The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 January 2018, 01:10 AM   #1
key
"TRF" Member

Discounts on 5167r? And 5167r vs 116618lb (blue dial)?

Hello everyone,

I've been waiting for the 5711 blue dial, but with the recent news of the price increase, I'm starting to consider other options (should've gotten the white dial when it was offered to me a couple months back ).

I'm considering the 5167r model instead, and was wondering what the typical discount would be on this piece nowadays.

Also, when compared to the submariner gold blue dial, which of the two do you guys prefer?

Thanks and hope everyone has a great day.

key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 02:00 AM   #2
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by key View Post
Hello everyone,

I've been waiting for the 5711 blue dial, but with the recent news of the price increase, I'm starting to consider other options (should've gotten the white dial when it was offered to me a couple months back ).

I'm considering the 5167r model instead, and was wondering what the typical discount would be on this piece nowadays.

Also, when compared to the submariner gold blue dial, which of the two do you guys prefer?

Thanks and hope everyone has a great day.

What else is in your collection? If you have a PM sports Rolex, then the 5167r sounds tempting. Also consider the 5711/1r, assuming they don’t raise the gold one by 20% like they’re allegedly doing on the steel. The delta between the gold and the steel may make sense to go gold.
Old 25 January 2018, 02:12 AM   #3
key
"TRF" Member

My only other watch at the moment is a 116500 white dial, which was why I passed on the white dial 5711 when it was offered to me.

The 5711r is unfortunately out of my budget, unless I can source one in the EU with some discount plus VAT refunds.

Argh... pretty bummed out about the price increase.
Old 25 January 2018, 02:13 AM   #4
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

stick with the 5711, still great value
Old 25 January 2018, 02:13 AM   #5
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I think the 5167r is an underrated piece. To me, it looks better than the 5168 and it's cheaper. This piece is on my list. I think a good price is $30k from an AD.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 02:17 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
I think the 5167r is an underrated piece. To me, it looks better than the 5168 and it's cheaper. This piece is on my list. I think a good price is $30k from an AD.
in 42mm i might agree with you. IMO the larger size makes the 5168 a winner in my book. I really like the 67r though. Its just too small and thin. One or the other im OK with, but both makes it a tough call for me to pull the trigger.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 02:22 AM   #7
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I’d get the 116618LB. Best value for a gold watch.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 02:28 AM   #8
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
in 42mm i might agree with you. IMO the larger size makes the 5168 a winner in my book. I really like the 67r though. Its just too small and thin. One or the other im OK with, but both makes it a tough call for me to pull the trigger.
I agree, the 5167 does feel pretty thin. I have the 5164a and I think it is the perfect size/thickness. I'm not sure but isn't the 5168 42mm but with the same thickness as the 5167?
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 02:58 AM   #9
key
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I’d get the 116618LB. Best value for a gold watch.
If I can get the 5167r for $30k, would you still prefer the 116618LB over the 5167r?

Now that the 5711 costs almost $30k, paying $30k for a 5167r seems like a much more attractive option.
Old 25 January 2018, 03:01 AM   #10
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
If I can get the 5167r for $30k, would you still prefer the 116618LB over the 5167r?

Now that the 5711 costs almost $30k, paying $30k for a 5167r seems like a much more attractive option.
it is great looking watch !

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 03:16 AM   #11
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

So let’s say it comes down to the 5167r vs 116618LB.

First the Patek: it’s uncommon; it’s exceptionally finished and refined; it’s very comfortable and not overly heavy for a gold watch; it’s also more expensive (slow) to service; it’s a slow mover if flipping; scratches/dings are glaring. Now the Rolex: it’s derivative of its steel breathren but pretty rare in the wild; it’s not as exquisite or fine as the Patek but it’ll follow you to hell & back and survive; it’s relatively cheap (fast) to service; they don’t resale like hot cakes but there’s a larger market for it than Patek; gold Rolexes actually look good with some scratches/dings - this brand was meant to be worn hard.

So which camp do you fall in? If you have a large collection then I’d get the Patek. However if your collection is small and every watch has to be justified then I’d get the Rolex.
Old 25 January 2018, 05:11 AM   #12
key
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
So let’s say it comes down to the 5167r vs 116618LB.

First the Patek: it’s uncommon; it’s exceptionally finished and refined; it’s very comfortable and not overly heavy for a gold watch; it’s also more expensive (slow) to service; it’s a slow mover if flipping; scratches/dings are glaring. Now the Rolex: it’s derivative of its steel breathren but pretty rare in the wild; it’s not as exquisite or fine as the Patek but it’ll follow you to hell & back and survive; it’s relatively cheap (fast) to service; they don’t resale like hot cakes but there’s a larger market for it than Patek; gold Rolexes actually look good with some scratches/dings - this brand was meant to be worn hard.

So which camp do you fall in? If you have a large collection then I’d get the Patek. However if your collection is small and every watch has to be justified then I’d get the Rolex.
Thanks for the great advice kilyung!

I'm torn as I'd like to experience some Patek pieces, but Patek isn't very welcoming for new collectors and it's reaching a point where I am getting turned off by the brand altogether.

The problem, however, is that if there is a price increase for all models, now would be the best time to purchase a Patek piece.

Regarding scratches and dings, I am curious to hear why you think the Rolex looks better with scratches and dings -- is it the ceramic bezel that makes the difference?

Old 25 January 2018, 06:05 AM   #13
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm torn as I'd like to experience some Patek pieces, but Patek isn't very welcoming for new collectors and it's reaching a point where I am getting turned off by the brand altogether.

The problem, however, is that if there is a price increase for all models, now would be the best time to purchase a Patek piece.

Regarding scratches and dings, I am curious to hear why you think the Rolex looks better with scratches and dings -- is it the ceramic bezel that makes the difference?

How about a DD40??? Shows the least amount of scratches!
rolexgiants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 08:05 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
For me it would be between the 5164 and YG Subc, very tough choice, but I suspect you want a PP.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 05:41 PM   #15
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I don’t seem to be bothered by scratches on my Rolexes. They all blend together and match the brush finish eventually. Pateks are renowned for their finishing so scars mar the watches.
Old 25 January 2018, 05:55 PM   #16
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Agreed, though no one seems to be able to confirm clearly.
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 01:15 PM   #17
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

OP, curious if you've made a decision.
i'm also pondering on the 5167r.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote