The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2017, 01:47 PM   #361
nsxnext
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
So sorry to hear about your wife's passing and the buglary.
Wishing for only good things for you in 2018.
nsxnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2017, 12:48 AM   #362
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rolex Theft by Home Break-in

Thanks very much for the kind words everyone. I guess all of us knows how much we value TRF for the class acts YOU are.

Deep down we are not all that different. I believe the power to remain free of retribution is in all of us. Our shared goodness can be compromised when bad things happen. Thank you for all the positive energy you have offered.

When confronted with the dark acts of others, our thoughts naturally race. Naturally one reacts quickly, speaks rashly, and hurt/hate can consume the good inside us. Philosophy varies, but if we slow down and bring all our awareness into the present moment, draw a deep breath, the perspective helps. It has helped me in these two unwelcome chapters of what has otherwise been a truly wonderful life.

As many have said - I am grateful nobody was home, nobody was injured, the home was not vandalized, the damage was minimal, the more sentimental treasures have been recovered, the police acted swiftly, the worst offender has been captured, the DA office has been helpful and my hopes spring eternal that we all will have a better 2018 ahead.

So my hopes for you are a Happy New Year filled with good things and better lives - stronger family ties - success and good will towards all.

One last - and almost incredible -realization. I was looking in a top dresser drawer for a set of gold cuff links I kept there. Yep, gone...not a huge value...perhaps a few hundred dollars worth of gold. They were already vintage when I got them about 50 years ago - coming from a bygone era of the early 20th Century when French Cuffs were commonplace. I used them perhaps once a year with a tux. Sorry they’re gone - prolly melted down by now - I then realized something else...

I noticed something else missing...a plastic Solo cup...the type you use at a water cooler. Not of any sentimental value in and of itself. But it was the one that held the medals won over an earlier time when I raced with the Atlanta Ski Club. Never was a top-step racer - couldn’t win the Gold in GS - but I earned several Silver and Bronze finishes. A knee injury at Steamboat ended that pursuit sometime in my late 20’s. What’s gone isn’t worth any real money - the memories each one brought forth are still with me.

Don’t know why but that was an aha moment that occurred just minutes before the DA office had called yesterday. As we get older, we tend to forget where we cubbyholed all those little memories both in our heads and in our dresser drawers.

Well, now I’ll still have the general warm feelings of team camaraderie- dry land Summer/Fall training tortures that our coach devised (and they weren’t really torture - they made us stronger). The trips all over the Western slopes and a few icy NC slopes. The butterflies as we stomped our skis in the Start House. (Never really understood what that did technically, but everyone did it and so I followed suit. Prolly cleared my mind better and focused me on the pre-run course inspection we had done an hour earlier) The countdown timer.....beep - beep - beep - beep - BEEEEEPPPP!!! Then the Run, the gates I did well, the ones I slid a bit and lost a tenth...and if the 1st Run was good...all those feelings flooding back for the 2nd Run. The podium celebrations - or more often - the congratulations given to the victors.

So the value? Well maybe $2 of silver plated scrap brass, $$$thousands of travel costs, equipment, clothing, etc., and like the old MasterCard ad, priceless memories I won’t lose until the end

Sure, I told the Asst. DA, but not expecting anything - I guess the crew thought they were precious metal. So the joke is on them - they were precious but their value wasn’t lost.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2017, 01:27 AM   #363
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
I had a few things stolen before and its a strange feeling.

nothing as equal to your losses but here are a couple.

3 watches vanished in my house. One was sentimental bought by my wifes father in Tokyo on our very first visit to meet the family after we got married.
I think it was the AC people who stole them, that's the only people who would have been in the house around that time.

another one that really burnt, not because of the value but time spent... I had an apartment in one of those big complexes. I hated living there but it was nice. I had a walk in closet. I had one of those big plastic tubs, the kind that hold cheese puffs at Sams club. I had it on the bottom of my closet and every day I would toss my change in there. I also had tossed currency in there as well. I had maybe 6 months or a year saved, it may have been half full. I was going to use it towards a scuba trip. Well, one day I came home and went to toss the change in and OMG, it was gone. Nothing else was touched.. must have been maintenance men or something. It hurt... I felt violated and moved out shortly after that incident.
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 12:28 PM   #364
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !

Somehow missed this thread Paul, sorry for your material losses, glad you and family are fine and have been able to get back some of the stolen jewerly etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 12:48 AM   #365
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I have been thinking about this thread lately. Any updates?
Old 17 January 2018, 01:18 AM   #366
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
im curious too......?
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 12:59 PM   #367
77T

Sorry for the delayed update - it has been due to getting more details on the case and the tasks I've completed. I've been able to post on TRF from the iPhone here an there, but now have the stolen computers replaced. I actually got a MacBook Pro to replace the 3 stolen ones and only got the last piece added today to start my taxes (oh, joy!)

On the homefront, the last repairs were completed on Saturday with new windows for the ones damaged. I also had quite a time finding the door hardware for one door they tried to forcefully open - but I did that work on Sunday.

For Video Surveillance I am still wrangling with the alarm company to get the price reasonable - until then I've put strategic wireless cameras that load to the cloud and alert me for all sides of the home, as well as doorbell.

As for the legal case - the authorities have held the culprit without bail due to our State's 3rd strike law. That also accelerates the case for the Superior Court calendar. His accomplice is still at large.

I've had some paperwork to do but that's all for restitution if the culprit will negotiate by giving up his fence's name and the location of any other property he stashed or sold. As I reported before, we did get much of my wife's jewelry recovered during the arrest, and one Rolex. These were items he was trying to sell off at Pawn Shops, I guess - otherwise they wouldn't have been in the Hyundai he was driving when apprehended. But the very valuable Rolexes are still missing. I sent off my wife's recovered Rolex to the RSC for a full spa treatment and overhaul. The clasp was partially damaged but should buff out. This will get any negative mojo off the piece and a new 2-year warranty for our daughter.

The insurance company has been great to work with - after one hiccup with a less than exemplary adjuster, I escalated and got an assigned adjuster who has been very good with quick reimbursements. Of course, the high ticket Rolexes are self-insured (meaning on my dime)...I've been looking for a replacement YG 1803 head with the Wide Boy champagne dial but will likely not replace the Platona.

The neighbors have been great; this was the first burglary since our small community was developed in 1995.

As the case winds its way through the courts, I will share more - I have done some research on the perpetrators and new twists still make me wonder. I already commented earlier on the "lookout", a pregnant teen who by now has had her baby - but I just learned new info about the actual criminal who was behind the whole crime spree in our County. All told, 8 homes were targeted across 3 different cities in our County. Mine had the greatest monetary loss but one became a home invasion because the owner was inside. I just hope it wasn't an "armed" encounter using the self-defense item taken from my home...

Either way, the ironic part is this: the guy who's sitting in jail was a standout wide receiver with big stats on one of the County's top football teams. He was offered a full ride with Purdue in 2014 but never played there - the trail goes cold after that. Not an excuse - just puzzling how things can go wrong so swiftly. His family isn't cooperating nor is he thus far - I'm willing to do a reduced sentence if no violence was done towards any of the other cases.

I hope the DA will work this out for more recovery of the stolen property. But hope is not a strategy...

Old 23 January 2018, 01:33 PM   #368
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon12

In 5 years it will only be a spot in your memory, and hopefully will have already acquired a YG 1803 head with the Wide Boy champagne dial.

Who knows the Platona may be right around the corner...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa.jpg (45.2 KB, 1304 views)

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 01:35 PM   #369
77T

Thanks Sam
Like they say, somebody’s got to win!

Old 23 January 2018, 01:48 PM   #370
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Such a shame but glad no one was harmed during the heist...here’s to a much brighter 2018 Paul...take er easy brother
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 01:51 PM   #371
77T

Thanks Chris. Yes, hopefully 2017’s downside won’t be repeated.

Old 7 February 2018, 03:41 AM   #372
77T

Another minor update in case some want to follow along.

Met with detective today because I discovered some additional evidence. More torn latex gloves with potential DNA/prints on their inner surfaces. Not really key to solving the case - they have done that through great vigilance and many overnight stake-outs. But such evidence could tie the culprits tighter into which home each one entered.

One is jailed without bond - he has prior convictions for which he was on probation. Now the judge on those cases will bind him over for serving the full sentence on those priors. Plus he will get new prison term for the current cases.

I posted earlier about the perpetrators and their sad fates but a new puzzle piece came out today. The one who’s in jail had a football scholarship from Purdue in 2014. It never was claimed because he fell into drug abuse after his Senior HS year - and then was caught in burglaries to fund that addiction.

I didn’t ask which substance - could have been opioids or coke or who knows what.

Just a shame that a promising life could be ruined so easily. It also turns out he has blown his courtroom strategy since the sheriffs are recording his jail phone calls to family members. He’s been laying out the proof of his role in my case and the other families he stole from.

My wife’s recovered Rolex is now with the RSC in NYC for a complete spa treatment. So that will be “like new” when I turn it over to her daughter as one inherited memento.

Old 7 February 2018, 05:08 AM   #373
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Thanks for the update.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 05:15 AM   #374
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
From potential pro footballer to a long stretch inside. Very sad state of affairs. Thanks for the update.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 06:23 AM   #375
jcatt
"TRF" Member

Sad. A senior at my son's school was expelled last week after having been found having seizure on campus after having "vaped" some sort of drug. He was the star QB of the football team, owned every school record, and was headed to play at Michigan in the fall. Threw it away. Hopefully his story will have a good ending.
JCATT
GMT Master II Pepsi 16710
Cartier Roadster Chrono
jcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 06:56 AM   #376
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO

That’s some real CSI stuff the police are doing. As sad as these stories of addiction may be, getting offenders out of decent society is necessary. Crime - especially violent crime - is overwhelmingly perpetrated by repeat offenders. As someone who has beaten multiple addictions, I have little sympathy for addicts.
Old 7 February 2018, 07:07 AM   #377
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Thanks for that update, Paul. It's a shame his life turned out as it did, harming so many people it seems. Either way I'm glad the recovered watch is being serviced and so be passed down to her!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 07:51 AM   #378
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
I wonder what happened to the pregnant lady.... hope the baby is ok.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 08:42 AM   #379
duckowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 116710LN
So sorry to hear about your siruation. The same thing happened to me two years ago. Wish you the best of luck.
Old 12 February 2018, 03:52 PM   #380
sssteel
"TRF" Member

I've read every post: Horrible, horrible, horrible event!!!
I was angered & disgusted. Then I became happy that they were caught and you have recovered one watch.
You have an absolutely incredible and one of a kind attitude!!!
However, this should have Never even happened to you, or anyone for that matter, in the first place!!
Wishing more good things your (& your families’) way! Was the female ever caught?? She at least has a warrant out for her arrest, no??
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 04:11 AM   #381
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Sadden to hear this Paul, it makes me think it would be a good Idea to make a photographic inventory of my watches, I hope that this gets resolved for you as quickly as possibly for you.
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 04:47 AM   #382
77T

Thanks everyone for the expressions of support. I don’t have much more to add yet since the first hearing for the leader of this crime spree hasn’t occurred yet.

But I do want to answer a couple of questions that police don’t mind me sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
I wonder what happened to the pregnant lady.... hope the baby is ok.
According to the detectives, they think she has left this area since her due date has long passed - no hospitals have admitted a person by her name. Friends and family of hers have reached out through contacts to surrender to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
Sadden to hear this Paul, it makes me think it would be a good Idea to make a photographic inventory of my watches, I hope that this gets resolved for you as quickly as possibly for you.
Yes the photographs I had were helpful. Amazingly, the WRUW posts I had made were a good part of establishing what the watches looked like. My wife never had me post any but some stock photos helped the Police ID one of her watches they recovered when the ring-leader was caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteel View Post
I've read every post: Horrible, horrible, horrible event!!!
I was angered & disgusted. Then I became happy that they were caught and you have recovered one watch.
You have an absolutely incredible and one of a kind attitude!!!
However, this should have Never even happened to you, or anyone for that matter, in the first place!!
Wishing more good things your (& your families’) way! Was the female ever caught?? She at least has a warrant out for her arrest, no??

She is still at-large and now they do have a warrant out for her arrest. In the beginning, authorities were willing to seek her out as a person of interest. This would have given them latitude in releasing her under house arrest while she awaited her baby’s birth.

Of course, by now that baby is hopefully getting good treatment. But I still think what a terrible shame for both of them. Police already briefed me about the motives - the ring leader was addicted to drugs and the young girl was needing money to find a place to live. They apparently had been sleeping out in the car they used for burglaries.

I can only hope the baby wasn’t subjected to substance abuse in utero - that the girl wasn’t part of the drug use. Police haven’t said anything about that.

Have to go for now - been out on a few hikes today by a beautiful mill pond, roaring rapids and peaceful streams. And all within a stone’s throw of the biggest Mall in Georgia

Now headed to a hilltop hike to my wife’s memorial tree in a nearby park.

Again, thanks for your great support and I hope you are having a good morning, day or evening where you are now

Old 13 February 2018, 07:07 AM   #383
sssteel
"TRF" Member

^^^
Those activities sound wonderful! Enjoy!
Kudos to you! As others have said, you are clearly an amazing person/human!
All the best!
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 07:57 AM   #384
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Paul, being in my mid 20s, I greatly admire your fortitude with all of this. As devastating as it must have been to lose not just physical items, but also your feeling of security, I can't help but respect the values you've put forth. Watches can be replaced. Friends, family, and memories are what truly count.

Regardless, I'm so glad to see you at least got your wife's OP back (among other items). I do hope they recover the rest of your belongings as well.
Old 14 March 2018, 05:57 AM   #385
77T

I know it's been about a month since my last update on this topic. Not too much new has happened - except the perpetrator's case went before the Grand Jury. They approved the charges levied by the authorities and the Asst. DA. His bail request was denied (as I think I mentioned earlier).

So the next step on that front is an arraignment and scheduling a trial judge, etc. Unless, of course, a guilty plea is entered.

On the property recovery, nothing new except someone came onto internet from my stolen MacBook Air and that set off an alert to me - it has been erased. I really wish the "Find my Mac/iPhone" function could capture and store the IP addy when that happens. Otherwise, unless I get onto a device right away, I can't see where the MBA is sitting in the World.

Last thing, RUSA is hard at work on the recovered Ladies OP - North of $900 for full service, new crown and crystal...yes, Virginia the price has gone up a bit. But the crystal was optional (tiny chip in it that Rolex would have allowed) however, I want our daughter to have a perfect one. Glad the gouge on the clasp suffered during the heist was able to be buffed out. I wouldn't like to see the price for a new one...I'm sure they wouldn't like me sourcing one off TRF

I so appreciate the TRF support and when something newsworthy comes my way, I'll share it. Of course, pics when the OP returns, too!

Old 16 March 2018, 08:52 AM   #386
77T

News update: Detectives captured the perpetrator’s accomplice. No new property recovered. She had fled the State. The baby was born and she came back to Georgia. Then called detectives to say, “It wasn’t me...” - um, yeah they had her picture from a Ring doorbell camera (from another home the team broke into) on local TV news.

Now in jail with no bond. Had she come forward the day the thief was caught she would have been released on bail as a first offender. And maybe we’d have been closer to recovering some more property.

Hope she can straighten out - the other guy is a confirmed career criminal per the detectives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 16 March 2018, 09:22 AM   #387
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I hadn’t seen this thread. I’m so sorry for your loss 77T. I can’t even begin to imagine what you went through. I’m glad that you recovered your late wife’s watch. While it sucks the Platona and DD are still missing, her watch is much more valuable than both of those. The Platona is replaceable but your wife’s personal watches aren’t. I’m glad the police was able to find the criminals who did this. I really wish you all the best. Keep your head up and stay strong man.
Old 16 March 2018, 09:28 AM   #388
DGB
"TRF" Member

Sorry about your terrible story, hope you’ll get then back.
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 09:44 AM   #389
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Icon9 Rolex Theft by Home Break-in

Just seeing this first the first time. Sorry to hear about this and I hope by some miracle you get them back!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 10:00 AM   #390
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
Sorry to hear this.

Last edited by thomaswentworth; 16 March 2018 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: should have read entire thread instead of only first page
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote