The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12 February 2018, 07:46 AM   #1
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Why is there a shortage of SS sports models?

Why is there a shortage of SS sports models? 20 years ago it seemed like every AD had doubles of every SS sports model and was readily offering discounts.

Is it that the current "typical" buyer is more "sporty" in fashion and taste?
As in, the older generation would pick something on a strap or something like a Datejust?

It appears to my untrained eye that Rolex isn't meeting demand. Are they disconnected to the economic trends? Perhaps, not too concerned - being a charity?

Or, maybe they are shrewder then they appear - letting out SS models at a trickle, further pushing up their brand?
Old 12 February 2018, 07:48 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
More demand than supply
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 12 February 2018, 07:49 AM   #3
Leahorsfall
"TRF" Member

It’s all us rolex collectors talk about these days!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12 February 2018, 07:53 AM   #4
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Are you looking for an actual answer, or countless pages of speculation (to add to the already countless pages in other threads)? Because you will certainly get the latter. No one here can provide the former.
Old 12 February 2018, 08:07 AM   #5
mangoseed
Banned

Worldwide demand has increased substantially while overall production numbers have remained about the same. Although many conspiracy theorists here will say that Rolex is deliberately limiting the supply.
Old 12 February 2018, 08:15 AM   #6
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
I don't think it's as bad as some make it seem.

I agree with many here the simplest of the answers is heightened demand.

With that said I can get any SS sports model from my AD within 4 weeks, exception being the Daytona and Blue Dial Skydweller. I simply need to send my AD a text right now and I'll have it within a few weeks wait time max.

Want to bet me? I'm just looking for a reason to buy a BLNR lol.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Old 12 February 2018, 08:16 AM   #7
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Rolex frenzy.
Old 12 February 2018, 08:31 AM   #8
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdwh View Post

With that said I can get any SS sports model from my AD within 4 weeks, exception being the Daytona and Blue Dial Skydweller. I simply need to send my AD a text right now and I'll have it within a few weeks wait time max.

Ok, I’d like to see a hulk, black SkyD, and blnr on your wrist within 4. And, go
Old 12 February 2018, 08:32 AM   #9
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdwh View Post

I'll take that bet. Your time starts now. Go get em tiger.
Old 12 February 2018, 08:34 AM   #10
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why is there a shortage of SS sports models? 20 years ago it seemed like every AD had doubles of every SS sports model and was readily offering discounts.

Is it that the current "typical" buyer is more "sporty" in fashion and taste?
As in, the older generation would pick something on a strap or something like a Datejust?

It appears to my untrained eye that Rolex isn't meeting demand. Are they disconnected to the economic trends? Perhaps, not too concerned - being a charity?

Or, maybe they are shrewder then they appear - letting out SS models at a trickle, further pushing up their brand?
Objection!!! Asked and Answered. Argumentative, No wait, I 'strenuously object'.
Old 12 February 2018, 09:07 AM   #11
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I think the answer is that Rolex has has a great year, and production is now dwindling until after Baselworld (retooling for new models, potential reductions to the catalogue, new movements coming out, etc.). I suspect this is a short-term issue in the US.
Old 12 February 2018, 09:10 AM   #12
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
There's a shortage?

First I'm hearing of it.
Old 12 February 2018, 09:11 AM   #13
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Because people are realizing that Rolex watches are incredible investment vehicles. They're smartly taking their money out of the stock market and buying up SS Professional watches. It's like compound interest on your wrist!

When your financial advisor says to diversify, he clearly meant Rolex SS Professional.
Old 12 February 2018, 09:37 AM   #14
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
My answer is China. Pure and Simple.

The fast growing middle class China population is highly educated, well travelled ,well informed, tech savvy and they are simply blowing away the competition. According to the Gobal Wealth Report findings of Credit Suisse, Zurich, the Chinese middle class has an estimated wealth of about 17 Trillion US dollars and that's roughly 3% of the world's wealth, so their purchasing power is something to be reckoned with.
You can argue, disprove my theory and quote me on this one but I daresay 33% of the world's Rolex SS sports watches, whether you like it or not are destined for the ever expanding markets in mainland China, Hong Kong ,Japan, Singapore and South Korea....
Old 12 February 2018, 09:44 AM   #15
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Ok, I’d like to see a hulk, black SkyD, and blnr on your wrist within 4. And, go
I believe he is waiting for someone to bet him $40,000.

Old 12 February 2018, 09:47 AM   #16
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I-am-not-saying_2016_09_01_19_34_00.jpg (38.1 KB, 1164 views)
Old 12 February 2018, 10:02 AM   #17
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Walked in to my AD today new stock avail as compared to last week 1sub date 3 yachtmasters 2 milgauss 3 Daytona’s 1 skydweller, he said he hasn’t heard of the limitations often spoke of here, so with that being said “Only Rolex Knows”
Old 12 February 2018, 10:06 AM   #18
bswanson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky Dweller 326935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticknaway View Post
Walked in to my AD today new stock avail as compared to last week 1sub date 3 yachtmasters 2 milgauss 3 Daytona’s 1 skydweller, he said he hasn’t heard of the limitations often spoke of here, so with that being said “Only Rolex Knows”
What kind of Daytona?

And can I get the number to your AD please? ;)
Old 12 February 2018, 10:09 AM   #19
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
My answer is China. Pure and Simple.
Do you have a chart that shows the Swiss watch exports to other countries, so we have context for the numbers to China?
Old 12 February 2018, 10:11 AM   #20
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswanson View Post
What kind of Daytona?

And can I get the number to your AD please? ;)
Sorry guys not the SS Daytona ceramics or the SS Skydweller sorry for the confusion!!
Old 12 February 2018, 10:27 AM   #21
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Do you have a chart that shows the Swiss watch exports to other countries, so we have context for the numbers to China?
Check out China's appetite for Swiss Watches.Observe countries with negative growths.Hong Kong is on the road to recovery while US is slumping. Although not stated here, my tiny country posted a positive import growth rate of +17.8% last year
Old 12 February 2018, 10:34 AM   #22
Mezz72
"TRF" Member

interesting facts that does give weight to the notion that china is sucking up the supplies.
china is afterall, the biggest holder of usa treasury bills.
Old 12 February 2018, 10:38 AM   #23
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Observe countries with negative growths.Hong Kong is on the road to recovery while US is slumping. Although not stated here, my tiny country posted a positive growth rate of +17.8% last year
Thanks. I think you make a strong argument, although it is difficult to extrapolate the supply of something as specific as Rolex's stainless steel sports models from data about the entirety of the Swiss watch industry, especially when, despite the downturn, the US still ranks second in exports. That said, when we combine Hong Kong and China, we can see the Asian market gets a lot of the Swiss' attention.
Old 12 February 2018, 10:59 AM   #24
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
More demand than supply
Yes and no.
I think it’s more demand today by less people!!
Meaning you have less percent of the population wanting and affording Mir and more Rolex watches to be added to their collection (take a quick look at the signature of people in this one thread along and you will that it averages 4-5 watches per person)

The good thing is now the demand is high by those folks which drives more business for Rolex and drives prices higher

The not so great news is when the current “hoarders” are gone, will the demand continue to the the same by future generations?

20 years ago competition was very limited and it was similar but now the competition is huge and part of the reason demand is high is those who grew seeing their dads admire and love their one Rolex understand that but with less people (But more watches per person) leaves less future generations interest

My logic could be flawed but no way on earth the crazy 50% above MSRP for a daytona can be sustainable for long so either interest will fade or Rolex will produce an “economy watch”!!
Old 12 February 2018, 11:01 AM   #25
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
Rolex is restricting supply to create false scarcity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12 February 2018, 11:20 AM   #26
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I was at my AD this past Friday and they were dry to the bone. It was very sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 February 2018, 11:26 AM   #27
psv
"TRF" Member

It is not very complicated. Rolex has a limit on how many watches it will ship/sell to US ADs, they reached that limit in August 2017, after that they pretty much shipped nothing.

In the beginning of the year, after the holidays, they take global inventory and then decide if there are any changes to prices, production quotas, etc.

Add to that global demand, Asian tourism is picking up again and they love to bring back Rolex and other luxury goods.

Net/net result is that there pretty much zero inventory of ss sport Rolex anywhere, but shipping has begun again. The problem is the pent up demand so anything "good" that comes it is gone right away. It will remain like this for quite some time (maybe the volatility of the stock market this year will slow down the demand).
Old 12 February 2018, 12:13 PM   #28
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
It is not very complicated. Rolex has a limit on how many watches it will ship/sell to US ADs, they reached that limit in August 2017, after that they pretty much shipped nothing.
That leads to the question, how is it Rolex missed the target by so much?
Old 12 February 2018, 12:15 PM   #29
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I think it’s Russian collusion
Old 12 February 2018, 12:20 PM   #30
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticknaway View Post
May I ask, which AD was that?

Yesterday, I visited Geary’s BH and Century City and as far as SS sports models all they had was a single black bezel GMT. A couple days ago I was at Hing Wa Lee San Gabriel and they had nothing in SS sports models. All three stores were up to their elbows in Datejusts and Daydates, though.
Closed Thread