The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 December 2017, 12:27 AM   #1
Stevesblakely
Banned

Model 1603 from 1973 water damaged?

Hello to you all.
I have been offered a 1603/1570 DJ from 1973, guy bought it in Germany in September with a 1 year warranty, Dial looks original , but between 6 and 8 on the second markers there looks to be water damage? case looks be polished also. I know this guy, good rolex knowledge , he wants to change up to (wait for it)
A seadweller triple 6 from 1986.. his birth year. Good luck on that.. he wants $2400 for this.. This morning , my heart almost pulled the trigger, but my head screamed wait and won the day. pics attached.. Many thanks in advance for advice
Is this a dog, or just the history when some fool forget to screw down the crown.
Stephen
Hells bells... now I need 9 more posts before I can attach pics... May as well start here
Sorry people

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Stevesblakely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 02:14 PM   #2
Vlad
"TRF" Member

without a picture, there is very little we can help you with. Sorry. If you provide a link, then maybe some people, not me - as I refuse to follow unknown links, might look at it. other wise, post comments and opinions, get up to 10, and them post photos
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 02:27 PM   #3
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Oysters remain decently waterfast even if crown is open & it gets splashed. But if you drop it to the bottom of a lake or rinse it with a firehose, then yeah it might get past the tiny o-ring & flood inside.

Dials can deteriorate by themselves just over time, it's been 45yrs :)

1570 is hardy, spareparts are available but naturally nothing is cheap. You'll have to do your own sums on the economics of restoring vs buying a different better unit.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Paul
"TRF" Member

Sounmds too expensive to me ...

If I'm understanding the OP's post correctly, I'm thinking $2400 is too expensive for a DateJust 1603 with a damaged dial.

As a basis for comparison, I have this watch. A tidy enough 1603 from 1968, - same price $2400
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ1_forRF.jpg (125.9 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg DJ2_forRF.jpg (183.2 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by Lol-x; 26 December 2017 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Rule breach
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 11:06 PM   #5
Stevesblakely
Banned

Hi all, the more I think about my 24 hour rule, the more I agree with Paul. Glad I used my head rather than my heart on this. I hope to have 10 posts soon. Then I hope not to bother everybody so much with "pictureless" posts
S

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Stevesblakely is offline   Reply With Quote