The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2018, 11:20 PM   #31
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takonwong View Post
You're right, it's me getting stale with the brand. I do hope they bring out something fresh for Baselworld 2018 but not holding my breath. I've had a Hulk before but didn't appreciate it as much back then and sold it before prices went crazy, this time it won't leave the collection. If I ever consolidate the AP and Hulk will be there. I will look at the Sky dweller but I may opt for the IWC Portuguese Annual calendar in blue instead after comparing. Sky dweller complications are very cool but the IWC classier imo.

The IWC annual calendar is beautiful. That’s a hard choice. Just be sure to get the IWC used as they seem to drop in value quite a bit compared to the SkyD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 February 2018, 11:32 PM   #32
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I tried moving on from Rolex. And in some ways, I have.

But no matter where I look, no company does it better.

A great solid watch, that has a nice design, good lume, water resistant, durable and comes with good resale.

It is just hard to find something that tops that.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 11:39 PM   #33
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I have two. A Sub I paid $1k for brand new many years ago, and a DJ36 that was a gift. I don't consider watches a passionate hobby, but I do have a few others from Omega, B&M, Oris, as well as a number of Citizen, Casio, Victorinox. I am not in the market for a new watch, and would not pay the current prices for any Swiss automatic over $500. They just don't mean that much to me. Honestly, I get almost as big a kick out of my $44.00 Casio wr200 "Marlin" as my Sub. To each their own. Enjoy them if you enjoy them.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 11:40 PM   #34
Feh
"TRF" Member

No one cares about what you’re wearing. Whether it’s a Timex, Casio or a Patek. Only people into the hobby know.
Feh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 11:47 PM   #35
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Nothing wrong with getting out of Rolex. You can get back in later if/when something tickles your fancy.

I only have one Rolex - my grail watch. The GMT Master II 16710 BLRO. Still has enough pizzazz to keep me smitten.
Old 8 February 2018, 12:02 AM   #36
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

each major brand has a whole lot to offer that the others dont. go pre owned and try new things, if you dont like it- flip it for minimal loss. could find something you didnt know you loved or even remind you what you liked about rolex in the first place. Breitling's polishing on a cloudy day is addicting, omega has great lines switching between polished and brushed surfaces and the lume is amazing, IWC is practically wearing a piece of history imo, Tudor has some of the best nods to their past out right now, and really the list goes on and on........ so try something new
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 12:08 AM   #37
the_natural
"TRF" Member

I feel this a little bit, too. On more than one occasion I've thought about flipping my Explorer for a Black Bay 36. Such a great value, not to mention it looks nearly the same as my Explorer. But so far, haven't been able to do it.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 12:16 AM   #38
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
There’s typically one watch from most other big names that I want. I would love to get an FP Journe Chronometre Bleu for example. But I don’t really care for too many others in the line up.

Rolex however consistently has at least a dozen watches that I really want. I think this speaks both positively and negatively of the brand. Meaning the watches overall are very similar, relatively speaking. Cases, bezels, bracelets, dials, they’re all similar. I could see how one might get bored.

I’m not though, love them all!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 12:21 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Keep trying other brands, Lange, Journe, Breguet etc, as variety is the spice of life... and divorce. I had a period where I stayed away from Rolex, then went heavily in, and now I'm brand neutral really as I like a whole bunch, but I do think their Basel releases of recent years have been very interesting and keep things fresh, just obtaining them now is becoming a hassle.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 12:30 AM   #40
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takonwong View Post

I know we are on the Rolex forum and I may get blasted for this but is anyone else falling out of love or getting bored with Rolex or their watches?

Having said all that I am still getting the Hulk and waiting for there blue dial Skydweller as for me no other watch does the green dial like the Hulk! And the Skydweller is for me the most ingenious annual calendar.
Wait...what?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 12:34 AM   #41
gliderpilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: your attitude
I am not a passionate watch collector and have no need for jewelry. I like Omega’s approach to producing quality SS watches without the hype and marketing games much better. However, I ended up with Rolex GMT because I couldn’t find a watch that would better satisfy my requirements:
1) Robust
2) No more than 40mm
3) No thicker than 12mm
4) Automatic
5) GMT with jumping hour hand
6) Readable in low light (including the date)
7) Capable of handling recreational scuba diving
8) SS, ceramic, sapphire for scratch resistance
9) Long term serviceability
10) Made without quality compromises

I am not a big fan of the judgmental looks it sometimes creates, although it can be considered a helpful “socialize with caution” indicator. But if Omega (or some other down to Earth) manufacturer made the above watch, I would likely wear it instead ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gliderpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 12:39 AM   #42
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Wait...what?
Breakup Sex
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 12:59 AM   #43
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Wait...what?
Like I said, the reason for wanting those is not because they're Rolex, its because I find them interesting and different enough to want.
Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 01:01 AM   #44
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
The IWC annual calendar is beautiful. That’s a hard choice. Just be sure to get the IWC used as they seem to drop in value quite a bit compared to the SkyD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I've been checking the pre owned prices for the IWC. It is simply oozing class imo and a much cleaner, clearer way of showing the day dates than most others.
Old 8 February 2018, 01:58 AM   #45
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Heresy. Thou shalt have naught before you but Rolex.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 02:06 AM   #46
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Personally, If you want value I would check out Seiko and save bunch of money, Seiko makes beautiful and iconic watch without the big price tag for the status symbol. IMO materialism doesn't necessarily bring happiness or completeness after you spend a large chunk of money for something that signifies your good feeling financial status that nobody real cares about.

I like my Rolex but outside of this forum very few knows what a SD43 or LV are, I don't even tell my friends how much my Rolex costs because to them that's crazy to spend that much money on an obsolete time telling machine.
Yeah, the cell phone makes the tradition watch, mechanical or quartz, totally unnecessary and strictly a piece of jewelry. More and more people it seems to me are not wearing watches at all and they apparently love the freedom that gives. Just think years ago a solid gold watch was the premiere retirement gift, now retires want freedom from time.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 02:08 AM   #47
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
All sounds very natural to me. I went through this a few years ago with Breitlings. At one point I had 5 Super Avengers in the watchbox along with a trio of Chronomat Evolutions. As my tastes and preferences changed I fell out of love with Breitling and started to unload a few them to make way for other brands. That's the beauty of this hobby, as tastes change it is relatively easy to move some pieces to acquire others! At this time I have one Super Avenger left in the watchbox that I keep for sentimental reasons and although I do wear it very rarely (maybe 5 times/year) it does remind me of some of the good times that were had wearing it.
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 02:13 AM   #48
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
...now retires want freedom from time.
Wearing a watch doesn't make anyone a slave to time, beyond the extent to which we are all at the mercy of time.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 02:42 AM   #49
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
Heresy. Thou shalt have naught before you but Rolex.
Old 8 February 2018, 02:49 AM   #50
Ad11wrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Yeah, the cell phone makes the tradition watch, mechanical or quartz, totally unnecessary and strictly a piece of jewelry. More and more people it seems to me are not wearing watches at all and they apparently love the freedom that gives. Just think years ago a solid gold watch was the premiere retirement gift, now retires want freedom from time.
wise words.
Ad11wrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 04:18 AM   #51
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Thou shalt not covet..another mans watch...lol...
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 04:23 AM   #52
Houston77
"TRF" Member

I am falling more in love with Rolexes. My IWC is my favorite watch, but I have to be cautious with it, wind it, and my 1980s DateJust keeps better time. Rolex's combination of beauty and bulletproofness is wonderful.
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 04:25 AM   #53
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I think a bit of brand and style diversity is a good thing. I now have only one Rolex and 2 omegas and love all three. The Rolex will be the one I will never sell (LV) but I have three pretty different watches and for me the telling thing is whether they make you smile when it’s their turn in the rotation. If they do, great. If not move them on and find something else. Just try not to lose too much in the interrim.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 04:41 AM   #54
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I would like that to happen to me, on the contrary I have been obsessed with Rolex since I was 13 years old until today, a few decades later! and I spend the day smiling every time I see the time, I've had other wonderful brands just to miss a Rolex
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:42 AM   #55
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

For some, it’s the hunt and the new acquisition that gets em going.

After the initial honeymoon phase is over, they get bored... and is ready for another hunt.

If this is you, no brand will satisfy u long term at this time IMO
Old 8 February 2018, 05:50 AM   #56
GHETTONA
Banned

Watch: Daytona
I feel like its better to not care too much about your watches. I used to get tired of my watches very easily because i cared too much about how beautiful they looked. If you start to wear them without thinking too much, i believe you will get to enjoy wearing your watches more
GHETTONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 06:33 AM   #57
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I tried moving on from Rolex. And in some ways, I have.

But no matter where I look, no company does it better.

A great solid watch, that has a nice design, good lume, water resistant, durable and comes with good resale.

It is just hard to find something that tops that.
All very compelling factors.

One other thing you've left out which I find even more compelling is the very high standard of a world wide service network.
I know some won't necessarily agree with me on this based upon their own personal experience, but my experience has been very good overall with a bit of a mixture but Rolex has always committed to put everything right in the end.
With other watch brands my service experience has been less favourable.

I would like to add that I think the day to day performance of my Rolex watches has been consistently good or better and absolutely reliable.
It's this aspect of the brand that has built the highly regarded reputation of Rolex watches in the market place and in the industry as a whole.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 08:55 AM   #58
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Tudor is fantastic value for money, and there are absolutely watches that Tudor makes that I would buy over their closest Rolex counterparts. The Ranger, for example, gives the Explorer a run for its money, especially if you have a larger wrist. The Black Bay isn’t as good as the Submariner, but it has variety in color and is itself an incredible value (and about as charming as you can get if it’s the ETA version). And I would absolutely take the Monte Carlo reissue, in any color offered, over the, in my opinion, beautiful but hard to read Daytona.

But I’m a hopeful man. I believe Rolex and Tudor belong together. That’s why I’m glad to have both.
Raza_actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 08:55 AM   #59
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Not with Rolex as a whole, but what I CAN TELL YOU is that I wanted a BLNR so bad a few months ago. As time has passed by, my desire for one has dwindled into oblivion. My AD will get one in March and I don´t know what to tell him because he is bringing it for me.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 09:02 AM   #60
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
Not with Rolex as a whole, but what I CAN TELL YOU is that I wanted a BLNR so bad a few months ago. As time has passed by, my desire for one has dwindled into oblivion. My AD will get one in March and I don´t know what to tell him because he is bringing it for me.
I think this is common, which is why I do not do impulse buys, I try to wait at least a couple of months to see if it is real love or just short infatuation, altho in recent months the temptations have never been stronger.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote