. I have literally been looking at gilt Subs at every source I can find everyday for at least two years now and this is the best example I have seen. I was told it was the nicest 5513 they have ever seen and they have seen a lot of 5513's...

I am really in the market for a gilt Sub I can wear in my regular rotation and as much as I love this piece, it just may be too nice for my needs if that makes sense.

Mark, just to clarify, are you talking about this one (which I think is simply stunning)
http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1964...ers-first-dial

Or, this one, which I mentioned earlier, and which I don't quite "get"
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2015, 07:53 AM   #34
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Mark, just to clarify, are you talking about this one (which I think is simply stunning)
http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1964...ers-first-dial

Or, this one, which I mentioned earlier, and which I don't quite "get"
Oops, I was actually talking about the 1966...LOL maybe only I get it. I think it may be one of those pieces that either sings to you or does not. I contacted several friends who are collectors and about half said I should jump on a plane to SF to go buy it and the other half said I was stoned. Jacek thinks pretty highly of it, obviously based on the asking price, but he seemed to genuinely think it was extremely special. Something about the gold effect with the hands and dial is just unique to me. Just hard to justify that kind of expense for one watch.

Oh and that 64 is just flawless. I love the traditional gloss dials just as much. More likely what I will end up acquiring.

Hey wait a minute, you already have a beautiful 66 gilt I remember seeing in the vintage thread.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2015, 07:58 AM   #35
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
HA!! I've suggested a number of things in my life where half my friends couldn't be more encouraging, while the remainders were ready to sit me down and intervene.
So, yes, i can entirely relate, man!
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2015, 05:02 AM   #36
Cortezthekiller
"TRF" Member

I'm with Droptop, the honey-tone "damage" is beautiful and makes the watch unique. Although I'm not a big Sub fan, I would love to wear this.
Omega Flightmaster 145.036, 145.012 Speedmaster
Enicar Sherpa Guide MKII
Cortezthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2015, 06:24 AM   #37
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

I call them deteriorating dials and I think it's a more accurate description than "aged". These examples should cost less not more and if you go back a decade they generally did. Good question as to why some dials go like this and others stay black. Why do some bubble and others stay smooth? Faulty? Not sure if that's an accurate explanation.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2015, 07:27 AM   #38
Cortezthekiller
"TRF" Member

I wish damaged/deteriorated/tropical/patinated dials reduced prices! If I wanted my old watch to look new I would be paying far less for watches with service dials, bezels, and hands.
Omega Flightmaster 145.036, 145.012 Speedmaster
Enicar Sherpa Guide MKII
Cortezthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2015, 03:56 AM   #39
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DRSD
I will consider what happened to the 1966 dial as an anomaly but its definitely a unique and beautiful anomaly in my own personal opinion.
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2015, 11:55 AM   #40
waspy1
Banned

As beautiful as jaceks tropical 5513 is, I'd be surprised if it came with the gilt hands which it currently has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote