The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 February 2018, 04:29 AM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its just weird as almost every "normal" watch is very hard to get across the RO and ROO lines. People are going to get turned off.

Just today I was trying on the VC overseas chrono again. I finally figured out what it is. Its not an alternative to a RO, its an alternative to a ROO. Its big and chunky like an offshore. Between that and my favorite ROO release of the year (the beast), i would chose the VC. Plus I can actually find the VC, so its a win win.
Seriously considering it actually.

I think the other brands are going to be the winners in the artificial scarcity game, because they are not playing.
Were you offered a discount? At the Bond St boutique?

I was pretty much told no discount even on that new ultra thin WG one for about forty grand.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 04:35 AM   #32
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Were you offered a discount? At the Bond St boutique?

I was pretty much told no discount even on that new slim WG one for about forty grand.
i wouldn't buy at the boutique most likely, but yes thats where i was. They felt bad as im the only american they see not eligible for a VAT refund so they offered a small discount and a few extra straps.

Got a personal email from the director within an hour of leaving though, something that never happens with AP. The experience was exceptional and befitting a top brand. I just think AP has cut so many corners its not comparable anymore. That has nothing to do with the actual watch, but the experience matters too.

While i was there, there was some lady in there trying to get a discount on some watch, no idea what...but they said no because whatever watch she was looking at was a boutique exclusive. I think the ultra thin WG one is boutique only too, so no discount at all.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 09:10 AM   #33
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i wouldn't buy at the boutique most likely, but yes thats where i was. They felt bad as im the only american they see not eligible for a VAT refund so they offered a small discount and a few extra straps.

Got a personal email from the director within an hour of leaving though, something that never happens with AP. The experience was exceptional and befitting a top brand. I just think AP has cut so many corners its not comparable anymore. That has nothing to do with the actual watch, but the experience matters too.

While i was there, there was some lady in there trying to get a discount on some watch, no idea what...but they said no because whatever watch she was looking at was a boutique exclusive. I think the ultra thin WG one is boutique only too, so no discount at all.
Never even got a reply to my email to them, despite a nice visit, so I'm not impressed with them. I would happily buy used or from a grey, but not a penny more to buy from them direct.
Old 3 February 2018, 05:02 PM   #34
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay821 View Post
I’m taking delivery next month of a 15202. Paying retail
Congrats. How many pieces did you have to pick up beforehand?
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 05:59 PM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Never even got a reply to my email to them, despite a nice visit, so I'm not impressed with them. I would happily buy used or from a grey, but not a penny more to buy from them direct.
watchfinder is going to let me know when they get one in. Still not sure if ill get it, but i really do want to see where they price it. They pretty much set the market here and i have no idea what WF sells them at.
Old 3 February 2018, 07:56 PM   #36
bluebeamer
"TRF" Member

yup in singapore you used to get one anytime from the boutique. they always had it in stock. now there's a waiting list
bluebeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 09:19 PM   #37
scuba77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
watchfinder is going to let me know when they get one in. Still not sure if ill get it, but i really do want to see where they price it. They pretty much set the market here and i have no idea what WF sells them at.
Unless going mad i'm sure they had 2016 15202 on for just under £21k yesterday but its gone now , maybe it sold for close to that price
scuba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 11:01 PM   #38
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
Congrats. How many pieces did you have to pick up beforehand?
Nada. Put deposit down 9 months ago tho
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 01:00 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They actually have a 2 gen VCO for a very nice price, really tempted as dont see many of them but wanted the black dial.
Old 4 February 2018, 01:12 AM   #40
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They actually have a 2 gen VCO for a very nice price, really tempted as dont see many of them but wanted the black dial.
i do prefer the current generation. Ive yet to see a WF list price for one.
But the older one is nice too. The white dial is priced pretty good.
Old 4 February 2018, 01:44 AM   #41
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i do prefer the current generation. Ive yet to see a WF list price for one.
But the older one is nice too. The white dial is priced pretty good.
Compared to their HH Nautilus and RO brothers the price is pretty incredible now.

I like the new blue dial and strap change, but not the new bracelet as the VC motif isn't as defined and 3D as the 2 gen's for me.
Old 5 February 2018, 06:57 PM   #42
Recon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS 1815 Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBay View Post
MAN! Talk about fast. Over the last six months, I've watched the prices on blue 15400s and 15202s start to rocket to the moon. Obviously, blue dials have always been a tougher get, but it's now been confirmed to me by ADs all up and down the west coast of the US that these blue 15400s and 15202s and now 100% boutique only, and if you call the boutique, you're laughed off the phone asking for one. Now, I managed to get one grey, but dam AP - way to grind it into the faces of your fans.
You sure the 15202 is boutique only? I heard they restricted supply to the ADs but nothing about it becoming boutique only like the 15400 blue dial
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 07:06 PM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
You sure the 15202 is boutique only? I heard they restricted supply to the ADs but nothing about it becoming boutique only like the 15400 blue dial
i know it is officially boutique only in the UK. Dont know about other markets but as ive said before the term boutique only is increasingly irrelevant as popular models no matter the classification are not going to AD's hardly at all.

SS 15407 is a prime example. Its not boutique only but no AD can get one. The Blue/silver dial ROC isnt either but AD's hardly get any. CE ROO 44 not boutique exclusive but its another one AD's cant get any more.
Old 6 February 2018, 11:43 AM   #44
slayers
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202st 116610ln
Annnnddd with the markets the past two days i have a feeling we're heading back to normal
slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 12:29 PM   #45
Kaapu
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex,SUF
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayers View Post
Annnnddd with the markets the past two days i have a feeling we're heading back to normal
Yep no more PP5711 - AP 15202 etc hype. Those glory days are gone
Kaapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:01 AM   #46
T3F
"TRF" Member

It pains me to say this owning a 15400 blue dual, but I think part of the crazy demand is the fact that 5711s are essentially unattainable, forcing people to look for alternatives. Hopefully the prices keeps going up; if 15400 blue prices get to $25k, I might jump ship and go for a 15202 (or something else entirely) once demand calms down again.
Old 8 February 2018, 08:23 AM   #47
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
really??
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 08:25 AM   #48
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS1 View Post
really??
Was thinking the same. Prices still seem inflated to me.... assuming you can find one!
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 04:07 AM   #49
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
Hopefully the prices keeps going up; if 15400 blue prices get to $25k,
I'd expect to see a bump post the 5711/5712 price increase, assuming AP doesn't decide to cash in and start pumping these out.

But we're still long way away from $25k
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 09:20 AM   #50
T3F
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2008 View Post
I'd expect to see a bump post the 5711/5712 price increase, assuming AP doesn't decide to cash in and start pumping these out.

But we're still long way away from $25k
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect that it will be worth $25k, just hoping. :)

My guess is that prices have peaked, especially given the market appears like it might finally be cracking.
Old 9 February 2018, 10:20 AM   #51
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
I can not phantom the idea paying over retail. It's just a watch after all.
Couldn't agree with you more, Andreas.

Must be a Nordic thing...

(I'm currently on the waiting list for AP 15202, 15400 blue and PP 5167A. I have been told it will most likely take 2 years (a bit less on the 15400), maybe more - this being HK and all. Sure, it would be great if things were to speed up a bit. But yes, I can wait.)

Cheers,
Joe
Old 9 February 2018, 11:22 AM   #52
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
10% correction on U.S. equities... wonder what they does to these crazy prices..
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 12:02 PM   #53
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
10% correction on U.S. equities... wonder what they does to these crazy prices..
absolutely nothing.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 04:01 PM   #54
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS1 View Post
absolutely nothing.
agreed. Look at the chart over a year (at a minimum), not a week
Old 10 February 2018, 04:30 AM   #55
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This 10% draws us down right onto the SP 200 Moving Average so where it goes from here is key, if it dips below but soon pings back up then the bull market, based on strong earnings, continues; if it stays below for a while then confidence is genuinely eroded and this could signal a 6 month bear market as happened the last two times in 11 and 16, but I think this very unlikely given the healthy state of the economy.
Old 10 February 2018, 04:50 AM   #56
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
This 10% draws us down right onto the SP 200 Moving Average so where it goes from here is key, if it dips below but soon pings back up then the bull market, based on strong earnings, continues; if it stays below for a while then confidence is genuinely eroded and this could signal a 6 month bear market as happened the last two times in 11 and 16, but I think this very unlikely given the healthy state of the economy.
The economy is healthy until it isn't and can turn bad pretty fast.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2018, 04:59 AM   #57
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
The economy is healthy until it isn't and can turn bad pretty fast.
basically its this in a nutshell. The economy is doing well. Tax cuts lead to more spending and more demand for goods and services. This leads to inflation which is a problem we haven't had for a long time. Inflation leads to interest rate hikes which is bad for stocks so the market goes down as more rate hikes than priced into the market are anticipated. This leads to volatility and all these volatility based funds all just tanked as they are betting against it. It unravels similarly to the housing collapse but its not as bad as the underlying assets (the companies in the market) are actually very healthy. This has exacerbated the recent falls though when you short volatility.
Old 10 February 2018, 05:08 AM   #58
denvercenturion
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Come here to discuss watches; instead get an education an insight into the American economic systems, who needs CNBC anyway lol!
denvercenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2018, 05:42 AM   #59
soundserious
"TRF" Member

I think the market volatility will push prices for some of these watches even higher. A blue royal oak is a safe bet.
Old 10 February 2018, 06:33 AM   #60
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
It pains me to say this owning a 15400 blue dual, but I think part of the crazy demand is the fact that 5711s are essentially unattainable, forcing people to look for alternatives. Hopefully the prices keeps going up; if 15400 blue prices get to $25k, I might jump ship and go for a 15202 (or something else entirely) once demand calms down again.
Doubt 15400 MSRP will raise to $25K - I don't see AP creating a price difference between the blue and white/black dials.

Despite all this talk of 15202s being hard to find and rare with multi-year waiting lists I still don't see any meaningful premium for brand new ones. Yes, pre-owned prices are up a bit, but the increase has been tiny compared to the 5711. That leads me to believe 5711 and 15202 prices are not that correlated and that the 5711 increase may not have that big of an effect on the blue APs as some owners would hope to happen.

As I've said in another thread - wake me up when 15202s hit $40K. Otherwise I will continue to enjoy mine without obsessing over the value of it.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote