The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 February 2018, 08:31 AM   #121
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Why can’t we all just get along on the AP forum again
Tyler come back to the darkside......
You seem overdue for a Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar!
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:34 AM   #122
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
Why can’t we all just get along on the AP forum again
Tyler come back to the darkside......
You seem overdue for a Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar!
im agreeing with you promise.

man i cant win. The Rolex boutique is a constant thing on the Rolex forum where everyone thinks its Rolex owned. Just trying to help the guy out with generalities.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:37 AM   #123
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its the same owner right? or different ones. Westime has a few.

Those are the ones that are the most interesting to see what happens with. They are the in-between retailers.
Nope, the other 5 are JVs with 4 different retailers (Europe Watch Co, Unique Timepieces, Prince Watch Co and King Fook). What's interesting is that pieces displayed at these "boutiques" - the JV partner name is on the price tags.

HK has seen a pretty big shift in the AP retail landscape. There used to be well over a dozen retailers, and a lot of them have been closed up (including a few boutiques). The former boutique in HK before AP opened up a company one was run by Carlson, which has now been downgraded to a tiny booth in their shop, and not surprisingly, they had the saddest selection of inventory out of all the shops I stepped into in HKG.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:40 AM   #124
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Nope, the other 5 are JVs with 4 different retailers (Europe Watch Co, Unique Timepieces, Prince Watch Co and King Fook). What's interesting is that pieces displayed at these "boutiques" - the JV partner name is on the price tags.

HK has seen a pretty big shift in the AP retail landscape. There used to be well over a dozen retailers, and a lot of them have been closed up (including a few boutiques). The former boutique in HK before AP opened up a company one was run by Carlson, which has now been downgraded to a tiny booth in their shop, and not surprisingly, they had the saddest selection of inventory out of all the shops I stepped into in HKG.
thats one part of the world i have never been. Anything much further east than Dubai and im lost. I know HK is supposedly huge with luxury goods though for a small geographic location.

An AP booth, that sounds like london though.
Old 13 February 2018, 08:55 AM   #125
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Man you go away for half a day and this sheet explodes... again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I'm with you on this. I only bought my first AP just over a year ago (and now have three), but I've been very well treated thus far and made to feel valued by the brand. This said, I've never slagged off AP and, although I don't like any of the 2018 releases (except for one out of my comfort zone, price wise), continue to be excited by the brand and look forward to hopefully buying more APs in the future.

But, I am really fed up with all the AP slagging, particularly by those who don't own the brand. Go slag Rolex off instead, who patently deserve it right now, as they clearly do disrespect their customers.
I've just been on the Rolex forum for half an hour doing pretty much the same thing, so its happening everywhere have no fear.

Quote:
they forgot to tell me my watch was fixed i had to call to complain to find out it was done

they didn't want to let me pick it up because it was a short notice appointment (couldn't schedule in advance because i didn't know my watch was fixed)

they did a full service under warranty and gave me back a dirty watch

bought an extra strap that was jammed inside the cardboard service box (it doesn't even fit in there) when i picked up the watch

they invited me on a manufacture visit and then stood me up and never arranged it or forgot about me or whatever. I got an initial email saying details to follow and then nothing.

Happend to have a call unrelated to that where it came up where i got a big "oops" and then i got an email from someone in the office two hours later and they actually blamed me (in writing) because i didn't respond to a message they never sent. They have my phone number and never called so dont know what that was about.

I responded in writing and then got an apology which then blamed IT issues and that they couldn't send external email and it wasn't my fault... still they could have called if they had IT issues and couldn't send emails

They then tried to get me to go on the trip less than a week from departure, but i declined at that point as i was fed up.

I was told AP direct clients get preferred treatment in some weird sales pitch as a justification for everything. This was in fairness a low level person not anyone in charge. but still
This should be a sticky.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:09 AM   #126
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmstevenson View Post
No boutique in San Francisco, although maybe we are not "world class."
San Fran 'actually' isnt a world class city. Just saying.

aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:11 AM   #127
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
San Fran 'actually' isnt a world class city. Just saying.

I think if you have a professional sports team (no thats not a dig at AP clients, just a market size example) there should be an AP presence.
Old 13 February 2018, 09:11 AM   #128
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
So AP boutiques are owned entirely by AP, unlike Rolex boutiques which are still owned by a third party?
It depends. Las Vegas and Los Angeles, for example, are owned by Westime, not AP. NYC and Bal Harbour are owned by AP.

Edit: sorry, answered before seeing later posts on this.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:15 AM   #129
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Man you go away for half a day and this sheet explodes... again.

I've just been on the Rolex forum for half an hour doing pretty much the same thing, so its happening everywhere have no fear.
its cheaper than therapy Neil. Plus a therapist would probably laugh me out of the office when this is the biggest problem in my life

Sorry guys. I feel better now

all the guys going on and on about the super case rolex's probably feel the same way... i get it now.
Old 13 February 2018, 10:09 AM   #130
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Who are AP's clients these days? I seriously dont know as many, many previously loyal customers are falling away.
Roger, probably. He's been singlehandedly keeping AP in the style to which they are accustomed.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 10:14 AM   #131
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

I can’t imagine buying a 20k+ watch sight unseen. Some of you hill folk are quite brave.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 10:30 AM   #132
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
thats an opinion just like ours. If we feel there is an issue with AP then we discuss it. You have issues with Rolex and discuss that. I dont see the difference and that is a double standard to encourage it with one brand but making it off limits to another brand. Lots of people like AP watches but are very frustrated with the brand decisions which are separate from the watches. Same as people's issues with Rolex.
Some of us feel disrespected by AP to some extent.

Consistency of customer experience is widely varied. There are enough with poor experiences to make it valid. Just as there are enough with outstanding experiences. customer experience with AP is not consistent which is what we are discussing to a large extent. Boutiques mean AP themselves where as with Rolex it means independent AD when discussing brand experience so its even more relevant with AP.

No one is bashing watches... except maybe the colored divers.
Well said Tyler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
I wanted the purple diver, but the Geneva boutique never even wrote me back and I sent the email in perfect French!
That's because you are not a real AP customer.

Quote:

It's the same in Singapore as well. All the traditional ADs like Hour Glass, Cortina have miserable inventories with "nobody want" pieces like iced out ROOs and diamond clad millenaries siting in the shelves for years. Not surprising considering that AP has two boutiques, not one in Singapore.

I guess the problem AP have with me is that despite owning many APs, I bought about half of them only from boutiques and the rest from ADs and did not buy all of them from the same boutique.
Old 13 February 2018, 10:32 AM   #133
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Well said Tyler.

That's because you are not a real AP customer.

It's the same in Singapore as well. All the traditional ADs like Hour Glass, Cortina have miserable inventories with "nobody want" pieces like iced out ROOs and diamond clad millenaries siting in the shelves for years. Not surprising considering that AP has two boutiques, not one in Singapore.

I guess the problem AP have with me is that despite owning many APs, I bought about half of them only from boutiques and the rest from ADs and did not buy all of them from the same boutique.
AP is basically like me in relationships in my younger years - expecting total fidelity and loyalty but still wanting to sleep with whoever I felt like it when something better came along.
Old 13 February 2018, 10:41 AM   #134
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
AP is basically like me in relationships in my younger years - expecting total fidelity and loyalty but still wanting to sleep with whoever I felt like it when something better came along.
They are clearly going after VIP clients with big bucks to spend and the hip and trendy crowd ( aka colored divers ). As I mentioned before, they are becoming more and more like a marketing company rather than a watch comapny. At least this is my perception. As a "traditional" customer, I don't like this but I can't say this is right or wrong from a neutral perspective. It's a business decision that the company took as they deemed fit. As for me, I can't realistically plunk down few hundred Ks at full retail for a tourbillon or grand complication without batting an eyelid so I am starting to look elsewhere for my new watch purchase.

That said, I will still continue to keep all my existing APs for near future and enjoy them. They are after all very nice watches.
Old 13 February 2018, 10:46 AM   #135
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Oh yes. Let’s not forget they’re an amazing brand. I love my Summer Edition and my blue/gold ROC. I’d love a purple diver if one comes up. The open works are very nice and some of the 44mm tourbs arenas well. It’s still one of my 3 favorite brands and I’ll always have an AP or two in my collection.
Old 13 February 2018, 10:49 AM   #136
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I think if you have a professional sports team (no thats not a dig at AP clients, just a market size example) there should be an AP presence.
Forget a pro sports team. If you have $%!# tons of rich people, AP should have a presence. The bay is loaded!
Old 13 February 2018, 11:06 AM   #137
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They are clearly going after VIP clients with big bucks to spend and the hip and trendy crowd ( aka colored divers ). As I mentioned before, they are becoming more and more like a marketing company rather than a watch comapny. At least this is my perception. As a "traditional" customer, I don't like this but I can't say this is right or wrong from a neutral perspective. It's a business decision that the company took as they deemed fit. As for me, I can't realistically plunk down few hundred Ks at full retail for a tourbillon or grand complication without batting an eyelid so I am starting to look elsewhere for my new watch purchase.

That said, I will still continue to keep all my existing APs for near future and enjoy them. They are after all very nice watches.
Exactly how I feel.
Old 13 February 2018, 11:15 AM   #138
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

yep. im having you write my posts from now on. My thoughts pretty much and you didn't piss anyone off.
Old 13 February 2018, 11:23 AM   #139
StevenZ
"TRF" Member

I spoke to the management at Wempe as I wanted to order a specific AP and they told me that at the end of February they will no longer be carrying AP. They said that AP made a decision to strengthen their own distribution more and more over the next few years.
StevenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 11:28 AM   #140
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
The bay is loaded!
But they all wear Apple watches!
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 11:40 AM   #141
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
But they all wear Apple watches!
They can’t all be! HQMILTON is located there
Old 13 February 2018, 11:41 AM   #142
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually, out of 6 AP boutiques in HK, 5 are JVs and 1 is company owned.

The JV ones do not get the boutique exclusives AFAIK (e.g. the 15202), so for all intents and purposes, they are basically ADs that have a "boutique" like setup but aren't actually boutiques.
They DO get boutique only pieces. Can’t speak for BH, but Vegas sure does.
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 11:42 AM   #143
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay821 View Post
They DO get boutique only pieces. Can’t speak for BH, but Vegas sure does.
he means Hong Kong. since they have a proper AP brand owned boutique.
Old 13 February 2018, 11:44 AM   #144
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
he means Hong Kong. since they have a proper AP brand owned boutique.
Oops. Guess I need to take an adderal to follow this
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 11:44 AM   #145
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
I spoke to the management at Wempe as I wanted to order a specific AP and they told me that at the end of February they will no longer be carrying AP. They said that AP made a decision to strengthen their own distribution more and more over the next few years.
Does that mean at the end of February AP buys back current stock? Or they are able to sell the remaining pieces?
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 11:50 AM   #146
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
Does that mean at the end of February AP buys back current stock? Or they are able to sell the remaining pieces?
good question. AFAIK they own them. if they dont sell them i dont know where they get unloaded to. Considering the stock and what it probably is, im not sure AP would want it back. Seriously.

It may end up in a secondary dealer's window. When Marcus in London lost AD status. AP did buy back some stock, but the rest went to a NOS store that he also owned and it stayed there for over a year until that store also closed.
Old 13 February 2018, 12:00 PM   #147
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
Wempe without AP... very sad... tried on many first time APs there.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 12:09 PM   #148
5Zigen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
There isn't a single AP AD in the PACNW
You can always drive 2 hours north to Vancouver as there are 2 locations (same owner) that carry APs but like Toronto, inventory is limited...black dial 15400, safari, elephant, couple lady pieces and they just sold the 44 RG (as of last Friday).
5Zigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 12:34 PM   #149
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Zigen View Post
You can always drive 2 hours north to Vancouver as there are 2 locations (same owner) that carry APs but like Toronto, inventory is limited...black dial 15400, safari, elephant, couple lady pieces and they just sold the 44 RG (as of last Friday).
13% tax
Old 13 February 2018, 12:51 PM   #150
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
Quote:
This is a lounge. Its an appointment only retail outlet in a back alley. It has no watches on display and you cant really browse. Scheduled watch buying. Some people seem to like it I guess.

My AD, one the most important ones in London just demoted AP from their front window display because they get hardly any watches anymore. So i would argue that pop culture popularity depends on brand awareness and brand presence. An unmarked building that no one knows about probably isnt good for that image. Its comes off as cheap and beneath a prestigious brand. I think its a short term money grab more than anything rather than a long term plan for success. I cant see this a sustainable.
I was going to ask WTF a lounge was also. I'm in Canada, in the Toronto area and have a diver. I had it serviced by clearwater during my last trip the Chicago a month ago. AP paid for insured shipping. Now I'm heading to NY next month so they shipped it to the Boutique. Today while researching how far AP was from our hotel I saw two AP's. The boutique and the lounge. I definitely and not going there if there aren't any watches to browse. I'm hoping to check out the 44mm titanium ROO with ceramic bezel and hoping to see the new 42mm of the same ilk. I hate going to the Toronto AD. Recently over the past 18 months my experience there has been better but overall I'm not impressed. I was so happy when Panerai finally got a Toronto boutique I was hoping for AP one day. : (
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote