The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2018, 06:38 PM   #1
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Falling out of love with Rolex

I know we are on the Rolex forum and I may get blasted for this but is anyone else falling out of love or getting bored with Rolex or their watches?

I used to have a few Rolex watches (SD anniversary, Daytona, Sub, Yachtmaster) but now I only have the 16610LV and a TT GMT, I kept the TT as I don't have another TT or GMT but I even then I am thinking of selling or swapping it out as I don't really wear it. I still really respect the brand and defend it massively when ADs of other watches that don't have Rolex slate them, BUT I find the watches a bit stale...
I think Tudor has had an effect on me, similar looks and you get massive bang for buck.Is Rolex really worth that much more over a Tudor? Another member posted it was buying the sub that got him excited but once he got it home the effect quickly wore off.
I rotate between my Tudor BBBlack, Hamilton Pan europ chrono for daily and the APRO or VC overseas if I'm going somewhere nicer or for a more formal meeting. I never picked the Rolex(s) unless I made a conscious effort.

Having said all that I am still getting the Hulk and waiting for there blue dial Skydweller as for me no other watch does the green dial like the Hulk! And the Skydweller is for me the most ingenious annual calendar.
Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 06:41 PM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
It seems like you still like Rolex but your tastes are changing; go with it!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 06:45 PM   #3
Clay
Banned

Tastes change...
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 06:45 PM   #4
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
you're falling out of love with Rolex , but getting two more- HULK & Skydweller ?

on a serious note variety is the spice of life , you can't eat steak every night or you'll get sick of it .... or will you ? ;)
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 06:47 PM   #5
oldsalt
"TRF" Member

Watch: ?????
Tastes change with time... enjoy the ride.

cheers
Old 7 February 2018, 08:25 PM   #6
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
For me, I went through A LOT of different brands before Rolex. You could say I tried the rest, but ultimately settled on the best!

Makes me happy to wear a Rolex, but you need to be happy with your decision too.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 08:46 PM   #7
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I often feel like that; it's a mix of things. The worst is the suspicion that modern Rolex design is about signalling that you are wearing a Rolex. Too shiny, too showy. A bit, well, brash.
However, they remain superbly well-made and durable. So I find it all difficult. At present I can't see myself buying any more, but we will see. Certainly, the market, the people buying them, has changed. Which is what Rolex clearly wanted, because sales have boomed.
And you can't argue with success.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 08:59 PM   #8
tommy91
"TRF" Member

All the time it's a love hate relationship with rolex, I could never not have a couple though I have tried that and regretted it almost straight away.
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 09:04 PM   #9
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
For someone falling out of love you must conflicted with 2 new ones coming.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 09:19 PM   #10
rgwarden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
The worst is the suspicion that modern Rolex design is about signalling that you are wearing a Rolex. Too shiny, too showy. A bit, well, brash.

This rings too true in my opinion. All those years I wore my Omega Seamaster and loved that it was solidly made and very rarely noticed, and had cost me good but not silly money.
Then I saw the BLNR and turned into Gollum in my mission to own one. Trouble is once I’d worn it for year I started to kind of hate it for shouting Rolex at me from every angle.
The really telling point was going on holiday and taking the Seamaster instead! So I flipped the BLNR but kept my hand in with a black 16570 in its place, and I’m happier because it doesn’t shout so much. It’s lasted longer so we’ll see.
But I still have days where I yearn for what I was like before Rolex got its claws into me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rgwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 09:20 PM   #11
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk2
I too have left Rolex from time to time to focus on a few Omega watches, but I always come back to my first true love....Rolex.

2016 Explorer 214270 Mk2 - 1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 09:31 PM   #12
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
Defiantly something special about wearing a rolex

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 09:35 PM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takonwong View Post
Having said all that I am still getting the Hulk and waiting for there blue dial Skydweller as for me no other watch does the green dial like the Hulk! And the Skydweller is for me the most ingenious annual calendar.
i know what you mean here and i agree. There is a reference or two that im interested in now, but overall its much less than in the past where would have considered many more to add to the collection. Nothing wrong with that.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 09:36 PM   #14
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

So true that taste changes over time . Like others here I have several other brands but keep coming back to Rolex . At some point though I can see consolidating and adding AP, VC, another PP... short of these not sure other brands will give me the same feeling as when I put on a Rolex. I love Tudor (have 2), but to me they are not on par w Rolex and hence priced accordingly .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 09:41 PM   #15
Kelvins13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner D 16610
Bought my Sub date in ‘04 and haven’t really had any desire to wear anything else. Not to say I haven’t looked at any others, just don’t care to purchase another watch that won’t get any wrist time. I knew what I wanted when I purchased it and it has served me well. To be honest, I don’t feel I’m putting on a “Rolex” every morning, I’m putting on my watch.
Kelvins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 09:50 PM   #16
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I understand the thought. I have always loved the Rolex diver but have moved into and out of other brands over the years. I am a huge Tudor fan as the design, quality and wearablity is one of the best in the watch market. It is priced in the range that you can buy and move around in the brand without getting hurt. My current new favorite is Omega. Quality watches that you can buy pre-owned or significantly discounted new and enjoy. Rolex is trying my patience with the lack of availiblity and information. Not enough to make me move away completely but enough to push me into another direction.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 09:55 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If you’re tired of the brand, try another one. That’s what this hobby is all about

Just let someone else enjoy the two incomings
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 10:00 PM   #18
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
I know we are on the Rolex forum and I may get blasted for this but is anyone else falling out of love or getting bored with Rolex or their watches?

I used to have a few Rolex watches (SD anniversary, Daytona, Sub, Yachtmaster) but now I only have the 16610LV and a TT GMT, I kept the TT as I don't have another TT or GMT but I even then I am thinking of selling or swapping it out as I don't really wear it. I still really respect the brand and defend it massively when ADs of other watches that don't have Rolex slate them, BUT I find the watches a bit stale...
I think Tudor has had an effect on me, similar looks and you get massive bang for buck.Is Rolex really worth that much more over a Tudor? Another member posted it was buying the sub that got him excited but once he got it home the effect quickly wore off.
I rotate between my Tudor BBBlack, Hamilton Pan europ chrono for daily and the APRO or VC overseas if I'm going somewhere nicer or for a more formal meeting. I never picked the Rolex(s) unless I made a conscious effort.

Tastes change and nothing wrong with that. Put them away in the bank safe for a year and see what happens. Plenty of other fun watch brands to try.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 10:06 PM   #19
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Lack of availability is definitely one thing and apart from my current Rolex AD which are superb in attitude, others I have encountered have this superior attitude that puts me off as well as the attitude of other owners "not on this forum" I think, that like to shout about the fact they are wearing a Rolex. Doesn't mean I don't like the watches, for me excellent build and amazing time keeping accuracy but the three handers just lack something. Like I said the two I want I would want if they were other brands. Why don't other brands make a green diver? Or if they do please enlighten me.
Old 7 February 2018, 10:09 PM   #20
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Personally, If you want value I would check out Seiko and save bunch of money, Seiko makes beautiful and iconic watch without the big price tag for the status symbol. IMO materialism doesn't necessarily bring happiness or completeness after you spend a large chunk of money for something that signifies your good feeling financial status that nobody real cares about.

I like my Rolex but outside of this forum very few knows what a SD43 or LV are, I don't even tell my friends how much my Rolex costs because to them that's crazy to spend that much money on an obsolete time telling machine.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 10:22 PM   #21
Enicarman
"TRF" Member

I really am trying to convince myself that you currently get what you pay for with a Rolex. The price disparity is just too big when it comes to intrinsic quality differences.
Now it seems that most of the value lies not in the watch, but the name-fame. I will just stick with my old models which were bought when a Rolex was sold as a work watch, not a fashion statement.
Enicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 10:36 PM   #22
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
For someone falling out of love you must conflicted with 2 new ones coming.

FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 10:40 PM   #23
hannism
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
OP,

Tastes change, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

I’m getting my first Rolex today, a BLNR.

I never hated Rolex, but I never thought I would own one. I always thought that they were overpriced. Lately, I’ve changed my mind and am considering it as an investment. I also want to have something to pass down to my daughter.

(I know that sounds strange, pass a 40mm watch to a girl)

I do have one question for you, since you’ve had Rolex and other luxury brands.

How did you do on selling your Rolexes and the other luxury brands like Omega?

Did you break even, lose or make money? If it’s personal, just ignore my question.
hannism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 10:45 PM   #24
Angry-Gardener
"TRF" Member

I find the spectrum of motivation for this watch hobby fascinating, and I love the diversity. I’m not sure I completely understand my own rational for having more than a few “nice” watches in the drawer. I will say, I’ve rarely bought a watch that I haven’t given huge dedicated wrist time to but, over time some watches fall out of rotation. I often think I should declutter and sell those, but I’m not experienced at selling or trading.

I guess the difference has to be your “love” is based on something other than wearing your watches. It also does not seem to be based on traditional collecting themes like nostalgia, rarity or future value. You have all these nice, newish, expensive Rolexes that you don’t enjoy wearing, and two more inbound. Fascinating!

Maybe it isn’t your love of Rolex that’s fading, maybe what’s fading (or evolving) is your motivation for acquiring. Maybe your collection needs a new purpose other than, presumably, acquiring and ownership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Angry-Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 10:49 PM   #25
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
I have lots of hobbies. Watches is just one of them. When I’m bored with Rolex, I continue to wear mine, but focus on other hobbies (and forums). I’ll be interested again probably around Basel. Once that excitement wears off, I’ll be in to other things for a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 11:02 PM   #26
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Rolex is probably my least favorite watch company, and I prefer watches on straps. Why I have owned so many Rolex watches over the years is beyond me. It is just a hobby for me.
Old 7 February 2018, 11:03 PM   #27
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Personally, If you want value I would check out Seiko and save bunch of money, Seiko makes beautiful and iconic watch without the big price tag for the status symbol. IMO materialism doesn't necessarily bring happiness or completeness after you spend a large chunk of money for something that signifies your good feeling financial status that nobody real cares about.

I like my Rolex but outside of this forum very few knows what a SD43 or LV are, I don't even tell my friends how much my Rolex costs because to them that's crazy to spend that much money on an obsolete time telling machine.
I have a Seiko Presage power reserve and I have got their new blue enamel dial Presage. The dial is amazingly beautiful.
Old 7 February 2018, 11:09 PM   #28
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:

I think it’s 100% natural to go through things like this. Often it’s not the brand getting stale but just us getting stale with the brand. My bet is when finally get s Hulk or a SkyD you will be rejuvenated and find a new appreciation for Rolex.

I myself have moved my collection around several times including and not including Rolex. Somehow I always come back to them though!

Old 7 February 2018, 11:12 PM   #29
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannism View Post
OP,

Tastes change, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

I’m getting my first Rolex today, a BLNR.

I never hated Rolex, but I never thought I would own one. I always thought that they were overpriced. Lately, I’ve changed my mind and am considering it as an investment. I also want to have something to pass down to my daughter.

(I know that sounds strange, pass a 40mm watch to a girl)

I do have one question for you, since you’ve had Rolex and other luxury brands.

How did you do on selling your Rolexes and the other luxury brands like Omega?

Did you break even, lose or make money? If it’s personal, just ignore my question.
I did ok with most of the Rolex watches but that's because the market's gone crazy. I bought the Daytona (2012) for £6000 and sold it for £9000!BLNR I sold to my father in law at no gain / loss. The sub I bought for £5000, Yachtmaster I bought for £6000 etc. I did have two LVs and sold one to a friend for £4500 because that's what I bought it for, for him it was going to be his most expensive watch ever but he always wanted one since they were advertised on billboards way back when. Other than that he doesn't know about watches.

I've mostly broke even with Omegas but that's because I usually buy preowned from private sellers, Aquaterra,POs.

I know if I ever sell the VC I'll take a good hit but I love it, no one knows what it is and that's part of the appeal. I've learned to buy what I like and not care what others think.
Old 7 February 2018, 11:17 PM   #30
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I think it’s 100% natural to go through things like this. Often it’s not the brand getting stale but just us getting stale with the brand. My bet is when finally get s Hulk or a SkyD you will be rejuvenated and find a new appreciation for Rolex.

I myself have moved my collection around several times including and not including Rolex. Somehow I always come back to them though!

You're right, it's me getting stale with the brand. I do hope they bring out something fresh for Baselworld 2018 but not holding my breath. I've had a Hulk before but didn't appreciate it as much back then and sold it before prices went crazy, this time it won't leave the collection. If I ever consolidate the AP and Hulk will be there. I will look at the Sky dweller but I may opt for the IWC Portuguese Annual calendar in blue instead after comparing. Sky dweller complications are very cool but the IWC classier imo.