The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 February 2018, 06:20 AM   #91
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Check it if you feel the need, but it’s a waste of money; Tony is 100% Responsable and respectable.
For sure.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 06:27 AM   #92
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Tony is totally trustworthy, the only problem I see here is ... if the watch is used and been traded around a bit it might be a mistake to take it to an rsc, what if they confiscate it....if it makes you feel better have a local AD open the case, there is no way the outside of the watch is questionable, tony or any of the trusted would spot it in a second
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 06:52 AM   #93
janagler
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
I always like buying new from an ad, but there were plenty of times I didn’t. I got over it as I got to know what I was doing more and more. But totally understand your POV
janagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 07:18 AM   #94
RollieRoll
Banned

READ THIS:

Someone stated that the trusted sellers do not open up all the watches, BUT, based on my discussions with various TS here, I am VERY confident that there are some sellers that without exception, open up EVERY WATCH THEY GET, even if it's a watch from another TS! What do I mean? I mean if Sohail gets a watch from Tony or David or Patrick to then sell to someone else, at least one of those names will OPEN THE WATCH.

Now, on another note: some of those names I just mentioned have gotten screwed before, even after taking reasonable steps, BIG TIME! This should be of NO SURPRISE! IT happens in any business, it's called a loss or cost of doing business. You buy from a TS because they have a reputation and something to lose! You never have 100% certainty that there was no intervention by someone who compromised the authenticity of the watch. You just have a degree of reasonable certainty that everything is legit when you deal with a TS here. AND you have a reasonable expectation that, should there be any issues, they will REMEDY them, even if they are out thousands of dollars.

Some people are just more risk adverse, some are more suspecious or cautious, and there is nothing particularly wrong with either.

I ENCOURAGE you to go get it autheticated at an AD. Talk to Ben or Josh when you get there and pay the fee. Not because that is the rational thing to do, but it's what is going to give you POM!!!! That's ALL that is important here, nothing else. Not your seller, not the brand, not what your friends tell you - it's all about your state of mind and your enjoyment of your time piece.

Someone said that they make very good replicas ...Yes! They make one to one AAA replicas that are very very difficult to ascertain authenticity. Even when you open up the watch, the 3135 movements stamps and everything would be there and only a highly trained or experience person would be able to distinguish a fake from a genuine. I'm sure the Tony and his watchmaker make all efforts to safeguard against any fakes coming and AND GOING OUT, but it's very clear you will not be satisfied until ROLEX gives you the nod. So go get it!

With respect to naming Tony on this thread, as far as I'm concerned, you only added to his already prestine reputation . And when you get back from your trip to BH, and you update this thread, you will only reinforce his already impeccable rep. so don't stress about the fact that you named him.

I'm sure Tony gave you a great deal and I think it's awesome that you took this route. Don't let your state of mind discourage you from buying from another TS here. If everything goes right, which we are all confident it will, just buy from Tony again and go to BH and you will still probably be way ahead!

Hope to hear any update from you soon!
RollieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 07:24 AM   #95
RollieRoll
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmoeck View Post
Tony is totally trustworthy, the only problem I see here is ... if the watch is used and been traded around a bit it might be a mistake to take it to an rsc, what if they confiscate it....if it makes you feel better have a local AD open the case, there is no way the outside of the watch is questionable, tony or any of the trusted would spot it in a second
??? Why would they do this? Because it changed hands? OP if they confiscate your watch, we are talking a different ball game and Tony will be out a lot of money, which will leave him with the remedy of going against his seller.
RollieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 07:33 AM   #96
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
If your Rolex was not purchased from a Rolex AD have it checked out for your peace of mind.

I am sure your are not alone.

I have certainly done this.
I have bought a few from trusted sellers. I always take them to have them authenticated within the 3 day window I get.

Tony has a good rep, and if there was ever anything wrong, I'm sure he would make it right for you.
WS9D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 07:36 AM   #97
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis View Post
Is there ever any doubt in your mind that what you bought could very well be inauthentic, or am I just being overly paranoid?
I'd say your are being "overly paranoid."

Life is full of risks - the best we can do for ourselves is take reasonable precautions and get on with our lives.

You bought from a very respected TRF seller and pics are up of your purchase.

I'd say that's plenty safe; and, I bet you got a fair price, too.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 07:41 AM   #98
David5807
"TRF" Member

I know a lot of people don't share my feelings but I only shop at ADs for just this reaaon.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 08:25 AM   #99
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieRoll View Post
??? Why would they do this? Because it changed hands? OP if they confiscate your watch, we are talking a different ball game and Tony will be out a lot of money, which will leave him with the remedy of going against his seller.

Buying used in general... you never know if somewhere along the line it was reported stolen , you just never know how many hands abused watch has gone through
Old 12 February 2018, 08:32 AM   #100
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
as others have said, there is a reason why he is one of the ts here. You can tell this by all of the responses. I’ve never purchased from him, but i would without hesitation.

+1
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 08:37 AM   #101
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If it gives you piece of mind why not?

Tony is a respected seller here and stands behind everything he sells.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 09:23 AM   #102
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
I know a lot of people don't share my feelings but I only shop at ADs for just this reaaon.
Many AD's do not sell pre owned. Only new.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 10:24 AM   #103
Swashplate
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Piece of mind costs what it costs and to the individual it is worth every cent.
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 10:43 AM   #104
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchfellow View Post
This might be one of the most naïve statement I've read today.
You want to explain or just insult?
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 11:30 AM   #105
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I have nothing against trusted sellers. But I’m willing to bet that not every trusted seller is inspecting every piece of every watch. This day in age where parts are chopped up and replaced with fake parts I think the only way to know your watch is 100% authentic without taking off the case back and inspecting the movement is to buy from an AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 February 2018, 11:40 AM   #106
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Not irrational, but I like many others already know the results of RSC's check. In the future help yourself out and buy from an AD...watches are for fun not anxiety. Tony would never handle anything less than 100% authentic.

I totally agree. But the key piece to this is knowingly handle.

I can say that I know of an instance where a watch was sold by a trusted seller and after the sale the watch was found to be a Franken. It had a real movement but a fake case. Trusted seller made good on it but it still exchanged hands unknowingly.

Old 12 February 2018, 12:08 PM   #107
J. W. Hall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Yes, bad form. No disrespect to OP, but hopefully lesson learned.

On the other side of the coin: being new here, I’ve not heard of Tony before. But after reading comment after comment about how great and trustworthy Tony is, I would buy a watch from him without hesitation. The OP has actually helped Tony’s image, at least to me. Food for thought.

J. W. Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 12:20 PM   #108
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I have nothing against trusted sellers. But I’m willing to bet that not every trusted seller is inspecting every piece of every watch. This day in age where parts are chopped up and replaced with fake parts I think the only way to know your watch is 100% authentic without taking off the case back and inspecting the movement is to buy from an AD.

Well, maybe it’s time to AD or nothing
Old 12 February 2018, 12:21 PM   #109
Mrcoach32
"TRF" Member

Not being paranoid at all. Better to be safe than sorry, and you should do it if it gives you peace of mind.
Rolex 116610LN, Rolex 116710BLNR, Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 126600, Panerai PAM01320, Omega Planet Ocean 232.90.42.21.03.001, Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005, Omega Seamaster 300M 2531.80.00, Tudor Pelagos LHD 25610TNL, Seiko SBDC007, Casio G-Shock GSTS130BC-1A
Mrcoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 12:31 PM   #110
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. W. Hall View Post
On the other side of the coin: being new here, I’ve not heard of Tony before. But after reading comment after comment about how great and trustworthy Tony is, I would buy a watch from him without hesitation. The OP has actually helped Tony’s image, at least to me. Food for thought.

When you have 2 forum moderators here who are long time members say they have done multiple transactions with Tony that should be proof he is good as gold.
Old 12 February 2018, 02:24 PM   #111
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you can't buy from one of the most trusted sellers on this forum without worrying, you need to buy from an AD only. The trusted sellers on here are just that ...trusted sellers
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 03:08 PM   #112
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

So where did you buy your round trip ticket from?? The internet?...... exactly my point!
Old 12 February 2018, 03:27 PM   #113
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
There’s absolutely no problem checking it for authenticity. It is your watch, and it should be something that gives you happiness and not uncertainty. If a trip to the RSC will remove that uncertainty then I’d support that 100%.

You’re not being paranoid ...just careful. I would say paying $150 to get peace of mind over a purchase that cost you (maybe) $8,000 is money well spent.

As for others - different people have different views on the matter. There are some (like me) who’d only buy from an AD (while I travel all the time, my home market has many fakes and my personal nature would have me worrying about authenticity if I didn’t buy from an AD). Others are perfectly fine with buying from TS, and to be honest the large TS simply have too much to lose playing funny games. Then there are those in the middle ..a little .nervous at first, but gaining confidence with each subsequent purchase from a TS. Kind of like the first scratch on your watch ...worrisome at first, but eases with each passing day.

Take the watch to the RSC and get your peace of mind. Peace of mind is definitely worth more than a buck fifty.
Are you from Nairobi or an EXPAT? I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nairobi. Great people and culture.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 03:28 PM   #114
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftd View Post
In my opinion the established trusted sellers on this website would never jeopardize their reputation on this or any other site by selling a fake or frankenwatch, or misrepresent the condition of the watch.
I agree that a TS would never intentionally sell a watch that's not 100% authentic. But do all TSs have the capability to examine each watch on the outside and inside with the expertise to determine that the watch is 100% authentic?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 08:56 PM   #115
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
So where did you buy your round trip ticket from?? The internet?...... exactly my point!
If you are comparing a flight ticket (routinely sold via authorised agents) with a luxury item (which cannot be purchased online from an authorised agent) you've somewhat missed the point Doc

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 09:01 PM   #116
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I totally agree. But the key piece to this is knowingly handle.

This.

I've no issue buying from a grey or "trusted seller" because if there was to be an issue, albeit it is extremely unlikely that there ever would be, you have complete peace of mind that it would be put right.

But the only way to guarantee 100% authenticity is to buy brand new from an authorised dealer.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 09:03 PM   #117
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I've tried AD and I've tried grey. Nothing beats the peace of mind of an AD especially when spending several thousands on a watch. I've saved a lot going grey but with hindsight I'd rather pay more (while still getting a nice discount from the AD) than worry about what I'm going to get by mail.

With the AD, you see what you buy, you can catch imperfections, you walk with a watch and not a promise that a watch will be shipped. There's a big difference psychologically speaking. I dont care so much for less expensive watches, bought many from the web, but it can be nerve wracking with the expensive stuff.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 09:06 PM   #118
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
I Know the feeling i had an incredible deal on a deepsea years ago and put it in for a service way before it needed it just so it would get the green light and a two year warrenty. Now i only shop at AD but thats my mental block problem lol.
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 09:18 PM   #119
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
Have dealt with tony before and know many who have as well.no need to worry dealing him at all.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 11:55 PM   #120
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis View Post
I just want to clear something up; this thread was in no way meant to affect the reputation of my seller. Stating his name was completely in poor taste and should not have done. I apologize.

This thread was made to analyze my mentality. Many of you are used to transactions such as this and given time, I would be too.

My issue was being surrounded by individuals who, after I detailed the transaction to them, made comments that caused this unease to fester. I guess that can happen on a college campus. Regardless, thank you all for your input and comments.
Well for what it's worth, telling some college students about your online Rolex transaction was your first mistake. Most likely they have no knowledge about purchasing a Rolex watch online and have no idea who Tony is and his stellar reputation as an independent watch dealer. BTW, I myself had a great transaction with him. For a watch in excess of 25k.